Bike Comparison

dave_boo

Following the thread in regards to the 2011 Honda CBR 250R has led me to an interesting idea; why don't we as a forum get together and do a comparison amongst various bikes? Obviously the Ninja 250 and the CBR 250 will need to be there. Was also mulling over the idea of finding out how to get a Tiger Boxer 250 in on the fun. Perhaps a CBR 150 from both generations?

I propose that we meet up at the track behind Seacon Square on Srinarkarin Road in Bang Na. There we could establish baselines as far as manuaverability, braking, acceleration, etc. Would be good since the track is so small and crappy I believe it would translate very well into what riders would experience in the city. Getting done with that we could head off to a dyno shop and get all the bikes dyoned to put to bed claims of power. Finally (most likely after eating something, we could do a high speed run and check the bikes' handling at those speeds.

Since obviously a rider will favour their bikes more than the competition's we'll need to come up with a way around that. I think that everyone taking a turn on each bike with the results averaged out would probably be most fair. For instance I would be worried about wiping out on someone else's bike and wouldn't push it as hard as my own; I'd suspect that other riders are of the same feeling. If we could find an advanced rider, who is not biased, that would probably be even better since the differences between the bikes would be more pronounced.

If you're interested in this post a reply in this thread listing what you would be willing to bring.

I'd bring a modified Ninja 250R (Pirelli tyres, RaceTech fork springs, Power Commander, and hopefully by then an aftermarket pipe); by stock CBR 150 from the last generation is no longer of this world since the BIL wrecked it.:sorry:

Well, I guess having owned a Ninjette 250R previously I'd be considered too biased to compare it against a CBR 250, but if you need a tester I'll be happy to volunteer.

Recommend you do the dyno runs at Dirt Shop as it's very close to the BRC track and they only charge 600 Baht for a test (no tuning).

Keep us posted. Even if I don't get to test I'd still like to watch the fun.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Well, I guess having owned a Ninjette 250R previously I'd be considered too biased to compare it against a CBR 250, but if you need a tester I'll be happy to volunteer.

Recommend you do the dyno runs at Dirt Shop as it's very close to the BRC track and they only charge 600 Baht for a test (no tuning).

Happy Trails!

Tony

I'd be down for you testing; kinda put that in there to exclude you specifically since the (potential?) CBR 250 owners seem to, well, hate you, but whatever.

Ideally we'd have eight bikes there at least (2 each stock and modified) Each bike ridden 9 times (once each by all the owners and once by a fairly advanced rider) would allow us to throw away the fastest and slowest results from each bike and still get an average over seven tests. That way if you're suspiciously quick on the Ninja and deadly slow on the CBR it won't matter since the results will be tossed. The average scores for all riders will be posted, along with a breakdown between the 'four fast' and 'five slow'. Don't know of a much fairer way to do it than that.

And to sweeten the pot; I will pick up the tab for all dyno testing done for the bikes brought unless we have two from the same category (i.e. two modified Ninjas or two stock CBR 150s). If the preceding caveat is an issue the person I will pay to have their bike dynoed is the one who comes closest to my shoe size--a completely irrelevant concern and thus completely fair solution (however you can bribe me with beer).

Happy Trails!

Tony

Anyone specific one needs to talk to about booking a dyno run or can one just turn up? Do they have a workshop?

Edited by VocalNeal

I'm picking up my cbr250 on wednesday, by the new year it should be suffiently broken in and loosened up.

However, having never ridden on a track before, I'm not too sure I'd want to be sliding my new baby around at the edge of it's ability... or having others do it either. Suppose I'd let Tonnes-of-experiece-Tony take it for a lap or two, but as for letting 9 unknown people or whatever smash my brand new CBR round a small track, I think I'd rather not tbh. :)

I would be comfortable doing a straight shoot-out though.

Would be happy to volunteer it for a dyno.

The cbr250 will be stock everything.

Cheers chaps.

Can I come and play on my stock Phantom please? :whistling:

I could mount some Yoshimuri muffler , power (carb :blink:) commander & pirelli supercorsas ,on my Austro-retro 110 C (modified into a GT version) and if time allows i could come, in the speed of light :ermm:, together with bill, to watch the comparism - not sure if time allows at all, but i had to reveal my Retro Plans somewhere :rolleyes:

Mobile%20Upload.jpg

cheers,

mbox

Happy Trails!

Tony

Anyone specific one needs to talk to about booking a dyno run or can one just turn up? Do they have a workshop?

Best to give them a call and book the dyno. Dirtshop's numbers: 0-2322-1441, 0-2322-1446

I believe only Khun Nui knows how to run the dyno and it would suck to show up and find out he's away or already booked for other parties.

Yes, they have a full service workshop and their head mechanic seems fairly competent.

Ride On!

Tony

So if it's on a Sunday after the new year, put me down for letting Tony do a few laps round the circuit, doing a straight shoot-out, and if you be paying I be dyno-ing. :D

Stock CBR250.

That's kind of you to trust your bike to a complete stranger. Should this test ever actually take place I promise to keep all bikes shiny side up.

Anyway, if the Ninjette's and CBR's are wearing stock IRC tires I assure you I will take it very easy as I'm not comfortable pushing those tires very hard.

By January a Thai friend of mine should have his CBR 250 which I'm sure I can borrow as well. (He's got more bikes than he knows what to do with and I'm not too clear on what he's going to use the CBR 250 for...

Ride On!

Tony

ps. I hear the BRC has been completely repaved! I'm going to go check it out this week to see for myself. I've always thought it could be a really fun little track if they just took care of it better.

T

So if it's on a Sunday after the new year, put me down for letting Tony do a few laps round the circuit, doing a straight shoot-out, and if you be paying I be dyno-ing. :D

Stock CBR250.

I'll be back end of February; round about then would be good.

If there's enough pushback about the round robin system I'm open to a fair way of testing that someone can suggest...

Tony

I'd be down for you testing; kinda put that in there to exclude you specifically since the (potential?) CBR 250 owners seem to, well, hate you, but whatever.

:cheesy:

ps. I hear the BRC has been completely repaved! I'm going to go check it out this week to see for myself. I've always thought it could be a really fun little track if they just took care of it better.

T

Are you sure? Totally revamped? And it only took them 14 years! Brilliant!

T

Are you sure? Totally revamped? And it only took them 14 years! Brilliant!

Hiya Z! No, I didn't say "revamped" I said "repaved" and that's only what I heard- I think I might head over there tomorrow to see it for myself. I'll keep ya posted! Ride On! T

I dropped by the track today. Looking good wearing a new layer of tarmac! Good news it that drifters are no longer allowed to use the track, so it'll just be motorbikes, regular cars and go-karts.

They also sell fuel for 50 baht/l but I forgot to ask what the octane rating was.

Website and calendar are available here.

I dropped by the track today. Looking good wearing a new layer of tarmac! Good news it that drifters are no longer allowed to use the track, so it'll just be motorbikes, regular cars and go-karts.

They also sell fuel for 50 baht/l but I forgot to ask what the octane rating was.

Website and calendar are available here.

Ha ha ha!!! How flippin' fantastic that they are using one of my bike cam videos on their homepage!

http://www.bangkokracingcircuit.com/

Should I ask for royalties or some free track days? ;)

Just kidding of course! :lol:

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Dec18thKawaTrackDayER6nRR1.jpg

All it needs now is an expansion. Still makes me sad that the track is effectively a one gear track for me :( Stick it in second and never need to change out.

On the XJR1300 yes, it would certainly be a one-gear track. But on your VFR400? You won't be getting very good lap times if you're just cruising around in second gear the whole time...

Actually Tony it's a 2nd gear track for both my bikes! I'd rather not shift down to 1st at all, and even on the home straight my VFR only reaches about 11k rpm before I have to slow down for turn 1. At least with the XJR1300 I can shift out to 3rd on the home straight for a few seconds, but the VFR is definitely a 1 gear bike :P

I wonder how the new CBR will do, as this track is considered reasonably small since it's designed as a go-kart track.

Actually, we could just ask these guys...

Edited by Zzinged