Can The Original Owner Re-Make The Book?

ClareQuilty

My ex-girlfriend's mother has an old bike she kept around the house for the maid to drive, could easily be 10-15 years old. I 'bought' it for 3,000 baht a few months ago - just took it away and started driving it. She said she had no ownership book as she'd lost it, but that because she had bought it new here, and thus her name was 'in the computer' as it were, as the bikes owner, she'd been told she could go get another book made for a few hundred baht, anyway under a thousand. The deal we had made was I would pay 3,000 for the bike, take it and use it, and at some later date, unspecified, I could pay another 3,000 if and when she could get the ownership book. I'm considering pursuing it, but I have no idea if it will work. I'm tempted to leave things as is, but I like the bike and one hears warnings about driving without the various papers. Anyone ever heard of what if anything an original owner can do if they lose their ownership book?

"Anyone ever heard of what if anything an original owner can do if they lose their ownership book?"

Report the loss to the police, take a copy of the report to the DLT (some do not need the report) with the bike and get a new book. Simple

If she has not paid the tax, then she will need to either pay the outstanding tax (maximum 3 years) or re-register the bike (over 3 years).

You cannot pay tax without the book, so you will not be liable for arrears on bike tax as it is not yours - just liable to have it confiscated, be fined, etc, etc.