Annual Extensions Of Stay

Would have to agree that the banking rules/processes in Thailand are pretty tight, possibly too tight. But this does seem to result in a high level of security. And this is not to imply the rules are that "customer friendly/protective" when money does goes missing like through an apparent fraudulent/electronic transaction. But in reading many TV posts regarding someone losing money in their bank account, it almost always seems many details are missing in the person's story or the person-shot-themselves-in-their-own-foot by not safeguarding account/card/PIN info, etc. My sense is the amount of fraudulent transactions is very low...on par with western nations. Yes, I know we frequently see on the Thai evening news some ATM crook(s) being put on parade, but Thai news just loves to show stuff like that...heck, if western news shows focused on bank account rips-off we would never see any other news. Just IMHO.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You can also just set up a passbook savings account with NO authorized ATM cards at any bank in Thailand... the 'ghost 'would then need to be you with your passbook and passport for withdrawals.

Yes, this is the way to go... smart thinking..!

I have 4 Thai bank accounts, one is a fixed term deposit account in which lives my 800k Baht to satisfy immigration. This in fact has now grown to 850K as I just leave the interest in it.

Of the other three one is the one I use to transfer money from the UK, using Moneybookers it cost me 3 GBP to transfer 500GBP. This is also the account that pays all my standing orders directly.

The other two accounts I just keep a few thousand bahts in each, Each has an ATM card, one lives in my wallet, the other in my partner's purse. Thus if either of these last two cards go " missing", the most I stand to lose is 2 or 3 KBaht.

My bank manager knows me well and even if someone managed to get hold of my passbooks or deposit books and my passport, they would be unable to use them at my bank.

I trust my banks both in England and Thailand but find the Thai one more friendly and efficient.

I also haven't had any problems with thieving withdrawals. However, I do think it is more widespread here than in western countries, though that doesn't mean it is common either. In case of immigration accepting a bank account going under 800K for ANY reason for a retirement extension based on that, I reckon they would NOT approve such applications.

In my direct experience the individual officer has a certain amount of leeway to take extenuating circumstances into account. If you establish some personal rapport with them and they have empathy for your situation they can (and do) make exceptions, especially if doing so is for the greater good (ie the benefit of Thailand).

This of course includes - but is not limited to - financial considerations.

I wouldn't count on it. The 800K baht method is very concrete. It's not 799,999, it's 800K. Rapport with your officer? That's a rich one in my experience.

You can also just set up a passbook savings account with NO authorized ATM cards at any bank in Thailand... the 'ghost 'would then need to be you with your passbook and passport for withdrawals.

Exactly.

Works for me but then I have never had any phantom withdrawals from any of my ATM accounts in the last 7 years either . Before that I was like anumber of posters and did not trust the Thai system now I am the exact opposite. I trust it more than most other countries.

Even if you explain that the Bank is at fault,Immigration officers often deliberately try to find small insignificant flaws in applications in order to reject them.

My friend presented his Bank book with well over 1 million baht for three months but the amount shown on the letter from the bank was not exactly the same as the amount shown in his bank book. The difference was about Bt4. The bank had made a very small mistake. He was told to go back to the bank and get a new letter. His bank was 2 hours drive from the Immigration Office!! The Immigration Office was in Singkon.

Even if you explain that the Bank is at fault,Immigration officers often deliberately try to find small insignificant flaws in applications in order to reject them.

My friend presented his Bank book with well over 1 million baht for three months but the amount shown on the letter from the bank was not exactly the same as the amount shown in his bank book. The difference was about Bt4. The bank had made a very small mistake. He was told to go back to the bank and get a new letter. His bank was 2 hours drive from the Immigration Office!! The Immigration Office was in Singkon.

That is exactly the behavior I would EXPECT from immigration officers. The figures MUST match exactly.

Don't know if this Bangkok Bank link regarding Transfer of funds from the UK to Thailand might be helpful. Cheers.

http://www.bangkokba...0from%20UK.aspx

Many thanks, Pib. Very useful.

A friend of mine Died 3 Years ago and I used Bangkok Bank in London to transfer his remaining company pension to his Widows Bangkok Bank account,a very helpful chap called Michael set it all up.

I was very impressed with the service and no problems with the monthly payment,the cost was a choice between 15 pounds or 1000Baht(i choose 15 pound),this was the only way to transfer as our company pension policy is to pay into an UK Bank account only(they can tell by the sort number).

Regards

Didn't see anything about the "push only" only option

Pib, one of the questions USAA asks when setting up a tranfer account is, "Do you have signature authority" over the account you're setting up, i.e., if not, then you "only can make deposits." If you do this, no trial deposits are made (for obvious reasons, since it's assumed you won't have the authority to identify these deposits). This option is what you should choose when setting up a transfer to Bangkok Bank.

I was curious as to what would happen if I hadn't chosen that option, so I set up another transfer to another BB account, but this time choosing "Yes, I have signature control over this account." Sure enough, two trial deposits showed up in my BB account -- and I also got a message from USAA to the effect: "BB has notified us that this account is deposit-only. Therefore, we are setting this up as transfer-out only." (Not exact wording, but same meaning.) Never had to report the trial deposit amounts, of course, as part of the security in setting up the transfer. Also, I don't believe the trial deposits were ever reversed, probably because things aren't supposed to flow backwards from Thailand thru ACH. And, no minimum 200bt fee for each of those tiny trial deposits (something in the coding probably).

This must now be the canned reply to your US bank when BB sees two trial deposits arriving from its New York branch (at one time, years ago, I recall folks actually reporting these trial deposits to their US bank). Surely problematic if your bank doesn't have the option to set-up 'transfer out only' with BB. But, maybe all banks/financial institutions have this option -- I don't know (?).

Didn't see anything about the "push only" only option

Pib, one of the questions USAA asks when setting up a tranfer account is, "Do you have signature authority" over the account you're setting up, i.e., if not, then you "only can make deposits." If you do this, no trial deposits are made (for obvious reasons, since it's assumed you won't have the authority to identify these deposits). This option is what you should choose when setting up a transfer to Bangkok Bank.

I was curious as to what would happen if I hadn't chosen that option, so I set up another transfer to another BB account, but this time choosing "Yes, I have signature control over this account." Sure enough, two trial deposits showed up in my BB account -- and I also got a message from USAA to the effect: "BB has notified us that this account is deposit-only. Therefore, we are setting this up as transfer-out only." (Not exact wording, but same meaning.) Never had to report the trial deposit amounts, of course, as part of the security in setting up the transfer. Also, I don't believe the trial deposits were ever reversed, probably because things aren't supposed to flow backwards from Thailand thru ACH. And, no minimum 200bt fee for each of those tiny trial deposits (something in the coding probably).

This must now be the canned reply to your US bank when BB sees two trial deposits arriving from its New York branch (at one time, years ago, I recall folks actually reporting these trial deposits to their US bank). Surely problematic if your bank doesn't have the option to set-up 'transfer out only' with BB. But, maybe all banks/financial institutions have this option -- I don't know (?).

Jim, great info and many thanks. One question. Wife and I will be moving for good next summer to Udon to live. Can I open the BB account now, on our Christmas visit, or do I have to wait until we settle down in LOS for good?

I've linked several U.S. accounts, other than USAA, to BKK Bank in New York for ACH transfer in the past year or two.

In each case, I didn't have any choice online as to the manner of the link. In each case, it resulted in my U.S. bank sending trial deposits to BKK Bank New York, which then were automatically forwarded on to my Thailand BKK Bank account. By calling BKK Bank's service center, you can obtain the U.S. $ amounts that arrived prior to the bank converting them to baht. And then use those U.S. $ amounts to confirm the trial deposit amounts with your home bank.

In each case subsequent to setting up those links, I've done at least one U.S. to Thailand ACH to be sure the links worked and indeed they did, without any problem.

I've never yet tried doing a reverse ACH initiated from one of their U.S. banks to see if they could pull funds from my BKK Bank account via ACH.... I suspect that wouldn't work regardless.... But, that's only speculation, since I haven't tested it.

In each case, I didn't have any choice online as to the manner of the link. In each case, it resulted in my U.S. bank sending trial deposits to BKK Bank New York, which then were automatically forwarded on to my Thailand BKK Bank account.

JFC, I found an old thread with more on this. Here's the thread: ACH Transfers

This repeats much of what I've said, above. But, I did find the exact quote USAA sent me:

Unfortunately, your financial institution [bangkok Bank] notified us that this is a credits-only account -- withdrawals aren't allowed. Based on this information, we've added this account to your funds transfer list for deposits only. Please contact your financial institution if you have questions about the account.

I dunno. Maybe they couldn't do a correct match on the names... Anyway, USAA will not send trial deposits, if after the question about "Do you have signatory control?", you check the box next to "No, I will only be making deposits to this account."

Out of curiosity -- were the trial deposits refunded to your stateside account? (They usually are when trial deposits take place within the US, at least in my experience. However, this ACH-to-Thailand thingy has a few more complications when reversed...)

When I setup funds transfers with BofA to BKB and other US banks trial deposits were done and none of the deposits reversed to the best of my knowledge and I definitely watch very closely any money flowing out of my account. Also, no fees by either the sending or receiving banks. Nice way to make a few pennies/baht (grin). But the banks quickly make that back from you in getting your business/deposits/credit or debit card purchases/selling other products/etc. When setting up my PayPal to BKB funds transfer link PayPal did the trial deposits and they were not reversed either.

Regarding JimGant's USAA experience in setting-up the USAA to BKB transfer (thanks for this feedback), I should know in a few days if I get the same response from USAA. If the transfer ends up getting validated/finalized for deposits only, that is fine. We all know how Thai banks don't like money to flow "out" of Thailand unless you do it a certain way with an associated kilogram of paperwork. And I've never tried to transfer money from BKK to my stateside accounts, not even using PayPal, because of the numerous posts which said "it didn't work"..."the bank said the transaction had been reject/failed"...etc. Yeap, Thai banks want to keep your baht in Thailand.

Edited by Pib

Jim, I wasn't disputing your experience with USAA.... and I don't do banking with them anyway... I was only commenting on my experience with other banks, including BofA, as Pib noted above, where I didn't get that kind of link without trial deposits option.

Re the trial deposits, I hadn't really thought about it before... But now that you ask, I don't recall either of the couple of trial deposits I've had done into my BKK Bank account ever getting reversed back to the U.S. originating ones.

In each case, I didn't have any choice online as to the manner of the link. In each case, it resulted in my U.S. bank sending trial deposits to BKK Bank New York, which then were automatically forwarded on to my Thailand BKK Bank account.

This repeats much of what I've said, above. But, I did find the exact quote USAA sent me:

Unfortunately, your financial institution [bangkok Bank] notified us that this is a credits-only account -- withdrawals aren't allowed. Based on this information, we've added this account to your funds transfer list for deposits only. Please contact your financial institution if you have questions about the account.

I dunno. Maybe they couldn't do a correct match on the names... Anyway, USAA will not send trial deposits, if after the question about "Do you have signatory control?", you check the box next to "No, I will only be making deposits to this account."

Out of curiosity -- were the trial deposits refunded to your stateside account? (They usually are when trial deposits take place within the US, at least in my experience. However, this ACH-to-Thailand thingy has a few more complications when reversed...)

I can already see how this is probably going to work out which is like you mention above. Two Trial Credits for XX cents have already hit one of my BofA accounts along with one accompanying Trial Debit pulling back the total amount of the two credits. First time I've experienced that in setting up transfers between various banks; before it was just credits to the best of my knowledge. Now if they sent a debit days/weeks later to pull back the credits I could have possibly missed that, but a debit definitely didn't arrive at the same time as the credits.

Now, what I expect will happen when the two Trial Credits with the accompanying Trial Debit hit Bangkok Bank that the bank will accept the credits (deposits) but refuse the accompanying debit (withdrawal). Then I'll get that notice from USAA that they can only setup a the transfer link up as a credits/deposits only. This will still be fine.

One question. Wife and I will be moving for good next summer to Udon to live. Can I open the BB account now, on our Christmas visit, or do I have to wait until we settle down in LOS for good?

Trace, Bkk Bank used to be one of the harder banks to open an account without a work permit or certificate of residence. However, by reading this on their website, it sounds like it's gotten easier, even if just on a tourist visa:

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below.)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

Further info is found on their website, here : Bangkok Bank

Letter of reference looks a little hokey. Maybe somebody who's gone this route can better elaborate. Also, the bank manager/bank local rules can drive you crazy, with their ability to make things harder than advertised -- or easier. Crap shoot.

Unfortunately, it's harder to get internet banking before you're fully established. And ibanking is a pretty significant aid, especially if you're monitoring things stateside prior to transition.

One option: have the wife set up her account, and ibanking, and funnel everything thru this account. We built our house, bought most our assets, using just the wife's Bkk Bank acct. Finally, I got around to opening a joint account with her, showing nothing but my passport. Signed up for ibanking at the same time, with no problems.

Good luck.

Internet banking may be nice but it is not a requirement by any means. I have never set it up as only use account to hold money until taking out from ATM. The infrequent transfers I do at an ATM. If I need account information can use phone system to obtain most by computer response from anywhere in the world.

I can already see how this is probably going to work out which is like you mention above. Two Trial Credits for XX cents have already hit one of my BofA accounts along with one accompanying Trial Debit pulling back the total amount of the two credits. First time I've experienced that in setting up transfers between various banks; before it was just credits to the best of my knowledge. Now if they sent a debit days/weeks later to pull back the credits I could have possibly missed that, but a debit definitely didn't arrive at the same time as the credits.

Now, what I expect will happen when the two Trial Credits with the accompanying Trial Debit hit Bangkok Bank that the bank will accept the credits (deposits) but refuse the accompanying debit (withdrawal). Then I'll get that notice from USAA that they can only setup a the transfer link up as a credits/deposits only. This will still be fine.

Well, all the USAA funds transfers links have been setup, to other stateside banks and to Bangkok Bank. But as mentioned above, only two trialcredits (deposits) showed up on my Bangkok Bank account with no accompanying debit to pull back the sum of the two credits. Got my Bangkok Bank SMS notice and I see the deposits via internet banking also. I expect Bangkok Bank refused the debit action and that is why it not showing up. Entered the deposit amounts with USAA to complete the activation/validation process and the transfer link fully activated. That is, the Transfer Capability states "To/From" just like the other activated stateside bank links. However, but, I don't plan to attempt any withdrawals from my Bangkok Bank account, as I just know it would probably reject due to BOT transfer restrictions/rules. I may get some email from USAA over the coming hours/days that they couldn't process the debit and I can only to deposit transfer to Bangkok Bank, but as mentioned earlier that is fine. So, it looks like I'm good to go with USAA now. Thanks.

Entered the deposit amounts with USAA to complete the activation/validation process and the transfer link fully activated. That is, the Transfer Capability states "To/From" just like the other activated stateside bank links.

Well, that experience, and that of jfc, and others, tells me BB thought, when I tried setting up a "To/From" transfer, that the two accounts were not owned by one in the same.

The transfer set-up was from a USAA joint savings account with the wife -- to one of her individually owned BB savings accounts. Apparently, something got lost between the translation of her name in English at USAA -- and her name in Thai on that end. Or, maybe my name in the equation screwed things up...... Anyway, the account was set-up as "To" only, sounding like it's treated as a "3rd party" account. Have never tried to send money down that pipe, so don't know if you really could have an ACH pipeline to 3rd parties in this manner (3rd parties with BB accounts, anyway). The following from the BB website adds some uncertainty:

In case you want to transfer funds into a third party account, you must use the internet banking service of banks in the United States which allow the remitter to specify the beneficiary’s name. Otherwise, the payment instruction Bangkok Bank receives may not carry the correct beneficiary name and Bangkok Bank will have to return funds to the remitter.

And, I'm not sure why you would really want to -- if you're a current BB account holder. It would be easier, IMO, to set-up all your 3rd parties directly with your BB account. Then, after you ACH to your BB account, forward what's due onward to the 3rd parties (which can include non-BB 3rd parties). Neat and tidy -- and a nice accounting trail. (This using ibanking, although some believe this can be done using the telephone, even from the States....maybe so, but I'm not familiar with this avenue.)

Anyway, Pib, thanks for the feedback.

Oh, I guess there are scenarios where being able to ACH directly to 3rd parties would be nice. For the non-expat Stateside resident, no BB account, and Thai relatives with BB accounts, going this route would be a nice way to save on the SWIFT fee. But, I wonder just how easy that is, based on the website quote, above. Anyone with experience?

Hard telling what happened, but it sure sounds like it could be a name match thing. Our USAA account is a joint account, the wife and I, with both our names are in English. The Bangkok Bank account is also a joint account, the wife and I, with my name first on the account in English with the wife's name second in Thai. Maybe it's worth giving it another try by deleting the current transfer link which is To Only and setting back up the link trying the Deposit/Withdrawal approach again. The worst that could happen is the link is just setup the same way again...but, you may get lucky and it will setup as a To/From account. But as we know, trying to transfer money "from" a Thai bank to an overseas account will probably fail without prior bank approval which usually requires that kilogram of paperwork allowed under one of the few BOT reasons that such an outbound international transfer can occur. Yeap, easy to transfer your money to Thai banks from overseas; hard to transfer your money from Thai banks to overseas. Cheers.

quote name='spidermike007' timestamp='1291523318' post='4067383']

I could not agree more. Despite the normal tendency of many readers to rant on the Thai people, the reality is that the Thai banks are some of the best run banks in the world. There is a reason why they escaped the world banking crisis. Have you ever stopped to ponder that fact? The management is superb, the stock prices are relatively high, the fraud is minimal (despite the occasional scams all banks are subject to), and the security protocols are world class. So where do these conjectures come from? Bashing Thai people and systems may be a hobby some of you guys find to be fun, but there is no objectivity in it, so unless you are willing, and able to back these theories up with some facts, save us your venom. Keep it to yourselves. Suffer on your own. Get a life please.

Would have to agree that the banking rules/processes in Thailand are pretty tight, possibly too tight. But this does seem to result in a high level of security. And this is not to imply the rules are that "customer friendly/protective" when money does goes missing like through an apparent fraudulent/electronic transaction. But in reading many TV posts regarding someone losing money in their bank account, it almost always seems many details are missing in the person's story or the person-shot-themselves-in-their-own-foot by not safeguarding account/card/PIN info, etc. My sense is the amount of fraudulent transactions is very low...on par with western nations. Yes, I know we frequently see on the Thai evening news some ATM crook(s) being put on parade, but Thai news just loves to show stuff like that...heck, if western news shows focused on bank account rips-off we would never see any other news. Just IMHO.

As the OP, allow me to elaborate on what has happened in my case.

Over the past 2 years, I have been the victim of no fewer that 3 phantom withdrawals totalling more than 50,000 THB from 2 separate Thai bank accounts, as follows:-

(1) 05/01/2009 – 20,300.00 THB mysteriously withdrawn from my Krung Thai Savings Account

(2) 18/06/2010 – a further 10,000.00 THB mysteriously withdrawn from my Krung Thai Savings Account

(3) 22/11/2010 – 20,000.00 THB mysteriously withdrawn from my Kasikorn Savings Account

At NO time have I ever been aware of any negligence on my part in the storage and use of my ATM cards (and associated PIN's) for these 2 accounts. It might also be worth pointing out that the ATM codes stated for each of these 3 phantom transactions in my passbooks do not bear any resemblance to the code for any ATM which I have used to make legitimate withdrawals.

Contrast this with my UK bank with whom I have held current accounts continuously for the past 42 years but have yet to experience any similar phantom withdrawal.

It would appear from the responses to both this thread and the separate thread which I originated on the banking forum at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/421728-phantom-atm-cash-withdrawals/ that I have probably been particularly unlucky. But, based on my experiences, is it really any wonder (even to the likes of spidermike007 who does not seem to believe in free speech) that I currently hold the whole Thai banking system in such low esteem?

Edited by OJAS

One question. Wife and I will be moving for good next summer to Udon to live. Can I open the BB account now, on our Christmas visit, or do I have to wait until we settle down in LOS for good?

Trace, Bkk Bank used to be one of the harder banks to open an account without a work permit or certificate of residence. However, by reading this on their website, it sounds like it's gotten easier, even if just on a tourist visa:

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver's license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below.)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

Further info is found on their website, here : Bangkok Bank

Letter of reference looks a little hokey. Maybe somebody who's gone this route can better elaborate. Also, the bank manager/bank local rules can drive you crazy, with their ability to make things harder than advertised -- or easier. Crap shoot.

Unfortunately, it's harder to get internet banking before you're fully established. And ibanking is a pretty significant aid, especially if you're monitoring things stateside prior to transition.

One option: have the wife set up her account, and ibanking, and funnel everything thru this account. We built our house, bought most our assets, using just the wife's Bkk Bank acct. Finally, I got around to opening a joint account with her, showing nothing but my passport. Signed up for ibanking at the same time, with no problems.

Good luck.

Thank you very much.

With apologies to the OP, for stealing his thread with our sidebars on some unique features of Bangkok Bank.

But, maybe Bangkok Bank has earned its kudos. Plus, only the reported problem banks begin with the letter "K". :rolleyes:

Well Jim, if we walk into BB and notice that you are a newly appointed senior vice president for marketing........just joking. Thanks a lot for the info. Good stuff.

Too long to read through this but OP may have been a victim of one of the personnel in the particular bank.

My wife always check the balance of large amounts left for a long time as she was told that it has been known sometimes they are used as a short time borrowing facility.:whistling:

Too long to read through this but OP may have been a victim of one of the personnel in the particular bank.

My wife always check the balance of large amounts left for a long time as she was told that it has been known sometimes they are used as a short time borrowing facility.:whistling:

This would appear to confirm jfchandler's comments at post #15. In which case I have clearly been the victim of dishonest staff at both Krung Thai and Kasikorn. My fingers are firmly crossed that their Ayudhya counterparts will prove beyond reproach (I opened a savings account with that particular bank this morning in the hope that it will be third time lucky).

I hardly see how my 2 Krung Thai mystery withdrawals at any rate could have been spirited off for "short time borrowing facility" purposes!

Been with Bangkok Bank for 26 or 27 years and never any missing funds. Plenty of other complaints but never about missing money. Perhaps, the OP made withdrawals whilst under the influence of alcohol and has no memory of it. It is not unheard of you know. :lol:

Edited by GarryP