Any Experience With Bluecross Blueshield Providers

Siki

For a number of years I have been paying as I go and making a few claims back in Hawaii for medical services rendered in Thailand. I have just discovered that most hospitals in Bangkok along with a very large number of doctors are BlueCross BlueSheild providers. There are many details on the BlueCross web site and I will be calling them next week to find out more.

However, I would like to ask if anyone could share their experiences with the BlueCross BlueSheld providers in Thailand. Are there any does and don’ts? What things do you have to watch out for? How is the service?

In Hawaii I had a nagging problem with doctors and institutions suggesting, prescribing, or ordering up unnecessary procedures. They did this because they could see that I have a very high level of coverage and basically pay nothing for most services. Is it right to assume that the same game is played in Thailand?

Thanks in advance

Aloha

Siki

Am not sure Blue Shield as from US is the same as the BUPA Blue Shield that almost all providers here seem to honor. The US version seems to have about a dozen top hospitals in Bangkok listed but not near as many as you find on the BUPA list.

As for the over prescribing it is very common in Thailand even without insurance so I suspect if they know they can get more of your money many hospitals would not be opposed to suggesting a few extra tests just to "make sure".