Flyovers Vs. Roundabouts

flyingfox

There's a flyover on Sukhumvit and a flyover on 3rd road to Bali Hai Pier.

There are both exquisite and expensive.

Are we truly in need of flyovers at huge cost or would a few roundabouts solve the traffic problems?

First we need to teach Thai motorists and the police how they work but I use the Naklua roundabout every day. It's a hair raising experience merging in but I feel if there were a flyover, people would only speed up.

What do you think?

post-105547-016908300 1284108407_thumb.j

Unfortunately, the Thais do not understand roundabouts.

This is not a criticism of them, they are not generally familiar with roundabouts and nobody has taught them - rather like their driving.

The Spanish were the same. They suddenly sprung up a few years ago on the N322 road along the Costas. You could see the fear and confusion on the faces of the Spaniards which resulted in delays and the occasional accident. They are OK now.

The same is true in Norfolk in the UK. A new roundabout (with traffic lights) was installed just outside the centre of Norwich. It caused pandemonium in the City and the lights were switched off after 2 hours.

Everything starts with education and it would require the government to run 'what to do at a roundabout' information adverts.

While they are at it they could also run 'how to turn right correctly' and 'the dangers of riding your motor cy against the flow of traffic, at night, without lights'

• Like 1

While they are at it they could also run 'how to turn right correctly' and 'the dangers of riding your motor cy against the flow of traffic, at night, without lights'

Even with lights on they are difficult to spot if they have a bag in the basket obstructing the light.

The Thai soaps could do a lot of this education if only someone could get the producers to include such scenes.

• Like 1

Both are alright, if the drivers know how to use them. Unfortunately, most drivers here cannot even do the most basic maneuvers, so cant expect them to figure out how to use a turn signal or use something as complicated as a roundabout. Also, the flyovers are often designed so you must make a U-turn at the end, into oncoming traffic, if you want to get where you are going. The biggest problem is the different speeds at which the traffic is moving, from 0, to 150, and on the same lane. Vendors stopping, with half their cart in the road. Of course if half the population doesnt have a drivers license, they have no clue as what to do in traffic. So in answer to your question, it doesnt really matter, flyover or roundabout, it will be designed wrong and used wrong = lots of accidents.

• Like 1

Of course if half the population doesnt have a drivers license, they have no clue as what to do in traffic. So in answer to your question, it doesnt really matter, flyover or roundabout, it will be designed wrong and used wrong = lots of accidents.

This almost infers that the other half DO know what they are doing.

I would suggest that the percentage is lower.

What a brilliant idea from BWPattaya. Role models are taken from these appalling shows - instead of attempted rapes and shootings, start to show correct manoeuvres at roundabouts and junctions.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with the current road infrastructure around Pattaya, the issue is with driver education......... if they would just stay in there lanes and go with the flow there would be minimal congestion, instead a 2 lane wide road becomes 4 which in turn creates massive bottle necks...........I fookin love my commute to Laem Chabang every day with the road works.................NOT.

I think it would be an interesting experiment to change one of the major junctions in town from traffic lights to a roundabout. While the first couple of weeks would be a nightmare I believe that at a junction such as Pattaya Tai/Third Road it would ultimately improve traffic flow immensely. The argument that Thai's don't understand how to use them is fine as far as it goes, but if they are never given the chance to learn they never will. The Dolphin roundabout is not a proper example as 2 of the exits are one way which interferes with the natural working of a roundabout which relies on traffic flow from each direction. I find the junctions at the new railway crossings which are covered by flashing traffic lights work very well, except in extremely busy times, with traffic in both directions slowing and giving way to allow others to cross without undue problems. The initial lunatic tendency to run the junctions at 100kph appears to have subsided (2am drunks excluded) and the much maligned Thais appear to have learned how to cope with this so why not roundabouts?

the much maligned Thais appear to have learned how to cope with this so why not roundabouts?

Please don't get me wrong, the Thais are perfectly capable of learning (and particularly 'parroting' what others do).

My concern is that they usually find the 'easiest way' to do something - often the laziest, as evidenced by the risks and delays caused by their current right turn actions.

Somebody has to tell them that traffic from the right has priority. That way, such traffic will no longer greng jai the traffic joining the roundabout ahead and the traffic head will understand who has priority.

Understanding is the key.

I think more roundabouts would be a good thing. They may have their drawbacks but they would be a big improvement on the present free for all barge-your-way-through system at most junctions. Traffic lights are hazardous here because the red light seems to be a signal for the next three or four cars to accelerate and run the light.

Excellent suggestion earlier about using the TV soaps to teach good driving habits. Certainly worth a try.

Roundabouts are really very simple. In countries where you drive on the LH side of the road the main thing that you need to know is that you give way to traffic approaching from the right. This, of course, is the root reason why roundabouts will not work in Thailand. When did you ever see a Thai driver give way to anyone! It's all about loss of face - must be number one ... must be number one ...

DM

• Like 2

Roundabouts are really very simple. In countries where you drive on the LH side of the road the main thing that you need to know is that you give way to traffic approaching from the right. This, of course, is the root reason why roundabouts will not work in Thailand. When did you ever see a Thai driver give way to anyone! It's all about loss of face - must be number one ... must be number one ...

DM

I disagree doctor, you are describing Farang driving style (mine included - "He who hesitates is lost" and "Who dares wins")

I see more cases of Thais dallying over a decision to go or not go. I also admit that most of my evidence is from outside Pattaya - where a more 'international style' may be adopted.

DM

I disagree doctor, you are describing Farang driving style (mine included - "He who hesitates is lost" and "Who dares wins")

I see more cases of Thais dallying over a decision to go or not go. I also admit that most of my evidence is from outside Pattaya - where a more 'international style' may be adopted.

Well, I may be conditioned by having spent most of my life in rural UK where the driving style was very polite. I don't know if I would describe Thai driving as 'international', maybe Italian or Spanish but the style in Pattaya is something else. Absolute mayhem most of the time - no quarter given or expected. You do see some hesitation at uncontrolled junctions - many of these on our new Sukhumvit Relief Road - but you also get may drivers who just go barreling through with no consideration whatsoever.

DM

DM

i have been in lao

perfect driving same farang

if lao can thai must can do

but teaching all the thai big ploblem

DM

i have been in lao

perfect driving same farang

if lao can thai must can to

but teaching all the thai big ploblem

DM

Doctormann is right on. Not sure if it is loss of face or just being dam_n aggressive. But here in Pattaya, anything goes. Drive on the shoulder, drive on the sidewalk, cut in front when there is NO room, pass on the left, pass on the right, triple lane turns at lights, run red lights, etc. Craziness for sure. No quarter given...especially by those dam_n vans! Or hi-so cars. Or scooters. Or....

I guess when there is no enforcement of the law...and no penalty...they figure, "why not?"

DM

Doctormann is right on. Not sure if it is loss of face or just being dam_n aggressive. But here in Pattaya, anything goes. Drive on the shoulder, drive on the sidewalk, cut in front when there is NO room, pass on the left, pass on the right, triple lane turns at lights, run red lights, etc. Craziness for sure. No quarter given...especially by those dam_n vans! Or hi-so cars. Or scooters. Or....

I guess when there is no enforcement of the law...and no penalty...they figure, "why not?"

No enforcement and no penalty when everyone does it that way means usually no one knows the difference.

Udon Thani has 4 roundabouts all of them have 2 way traffic, and they work well except during rush hour as no Thai will give the right of way so they have to station police at the roundabouts to control traffic.