American Football

ChuckZ

Tomlinson tried playing with a fully torn ACL; he also had the knee scoped on Monday, before the game. Not wise decisions (player, team) IMO. Favre should probably retire; Chargers should have tried Volek as Rivers was less than 50%. Brady took normal reps. in practice before the game, and no flu reported as it is with other players in the NFL injury reports (although this is not an absolute and expect Coach B likes to keep secrets), also Brady has been spotted this week limping and in a walking cast (right foot), am hoping the cold weather contributed to Brady's diffculty passing and the injury is minor. I have the week 17 Pats vs. Giant game in digital format so will be reviewing that before the Superbowl. Spread is 14, seems high to me.

Actually, it was Rivers who had his knee scoped on Monday. LT has a sprained MCL which will not require surgery. San Diego put up a good fight. But New England has shown throughout the year that they can exert their will on any team in the league. I expect them to do it again in the Super Bowl.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a shame for a team to go undefeated up to the SB and then lose. I expect the Giants think they have already accomplished everything and more than they expected while the Patriots enter the SB thinking they haven't accomplished anything without this win. The Patriots will want it more and after seeing Eli several times this year and knowing Coughlin, I can't see them ever winning the SB. Their defense will do their best, but I don't think Manning will come through again and I know Coughlin will somehow push the wrong buttons.

It would be a shame for a team to go undefeated up to the SB and then lose. I expect the Giants think they have already accomplished everything and more than they expected while the Patriots enter the SB thinking they haven't accomplished anything without this win. The Patriots will want it more and after seeing Eli several times this year and knowing Coughlin, I can't see them ever winning the SB. Their defense will do their best, but I don't think Manning will come through again and I know Coughlin will somehow push the wrong buttons.

Speaking of "pushing the wrong buttons", what did you think of the idiotic decision made by Norv Turner to PUNT from the Patriots 36 yard line, with 9:21 remaining in the game, the Patriots leading by 9 points, and the knowledge that the Patriots had been running the ball at will throughout the 2nd Half?

Before the Chargers snapped the ball on 3rd Down, I told my wife that they definitely would use 2 Downs, if necessary to go for the 1st Down. While I didn't expect the Patriots to run off the entire 9 minutes that remained, I definitely thought they could run off enough time to prevent the Chargers from scoring twice, if the Chargers failed to score on that drive. That was a really stupid decision by Turner. I, of course, believe that the Patriots would have won, whether or not the Chargers made a 1st Down there. But it was a terrible decision, strategically, not to go for it.

Were I the Chargers coach, I would have played that for 2 plays, using a short pass on the 3rd and 10, to leave a "manageable" distance of less than 5 yards on 4th down. But, whatever the distance, I definitely would have gone for it on 4th Down.

***** Since the sports media will be overwhelming the senses of sports fans

in the USA with printed, audio, and video "fluff" during this interminable 2

week build up to the Super Bowl, I thought I'd take this opportunity to make

a contribution to that avalanche with summary of the Patriots season to

date, and yet to come! :-)

***** Let's start with a little "Didja Know" of Patriots Super Bowl facts:

1. This will be the Patriots 6th Super Bowl appearance. Only the Cowboys,

with 8, have more. The Steelers and Broncos also have 6.

2. The Patriots first SB was in 1986. Since that time, no other team has

made it to the SB that often. (Broncos 5 times; Bills and Giants - incl.

this one - 4 each.)

3. When the Patriots win, this 4th SB win will tie them with the 49ers for

3rd place, all time. The Steelers and Cowboys have each won 5.

4. This 4th win, will tie the Patriots with the Steelers for the most SB

wins with the same Head Coach and QB running the team.

5. When the Patriots defeat the Giants in SB XLII, completing their historic 19-0 season, they will have defeated 7 of the season's 11 other Playoff teams, including 2 defeats of 2 of those teams; the Chargers, who made it to the AFC Championship Game, and the Giants, who made it to the Super Bowl. (The combined record of the teams that the Dolphins beat in their 17-0 season was BELOW .500!)

(The other 5 Playoff teams: Colts, Cowboys, Steelers, Jaguars, and Redskins)

-- Patriots fans can no longer feel sorry for themselves!!

***** Next, how about some "Didja Know" for all teams:

1. 26 of the current 32 franchises have appeared in at least 1 S B. The

"have nots" are the Browns (although, of course, the "original" Browns, the

Ravens, did make one), Lions (oldest "same city/same franchise" to be shut

out of the SB), Cardinals, Jaguars, and Texans. Interestingly, it would

appear that neither the name "Texans", nor the city of Houston are destined

for greatness. For those who don't know it, the Kansas City Chiefs were

originally the Dallas Texans, in the old AFL.

2. 10 of those 26 teams have only made it to the SB once. It's interesting

that one of them, the Jets, played in what was, in some ways, the most

important of all of them, historically.

3. The Bills and Vikings are tied for the "futility" record; each having

lost 4 SBs, and never won one.

4. The 49ers are the only team to have appeared in more than 1 SB, and never

lost. They've won all 4 times that they've made it.

***** OK. Your turn! :-)

I think SF is 5-0 in Bowls. Another mark for BB and TB to knock down. SB's 16, 19, 23, 24, and 29. So although I'd like to avoid being greedy, they knock out NYG this year and put away two more before TB's done, there really won't be any arguing about his place in history, as if he really needs it. He's HOF-bound already, obviously.

'

I think you are underestimating the desire to win. I don't expect the Giants to "mail-it-in". Coughlin has won a Superbowl (asst. to Parcells). The Rams were 14 point favorites in Superbowl 36, and we all know what happened. In Patriots All Access (Ch. 5) last week Belichick made several references to that game, the playoff experience the Rams had and the fact that anyone can win. I honestly expect this to be a close game.

I think you are underestimating the desire to win. I don't expect the Giants to "mail-it-in". Coughlin has won a Superbowl (asst. to Parcells). The Rams were 14 point favorites in Superbowl 36, and we all know what happened. In Patriots All Access (Ch. 5) last week Belichick made several references to that game, the playoff experience the Rams had and the fact that anyone can win. I honestly expect this to be a close game.

Rest assured, the most important party, the Pats NEVER underestimate their opponents, as I know you know, really. That week 17 game started out chippy from the beginning and the Giants NEVER let up. I'd never bet that 14 pt spread. That being said, if the weather is nice, very probably, the Pats could possibly start to look like the warm weather aerial circus of the early part of this season. That would be nice, but I'd take a one point win any day.

It would be unwiseto underestimate the Giants. They've put together probably the best 4-game stretch of any team this year:

Week 17: Play the Patriots tough. This will do wonders for their confidence.

Wildcard Playoff: Road win against my poor Bucs (4th seed, 2nd ranked Defense in NFL)

Divisional Round: Road win against #1 seed Dallas

Conference Championship: Road win in sub-zero temps against #2 seed Packers in Lambeau Field.

The guys are on a roll and the Patriots have not only looked mortal lately, their QB is limping around town. Maybe he's trying to drive down the odds and place a few bets himself?

As Caliban pointed out, the Patriots will definitely NOT be underestimating the Giants.

That said, we who don't have to play the game should note a very important point. The Patriots played that game against the Giants without their starting RG (Neal), RT (Kaczur), and best blocking TE (K. Brady). Those 3 made a huge contribution to the team's success running the ball against both the Jaguars and Chargers. They'll make a huge difference against the Giants as well.

The Giants are definitely playing at the top of their game, and this will not be a "men against boys" match by any means. But I'm confident that the Patriots just have too much for any team this season, as long as they don't suffer major injuries.

Speaking of "pushing the wrong buttons", what did you think of the idiotic decision made by Norv Turner to PUNT from the Patriots 36 yard line, with 9:21 remaining in the game, the Patriots leading by 9 points, and the knowledge that the Patriots had been running the ball at will throughout the 2nd Half?

Before the Chargers snapped the ball on 3rd Down, I told my wife that they definitely would use 2 Downs, if necessary to go for the 1st Down. While I didn't expect the Patriots to run off the entire 9 minutes that remained, I definitely thought they could run off enough time to prevent the Chargers from scoring twice, if the Chargers failed to score on that drive. That was a really stupid decision by Turner. I, of course, believe that the Patriots would have won, whether or not the Chargers made a 1st Down there. But it was a terrible decision, strategically, not to go for it.

Were I the Chargers coach, I would have played that for 2 plays, using a short pass on the 3rd and 10, to leave a "manageable" distance of less than 5 yards on 4th down. But, whatever the distance, I definitely would have gone for it on 4th Down.

It was, of course, a dumb decision. Expect the same from Coughlin. Did you see Coughlin screaming at his kicker when he missed a field goal? It looked like it was the first time he had ever seen a missed FG. Even Parcells wouldn't have done that.

Hey everyone, I am from Rhode Island and am new to Bangkok. I've been driving myself nuts staying up all hours of the night just to watch the Pats play on the box score on Foxsports.com. I havent seen an actual game in a month and now the Patriots are going to the Superbowl and I am NOT missing it even though it means being up at 6am to watch the game.

Anyways, I stumbled upon this forum while running a google search on places to watch the superbowl in Bangkok. It seems like you all know the happenings with that sort of thing and I was wondering if anyone knows of some bars or anywhere that will be open at 6am to watch the game. I live in the Silom area so preferably one close to here but I am not opposed to taking a taxi anywhere in Bangkok to see the game. It would be nice not to be the only fan in the bar as well. So, if any of you know a bar that will be open at 6am for the game and probably have some other American Football fans in it that would be great. Any help is appreciated. So far all I heard of being open was some place called Madrid in Patpong but that was just a maybe.

Thanks in advanced.

For the previous two Superbowls (40 & 41) they were NOT broadcast on free TV (3/5/7/11) here in Bangkok. This year's game will be shown exclusively on TrueSport 4 which is a analog (38) and digital (64) offering from TrueVisions on the Gold or Platinum packages.

Bar/pub/restaurant owners are just starting to announce Superbowl parties. In the past, places Like Bourbon Street and Larry's Dive have had Superbowl parties. Just keep an eye out, here and around town, for announcements. I did just read in another forum about a party at The Shadow Bar, a beer bar in Soi Cowboy. I went there recently and was impressed. Fully renovated, seven LCD's, great sound system. I expect I'll go there if I decide not to watch it at home.

Edited by lomatopo

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. I dont get many channels on my TV. The only English channels I get are StarAsia Movies and The Australia Network (yippie :o ). Anyways. I definately would like to watch it at a Bar hopefully where there are some other Football fans running amok. I'm not really familiar with the city all that much. I basically only know Silom, Sathon, and some of the other random areas my thai friends I made here take me out to at 3am. Thus things like Suk. 23 or Bourbon Street or Soi Cowboy don't really light up a match in my head.

I would definately like to check these places out and see for sure if they are going to be open. I would hate to show up at 6am to a closed bar......though it wouldnt be the first time haha.

More detailed information would be really great. Also, if anyone knows of somewhere they are going to be for sure or maybe a few people are kind of in the same boat I'm in and want to meet up that would be awesome and I'll buy the first round. Even if you arent a Patriots fan hahaha.

For the previous two Superbowls (40 & 41) they were NOT broadcast on free TV (3/5/7/11) here in Bangkok. This year's game will be shown exclusively on TrueSport 4 which is a analog (38) and digital (64) offering from TrueVisions on the Gold or Platinum packages.

Lomatop, I remember specifically changing back and forth from UBC to Thai TV noticing a slight delay in the broadcast on cable from the Thai broadcast transmission. I, of course, can't specifically say it will be on this year, but it was on last year as I watched that transmission.

Lomatop, I remember specifically changing back and forth from UBC to Thai TV noticing a slight delay in the broadcast on cable from the Thai broadcast transmission. I, of course, can't specifically say it will be on this year, but it was on last year as I watched that transmission.

Lomatop, further to my reply above, now that it is in the morning and I am thinking clearer, you are right. The dual transmission last year that I was watching was ESPN and one other sports channel, and both would have been on cable. It was in previous years, as you say, that the SB showed on Thai TV and then it was on three channels at the same time (which never made any sense).

Lomatop, further to my reply above, now that it is in the morning and I am thinking clearer, you are right. The dual transmission last year that I was watching was ESPN and one other sports channel, and both would have been on cable. It was in previous years, as you say, that the SB showed on Thai TV and then it was on three channels at the same time (which never made any sense).

OMR, you're not doing any better in the morning. You just used the words "Thai" and "sense" in the same sentence. They should never be placed within several sentences of each other! :o

I'm planning on being in Bangkok for the Super Bowl. I'll be staying near the Pantip Dept Store on Petchburi Road. Would anyone know if the Super Bowl will be shown anywhere near that? Or is there one place in town that is "famous" for their big SB parties? I'd have no problem going further away if there's a better event.

I'm still in denial.

Conrgats to the NYFG and their fans. They did to the Pats what we did to the Rams in SB36.

Everyone always wants a close, exciting game and they got it. This was the most watched Superbowl ever and second only to the M-A-S-H finale.

My heart breaks for the Patriots...to come so close to perfection and to have it taken away in the last minute of play. But you have to give the Giants full credit...they really whipped the Patriots in virtually every phase of the game. A great Super Bowl. Hope everyone enjoyed the majesty of the game.

I dreamt that the Patriots lost.

Nope, according to the prophetic film, "I Am Legend", the Pats beat the Giants 23-7. Look at the news feed at the bottom of the screenshot,

May very well be prophetic. We'll have to wait til 2012 to know for sure, since that's when the movie takes place. :o

Edited by dekestone

The Best Team Won

By way of introduction of my comments, I will tell you that I turned off the

TV just as Bill Belichick stepped onto the field to congratulate Tom

Coughlin. I went upstairs to just lie down, and let the emotion ebb. That

was at about 10:15 AM here, I think. I came back downstairs, after a few

short naps, and a lot of bad memories, at about 6:00 PM. I read the handful

of comments in my email inbox, and turned of the laptop at about 8:00 PM. I

have not yet read any of the notes that arrived in my inbox after that time,

nor have I visited any websites. I relate all of that to set up the fact

that what I am about to say is relatively uninfluenced by comments from

anybody else, professional or personal. So, here are my thoughts about Super

Bowl XLII.

As stated in the title, my opinion is that the best team won. As I did in

February of 2001, I define the best team as the one that brings its' 'A'

game to the field, and puts out physical, emotional, and mental effort that

exceeds that of its' opponent. The Giants did that in Super Bowl XLII. The

Patriots did not.

You'll notice that I didn't mention scoring. I do, in fact, believe that the

best team on a given day can lose a game due to circumstances beyond its'

control; such as crazy weather conditions, lop-sided officiating, or,

literally, an unlucky bounce of the ball at a game-deciding moment. None of

those things happened in Super Bowl XLII. The Giants simply outcoached and

outplayed the Patriots, and fully deserve congratulations, and the honor of

taking home the Lombardi Trophy.

As for the Patriots, I can not, in good conscience, apply any term other

than "choke" to their performance in the game. There is simply no way, IMO,

that the Patriots 'A' game on offense could be held to 14 points by any

defense in this particular NFL season. I believe that they were unable to

handle the pressure the "historic potential" in the game. They played

tentatively, afraid to make errors, in some cases, and playing out of

control in others. I'm not a psychologist, and others may have different

opinions about that. Just for the record, that's mine.

The offensive line was simply overwhelmed. This is the same offensive line

that had been able to limit opponents to 12 sacks of their QB through 18

previous games. They surrendered 5 to the fired up Giants defense in this

one game.

Tom Brady succumbed to that pressure from the Giants, and failed to fire his

passes with the accuracy that was necessary to beat the tight coverage the

Giants secondary applied throughout the game. Nearly all of his incomplete

passes were due to poor location, not drops by his receivers, or great plays

by the defenders.

The defense, in a reversal of the pattern we had seen in most games this

season, played superbly for 3 quarters, and failed to make big plays when it

mattered most, in the 4th Quarter, as they allowed the Giants to overcome

4-point deficits twice, with long drives, and earn the victory.

The final Patriots possession was a microcosm of the entire game. The

Patriots took the kickoff, trailing by just 3 points, and were unable to

open a lane for a big return against the fired up Giants. They were stopped

at their 24 yard line, which would have left them with a need to gain about

45 yards to have any shot at a game-tying FG. However, they also committed a

holding penalty on the play, moving them back to their 11 yard line, and a

need for about 60 yards to try a FG. Brady then proceeded to throw a series

of hopelessly desperate passes, into double coverage, rather than seeking 3

or 4 intermediate yardage completions, with a couple of their 3 times out

called when needed, and move the team into FG position. It was panic, and

desperation; rather than the calculating precision that had been the

trademark of this team all season. Coaches and players choked in this

series, just as they had throughout most of the game.

It was a game that was not decided by one outstanding play in a critical

situation by the Giants; or by one glaring error in a critical situation by

the Patriots. (Although CB Ellis Hobbs did clearly establish the accuracy of

the label on him as the Patriots weak link on defense.) The game was decided

by consistently better play, in every way you can define it, by the Giants;

and consistently poor play, relative to their proven ability, by the

Patriots.

I am deeply disappointed; angered, and, as a very vocal and demonstrative

fan, embarrassed, by the performance of the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

They choked. There is nothing more of any consequence that I can say.

George

The Best Team Won

By way of introduction of my comments, I will tell you that I turned off the

TV just as Bill Belichick stepped onto the field to congratulate Tom

Coughlin. I went upstairs to just lie down, and let the emotion ebb. That

was at about 10:15 AM here, I think. I came back downstairs, after a few

short naps, and a lot of bad memories, at about 6:00 PM. I read the handful

of comments in my email inbox, and turned of the laptop at about 8:00 PM. I

have not yet read any of the notes that arrived in my inbox after that time,

nor have I visited any websites. I relate all of that to set up the fact

that what I am about to say is relatively uninfluenced by comments from

anybody else, professional or personal. So, here are my thoughts about Super

Bowl XLII.

As stated in the title, my opinion is that the best team won. As I did in

February of 2001, I define the best team as the one that brings its' 'A'

game to the field, and puts out physical, emotional, and mental effort that

exceeds that of its' opponent. The Giants did that in Super Bowl XLII. The

Patriots did not.

You'll notice that I didn't mention scoring. I do, in fact, believe that the

best team on a given day can lose a game due to circumstances beyond its'

control; such as crazy weather conditions, lop-sided officiating, or,

literally, an unlucky bounce of the ball at a game-deciding moment. None of

those things happened in Super Bowl XLII. The Giants simply outcoached and

outplayed the Patriots, and fully deserve congratulations, and the honor of

taking home the Lombardi Trophy.

As for the Patriots, I can not, in good conscience, apply any term other

than "choke" to their performance in the game. There is simply no way, IMO,

that the Patriots 'A' game on offense could be held to 14 points by any

defense in this particular NFL season. I believe that they were unable to

handle the pressure the "historic potential" in the game. They played

tentatively, afraid to make errors, in some cases, and playing out of

control in others. I'm not a psychologist, and others may have different

opinions about that. Just for the record, that's mine.

The offensive line was simply overwhelmed. This is the same offensive line

that had been able to limit opponents to 12 sacks of their QB through 18

previous games. They surrendered 5 to the fired up Giants defense in this

one game.

Tom Brady succumbed to that pressure from the Giants, and failed to fire his

passes with the accuracy that was necessary to beat the tight coverage the

Giants secondary applied throughout the game. Nearly all of his incomplete

passes were due to poor location, not drops by his receivers, or great plays

by the defenders.

The defense, in a reversal of the pattern we had seen in most games this

season, played superbly for 3 quarters, and failed to make big plays when it

mattered most, in the 4th Quarter, as they allowed the Giants to overcome

4-point deficits twice, with long drives, and earn the victory.

The final Patriots possession was a microcosm of the entire game. The

Patriots took the kickoff, trailing by just 3 points, and were unable to

open a lane for a big return against the fired up Giants. They were stopped

at their 24 yard line, which would have left them with a need to gain about

45 yards to have any shot at a game-tying FG. However, they also committed a

holding penalty on the play, moving them back to their 11 yard line, and a

need for about 60 yards to try a FG. Brady then proceeded to throw a series

of hopelessly desperate passes, into double coverage, rather than seeking 3

or 4 intermediate yardage completions, with a couple of their 3 times out

called when needed, and move the team into FG position. It was panic, and

desperation; rather than the calculating precision that had been the

trademark of this team all season. Coaches and players choked in this

series, just as they had throughout most of the game.

It was a game that was not decided by one outstanding play in a critical

situation by the Giants; or by one glaring error in a critical situation by

the Patriots. (Although CB Ellis Hobbs did clearly establish the accuracy of

the label on him as the Patriots weak link on defense.) The game was decided

by consistently better play, in every way you can define it, by the Giants;

and consistently poor play, relative to their proven ability, by the

Patriots.

I am deeply disappointed; angered, and, as a very vocal and demonstrative

fan, embarrassed, by the performance of the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII.

They choked. There is nothing more of any consequence that I can say.

George

Geez man, take a breath and take pride in an excellent season and a fine orginization. Giants had a charmed game. Hats off!

I grew up a Raiders fan. How do you think I've been feeling the last few years. Bring on the draft, camp and the next season!!!!