Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when i went to the Moto-expo with high hopes that APe Honda had finally got their act together.... Alas no..

3 sales staff who gave 3 different prices for the abs version.... 117,000. 110,000, then finally 115,000b

nothing in writing with the claim that they do not sell to the public!!!!!

When pushed he told me the price BUT stated it was up to the dealer what they sold it at rolleyes.gif

I would expect to start seeing them in the dealers from the 7th.....................

There was a LOT of interest from Thai's when i was there so it should be a good seller for Honda.. it will be interesting to know how much for 1st class insurance etc.. APe had NO details of that at the show blink.gif

.... hopefully a test ride tomorrow! Although the coupon says tast ride so maybe it is a taste ride or a fast ride!

Hopefully not 'last ride'.

:lol:

If it is last ride i hope it is due to not liking it and therefore not wanting to ride it again, rather than being run off the road by a baht bus and exploding in a ball of flame!

Not that i expect to get much of a feel for the bike running around the Big C car park through some witches hats (traffic cones). i'm more interested in the vibrations at the top end and how the suspension feels. I suppose all i can do is redline it in first and hit the C-ABS brakes hard! :D

Taichi.... i wouldn't hit the brakes to hard on the test ride bike !!!! the Abs is not available until January whistling.gifbiggrin.gif

Yeah, and if it is the ABS version i might blow up the mobile phone network! :lol:

So what was your impressions of the 250? Quality/finish good? Did you get to sit on it?

I was at BigC Pattaya Tai this morning and the Honda booth was being build, only CBR150's to be seen. So I ask "No 250's".... Not yet but afternoon they will arrive. "Can make a test drive?" ..... Yes. And he did give me a coupon for a test-drive this afternoon.

So will be there this afternoon to have a test-drive (and escape to Sukhumvit road hahaha)

Chang Noi

I was at BigC Pattaya Tai this morning and the Honda booth was being build, only CBR150's to be seen. So I ask "No 250's".... Not yet but afternoon they will arrive. "Can make a test drive?" ..... Yes. And he did give me a coupon for a test-drive this afternoon.

So will be there this afternoon to have a test-drive (and escape to Sukhumvit road hahaha)

Chang Noi

Chang Noi..... update did you test the CBR250. also do they have the ABS version in stock????

How did you like your test drive this afternoon, taichiplanet?

I liked both bikes and saw advantages to both. Can't tell a lot from a short drive in the parking lot. Totally disagree with the Ninja 250 R's owner who claimed the CBR 250 vibrated a lot less than his Ninja due to its being a single cylinder bike. Perhaps it does, but i sure couldn't notice any vibration from that short parking lot low speed run. Both bikes seem very solid and no doubt handle quite well at speed due to their relatively large tires and basic design. I thought before the test drive that a displacement of 150 vs 250 c'cs and horsepower 18 to 19 versus 26 were mere numbers with a substantial edge going to the larger bike. But I felt as if the CBR 250 was like a slingshot compared to the CBR 150. The acceleration came on immediately at low revs. 26 horsepower or whatever, I'm betting this will turn out to be one helluva engine. As far as any seat of the pants feeling as to size differences I felt they were about equally easy to drive, and equally agile. But after the test drive I once more sat on both machines one after the other. I believe the CBR 150 has the superior seating position. The seat is closer to the handlebars and that would seem to reinforce a slightly more erect driving position. The bike also feels more intimately connected to the driver due to this slightly closer position of the driver to the front of the bike.

Edited by jackcorbett

I went to the Big C South this afternoon about 4:30. They had several booths set up showing most Honda models. There were many CBR150's in all the available colors.

There were also 2 CBR250's, both with the ABS option. :)

They had 3 150's and 1 of the 250's available for test rides. The demo track, as expected, was just a short circle in the parking lot.

There was no waiting for either model. So I tried the 150 first, as I have owned the previous model since 2003. That was the first year of the old series. I liked it.

Then I rode the 250. I liked it. A lot.

There was no problem going for a second or third circuit. I repeated both models.

This is a bit of a teaser post, but I'm getting hungry. Next post will go into more detail.

Went for a run on the CBR250, could have also gone on the CBR150 but decided not too as hard to get the feel of a bike on such a short run. The 'circuit was through the car park with about 100 meter legs (really only 3 legs as the last one was parking the bike), dodging pedestrians and cars parking; so in some ways a good test for Thai driving conditions! The seat feels very comfortable and the bike felt nicely balanced, i did even notice it was 165 kgs. As i rounded the first 'corner' i gave it a bit of throttle and the power felt nice, the front was lifting on the suspension and it wouldn't be hard to pop the front wheel up. Had to slow down as it was the exit for the underground car park, dropped it into second and turned right again, gave a bit of throttle and then hit the foot brake hard. This is the combi-ABS and it felt a bit soft as if it wasn't trying hard enough, but i didn't use the front hand brake. Right again, accelerated and used the front brake only and it pulled up nicely though with the usual heavy nose dip, Then a car reversed out in front of me and it was a short run to the start.

Overall a great bike, especially for the price, but hard to know anything on such a short run. I didn't notice any vibrations but i was concentrating on other things, and couldn't get the revs up much anyway. Quality of finish was good, and the bike looks okay. The exhaust sound is neutral, you don't even notice it, and there didn't seem much difference between the exhaust note of the 150 and 250. There was only the red/silver 250 bikes on display, would have been nice to see the black/silver and gray/silver ones. Talked to a few farangs that rode it and they all liked it, even over the 150. I measured the handle bars and the width is as stated in the specs; 150 is 695mm and 250 is 720 mm, but would have to adjust the mirrors in a little. My Wave is 712 mm so not much difference there. As JackCorbitt wrote (good to catch up with you Jack), one guy has a Ninja 250 and he said the CBR250 had more vibration than the Ninja 250, he was specifically looking for this so not sure if he is being over critical. Power wise he felt the 2 were about the same. I spoke to another guy who had a Ninja 250 but didn't like it as it had no power low down. He seemed to like the CBR250.

Still it was great that Mityon had both the CBR150 and CBR250 there to ride. I would think that the CBR150 is enough bike for around town and short runs, but i think i would still lean towards the 250 due to the extra power, ABS and the more advanced counter balancing in the engine.

post-70604-0-37910500-1291725233_thumb.j

150 and 250 behind

post-70604-0-44070500-1291725270_thumb.j

post-70604-0-16440100-1291725333_thumb.j

This is not going to be a comprehensive review given the short track, but here are some thoughts.

The additional torque in the 250 is noticeable and welcomed. The bikes are nearly identical in size from the front and side. From behind, the larger tire on the 250 gives it a solid look, but the 150 doesn't seem smaller aside from this.

Anecdote. One of the Thai guys testing (not staff) did a "stoppie" on a 150, right near the booth. Got it nearly vertical! All the staff thought this was great. Laughs all-round. Then he tried it on the 250 and couldn't do it. The C/ABS would not allow. :D

Unlike jackcorbett, I preferred the riding position on the 250. Much less pressure on the wrists. This is important to my comfort and one of the things I had to get used to but never liked on the old model. The kick-stand is shorter on the 250 and in an awkward spot, very near the peg. Everyone I watched get off the bike had a problem with it. It's not where you expect it to be.

There was a marked difference in the braking between the bikes. The 150 was good. The 250 was great. Obviously, the non-ABS 250 will brake like the 150.

Aside from the full-fairing giving a racing look, the color schemes are more suited to the "luxury" angle they headline in the brochure. They have gone the safe route here.

Poor Kawasaki Ninja 250 owners. Their bikes are unsellable for a fair price, given what they paid. Kawasaki will have to lower their price by 30% or end up with a warehouse of unsold bikes. But I said from the day they launched the Ninja 250 that it was seriously over-priced. At least in my opinion...but looks like Honda agree with me. :D

Taichaiplanet..Thanks for the great picture of me driving the 250. My gf still says, "We don't need another motorbike," then she said, on the Nouvo Elegance you look like lady boy driving it. On 250 you look like real man."

Edited by jackcorbett

Would an old guy like me ( 57 y ) look silly on the Honda 250 ? :whistling: .I have ridden touring style bikes all my life but am thinking of giving the Honda 250 a go .Would it be possible to put saddle bags or a back box on it ?

Yeah, saddle bags and a top box would look real good on it :lol: .

One if the fastest, smoothest riders I know is now in his 60ies, he can mix it with the best and wouldnt look out of place on any boy racer, but of course not all people of the same age can be dropped into the same class.

Rather than worrying about what you look like, try the riding position on it and see how ur old bones feel, thats much more important.

Taichaiplanet..Thanks for the great picture of me driving the 250. My gf still says, "We don't need another motorbike," then she said, on the Nouvo Elegance you look like lady boy driving it. On 250 you look like real man."

:cheesy:

Here's another of 'the real man'.

post-70604-0-51069400-1291729212_thumb.j

Nah, you still look like you're on the Nouvo ;)

Does anyone know when the CBR 250r will be coming to Chiang Mai? And can we test drive them? If so do I need to go get a ticket like these guys in Pattaya?

Cheers!

hi

several dealers claim that the CBR 250 ....'come 27th Dec ' but diffucult to find out price for sure and if standard or abs version?

Anyone In CM know anymore ?

Would an old guy like me ( 57 y ) look silly on the Honda 250 ? :whistling: .I have ridden touring style bikes all my life but am thinking of giving the Honda 250 a go .Would it be possible to put saddle bags or a back box on it ?

Nah. I wouldn't worry about it. I thought the same thing when I rented a bright blue CBR 150 in Krabi, and pictures of me on it later showed I looked a little large on the small bike. But I had so much fun driving it, I could have cared less. I think a more legitimate question is this----Which color is going to attract fewer police officers? It seems when one drives Honda Waves, Yamaha Nouvos and the like that one just blends in with everyone else. I'd think the bright red color of the new CBR 150 would be the biggest traffic ticket gatherer (but it's a stunning looking bike in this color) and that the all grey new 250 CBR or the black and silver one might attract the least attention from Thai police intent on increasing their pocket money.

Im older than you by a very considerable number of years....(but I dont often admit to that) and been riding the CBR 150 for 4 years and over 100,000km now. I intend buying a 250 and I know will enjoy even more than the 150. I used cruiser style (Phantom and Boss) for 2 years prior to the CBR 150 and much prefer the riding position of the CBR over cruiser style. Much better control and comfort..

Poor Kawasaki Ninja 250 owners. Their bikes are unsellable for a fair price, given what they paid. Kawasaki will have to lower their price by 30% or end up with a warehouse of unsold bikes. But I said from the day they launched the Ninja 250 that it was seriously over-priced. At least in my opinion...but looks like Honda agree with me. :D

My dear Bobbin,

Until the 250cc Honda thumper wearing a CBR sticker goes head to head with the Kawasaki Ninja 250R I think it's a bit premature to pity the Ninjette owners.

Other than the ABS option (which is a big coup for Honda!) the CBR 250 is a lesser bike in every way.

But if the Ninjette is too expensive for you then I guess the Honda might be a good compromise. :whistling:

Yikes! I'm starting to sound like that troll Thundermouth! :lol:

Let the Good Times ROLL!

012.jpg

This enthusiasm for going "head to head" - the Ninjette and CBR250 - is fun to join, and the results will be a pleasure to dispute when the time comes, no doubt. But it is bound to happen that this is better at this and that is better at that. They will be close enough in performance with soft spots and no clear winner that partisans will carry on until the next best thing comes along (the Yamaha Hayabitty perhaps).

There is unlikely to be a winner across the board (though sides will form to argue a clear victory). Sound and fury, signifying nothing (much). Easy to forget that these are beginners' training bikes throughout the western world, in spite of their merits. ABS certainly does stand out brilliantly, and it will be astonishing if pricing in the long run does not determine the issue regarding sales.

In fact, even if it is(slightly to somewhat) weaker in every aspect of performance, Honda will win the field in sales, dominate, and not just in Thailand. Betcha we all know it too. Buy the (cheaper) bike and assert its superior aspects - works every time. And if you are left with a Honda in this country, you cannot lose. :rolleyes:

Edited by CMX

Sight unseen, I will get mine next Thursday (only red available so far).

Hi are u in Chaing Mai?

will u get the 150 or 250 CBR next thurs ?

Is the 250 avalaible in CM yet and where from ..thanks

Yes - Chiangmai. And yes, I am waiting for the 250 (it is a 250 thread, na?). Trading in my 150...

And different dealers give different answers. One promised me one this week (so I pulled out my credit card), but the next day he changed the date to 27th. But he did me a favour, and got in touch with another dealer who promised me one on the 16th.

Sorry - I am not trying to be coy, but I don't want to say which dealer - they seem to be 'doing me a solid' and I don't want to <deleted> it up...

I wanted black, and everybody said January, maybe February. ABS (which I didn't really care about) is also sometime next year.

So I am getting RED - I'm gonna paint it black (you devils!).

102,900bt with full-face helmet (DOT!), and the Platinum Package (roadside assistance and scheduled maintenance).

ps - I sat on a Ninja a few years ago, and it felt crappy (didn't ride it, so I don't really have a clue!). I did ride a Ninja 500 a few years ago, and it felt choppy and a little boring.

So I am looking forward to a bigger better version of my old 150. Same same but different duh.