Thailand'S Expensive, And Where Are The Smiles?

Raldy

Havent been to Thailand in a few years, been mainly going to Cambodia lately for my hols but decided to drop into Thailand on the way this time.

Wish I didn't.

Thailand has basically become as expensive as the west for most things, and the friendly service that I used to see has disappeared.

What happened?

After touching down in Phnom Penh I could feel the change, less pressure, more genuine smiles and less expensive.

Off to Sihanoukville tomorrow to stay for a few weeks, probably wont stop at Thai on the way home, think I'll go straight through.

true, Cambodia is cheaper for the nightlife. that is, if you are after ehem, girls and booze.:whistling:

but last time I went to Cambodia a year ago, seemed like food prices, land prices doubled. and what really matters is not the nightlife costs, but the overall cost of living. and thailand is still rather in

expensive in this category.

true, Cambodia is cheaper for the nightlife. that is, if you are after ehem, girls and booze.:whistling:

but last time I went to Cambodia a year ago, seemed like food prices, land prices doubled. and what really matters is not the nightlife costs, but the overall cost of living. and thailand is still rather in

expensive in this category.

Agreed. When I was in PP, I was shocked at the prices. Traffic? Crazy!

OP: Where in Thailand did you visit? If central Pattaya, then I can understand....but I get smiles all the time here.

Sure Thailand is more expensive than Cambodia for some things but certainly not all.

Try and see how long you will get in an airconditioned taxi in Phnom Penh for 35 B. Nowhere in Phnom Penh. In BKK 1 km.

This is just 1 example where Th is cheaper but many more can be found.

What would you prefer madams/sirs?

Would you like to hire a Mercedez or a Ford?

Naturally, you would have to pay more for a MB.

Like several posters already mentioned,

spend your hard earned currency in whichever, whenever, wherever, whatever and however pleases you.

Even though the consequences that follow your actions might shock you to the extreme, if you are careless. LOL

Sure Thailand is more expensive than Cambodia for some things but certainly not all.

Try and see how long you will get in an airconditioned taxi in Phnom Penh for 35 B. Nowhere in Phnom Penh. In BKK 1 km.

This is the usual Thai-centric nonsense and misinformation.. The two metred taxi companies in Phnom Penh both charge 4000 Riels or just under one US dollar for the first TWO kilometres, and 400 Riels per kilometre thereafter. Admittedly you can't generally flag them down in the street and have to call them, but they arrive quickly and promptly and the metre only starts from when you get in the cab.

Edited by Rumpole

Traffic? Crazy!

As opposed to say, BKK? :lol:

I love Thailand but I sure am happy when I am back in sleepy little Siem Reap. Admittedly, Siem Reap is even more expensive but I think it is about par with Thailand. As for the smiles: I was in BKK in a nice hotel and was amazed at the friendly and efficient service. Service here in Cambodia is very friendly as well, but generally not efficient.

Comparison ? A few years ago my wife decided to work to a budget of $550.00(less than B20,000) to run the household which included apartment/electric/water/cable/internet/gas/food/clothes for her/transport around town/phones and all the other incidetals in running a home , she is still on the same budget . Our apartrment is better apointed than My Thai one , I eat more western food(Home cooking) etc , my visa is yearly by just walking to the friendly travel agent , no bombastic over officious idiots to deal with or runs to wherever just for a stamp in my passport , people are far happier in general and smiles come free of charge , I have not had one solitary confrontation in 5 years other than on Thaivisa .

Coffee B30 a cup , I pay 80 cents for a whole pot of tea(2bags) , full English breakfast $4.50 , Thai I paid B250 minimum for similar quality , cazone $3.00 , Thai paid B200 , the list could be endless , Cambodia gives me far less stress and all of that which I need in my retirement for far less , despite having enjoyed the 7 years I spent in Thailand , for me , you could not pay me to return , there is far too much anger and violence running beneath the surface waiting to explode in your face for no particular reason , my god , even the youths are still killing each other on the street as they were doing 12 years ago in Rangsit .

• Like 1

This is the usual Thai-centric nonsense and misinformation.. The two metred taxi companies in Phnom Penh both charge 4000 Riels or just under one US dollar for the first TWO kilometres, and 400 Riels per kilometre thereafter. Admittedly you can't generally flag them down in the street and have to call them, but they arrive quickly and promptly and the metre only starts from when you get in the cab.

I am sorry I was not aware of this new taxi service. I have certainly not run into it even as I have been in Phnom Penh 2 or 3 times a year for the past several years.

Where do I find phone numbers for booking?

Then a taxi to the airport should only be around 2 or 3 dollars now in stead of the usually around 7 to 9 $ I have paid?

Edited by martin81

i love sihanoukville , far better than thailand but the wife doesnt like it because there is no thai food,annoyed.gif

Kinda hard to come one city to the entire country of Thailand? :huh:

It's an OK city, but not much to do....

That was suppose to say "compare"!!!!

In Phuket it starts at 150-200 baht for less than 1K and that's a noisy,dirty non a/c tuk tuk.

I just went once to Cambodia and my general feelings about the place (have only seen Phnom Phen and ShianoukVille), compared to Thailand, is that people were not so smiley as in here, much more disorganized, always try to steal when buying anything by giving you back the wrong change and also a general unsafe vibe about those places, the Cambodian Tuk Tuk experience was an absurdity as all the drivers were just claiming to not to know were to go once you get in, places also dirtier than Thailand, i went there in the hope it was a better country than the one i am now but i was disappointed by it, a good thing however is that they know how to bake bread and you can find baguettes everywhere, i still have to try the other neighbouring countries, Laos, Burma and maybe even Vietnam but i have the feeling they don't have a much better environment to offer, what are your thoughts?