Dangers And Annoyances In Thailand

snamos

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bothers me more personally, is that most Thai people have never learned to read a map - and if you cannot read a map, street names do not make much sense. Easy to explain which street you are talking about if this street has a clear landmark ( a big hotel for instance), but if anything sticking out is lacking, it can be difficult.

Many Thais cannot read and write ........... so they can't read a map and they don't know the road names .... cos they can't read them ...... DOH!

I always laugh when tourists get place names written in Thai to give to Tuktuk drivers ..... might as well write in English .... they can't read or write any language!

It's not necessarily the reading and writing issue but one of the education system

Thais do not learn how to read a map at school. Despite wearing that lovely scout uniform once a week, map reading is not on the syllabus and even many reasonably educated Thais do not understand maps. It's a bit ironic that whenever you want a product delivered, they ask you to draw a map. My GF always gets me to do this for her but hen she writes the directions in Thai in addition. This generally works and I've found that many drivers, even tuk tuks, can follow concise directions written in Thai.

I don't understand why Thai drivers must drive in the middle of two lanes (slower than the traffic flow) so i asked a female companion what's the deal.

She stated that Thai's think it's safe because they follow the lane marking as a guide where to go and can avoid a head on accident more easily as well as being easier to avoid bikes and cars coming out of side streets.

'Thai logic' can be added to the oxymoron list.

Point taken...I will change my style...I wasnt aware of this protocol :)

Cool,

I am not usually a pedant, but you can see how it alters the flow.

Back to the topic,

Something that annoys me is losing my place in line at the 7-11 just because I left more than a body width between me and the next guy.

Point taken...I will change my style...I wasnt aware of this protocol :)

Cool,

I am not usually a pedant, but you can see how it alters the flow.

Back to the topic,

Something that annoys me is losing my place in line at the 7-11 just because I left more than a body width between me and the next guy.

you should arm yourself with a BB gun...I have a Desert Eagle double spring action which I bought from Phuket Town, puts a hole right through a can of beer......sorts out them pesky line pushers :D

Whats with the road works at Kata and Karon.....??? couldnt they please leave one road through to Patong unmolested? Now both the beach road and Patak road are full of construction and sand

:realangry:

Edited by snamos

doing on u turn on a normal road with 1 lane on each side, when you're almost done turning(and stuck behind a parked car) you start backing up a couple CM's to be able to finish the maneuver , obviously 3-4 motorbikes will try to cut around you and then honk in disbelief when you start moving your vehicle forward.

They probably think im going to park sideways in the middle of 2 lanes?

Edited by ilyelol