Lifan Gy200 A5

Jonny B

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not interested in a motocross bike per se, but am I correct that a motard-style bike is a motocross bike with street tires?

If so, and nice wide road tires are available, then voila!, instant 200cc motard for under 50k! That I am interested in. Great for the less than perfect roads around town with the long suspension travel. :)

Please keep us up to date with your impressions.

Lifan has a 250 motard that has set foot in the LOS. Maybe Richard can fill us in on the latest.

2_lifan_lf250gy-7-02-1.jpg

Yep, it's a warehouse I know very well and the Lifan LF250GY-7 did not so long ago passed emission testing. I'm absolute not involved with Lifan Thailand, but if I look back... I will estimate that in 3 to 4 months the 250cc will come available (as I'm known to calculate often to positive you maybe want to add a month or two).

Price will roughly be twice the price of the LF200GY-5, maybe even a bit less... The major price difference is in the 3rd party parts used, for example the Up-side-down FOX suspension fully adjustable front and rear (I was told that the suspension supplier can change, as talks are in full swing – so maybe it becomes Showa), liquid-cooling, real tires...

Anyway its amazing that the picture is already nearly10 months old, hardly touched it...

Hi Richard

Any news on the Lifan LF 400 cruiser?

But if I put a 17" on the front won't that affect the angle of the bike, would it be awkward to drive?

My thoughts exactly, but then I have been told many times that I know nothing. :D

Well, I waited to see if anyone with experience would answer but will throw in my 2 satang...

Look at the pictures above of the 250 Lifan motard...

Do you think they and all the other brands offering motard-syle bikes would do so if if it screwed up the handling? Common sense will give you the answer to your question.

I just thought you would have to extend the forks to compensate for the smaller wheel size, otherwise wouldn't the handle bars be a few inches lower. Surely, your position on the bike would be different. As to handling, I leave that to the experts.

But if I put a 17" on the front won't that affect the angle of the bike, would it be awkward to drive?

My thoughts exactly, but then I have been told many times that I know nothing. :D

Well, I waited to see if anyone with experience would answer but will throw in my 2 satang...

Look at the pictures above of the 250 Lifan motard...

Do you think they and all the other brands offering motard-syle bikes would do so if if it screwed up the handling? Common sense will give you the answer to your question.

I just thought you would have to extend the forks to compensate for the smaller wheel size, otherwise wouldn't the handle bars be a few inches lower. Surely, your position on the bike would be different. As to handling, I leave that to the experts.

Handlebars will be lower by 2''.

Inverted forks, anyone?

Start changing forks etc, and it's no longer a cheap conversion. I hope/figure two wheels and sport-bike tires could be done for 5+k or so.

No need to look for race-ready. Just an inexpensive change-over from dual-sport to motard. It's already street-legal.

The Honda CRF230m (223cc) sell for just under $5800US so Bt. 174,000. Kawasaki's dual-sport 250 is around 130-140k or so, I'm not sure.

This Lifan 200 at 50+k converted looks pretty good. :)

I like that!

Would fit right in here in Pattaya...:)

What size engine?

At first I thought it was a modified 250cc LF250 because of the pipe configuration, which they call a Phoenix 250 in the states, but now looking at it I can't tell if it's a 250 or the LF400, called King 400 in the states. Either way it's heavily modified. Think that price I gave of 3099 is the price of a stock LF250 in the states. Not sure as the website is vague. Maybe it's the Royal 250 V-twin? You can check for yourself.

http://www.americanlifan.com

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I'm not interested in a motocross bike per se, but am I correct that a motard-style bike is a motocross bike with street tires?

If so, and nice wide road tires are available, then voila!, instant 200cc motard for under 50k! That I am interested in. Great for the less than perfect roads around town with the long suspension travel. :)

Please keep us up to date with your impressions.

Lifan has a 250 motard that has set foot in the LOS. Maybe Richard can fill us in on the latest.

Yep, it's a warehouse I know very well and the Lifan LF250GY-7 did not so long ago passed emission testing. I'm absolute not involved with Lifan Thailand, but if I look back... I will estimate that in 3 to 4 months the 250cc will come available (as I'm known to calculate often to positive you maybe want to add a month or two).

Price will roughly be twice the price of the LF200GY-5, maybe even a bit less... The major price difference is in the 3rd party parts used, for example the Up-side-down FOX suspension fully adjustable front and rear (I was told that the suspension supplier can change, as talks are in full swing – so maybe it becomes Showa), liquid-cooling, real tires...

Anyway its amazing that the picture is already nearly10 months old, hardly touched it...

More pics of the prototype LF250 GY-7. (Saturn Storm)

DealerExpo10-103.jpg

DealerExpo10-102.jpg

DealerExpo10-099.jpg

DealerExpo10-101.jpg

DealerExpo10-096.jpg

DealerExpo10-098.jpg

"Lifan has been a long time player in the North American market and had to survive a somewhat turbulent past. Despite earlier problems with unauthorized distribution and a sagging market, Lifan hasn't given up just yet. Those following the Lifan line of enduro bikes will be interested to hear about Lifan's new prototype 250 GY-7.

Lifan's 250 GY-7, currently named the 250 "Saturn Storm" brings us many of the same feature of the GY-5 but with a water-cooled 17hp mill and a host of other upgrades. To be clear, the model depicted at the show and in these photographs is pre-production and will likely have some slight variations in color or equipment. While bike is currently awaiting final EPA certification, they hope to have the Lifan GY-7 available for sale by the end of Spring/Summer 2010. We'll definitely be watching out for more updates to this model."

Source: MyChinaMoto.com

With small engine motorcycles, or even the bigger once, when manufacturers talk about horsepower you have to wonder where did the figures were taken... a 30 horsepower on the crank will on a enduro/Motard style bike be about 17 to 18 horses in the rear wheel... (very dependable on the final drive – front and rear sprocket selection).

The standard Lifan LF250GY-7 has, has superior front and rear suspension compared to the Kawasaki D-Tracker many of the semi-professional D-Tracker riders added a specialized Fox “Motard” suspension (which is standard on the Lifan LF250GY-7).

Many of the riders of the Kawasaki D-Tracker replace the tires before they needed, as the tires are “no good”... The Lifan LF250GY-7 comes with tires from a well known European tire manufacturer which offers an excellent stick too the road.... (downside, tires are needed to replaced in 2,500 miles – in-line with the tire manufacturers predicted life).

The Kawasaki KLX-250/D-Tracker 250 comes fitted with a unknown chain manufacturer, the Lifan LF 250GY-7 comes with a patent DID X-ring Gold chain...

Standard Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 vs standard Lifan LF250GY-7... hahaha who wants to bet on it...

As we are visiting Chachoensao in a week or so I ask the dealer in Chonburi if they had any of the 200's in stock. At first they denied all knowledge of the bike! :huh:

Then said they had none in stock.

Asking the price I was met with 40, maybe 50 k bht.

Hardly confidence inspiring but sadly the norm in my experience of dealerships over here.

Does anyone know where I can view the Lifan 200 GY in Bangkok? Failing that I am in Chiang at the end of February and will hopefully be able to check one out there.

As we are visiting Chachoensao in a week or so I ask the dealer in Chonburi if they had any of the 200's in stock. At first they denied all knowledge of the bike! :huh:

Hardly confidence inspiring but sadly the norm in my experience of dealerships over here.

Does anyone know where I can view the Lifan 200 GY in Bangkok? Failing that I am in Chiang at the end of February and will hopefully be able to check one out there.

I sent you a PM with shop info from Chiang Mai

I sent you a PM with shop info from Chiang Mai

Thanks very much for the info.

Ed

I thought I would post my observations so far on the Lifan 200 Cross.

I haven't had a lot of riding time (still under 700 kilometers) I am only on my third tank of gas. Just enough to have some insight I guess.

I still really like the bike. I like the high riding position, and I like the torque. I think it looks great as well. It Takes the big bumps well and it is very happy off road. But it is not complete perfection either.

On my list of of negatives, the hardness of the seat is number one. Although I am getting used to it, there is really not much thought for comfort. I will be modifying the seat some day, adding better or more padding. Another small thing; the kick starter sticks out a little too far and you can feel it touching your calf muscle. It isn't uncomfortable, but you wish it wasn't there. This too can be modified. The kick stand is just a bit too long, so the bikes stands very erect, this is fine on level surface, but when you park you can't do it on an uphill slope or if your tire is lower than the stand. I will eventually get it shortened about half an inch.

Outside of those three minor things I don't have any complaints about the bike. In fact it is performing above my expectations.

On fuel economy, I am getting about 1.2 baht per kilometer which comes to about 30km per liter. The second tankful was more efficient than the first so it might improve more, Also I have done a lot of kilometers with a passenger, so I am sure the fuel efficiency is actually better than what I am currently getting. I discovered that the bike runs better on Caltex 95 gasohol than it did on PTT. I am saying this because the engine seemed smoother since I put that in. I guess this bike is octane sensitive.

Top speed, I am not sure, I will find out after 1000 kms, I don't think it will be much beyond 110, I am guessing 115.

I took it up Doi Suttep today, to compare with how my CBR 150 did there. The result was much less shifting required, but the moderate knobby tires do not have the same grip as the CBR, no surprise there. Nonetheless it was an enjoyable ride. The bike is a strong climber.

I will post more comments another day, I hope other Lifan riders chime in with their thoughts.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, the bike is still doing just fine, I did have an issue of a slight oil leak near the top of the engine head, I took it in and they changed an O ring and now it seems to have stopped.

I haven't seen any other 200's around town but there are lots for sale now.

I guess I have the only one.

Just an update, the bike is still doing just fine, I did have an issue of a slight oil leak near the top of the engine head, I took it in and they changed an O ring and now it seems to have stopped.

I haven't seen any other 200's around town but there are lots for sale now.

I guess I have the only one.

Thanks for the update, how many km's have you done to date? About 2 month you have it now, right?

mbox

• 4 weeks later...

I know most posts have been on the 200, which I dam_n near bought, but left with the 250B from Chiang Mai dealer. First run was back home to Chiang Rai which was a good opportunity to feel the 250 out. Handles well and took 200 bht in fuel for the trip. Is a good looking bike and feels like a cruiser in the handling. It is an exact copy of the Yam Virgo 250 with that wierd exhaust thing Yamaha did with the back pipe. I have always had a soft spot for dirt and do miss not having the 200, but at this price, 78,000, I can buy both and still have gas money. 2 up appears no different (wife is only 46k) and lots of power to weight. No HD sound but is different from most bikes here. Doesn't do city like the wifes 110 Yam scooter, but still can move around traffic in CR. There are no options available from Lifa such as carry alls so have after market saddle Bags. A rack for the back would be nice so can put a hard carry for ease of access but such is life. Have run it around north east thai and 1000+ K and no issues. If it keeps up, Lifan will have a good hold in the local market if the price doesn't change.

With small engine motorcycles, or even the bigger once, when manufacturers talk about horsepower you have to wonder where did the figures were taken... a 30 horsepower on the crank will on a enduro/Motard style bike be about 17 to 18 horses in the rear wheel... (very dependable on the final drive – front and rear sprocket selection).

The standard Lifan LF250GY-7 has, has superior front and rear suspension compared to the Kawasaki D-Tracker many of the semi-professional D-Tracker riders added a specialized Fox "Motard" suspension (which is standard on the Lifan LF250GY-7).

Many of the riders of the Kawasaki D-Tracker replace the tires before they needed, as the tires are "no good"... The Lifan LF250GY-7 comes with tires from a well known European tire manufacturer which offers an excellent stick too the road.... (downside, tires are needed to replaced in 2,500 miles – in-line with the tire manufacturers predicted life).

The Kawasaki KLX-250/D-Tracker 250 comes fitted with a unknown chain manufacturer, the Lifan LF 250GY-7 comes with a patent DID X-ring Gold chain...

Standard Kawasaki D-Tracker 250 vs standard Lifan LF250GY-7... hahaha who wants to bet on it...

I'll bet on it - Cheap Chinese Bike, imported in boxes and 'built' by Thais in a warehouse vs Japanese spec/owned Factory turning out reputable bikes from a renowned platform for both local and world market.

The Chinese bike has a brand name chain on it, wow - what about the rest of it?

The standard Lifan LF250GY-7 has, has superior front and rear suspension compared to the Kawasaki D-Tracker many of the semi-professional D-Tracker riders added a specialized Fox "Motard" suspension (which is standard on the Lifan LF250GY-7).

Many of the riders of the Kawasaki D-Tracker replace the tires before they needed, as the tires are "no good"... The Lifan LF250GY-7 comes with tires from a well known European tire manufacturer which offers an excellent stick too the road.... (downside, tires are needed to replaced in 2,500 miles – in-line with the tire manufacturers predicted life).

I'll bet on it - Cheap Chinese Bike, imported in boxes and 'built' by Thais in a warehouse vs Japanese spec/owned Factory turning out reputable bikes from a renowned platform for both local and world market.

Its a shame how people dont read the post then reply negatively when they dont understand it. Standard fear of the unknown.

So far we have low "mileage" (sounds better than kilometreage) with few problems except dealer support which is norm for the

region and expected for the price range

Still sounds like a good buy for the money and personally I will keep abreast of the reliability postings in

anticipation of maybe purchasing one in the future to replace my quote: "Japanese spec/owned Factory turning out reputable bikes".

NOTE: Not the big bike Mac - just the Honda 250. As a side note my big bike retails in the region of 50 times more than the Lifan and

had one warranty job in less than 3000km. But great dealer service.

Like we say if you actually live here and you dont like Thailand, leave. If you dont like a product and dont have personal

first hand knowledge, dont knock it till you try it. In the meantime genuinely interested people can enjoy factual information that may

influence them with a decision/purchase.

Its a shame how people dont read the post then reply negatively when they dont understand it. Standard fear of the unknown.

So far we have low "mileage" (sounds better than kilometreage) with few problems except dealer support which is norm for the

Still sounds like a good buy for the money and personally I will keep abreast of the reliability postings in

anticipation of maybe purchasing one in the future to replace my quote: "Japanese spec/owned Factory turning out reputable bikes".

NOTE: Not the big bike Mac - just the Honda 250. As a side note my big bike retails in the region of 50 times more than the Lifan and

Like we say if you actually live here and you dont like Thailand, leave. If you dont like a product and dont have personal

first hand knowledge, dont knock it till you try it. In the meantime genuinely interested people can enjoy factual information that may

It's a shame people make so many assumptions, don't actually look very deeply into things and then make comments they think make them sound knowledgeable.

You will find there are unhappy owners here in Thailand, on one of the (pro lifan) websites I visit they are getting so many that they've said they won't let anyone post anything negative about Lifan unless they supply their VIN number - I've never heard anything like that - Either the site is protecting their own (vested?) interest or there are so many complaints they can't keep track of them, either way it doesn't bode well.

I'm all for bargains, but people with vested interests saying that a 48,000 baht Chinese bike is better than a 152,000 baht bike from one of the big names?

FYI - I actually wanted to see one of these, I contacted Lifan (which was pretty hard in itself) and they said they don't have a single Phuket dealer and would I like to become their Phuket dealer?

It's a shame people make so many assumptions, don't actually look very deeply into things and then make comments they think make them sound knowledgeable.

You will find there are unhappy owners here in Thailand, on one of the (pro lifan) websites I visit they are getting so many that they've said they won't let anyone post anything negative about Lifan unless they supply their VIN number - I've never heard anything like that - Either the site is protecting their own (vested?) interest or there are so many complaints they can't keep track of them, either way it doesn't bode well.

I'm all for bargains, but people with vested interests saying that a 48,000 baht Chinese bike is better than a 152,000 baht bike from one of the big names?

FYI - I actually wanted to see one of these, I contacted Lifan (which was pretty hard in itself) and they said they don't have a single Phuket dealer and would I like to become their Phuket dealer?

OMG< are you telling your own story??????????????

If the shoe fits wear it.

Buying a LiFan is no different than what we see with all the chopper owner wannabees who want to be seen on what looks like a chopper

but are not prepared to spend the money for a HD or similar. That is their choice

The forum is here to help us identify if the LiFan is a possible and more affordable alternative

to your quoted Jap super made bike at triple the cost and upwards.

BTW as an expert can you tell us what the MTBF of LiFan vs triple and higher price alternatives are and how it compares!

At the cost why would you expect an expensive marketing campaign and 100s of operators sitting around waiting for

you to regale them with negative queries. Time and money will tell. There are unhappy owners of everything imaginable but they

have one thing you dont: They own something and have first hand knowledge of the product.

I dont have a LiFan but do have a HD & a Honda trail. I personally know LiFan owners whose main complaint seems to be dealer support.

As I expect to get what I pay for it is a lesser negative than other things which I hope LiFan owners will tell us about.

Since the issue of the manufacturer has been raised, let me add a note about my 250B Lifan.

First, I know Lifan is not a household name and that it is a Chinese company. But it is important before saying "Chinese" in that tone that means "cheap and unreliable" that China, mostly, builds the word's "name" computers. Lifan built for Yamaha, and apparently had transferred some patent rights from the Yamaha 250.

Second, Lifan is a huge concern, an engine building champion, that has entered Western markets for some time. Rather than complaints about their bikes' quality, one usually reads in reviews complaints about the lack of speed of some bikes - which might or might not be related to that nation's strict speed laws (100). My own bike is built to improve middle range performance and provide cruiser-comfort, not to race.

Anyway, my bike arrived with one (minor) problem that might have resulted from shipping, not evident early on, and quickly fixed by the dealer. It has behaved as well, so far, as one would expect of the best Japanese bikes. I insist that just as Japanese products were initially disappointing but then they came to be the mass production leaders of the world of quality vehicles, China will show growing pains followed by competitive vehicles, in terms of quality, at better prices.

Certainly, purchasing a Chinese bike is a gamble, in that we have not a large experience of these bikes in the West - or Thailand. But lumping together all Chinese products and dismissing them is nonsensical. Ever hear of Lenovo?

Since the issue of the manufacturer has been raised, let me add a note about my 250B Lifan.

First, I know Lifan is not a household name and that it is a Chinese company. But it is important before saying "Chinese" in that tone that means "cheap and unreliable" that China, mostly, builds the word's "name" computers. Lifan built for Yamaha, and apparently had transferred some patent rights from the Yamaha 250.

Second, Lifan is a huge concern, an engine building champion, that has entered Western markets for some time. Rather than complaints about their bikes' quality, one usually reads in reviews complaints about the lack of speed of some bikes - which might or might not be related to that nation's strict speed laws (100). My own bike is built to improve middle range performance and provide cruiser-comfort, not to race.

Anyway, my bike arrived with one (minor) problem that might have resulted from shipping, not evident early on, and quickly fixed by the dealer. It has behaved as well, so far, as one would expect of the best Japanese bikes. I insist that just as Japanese products were initially disappointing but then they came to be the mass production leaders of the world of quality vehicles, China will show growing pains followed by competitive vehicles, in terms of quality, at better prices.

Certainly, purchasing a Chinese bike is a gamble, in that we have not a large experience of these bikes in the West - or Thailand. But lumping together all Chinese products and dismissing them is nonsensical. Ever hear of Lenovo?

Good to hear. Qualitative comments from an owner.

Disagree about 100 km/h strict speed laws. 180+ on the Beijing ring roads was normal when I lived there

Hated Lenovo. We used to give them away for free as an incentive and we were hated for it.