without revealing the number of actual years:

Vietnam - nice

Papua New Guinea -ugly

Philippines -nicer

finally Thailand in 1982 -beautiful

returned 16 years later and treated like it was only yesterday

wifey asked to come back home after 10 years in Oz

here we are

(nice, ugly, nicer, beautiful) refers to the two main things in life Girls & Girls

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great posts!  Thanks to everybody.  I am planning my move to LOS for next summer.  Until then, it's dealing with life in NYC.  No fun.

I spent about 2 years in Thailand roaming around, got married there, moved back to New York City, and have decided it is just not worth it!  So...in the planning stages now.  House is on the market, the savings account is being topped off, and plans are underway!  I just hope interest rates keep climbing!!!!

I guess I could reply to the reason I am moving.  I was in Thailand for almost 2 years.  I loved it there.  Only moved back here, after marriage, to try and make a few bucks and get my S*** together so I could move back.  I was never really into the shagging and drinking thing there.  Though I did my share.

The country is great.  I love the people.  And especially the beaches.  Ok, the mountains around CM also...etc.  I love the food!  And to top it off...it is incredibly cheap.  I just had a "normal" sushi dinner.  Cost $80.  Only one drink each (beer).  That would have been $20 at Fuji, or less!  Oh well...

And of course, the Asian location. Being able to hop a flight to so many different countries for only a hundred bucks or so is awesome!  Sure beats the 90 minute flight to Bermuda!

Have fun and keep the posts coming!

I felt similar at the 2 year mark. You have some good points about the inexpensive travel.

These are my observations and NY 2 cents:

People are quick to criticize New Yorkers however I find them much more genuine and nicer than Thais. New Yorkers come off a bit coarse but are generally nice people. Thais come off soft but are generally not as nice. For sure Thai people are over rated, I find Thai people generally rude to foreigners particularly as compared to Cambodia or Laos.

With few exceptions, Thailand is a dirty, and litter ridden. I am amazed how clean the US is in comparison.

As for food, sure Thailand is cheaper generally but not even in the same league. Also NYC has many places of similar price to BKK and much better value. FYI we have a great Sushi dinner, Sushi / Sashimi Combo, in NY for $25. Much better than Fugi in BKK.

Unless you are strapped for cash, or are a sexpat, a move to Thailand will result in a lower standard of living, lower quality of life and eventual regrets as there is no viable long term scenario in a country where you are not FULLY accepted.

Note you returned to "make a few bucks". I never met a Thai who returned to Thailand to make a few baht.

As the commercial says: New York, don't knock it!

if i married with a Farang guy, i would relocate and work in Farang's land coz it must have more income...but i will save all money for future (yes i prefer to work and support my hubby too)

when retire ..50's i would ask my husband to come back and stay in TH coz

1 lower of cost living ..(we can live here as King and Queen)

2 It's my country ...my family, friends ...etc are here

3 TH maybe not the best country in the world , but i love it ..

Bambi :o

I just hope interest rates keep climbing!!!!

Sell high and rent low... thats the ticket

You've got the right idea. I'm also in the process of

getting my house in arizona on the market.

ide like to patiently wait out the usa baby boomer asset bubble in thailand.

then swoop down and pick up a deflated and realistically priced

condo in kona hawaii. then i could spend part of the year in hawaii

and part in thailand. I don't think I could handle full time in thailand.

I'de like a place thats more isolated from the worlds problems and

hawaii fits the bill in that category.

I certainly like the cost of health care in thailand. I think the health care

system here is overated. I've seen firsthand what lousy care my elderly

parents get. I think I can do just as good at the bkk international

hospitals and the insurance premiums would be 1/4.

Besides, half the doctors here are from foreign countries anyway.

Edited by bakachan

I'm here cause I found a nice sweet lady and I can't bear to be away from her. What's your real reason. Be honest

Since I have a choice of doing whatever I like doing, either in the USA, Thailand, or anywhere else for that matter. I find it much more pleasurable doing it in the LOS.

An honest answer, and I'd take a lie detected on that one. LOL..........DJM