Honda Cbr 250R 2011

LOSHonda

Appropriate,

I was reading a copy of the Motorcyclenews paper today and in an article entitiled how to improve performance ... in 12 steps; step number one was about oiling the chain. To quote, " lubricating the bike's drive chain can flow another 2hp to the rear tire - proven on bikes tested on a rolling road dyno. "

You mentioned that you felt a greater difference after doing this on your CBR as against other bikes you had owned. Were the other bikes singles because I have heard that they are a bit heavier on chains and are notorious for flinging off the chain lube. So, checking and oiling the chain as often as possible can't be a bad idea. Anyway, enjoy the bike.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... I got so lost riding my bike from my hotel close to impact... Going to siam paragon... I had to use my gps and it showed 26km off the target :-)

the whole no bike on the toll way sucks! But alas... I got back to my hotel... Only 12 hours before my next 900km run back home... Not riding any distance on wednesday... Or tomorrow evening...

I only got to see my friend for 20 min, did not get my motorcycle sport and leisure mag... Only good thing must have been burger king, and that says alot! Not a very productive trip... ...

Just back from two days of highway racing along the 305 and 33, with a nice detour through Khao Yai on the way back, and nothing could catch the CBR, absolutely nothing. And it wasn't for lack of triers either. Many attempted, all failed.

Conditions were great so it was throttle wide open and goodbye to all Hilux', Fortuners and minivans at 150kph cruising speed. I'm not a speedfreak and don't go for gung-ho racing and lying on the tank. And that's only stock form. It will end up with whole new exhaust system and airfilter, with the programmable FI set to keep the stock combustion ratio, what a little animal it will be then. Ninja money then spent on top class suspension, and it will be perfect.

OK, I decided to stay out of this thread since you guys seem pretty happy with the bike and that's fine. I'm glad you had a good ride, but seriously?

Nothing could catch the CBR, absolutely nothing And it wasn't for lack of triers either. Many attempted, all failed I have to assume you are racing Fino's again since any sportsbike would leave you floundering at the 150 kph mark (easily achieved in second gear on many bikes). Any car around the Civic level would cruise past you while the driver was adjusting the aircon.

goodbye to all Hilux', Fortuners and minivans at 150kph I've been tailgated up to 190kph on the GSXr by Fortuners, even by the odd 3.0 Hilux. Once again you're in Dreamland.

And then we have the all too predictable Ninja price reference. Seriously, I think the CBR250 is OK, it's not a bad bike for the money (assuming you don't pay more than 10k over rrp) . I actually like the tri-color 150 with the wider frame. But if you're looking for a reason that people come on this thread to call out the BS, look no further than the comments above. I don't think people are knocking the bike, it's OK. But this delusional fanboy attitude by some of the buyers is getting a bit weird IMO.

Hey, I've got the tri-color 150 and love it! hahaha. Am I the fastest thing around? Not even close, but definitely faster than anything smaller, and so far, also faster than the old 150 models I've run again, which is about 5 now. I can't tool along at 150kph, but 120 is not difficult, and the bike is very comfortable for long distances, i.e. Chiang Mai to Chom Phae and back, and performs well in all road conditions.

Will I "upgrade" to the 250? Probably, but only for the additional torque and h.p. for the longer trips and the mountains.

But seriously, folks, sometimes comparing bike to bike is like comparing apples to oranges. If you've got something you like, regardless of what it is, great, be happy with it.

Nothing could catch the CBR, absolutely nothing And it wasn't for lack of triers either. Many attempted, all failed I have to assume you are racing Fino's again since any sportsbike would leave you floundering at the 150 kph mark (easily achieved in second gear on many bikes). Any car around the Civic level would cruise past you while the driver was adjusting the aircon.

Fraid not.

Not when there's traffic lights, roadworks detours etc etc every 5-10km.

By the time you're touching 150kph there still struggling in double digits. They might end up doing much faster but if they don't have long empty straights they aren't going to catch you. And my word do they try. :D

BTW, the only 2 bikes I saw were 2 new ninja250's that were struggling up a hill in Khao Yai.

goodbye to all Hilux', Fortuners and minivans at 150kph I've been tailgated up to 190kph on the GSXr by Fortuners, even by the odd 3.0 Hilux. Once again you're in Dreamland.

How long did it take them to get there?

The fastest I went on this ride was 155kph. Not one vehicle passed me. All types tried. Sure if they had 10km of straight road it would have been different. The odd heavy truck and bit of traffic, you're straight through, they're back down to 90kph for a minute and km's more behind before they get to put the foot back down.

We're not on about straight out top speed races, but realistic speeds on those highways, the advantage of the agile bike far outweighs the what the big boys can sustain. Two or three cars can slow them right down for minutes, with the CBR it's maybe a drop to 120 for a few seconds then straight back up 150 again and gone.

And then we have the all too predictable Ninja price reference.

My predictable price reference to the ninja650r?? :huh:

my original plan of keeping it for 2 yrs and upgrading to the Ninja650R is out the window I'd say.

It will end up with whole new exhaust system and airfilter, with the programmable FI set to keep the stock combustion ratio, what a little animal it will be then. Ninja money then spent on top class suspension

Edited by appropriate

He's right you know. It is unlikely that you will ever get into a top speed contest with a car or truck on a long clear public road, All it takes is a slight traffic jam or a set of lights or whatever and the bike is in another realm. It doesn't really matter if the car or truck can do 250 kph, the bike will probably get there quicker in the real world.

He's right you know. It is unlikely that you will ever get into a top speed contest with a car or truck on a long clear public road, All it takes is a slight traffic jam or a set of lights or whatever and the bike is in another realm. It doesn't really matter if the car or truck can do 250 kph, the bike will probably get there quicker in the real world.

Ditto.

Ditto.

Ditto ditto.

Even in the right conditions on Sukhumvit, my little Wave AT beats almost anything including big bikes; although i am wringing it's neck at 95 kph! And it is a forum for CBR250s and it is good to see owners being enthusiastic! :clap2:

Nice write ups Snowflake and appropriate.

When the 250 came out, one of the main questions being asked was: "Is it a Ninja beater?", and the answer was pretty much "No", but I have a feeling that could definitely change over the next year or so.

From all the reviews, tests, etc., about the only place the CBR doesn't win a "head to head" is flat out top speed, but with this being a "World Bike", and the market starting to bulge with aftermarket parts for both cosmetic and performance enhancement, it may not be long before the Ninja is being left behind by some 250's with mods.

Not only that, but with Honda's marketing savvy, they're seeing the acceptance of the 250 by the general public, and I have a feeling that they may already be working on how to increase horsepower so that it does become a "Ninja beater" in the next year or so. Of course, unless they're complete smug idiots, the boys a Kawasaki also think this way, and are busy trying to figure out how they can keep that from happening.

All in all, I think the next couple of years are going to be interesting for these two, with the bike buying public getting the benefit of it all.

Edited by Just1Voice

In 800km over the two days on basically free highways not one vehicle passed the little CBR. And at least one vehicle of every kind had a go. After 4 yrs of being bossed and bullied around the road I think it's a fair call to get it out of the system and spend a few days humiliating and destroying the 'big boys' in their 'big toys'. A few of them will be tossing and turning tonight for sure, they don't seem to like a youngish farang on a little bike leaving them for absolute dead.

How fortunate you didn't come across any real sport bikes on your little ride- wonder if your ego could handle the humiliation...

Happy Trails!

T

I got my bike back!

Still making that sound - Honda said its due to the design of the engine. Im waiting for a written report.

I missed it so much! The smile has returned to my face after 4 weeks of absence. biggrin.gifph34r.gif

Edited by Kernow86

In 800km over the two days on basically free highways not one vehicle passed the little CBR. And at least one vehicle of every kind had a go. After 4 yrs of being bossed and bullied around the road I think it's a fair call to get it out of the system and spend a few days humiliating and destroying the 'big boys' in their 'big toys'. A few of them will be tossing and turning tonight for sure, they don't seem to like a youngish farang on a little bike leaving them for absolute dead.

How fortunate you didn't come across any real sport bikes on your little ride- wonder if your ego could handle the humiliation...

Happy Trails!

T

There's a chance we could see handbags soon! laugh.gif

I guess that depends where you ride. If you're riding around Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket etc then I'd agree. I regularly go for weekend breaks out of Bangkok, down to Rayong, Sattahip, Baan Chang etc. and there's plenty of long roads where you can cruise at around 170-180 and still get passed by cars. I've also ridden the roads in the trip report above, which is why I was surprised by the claims that the 150kph CBR was uncatchable given the Mercedes, BMW's and sportsbikes that I see blasting their way along these roads.

I sense issues... ;)

Seriously if you're youngish and on a bike with that attitude, you might find yourself in a ditch sooner rather than later. Be careful!

The CBR will be faster than any bike smaller than it, and slower than any bike bigger than it, no big mystery there...

Darn... I got up in time to miss the morning traffic, but i forgot to turn the toll way option off on my gps... Did not notice before the third attempt to get me up there... Been on the road for about an hour and a bit... Last mcbreakfast for a few months...

Time to feel like i was molested last night by a bunch of lady boys... Only stopping for petrol on the way down:-) i hope i will be home by 7pm.. But not sure...

Happy Trails!

T

While I find cbr 250 to be a nice, inexpensive beginner or girl bike, lucky there wasnt any real bikes around :rolleyes: . Or a yammy 500 Tmax auto, which I used to have and would have left you in dust. :whistling: you could have beaten my 1800cc cruiser tho, as it was slow in curves :unsure:

Besides I usually cruise highways at 160kmh with my Vigo, sometimes reduced to 140kmh if loaded with Ninja 650s tho :) better not be in the right lane with a cbr250, cause Vigos brakes aint that great :lol:

must admit admiring you guys riding thousands of km on a 250, not to mention my friend in Hua Hin going 800km roundtrip for visa runs to Ranong on a wave :jap:

Thats a biker :)

Damm my new bike not uncatchable.. there goes the dream. Actually i even let motorcycles catch me if i deem it too dangerous to go fast somewhere. I don't care much about speed i love the torque plus the fact it handles great in a traffic jam.

Generally speaking where i drive i could be the fastest most of the times. (busy Bangkok roads), but often don't try as i not want to shorten the life span of the driver :D

I make fun of everyone, including myself. It's called taking the piss. Good lord there are some thin skinned cry babies on this forum... :passifier::rolleyes::lol:

Sure Tony.. just keep believing that. Its not the first time and you know that well. Show me where you put yourself down and then ill see it as taking the piss. I am quite thick skinned. Just don't like people who put others down to compensate for their own short comings.

He made a valid remark also reminding me about this and others.

I'm perfectly happy to admit when I fack up, like when I binned the Gixxer last week- http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4338861

Or when I dumped my 650R in Nan way back when (sorry, can't be arsed to dig up the link).

OR...

oh wait, that's not me... :D

You're absolutely right that I will continue to tease and joke on this forum. Some folks take themselves a bit too seriously methinks. :rolleyes:

And sorry, but if you need to be reminded to clean and oil your chain, then you too must be new to motorcycles... :passifier:

Happy Trails!

Tony :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, is that hysterically laughing snapperhead in the above VDO Tony?

Yet another contradiction from Tony! How many videos have you posted on here of you on your gixxer chasing other bikes at ridiculous speeds on PUBLIC roads? :ermm:

Nonsense- I never push my limits or get a knee down on public roads.

Compare my lean angles on public roads like this-

vs on the track-

What you call "ridiculous speeds", I call cruising :passifier:

I make fun of everyone, including myself. It's called taking the piss. Good lord there are some thin skinned cry babies on this forum... :passifier::rolleyes::lol:

Sure Tony.. just keep believing that. Its not the first time and you know that well. Show me where you put yourself down and then ill see it as taking the piss. I am quite thick skinned. Just don't like people who put others down to compensate for their own short comings.

He made a valid remark also reminding me about this and others.

I'm perfectly happy to admit when I fack up, like when I binned the Gixxer last week- http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4338861

Or when I dumped my 650R in Nan way back when (sorry, can't be arsed to dig up the link).

OR...

oh wait, that's not me... :D

You're absolutely right that I will continue to tease and joke on this forum. Some folks take themselves a bit too seriously methinks. :rolleyes:

And sorry, but if you need to be reminded to clean and oil your chain, then you too must be new to motorcycles... :passifier:

Happy Trails!

Tony :thumbsup:

Just out of curiosity, is that hysterically laughing snapperhead in the above VDO Tony?

Sorry, that's not me and I don't know what a snapperhead is...

New mirrors, gear shifter, and brake pedal:

Nice one Brain! Are those mirrors really practical? Had one of those "Koso" before looking good but , shaky and cant really see much.

@appropriate i think you have been quite euphoric with your post. I take the bike as what it is a little fun bike, thats all......

Nice one Brain! Are those mirrors really practical? Had one of those "Koso" before looking good but , shaky and cant really see much.

@appropriate i think you have been quite euphoric with your post. I take the bike as what it is a little fun bike, thats all......

A classic case of form over function. The adjustment on the mirrors is tricky, but if you get it just right, you can see ok. One them was a bit shaky coming in this morning. I tightened up the set screws, and it seems much better.

A classic case of form over function. The adjustment on the mirrors is tricky, but if you get it just right, you can see ok. One them was a bit shaky coming in this morning. I tightened up the set screws, and it seems much better.

I am a big fan of form over function! I think they look great and as long as you keep a set of allen/torque keys in your kit then tightening the screws once a week is a small price to pay for some sharp looking mirrors! How much did it cost to do the mirrors by the way?

Done 600k so far today, and i feel violated!

Noone can say that the cbr is not a good bike... Performs beautifully on this trip... Cruising nicely at 135... It is a bit thirsty but who cares?

The bike is packed with about 160kg... Me and gear so it is good!

Yesterday i looked at a ninja in siam paragon, the seat looks bigger so i think it would be a tad more comfortable on this trip- not saying anything negative about the cbr here...

I am pleased with it, but an upgrade is needed since i am huge- but for a thai- perfect size...

I am a big fan of form over function! I think they look great and as long as you keep a set of allen/torque keys in your kit then tightening the screws once a week is a small price to pay for some sharp looking mirrors! How much did it cost to do the mirrors by the way?

They are 2,300 incuding installation here at Sumet. You should be able to find them (Kasso) at most accessory shops for around 2,000. The threads for these mirrors are larger, so you have to use a tap to rethread the the stock mirror sockets or use an adaptor.