Is The Gold Market Really Liquid When Price Downhill?

This is not a worry at all. Thailand is a major gold trading hub of Southeast Asia. They can export or import gold to satisfy demand faster than you can consider your options. The retail shops can sell scrap gold up the food chain in less time than it takes you to drive home.

You may have a problem if the price is truly in freefall, and literally collapsing by the minute, but as long as it is relatively stable for several hours there is almost no risk at all. That isn't to say some shops who do extremely low volumes might not be less interested in your business if they happen to be low on cash at the exact time you try and sell, and might subsequently make you an extremely low offer, but the bigger shops in Chinatown will always be ready and willing.

There are also small retail shops that specialize in holding onto your gold and trying to resell it to an individual purchaser later on. They do this because this way they can keep the margin that would otherwise be paid to the refiners. This model clearly doesn't work during a fast price collapse, so you would simply have to go to a shop that is a bit more professional. There are so many shops and the industry is so well organized that unless you are in a truly small village outside of Nakhon Nowhere you should have no problems at all.

I can think of few places better than Thailand for gold sales or purchases. Buying or selling, these guys make a profit both directions.

This is not a worry at all. Thailand is a major gold trading hub of Southeast Asia. They can export or import gold to satisfy demand faster than you can consider your options. The retail shops can sell scrap gold up the food chain in less time than it takes you to drive home.

You may have a problem if the price is truly in freefall, and literally collapsing by the minute, but as long as it is relatively stable for several hours there is almost no risk at all. That isn't to say some shops who do extremely low volumes might not be less interested in your business if they happen to be low on cash at the exact time you try and sell, and might subsequently make you an extremely low offer, but the bigger shops in Chinatown will always be ready and willing.

There are also small retail shops that specialize in holding onto your gold and trying to resell it to an individual purchaser later on. They do this because this way they can keep the margin that would otherwise be paid to the refiners. This model clearly doesn't work during a fast price collapse, so you would simply have to go to a shop that is a bit more professional. There are so many shops and the industry is so well organized that unless you are in a truly small village outside of Nakhon Nowhere you should have no problems at all.

I can think of few places better than Thailand for gold sales or purchases. Buying or selling, these guys make a profit both directions.

Just curious.

Are the transactions in those countries other than Thailand considered by local authorities as legitimate purchase and sale?

If they are, I would be extremely interested and won't mind paying you finder fees of sort. Regards. It is better to email me, I don't visit Thaivisa often. Thx much.

THAIPHUKET

As far as I know, there is no problem buying or selling gold in Thailand,

regardless whether the market is trending up or down.

Who buys? Gold shops or private individuals.

Just be cautious, first time around asking for best prices, there could be someone also interested to relieve you off your gold without compensating you.

Edited by mkawish