Favorite Fish & Chip Restaurant?

flyingfox

Went to The Village Chippy for my first F & C meal! Very good. For 120 baht, a large fish fillet came to the roadside table lightly battered- crispy outside, soft inside & really hot. It was accompanied by a good size portion of chips which also were crispy outside, soft inside & really hot. I'm from New England, so I found their tartar sauce a bit too runny, but tasty nonetheless. Even though I was unable to finish my order (if my TGF ever wants to try F & C, we could both definitely share one of these 120 baht dinners), I think next time I'll try their mushy peas (also for the first time) and probably order some curry sauce, too. The Village Chippy... very good!

:wai:

(Try it... if you can't get to Southport!)

Edited by Michaelaway
  • Like 1

The Jolly Friar.

Myself, the misses and daughter went to the Jolly Friar for the first time on Sunday 12th September.

I ordered battered cod, a medium portion of chips and mushy peas.

The misses ordered the John Dory fish and a small portion of chips.

I ordered a medium portion of chips for the little one.

Two cokes and one sprite.

Cost:465 baht

Opinion: The place is very clean to the eye but the misses having worked in a restaurant found the Sauce bottle tops had never seen a cleaning cloth and when she took the red sauce lid off the bottle it was black inside with congealed sauce. I found the brown sauce inner cap to be the same.

When we entered the restaurant the TV was set to some screaming Thai movie channel and took the staff member all of five minutes to change it to BBC world news.

Had the owner been around who I assume is farang he would have spoken to her for having the TV on a Thai channel when theres farang customers in the place.

The service was good and we didnt have to wait long for our food to arrive.

The fish and chips was fine but the mushy peas were dry and barely edible.

Cleanliness: 8 out of 10 (The dirty sauce bottle lids let then down here)

Cost: 9 out of ten.

Service: 9 out of ten.

Food: 8 out of ten (The dry mushy peas lost them at least a point or maybe two)

Conclusion: I would go again and certainly recommend the place.

Edited by nam-thip

Also recently tried the Village and enjoyed it a lot.

Had the local fish, large size. It wasn't huge but large enough, so for big eaters don't you dare order the small.

Good taste, cooked well, not greasy, batter was nice, a bit on the lighter side compared to Pigwhistles and Friars, not a bad thing at all.

The mushy pea order was generous and certainly not dry. Bland but I think its supposed to be bland.

Chips, pretty good, the portion included with the large order, a tad on the small size.

Cost. Great value, better than the competitors.

Tartar sauce, to an American's taste -- BAD. So much water, didn't see any pickle, is it anything but watered down mayo? They ought to offer good tartar sauce at least as an option for cost for those of us who like it.

Edited by Jingthing

Had the local fish, large size. It wasn't huge but large enough, so for big eaters don't you dare order the small.

Good taste, cooked well, not greasy, batter was nice, a bit on the lighter side compared to Pigwhistles and Friars, not a bad thing at all.

The mushy pea order was generous and certainly not dry. Bland but I think its supposed to be bland.

Chips, pretty good, the portion included with the large order, a tad on the small size.

Tartar sauce, to an American's taste -- BAD. So much water, didn't see any pickle, is it anything but watered down mayo? They ought to offer good tartar sauce at least as an option for cost for those of us who like it.

Tartar sauce? Sorry but I prefer salt and malt vinigar on my F&C's! :licklips:

But everyone to their own taste!

Yes, I like salt, vinegar, AND tartar sauce. Yes, to each his own taste. We have had this discussion before, with Brits asserting they don't really care about tartar sauce. I wouldn't know that for sure, but Americans love it. However, perhaps having crappy or no t-sauce makes a place more authentic. If so, that's a case when I would be wishing for less authentic. Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I like salt, vinegar, AND tartar sauce. Yes, to each his own taste. We have had this discussion before, with Brits asserting they don't really care about tartar sauce. I wouldn't know that for sure, but Americans love it. However, perhaps having crappy or no t-sauce makes a place more authentic. If so, that's a case when I would be wishing for less authentic.

I'm British and like Tartar Sauce with fish. I recommend you do as I do: Carry your own tiny plastic sachets of Colman's Tartar Sauce in your pockets.

The Tartar Sauce on offer in Pattaya restaurants and diners is usually very disappointing and often contaminated by unhygienic diners.

Yes, I like salt, vinegar, AND tartar sauce. Yes, to each his own taste. We have had this discussion before, with Brits asserting they don't really care about tartar sauce. I wouldn't know that for sure, but Americans love it. However, perhaps having crappy or no t-sauce makes a place more authentic. If so, that's a case when I would be wishing for less authentic.

Jing

Didn't we have this "Discussion" some time ago and decided you were "posh" lol :jap:

Went to The Village Chippy for my first F & C meal! Very good. For 120 baht, a large fish fillet came to the roadside table lightly battered- crispy outside, soft inside & really hot. It was accompanied by a good size portion of chips which also were crispy outside, soft inside & really hot. I'm from New England, so I found their tartar sauce a bit too runny, but tasty nonetheless. Even though I was unable to finish my order (if my TGF ever wants to try F & C, we could both definitely share one of these 120 baht dinners), I think next time I'll try their mushy peas (also for the first time) and probably order some curry sauce, too. The Village Chippy... very good!

I love it there too - highly recomended.

I love it there too - highly recomended.

Today, I made use of the delivery service, very professional packed, even with fork, knife, pepper, salt, sauses and very delicious indeed.

Arrived in 12 minutes time... very recommendable!!!

Edited by HarrydePotter

I always liked the Swan chip shop in Southport UK Good portions,nice steak and kidney pudding.

Thats funny Jori. That Card holder needs to be sent off,,, eees obviously had eeees sense of humour removed....

No Way !!

It is just that I am 216 miles from Southport when I am in the UK and a dam_n sight further when I am Thailand :)

Crazy Daves

Fish & chips at Crazy Daves is hit and miss, more often a miss depending on what time of day you go. The fish are those frozen triangles from a supermarket and depending on your luck the chips are usually O.K. At least you can drown the lot in Sarsons vinegar and make chip butties.

• Like 1