American Football

ChuckZ

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hometown Carolina Panthers have signed Vinnie Testaverde, who is 44 like me, and who is color blind unlike me. I was living in Tampa when they signed him, and I was just sick. But this time around, I am thrilled. Look out all you Patriot fans, we're taking your Lombardi this time!

Vinnie is still a good backup. Who is your starter?

David Carr is starting for the Panthers. Behind him, Matt Moore. (Who?) Vinnie Testaverde's insurance, and I happen to like the guy. As soon as he left Tampa, I started cheering for him. I never thought he'd wind up with Carolina. I guess Kerry Collins couldn't get his heart into the game.

Edited by CalicoConsulting

Right now on TSP4, the Chargers are stomping on the Broncos if you're interested.

Will the Cowboys/Bills game be shown on CNBC on Sunday evening? In previous weeks they have had the past Monday night game on the following Sunday starting at 6PM. After this, they have had NFL Game Day. I haven't seen this game, but the guy who blogged it for Sports Illustrated called it the best game he had ever seen. Being a Cowboys fan, I am sure I will agree.

David Carr is starting for the Panthers. Behind him, Matt Moore. (Who?) Vinnie Testaverde's insurance, and I happen to like the guy. As soon as he left Tampa, I started cheering for him. I never thought he'd wind up with Carolina. I guess Kerry Collins couldn't get his heart into the game.

First of all, I think Vinnie Testaverde is one of the classiest guys in the NFL. A genuinely nice guy.

That said, he is definitely only there for insurance, as you said; and perhaps to give some guidance to the starter, David Carr "Wreck". The only way the Panthers get close to a Lombardi with Carr is if they visit Vince's grave. :-)

The Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl for the NFC. There, they will lose to either my Patriots or the Colts. It's too early to tell which of them will make it. The Cowboys would be about 4th or 5th best in the AFC.

First of all, I think Vinnie Testaverde is one of the classiest guys in the NFL. A genuinely nice guy.

That said, he is definitely only there for insurance, as you said; and perhaps to give some guidance to the starter, David Carr "Wreck". The only way the Panthers get close to a Lombardi with Carr is if they visit Vince's grave. :-)

The Cowboys are going to the Super Bowl for the NFC. There, they will lose to either my Patriots or the Colts. It's too early to tell which of them will make it. The Cowboys would be about 4th or 5th best in the AFC.

It is understandable that, like most of us, you primarily know about the team you root for and little about teams in the opposing league. I haven't a clue whether the Cowboys will beat the Pats, but what I do know is that the Cowboys defense is just getting better and better. In the last three games their defense has given up just 20 points (remember the Bills scored on interceptions and a kickoff return). In addition, their best cornerback (Henry) will be returning soon and in a few weeks Tank Johnson will be eligible (last year's starting DT with the Bears). As for Romo, he has one game left to complete just his first year as an NFL starter. So far, his stat are: record: 11-4, 305-of-481 (63.4 pct); 4,149 yards (276.6 ypg); 29 TDs and 18 INTs. Each week this team gets better and better.

4th or 5th best in the AFC? Other than the Colts and the Pats, who else? Last year the Cowboys beat the Superbowl champ Colts, something the Pats are still trying to figure out how to do. It is a long season and injuries always play a big part. Let's wait until the playoffs before making predictions on who is better.

Who would you rather have on your team, Bill Parcells and Terrell Owens?

You can't believe what you just answered, can you? Strange days indeed.

The best thing Parcells ever had going for him was Belichick. The best thing T.O. has going for him is Witten. Really kind of a toss up ... no, you are right. Parcells can't catch passes.

I just had a bit of a surreal experience. ITEZ on TSP2. ITEZ means "Into The End Zone." Three people chattering in Thai about the NFL, then some great clips of TDs and interceptions, then more chatter in the studio, then more clips, etc. A great piece in English about how the Packers are owned by their fans. Then back to the clips and the chatter.

I don't mean to be insulting when I call it chatter. But since it's still a foreign language to me, I had to turn the sound off.

At the end, a reminder of the games they'll be showing live. Bungles and somebody, then Patriots and Cowboys. You should come away from this knowing that True is committed to those Sunday afternoon games, which I won't be awake for at midnight and 3.15am because I have a job. They've put together an impressive (for Thais) 30-minute show just to hype them. That means something.

Meanwhile, I've written on the white board above my computer screen that I MUST watch CNBC on Sunday night, thank you OMR. Peter King's blog on SI isn't the only place where Dallas/Buffalo has been called the greatest game ever. For me, the greatest game is Chargers/Dolphins in the playoffs, early 80s, but I know Peter King was watching that one too, so I'm psyched. (I wasn't late for school the next morning -- I believe it was MNF with Cossell, Gifford, and Meredith.)

The only reason I have the Gold package and not the Silver is for the NFL. I'd love SNF and/or MNF to return, because I'm willing to say "screw work" for them. Hey, I own the company, and the office is in my house. But I just can't quite do the Sunday night owl trick because it'd mess up my aging metabolism.

Oh well. The good news, again, is that they're serious about those games I can't be awake for, so by extension I assume they'll keep showing me those commercial-free delayed games I devour, and NFL Game Day. That's a whole lot more than I had in China. For SIX YEARS!

The best thing Parcells ever had going for him was Belichick. The best thing T.O. has going for him is Witten. Really kind of a toss up ... no, you are right. Parcells can't catch passes.

I'm afraid you've got the Owens-Witten thing backwards. It's Owens stretching the field, and demanding double coverage, that opens things up for Witten. The same thing is happening in New England with Randy Moss and TE Ben Watson.

But you're certainly correct about Belichick's contribution to Parcell's success. Although BB can't catch passes either. :-)

We will know in a little over 3 days if I'm right about the Patriots superiority to the Cowboys. What I believe we'll see is that the Patriots front 7 will dominate the Cowboys OL. As result, Romo will see more pressure, from more directions, than he has ever experienced. This will result in more mistakes. Adalius Thomas and Rodney Harrison will severely limit Witten's production; and Owens will usually be double covered. Some opportunities will be there for Crayton, but not enough to help the Cowboys offset what the Patriots offense will do to the untested Cowboys defense.

The 'Boys wins have been over NYG, MIA, CHI, STL, BUF. Those offenses rank 16, 19, 30, 27, and 31, respectively. Against that competition, their defense ranks 8th in the NFL, surrrendering 19 points per game. The Pats 5 opponents (NYJ, SD, BUF, CIN, CLE) rank 29, 18, 31, 4, and 8. Against that competition, the Pats defense ranks #2, surrendering an average of 13 points per game.

On the other side of the ball, neither highly ranked offense (Cowboys #1, Patriots #2) has faced a particularly tough defense. The Cowboys opponents defenses rank 13, 24, 23, 27, and 32. The Patriots opponents rank 29, 22, 32, 30, 31. So both offenses will be facing their toughest test to date.

I look for the Patriots to win the battle of the trenches on both sides of the ball. That, the significant superiority of Brady over Romo, and, of course, the significant superiority of Belichick over Phillips, will be the difference.

Final score: Patriots 34 - Cowboys 17.

I've gotta agree with Patsfangr, and not just because I despise Dallas. BeliCheat is one of the greatest minds ever to coach the game, and he's got more talent to work with than he ever did before. Dallas, while much improved, probably the class of the NFC, cannot compete talentwise. Plus. Wade Phillips still looks like he oughta be coaching the Special Olympics. Um, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Betcha both teams wish they had David Carr and Vinnie Testaverde...

I just had a bit of a surreal experience. ITEZ on TSP2. ITEZ means "Into The End Zone." Three people chattering in Thai about the NFL, then some great clips of TDs and interceptions, then more chatter in the studio, then more clips, etc. A great piece in English about how the Packers are owned by their fans. Then back to the clips and the chatter.

I don't mean to be insulting when I call it chatter. But since it's still a foreign language to me, I had to turn the sound off.

At the end, a reminder of the games they'll be showing live. Bungles and somebody, then Patriots and Cowboys. You should come away from this knowing that True is committed to those Sunday afternoon games, which I won't be awake for at midnight and 3.15am because I have a job. They've put together an impressive (for Thais) 30-minute show just to hype them. That means something.

Meanwhile, I've written on the white board above my computer screen that I MUST watch CNBC on Sunday night, thank you OMR. Peter King's blog on SI isn't the only place where Dallas/Buffalo has been called the greatest game ever. For me, the greatest game is Chargers/Dolphins in the playoffs, early 80s, but I know Peter King was watching that one too, so I'm psyched. (I wasn't late for school the next morning -- I believe it was MNF with Cossell, Gifford, and Meredith.)

The only reason I have the Gold package and not the Silver is for the NFL. I'd love SNF and/or MNF to return, because I'm willing to say "screw work" for them. Hey, I own the company, and the office is in my house. But I just can't quite do the Sunday night owl trick because it'd mess up my aging metabolism.

Oh well. The good news, again, is that they're serious about those games I can't be awake for, so by extension I assume they'll keep showing me those commercial-free delayed games I devour, and NFL Game Day. That's a whole lot more than I had in China. For SIX YEARS!

I will set the alarm for the Pokes/Pats game. Ordinarily, if the Pokes get behind I go back to sleep, but this year there is no telling what will happen. From what I read, the Cowboys/Bills game sounded very much like the Heidi game. That is a game I will never forget. I saw most of it, at least until Heidi appeared.

Oh, and I forgot to describe the set of Into The End Zone. Huge drawings of NFL players as comic book superheroes. At the end of the show, an animation of a cartoon guy running up to the ball and kicking it between the uprights. Comics and footie. You can't miss.

They also did a great report on how Trent Green got his head smashed. It made me wish I could understand Thai, just because I'd love to know what they think about it.

(I used to be fluent in Spanish, I learned about the US invasion of Iraq on Chinese TV and was able to haggle in the marketplace like a native, but I have not learned Thai yet. I need to spend at least a year in a country before I can even start trying to learn its language. But I edits English reel gud.)

post-32884-1192120120_thumb.jpg

P.S. Heidi! Heidi! Heidi!

I'm afraid you've got the Owens-Witten thing backwards. It's Owens stretching the field, and demanding double coverage, that opens things up for Witten. The same thing is happening in New England with Randy Moss and TE Ben Watson.

But you're certainly correct about Belichick's contribution to Parcell's success. Although BB can't catch passes either. :-)

We will know in a little over 3 days if I'm right about the Patriots superiority to the Cowboys. What I believe we'll see is that the Patriots front 7 will dominate the Cowboys OL. As result, Romo will see more pressure, from more directions, than he has ever experienced. This will result in more mistakes. Adalius Thomas and Rodney Harrison will severely limit Witten's production; and Owens will usually be double covered. Some opportunities will be there for Crayton, but not enough to help the Cowboys offset what the Patriots offense will do to the untested Cowboys defense.

The 'Boys wins have been over NYG, MIA, CHI, STL, BUF. Those offenses rank 16, 19, 30, 27, and 31, respectively. Against that competition, their defense ranks 8th in the NFL, surrrendering 19 points per game. The Pats 5 opponents (NYJ, SD, BUF, CIN, CLE) rank 29, 18, 31, 4, and 8. Against that competition, the Pats defense ranks #2, surrendering an average of 13 points per game.

On the other side of the ball, neither highly ranked offense (Cowboys #1, Patriots #2) has faced a particularly tough defense. The Cowboys opponents defenses rank 13, 24, 23, 27, and 32. The Patriots opponents rank 29, 22, 32, 30, 31. So both offenses will be facing their toughest test to date.

I look for the Patriots to win the battle of the trenches on both sides of the ball. That, the significant superiority of Brady over Romo, and, of course, the significant superiority of Belichick over Phillips, will be the difference.

On Owens/Witten I should have said vice versa (thought of it after I sent the message) as they both live over the middle. One clears for the other, although T.O. can break it at any time (he is unbelievably fast). Both blue chip receivers.

Like I said, I don't have an opinion on Sunday's game, but I do think you are selling Dallas' OL short. Their OL isn't the same one they had last year. Jones went into the free agency market and spent USD 26 million for OL talent. Their OL is now considered one of the best in football, so it is hard to see how any team will push them around. On the defensive side, they play a 3-4, hence, you really can't look at their DL as stand alone.

We will see about Romo. You are correct that the Pats need to keep him in the pocket. The point being made that he is best when forced out of the pocket so he can play "streetball." I would like to see Dallas employing a moving pocket so Romo can do what he does. Anyway, it is just one game and both will take losses before the season is over.

It sounds like we have different expectations about our teams. If Dallas just makes the championship game I will be happy. For your team, nothing short of a SB win will make the Pat fans happy and Indianapolis will stop that from happening.

Um, just to be the TV Jester again...

I have much much respect for Dungy because I did spend some time in Tampa, and I love that Manning calls his own plays unlike all the other ###### robot QBs out there (I was a QB), but I can't see the Colts beating the Patriots in the AFC Championship. It will be New England winning the Super Bowl this time around. And they won't be playing against my Panthers this time around, dagnabbit. Or the Bucs.

OMR, Schramm and Landry are scum. I think, this year, I finally decided to forgive the Cowboys for that abomination. I pulled for them when Jimmy Johnson was coaching, then turned against them in the Switzer days and was able to once again face myself in the mirror. I've always hated Parcells, so you know how I felt about them last year. But this year, I'm okay with them. I've decided I like old Jerry Jones after all, and I no longer feel guilty about cheering for Jimmy's team. But they're still not going to beat the Patriots this weekend.

Are the Patriots missing Vinnie? Hahahahaha.....

post-32884-1192121625.jpg

"Yabba-dabba-do I get paid?"

I have much much respect for Dungy because I did spend some time in Tampa, and I love that Manning calls his own plays unlike all the other ###### robot QBs out there (I was a QB), but I can't see the Colts beating the Patriots in the AFC Championship. It will be New England winning the Super Bowl this time around. And they won't be playing against my Panthers this time around, dagnabbit. Or the Bucs.

OMR, Schramm and Landry are scum. I think, this year, I finally decided to forgive the Cowboys for that abomination. I pulled for them when Jimmy Johnson was coaching, then turned against them in the Switzer days and was able to once again face myself in the mirror. I've always hated Parcells, so you know how I felt about them last year. But this year, I'm okay with them. I've decided I like old Jerry Jones after all, and I no longer feel guilty about cheering for Jimmy's team. But they're still not going to beat the Patriots this weekend.

Let's see, the Pats haven't beaten the Colts in over two years. You can't see the Colts beating the Pats? I can.

On Owens/Witten I should have said vice versa (thought of it after I sent the message) as they both live over the middle. One clears for the other, although T.O. can break it at any time (he is unbelievably fast). Both blue chip receivers.

Like I said, I don't have an opinion on Sunday's game, but I do think you are selling Dallas' OL short. Their OL isn't the same one they had last year. Jones went into the free agency market and spent USD 26 million for OL talent. Their OL is now considered one of the best in football, so it is hard to see how any team will push them around. On the defensive side, they play a 3-4, hence, you really can't look at their DL as stand alone.

We will see about Romo. You are correct that the Pats need to keep him in the pocket. The point being made that he is best when forced out of the pocket so he can play "streetball." I would like to see Dallas employing a moving pocket so Romo can do what he does. Anyway, it is just one game and both will take losses before the season is over.

It sounds like we have different expectations about our teams. If Dallas just makes the championship game I will be happy. For your team, nothing short of a SB win will make the Pat fans happy and Indianapolis will stop that from happening.

As you say, we have different expectations for our teams. The Patriots offense is the best it's been at any time during the Belichick era. He (and Brady) have never had the combination of weapons they have now, including the best OL he's had thus far. Same is true for the front 7. The addition of Adalius Thomas to the LB corps of Bruschi, Vrabel, and Colvin makes that the best starting 4 LBs in the league. That single addition has provided Belichick with so many more options for his brilliant defensive mind that he can and does present a mind boggling combination of looks for every offense to deal with. And the DL, despite the current absence of All Pro, Richard Seymour, is still among the best, with Wilfork flanked by Ty Warren and the under rated Jarvis Green, who's practically unknown outside of NE, but would start for most of the teams in the league. After what I saw of the Dallas OL against the Bills last week, I just can't see them dealing with the Patriots front 7.

As for the Colts, the same thing applies, with regard to our offense. They have not faced a Patriots team with this much firepower over the last two years. Their defense improved from what it was 2 years ago, before which we owned them. When they beccame capable of keeping our offense in check, they had more time for their great offense to score. This year, they'll have a lot more trouble with our offense, which will make it a very close game. It really could go either way in Indianapolis, and could literally come down to who has the ball last. Should be a great game!

I can't stand Jerry Jones. I'm a "team" guy. That includes the "NFL team". Jones is 100% "ME FIRST". He is the only owner who refuses to share advertising revenue with the rest of the league. It's the "sharing" philosophy that helped the NFL grow to the strong organization it is today. He wants the Cowboys to be a "stand alone" organization, when it suits him, while raking in the profits that are the direct result of being part of the NFL.

Add that to his enormous ego, which drove Johnson, the best coach he's ever had, out of town, and you have a very distasteful package, IMO. I respected the Cowboys, including Stramm and Landry, during their great years in the 60's and early 70's. Since Jones took over, they're on my "Love to see 'em lose" list.

(That list, by the way, is topped by the Jets, Colts, and Raidahs, in that order. Then come the Steelers, followed by the Dolphins. The Cowboys are way down at #6.) :-)

the cowboys bill game is on right now (sat aft bkk time) on cnbc

and tomorrow at 1900 (sing time, same as bkk?? i forget) the bears packrs game is on cnbc as well

now we are getting somewhere, that will be 4 games this week

da bears ( i hope)

Right now on TSP4, the Chargers are stomping on the Broncos if you're interested.

Will the Cowboys/Bills game be shown on CNBC on Sunday evening? In previous weeks they have had the past Monday night game on the following Sunday starting at 6PM. After this, they have had NFL Game Day. I haven't seen this game, but the guy who blogged it for Sports Illustrated called it the best game he had ever seen. Being a Cowboys fan, I am sure I will agree.

the cowboys bill game is on right now (sat aft bkk time) on cnbc

and tomorrow at 1900 (sing time, same as bkk?? i forget) the bears packrs game is on cnbc as well

now we are getting somewhere, that will be 4 games this week

da bears ( i hope)

Bangkok is one hour behind Singapore, so the tape of the Pokes/Bills game will be tomorrow (Sunday) at 6PM (hopefully).

I can't stand Jerry Jones. I'm a "team" guy. That includes the "NFL team". Jones is 100% "ME FIRST". He is the only owner who refuses to share advertising revenue with the rest of the league. It's the "sharing" philosophy that helped the NFL grow to the strong organization it is today. He wants the Cowboys to be a "stand alone" organization, when it suits him, while raking in the profits that are the direct result of being part of the NFL.

Patsfangr, this is an odd comment about Jerry Jones given the Pats coach that you idolize just last month was caught cheating other NFL teams, which resulted in huge fines and losses of draft choices next year.

Those that live in glass houses......

Patsfangr, this is an odd comment about Jerry Jones given the Pats coach that you idolize just last month was caught cheating other NFL teams, which resulted in huge fines and losses of draft choices next year.

Those that live in glass houses......

Pats haters will never let go of the word "cheating" for that, will they? Belichick broke a league rule. The information gathered from the video camera is no more valuable than information gathered by any number of other means by all teams; such as advance scouts, binoculars in the coaches box, etc. That's the opinion expressed by most of the present and former NFL coaches who have commented on it. Additionally, it's generally acknowledged that there were many other NFL teams doing the same thing. None of them were back-stabbed by a petulant, ungrateful, weasel, as Belichick was by Mangini. The press loves a story that brings down the people at the top; whether it's in sports, entertainment, or politics. So they exaggerate the story, and will do everything they can to keep it alive as long as possible. It's a lot easier than working to find new, real material to report on.

In any case, that situation has nothing to do with Jones greedy "loner" attitude toward the golden goose that's making him richer. As I said, the NFL's success is due, in no small part, to the revenue sharing plan that was created by Pete Rozelle, many years ago. Jones is fighting against that plan, and undermining the league for his own personal profit. That is fact. And he is the only owner doing so.