New Housing Estates

petercallen

The new housing estates here even though privately developed remind me of cheap housing built by the Australian Government 50 years ago.

All the houses are identical, does anyone know of an estate where the housing is of mixed designs,

and the roads are owned by the residents not the developer.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the "rule" here in Chiang Mai. A developer will come up with 1 style for single story house, and maybe two styles for 2 story houses, and that's all you'll find in that particular development. And in some, all the houses are exactly the same. Where I live, ALL the single story houses are nearly identical in design, while there is some variation in the 2 story houses, but not much. I've visited roughly 10 other developments in this area and find the same to be true with all of them. The one "advantage" to where I live is that the developers don't mind if you want to make changes to your house, and pretty much let you do whatever you want, from adding rooms to changing the color of paint from the original.

Housing estate where I live you can build a house of your own design

I've found that in 2 places, but in the others you take what they have.

You just have to keep looking till you find something that fits your needs.

Or you can buy mine, fully furnished, with over 1mil baht in "upgrades" for 5.5mil.

:jap:

Housing estate where I live you can build a house of your own design

I've found that in 2 places, but in the others you take what they have.

You just have to keep looking till you find something that fits your needs.

Or you can buy mine, fully furnished, with over 1mil baht in "upgrades" for 5.5mil.

:jap:

Thanks for the offer but i am talking about Phuket not Chang Mai

The low-cost ones, say under 3 mn baht, certainly do look like slums of the future. Where I live around Loch Palms Golf there are several very attractive developments for build-your-own houses. House construction costs are low here but land is expensive.

The low-cost ones, say under 3 mn baht, certainly do look like slums of the future. Where I live around Loch Palms Golf there are several very attractive developments for build-your-own houses. House construction costs are low here but land is expensive.

You are not kidding land is expensive here., very overpriced actually

We visited Ko Samui recently and met a couple who live at Hua Hin which has all the facility's that Phuket has

A rai of land there 10 minutes drive from the city varies in price from 900000 baht to 1200000 baht for a block with views

Unfortunately, that seems to be the "rule" here in Chiang Mai. A developer will come up with 1 style for single story house, and maybe two styles for 2 story houses, and that's all you'll find in that particular development. And in some, all the houses are exactly the same.

Go have a look on Baan Wang Tan.. All different.. Some huge plots (even >3 rai sizes) and some amazing homes.

Very taken by that development myself.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the "rule" here in Chiang Mai. A developer will come up with 1 style for single story house, and maybe two styles for 2 story houses, and that's all you'll find in that particular development. And in some, all the houses are exactly the same.

Go have a look on Baan Wang Tan.. All different.. Some huge plots (even >3 rai sizes) and some amazing homes.

Here we go again, I want to buy or build a house in a area where the houses vary in design.

I require enough land for a garden, vegie plot and maybe a pool, i do not want enough land to graze buffalo on.

I am not interested in building or buying a home to amaze anybody, just something we are happy with and good neighbors

Fair enough, I started the topic, The majority of people know i live in Phuket and am inquiring about Phuket.

If i was enquiring about Chang Mai i would put it in the Chang Mai forum.

Anyway you have got another post for the day, With the amount of posts you do on different forums/Web sites it must be hard to find time to sleep without worrying about working

Land & House Park in Chalong has at least 2 villages for those who want to build their own design. The disadvantage of these villages is that some land plots are left vacant for decade, making good "homes" for dogs and burmese. and construction work for the same decade or longer

There are 2 legal ways to do a Moo Baan,

1 Divide land and apply for buildingpermit on all plots, usually 1-5 house designs. Low costs compared to sqm and quality

2. Divide land, build infrastructure and each landplot (owner) make architecht plans and apply buildingpermit. Higher costs, at least 30%. One offs are more expensive to build, cause foreman/workers can not copy an existing building, they have to read the architecht plans

Making a Moo Baan with more than 8 plots/houses, the road and park automaticly belongs to the owners, even if land title is in developers name. Any owner can have their rights registered in roads/park land title, and some banks require so to grant homeloans. Most dont bother.

Edited by katabeachbum

You are not kidding land is expensive here., very overpriced actually

We visited Ko Samui recently and met a couple who live at Hua Hin which has all the facility's that Phuket has

A rai of land there 10 minutes drive from the city varies in price from 900000 baht to 1200000 baht for a block with views

You get what you pay for and at that price in Hua Hin will be inland about 20-30kms with no immediate facilities.....if you want near the center its 12-20mil a rai and beachfront is 60mil a rai.......and its selling at that price!!!

You get what you pay for and at that price in Hua Hin will be inland about 20-30kms with no immediate facilities.....if you want near the center its 12-20mil a rai and beachfront is 60mil a rai.......and its selling at that price!!!

I only know what i was told by a Swiss gentleman who spends a lot of time in Hua Hin and is building a house there

His estimated cost was 4.5 to 5.5 million for a nice 3/4 bedroom house with swimming pool with mountain/hill views

including the cost of the land

He told me 10 minutes drive from Hua Hin and he already has friends where is is talking about who have built for that price.

He invited us up to have a look but we do not want to live there, we prefer Phuket, He is not involved in real estate sales in

Thailand, we became friends in the short time we new each other, so why would i not believe him.

Unfortunately I lost the piece of paper with his contact details, i would not mind driving up to take a look.

I only know what i was told by a Swiss gentleman who spends a lot of time in Hua Hin and is building a house there

His estimated cost was 4.5 to 5.5 million for a nice 3/4 bedroom house with swimming pool with mountain/hill views

including the cost of the land

He told me 10 minutes drive from Hua Hin and he already has friends where is is talking about who have built for that price.

He invited us up to have a look but we do not want to live there, we prefer Phuket, He is not involved in real estate sales in

Thailand, we became friends in the short time we new each other, so why would i not believe him.

Unfortunately I lost the piece of paper with his contact details, i would not mind driving up to take a look.

I have homes in Hua Hin and Phuket

10-15 minutes drive from HH town, its easy to find one rai at 1,5 million baht, in a Moo Baan or not. Its countryside, buffaloes and stuff.

Within 300 meters from beach and 2 km from town center, selling price is 100.000 baht Talangwah (I payed that 3 years ago), which is 40 million baht/rai. Beachfront is hard to find for less than 100 mill baht/rai if close to or in town

House prices slightly lower than Phuket, but basicly you get what you pay for

agree on the 4-6 million baht house price if countryside

Edited by katabeachbum

I have homes in Hua Hin and Phuket

10-15 minutes drive from HH town, its easy to find one rai at 1,5 million baht, in a Moo Baan or not. Its countryside, buffaloes and stuff.

Within 300 meters from beach and 2 km from town center, selling price is 100.000 baht Talangwah (I payed that 3 years ago), which is 40 million baht/rai. Beachfront is hard to find for less than 100 mill baht/rai if close to or in town

House prices slightly lower than Phuket, but basicly you get what you pay for

agree on the 4-6 million baht house price if countryside

Can someone please enlighten me as to why a seaview is so desirable and people are willing to pay an extortionate premium to have one? I have lived in Phuket almost 5 years and don't visit the beach very often, that's for tourists. It is just a garbage strewn stretch of sand that you can only see it 50% of the time anyways.

Something to do with the first 3 rules of real estate/property sales...........Location, location, location. We happen to get lucky enough and buy land years ago when it wasn't so expensive and I enjoy every day seeing dive boats, sail boats, kite surfers etc. go by. To each their own.

>>does anyone know of an estate where the housing is of mixed designs,

Any particular reason why you want to be in a housing estate? Supposed extra security? Ability to hear noise from your close neighbor? The nice smell from many people living and cooking in proximity? The random neighbor coming or going at 5 am? Car pooling? Local billiard and bingo competitions? Finding a builder that has experience so if they do something wrong in all the houses, it'll be the same at your house?

I must admit I just don't understand wanting to be so close to everyone else when you have a choice not to. Land is not necessarily cheaper and quite often more expensive.

I'm sure there are plenty of benefits from living in an estate ( I would think land and house would qualify for this, but even so there's plenty of crime there from the reports we read about), I just can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure the OP has plenty of them. "Nicer roads", "security guards" could be two of the perceived benefits, but from being here for a number of years, perceived and realized benefits are not the same.

Any particular reason why you want to be in a housing estate? Supposed extra security? Ability to hear noise from your close neighbor? The nice smell from many people living and cooking in proximity? The random neighbor coming or going at 5 am? Car pooling? Local billiard and bingo competitions? Finding a builder that has experience so if they do something wrong in all the houses, it'll be the same at your house?

I must admit I just don't understand wanting to be so close to everyone else when you have a choice not to. Land is not necessarily cheaper and quite often more expensive.

I'm sure there are plenty of benefits from living in an estate ( I would think land and house would qualify for this, but even so there's plenty of crime there from the reports we read about), I just can't think of any off hand, but I'm sure the OP has plenty of them. "Nicer roads", "security guards" could be two of the perceived benefits, but from being here for a number of years, perceived and realized benefits are not the same.

I dislike cookie cutter homes and REALLY dislike the stepford wives suburbia that most / many housing estates are.. But I can also see a few upsides to a well managed street / estate / development.

1) security.. Sure your not going to find much on a moobaan with 2 mil baht homes and a half asleep guy being paid 5k a month at the gate, but there are well run places which do improve on your security chances. Having had a break in, having seen so many happen to my mates (the poor BM who posted being burgled 5 times in 7 years), I know I think about security far differently than I did 5 or 10 years ago. Would you feel better taking a month away if your home was on Soi Naya or Anuphas Golf estate ??

2) quality of services.. I need rock solid internet, in the past we had water delivery issues, phone line availability problems.. I would expect these things to be a little bit better in a good development and the development should run be able to solve problems that alone you might not. A premium development I really do like has just had all new digital exchanges fitted and I am told the internet there is super solid.

3) environment maintenance.. Sort of relates to the above but if you dont have daily garbage collection, if your neighbors dont secure their bins, dogs can end up spreading garbage and Thais (in my neighborhood) never seem to clean it back up. I would hope a good development is less likely to turn into a garbage strewn baan with a roving wolf pack. Of course no guarantee but it depends on the standard of homes and wealth of neighbors. Well run places have nice tree lined streets and often a good club house, sports facilities and a pool.. Children more likely to be able to safely ride a bike around the area without through traffic speeding SUV's.

4) insulation from non residential.. Tin shack karaoke opening next door ?? Or some other ugly bike repair shop etc.

Lots of reasons why a well run development could be well worth its premium cost, tho I readily admit that many moobaans dont live up to what they could or should be and then you have the downsides of smaller plots, lack of privacy and 'suburbia' which are the less desirable aspects of communal living.

Your question has been already answered, we do not like land and houses and are looking at small well managed estates where you can purchase the land you require.

As i have found out these estates do exist and you can build a house of your own choice or purchase one already built..

We are also looking at established homes in other areas if they meet our requirements.

Well, after that brief interlude for entertainment, back to the OP.

There are advantages and disadvantages living on an estate.

The quality of the estates range from excellent (Anuphas Golfville) to the not so good (Phuket Villa).

Both are large estates with a different target customer.

I think the best developments are the ones where there are less than twenty houses. There are a couple in Rawai (though don't know the name of them) and several in the Kathu valley.

I personally live in a middle-class Thai-Chinese neighbourhood in a custom built house.

Great neighbours whos families have been here for generations. Suits me, but, I can understand the appeal of estates.

I appreciate all the information given about housing estates.

I am also interested in smaller developments with better quality housing in Phuket where the owners can afford to maintain them and the area is kept neat and clean.

I have no set budget but am currently thinking in the 5 to 10m range

I would like information from ordinary people not estate agents