Apply For Uk Passport For Son In Hk

dircavediver

I am trying to make sense of the previous post on this topic and need to clarify. I am trying to apply for a UK passport for my son, I am British and have a Thai girlfriend. My full name is on the birth certificate but we are not yet married. My son is just a week old.

I have the following papers,

• My full original British Birth certificate
  • Son's Thai Birth certificate in Thai and translated
  • 2 passport photo's of my son countersigned on the back
  • C2 form completed

I am I correct in thinking that I can post the originals of these documents along with the fee (around 4200 baht) to the Embassy in Bangkok and they will forward it to Hong Kong and on completion it will be posted back to me?

Do I need any other documents and is the above correct. Any info would be appreciated.

Note that legally, you are not the father of the child till you either marry the mother or legitimize the child.

See:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

and

http://thailawonline.com/en/family/children/custody-of-a-child-thailand.html

To get a British passport it doesn't matter, the requirements are stated on the british embassies website. Believe you need two persons to countersign the application.

First you will need to apply for a British birth certificate at the British Embassy. Then you must forward that with all the other documents to Hong Kong YOURSELF. The Embassy will not act as a post-box.

You don't NEED to get your child a British Birth Certificate.

My daughter has her passport and has never needed anything more than the certified translation along with her Thai Birth Certificate. (Make sure the translator has the correct English spellings for the names first).

I'm not saying the Consular Birth Registration doesn't make it simpler - but it's rather expensive, and not an actual requirement.

I am in a similar situation and have the same documents ready. Baby born in Thailand. I have the local birth certificate translated into English. However I live and work in Singapore. Do I need to submit my application to the British Embassy in BKK or can it be submitted at any British Embassy in SE Asia (as they all go to Hong Kong anyway) ?

Does the British Embassy in BKK need to verify the translation of the birth certificate first ? I don't intend on registering the birth at the embassy in BKK (not required either).

I will be returning to Singapore soon and wondered if I can wait and submit my baby daughter's UK passport application at the Embassy in Singapore.

JP

I am in a similar situation and have the same documents ready. Baby born in Thailand. I have the local birth certificate translated into English. However I live and work in Singapore. Do I need to submit my application to the British Embassy in BKK or can it be submitted at any British Embassy in SE Asia (as they all go to Hong Kong anyway) ?

Does the British Embassy in BKK need to verify the translation of the birth certificate first ? I don't intend on registering the birth at the embassy in BKK (not required either).

I will be returning to Singapore soon and wondered if I can wait and submit my baby daughter's UK passport application at the Embassy in Singapore.

JP

I think you will find - as I said earlier, that no British Embassy will act as a postbox for a passport.

All applications have to be sent to Hong Kong where they are processed. You must send the application direct to Hong Kong . Whilst you can send the application via registered post, the passport will be returned by courier (which of course YOU must pay extra for)

As for the translation of the Thai birth certificate, this will need to be stamped as certified by an accredited translator, and it may be better to have it notarised by a Lawyer.

Hmmm, regarding where to apply, this page http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/first-time-applications says that FIRST TIME applications still go to the British Embassy in BKK.

EDIT To add to the confusion, applications from different countries are handled different ways, for example if applying from India you MUST send your passport to the embassy in Delhi.

Hmmm, regarding where to apply, this page http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/first-time-applications says that FIRST TIME applications still go to the British Embassy in BKK.

EDIT To add to the confusion, applications from different countries are handled different ways, for example if applying from India you MUST send your passport to the embassy in Delhi.

I stand corrected.

The British Embassy Bangkok web page on passports says

"We no longer issue standard (10 year) British passports at this Embassy. You now need to apply for your passport at our Regional Passport Processing Centre in Hong Kong."

[/i]

Yet when you go on to the Hong Kong page, it says that first time applicants DO apply through Bangkok.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/

http://ukinhongkong.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/passports/how-to-apply/thailand/first-time-applications

What a pity they cannot be more specific on the Bangkok page!!!

Translations:

All legal documents in a foreign language, submitted with a passport application (such as birth/death/marriage certificates, divorce papers, change of name documents, affidavits, etc) should be translated into English by a professional translator. The translation must be on their company letterhead or have their official stamp/seal/signature, and must give their contact details. NB You cannot get a friend or relative to do this for you.

OK so I'm not the only one confused by the conflicting information. All the different UK FCO websites say something slightly different. I actually went to the British Embassy yesterday to make my enquiry in person. I don't have the patience for their phone lines. I arrived at 1145 as on Fridays, according to the website, they close at 1300. But I was shown away by the enquiry guard as he said they only work half day on Friday. I said that I knew that and they close at 1300 but he said it was 1100 as the website was wrong and told me to come back Monday morning. ANOTHER webite inaccuracy.

The British embassy BKK website says to submit the application to them so I wonder whether they check all the documents and maybe notarise the translations before sending to HK ? If so then it would appear that I can't just send direct to HK. I guess another trip to Wireless Road is required....

JP

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, so I can send it straight to BKK with the fee in Thai baht.

The C2 form notes say I only need the following

• C2 form completed
  • Fee

But other Uk Gov websites say i need to send ID and passports of mother and myself, little confusing? Anyone know if i actually have to send my passport and hers?

[...]you must forward that with all the other documents to Hong Kong YOURSELF. The Embassy will not act as a post-box.

I applied for both the birth certificate and passport for my son at the embassy last week. I paid the fee for both at the counter and the embassy sent all the documents to Hong Kong for me.

Note this may only be for the case if you go to the embassy in person, not sure about if you were to mail the stuff to them in Bangkok.

Edited by dave111223

Thanks, so I can send it straight to BKK with the fee in Thai baht.

The C2 form notes say I only need the following

• C2 form completed
  • Fee

But other Uk Gov websites say i need to send ID and passports of mother and myself, little confusing? Anyone know if i actually have to send my passport and hers?

Basically you need to follow the instructions on the relevant fco.gov.uk website.

My daughter was born in Thailand but I live and work in Singapore. The instructions for Singpore is to just send everything directly to Hong Kong. So I called the British High Commision in Singapore and mentioned that I had Thai documents (with translations). I asked whether I could just send everything to HK but they said that you have to follow the instructions on the website as in the example of Thailand they need to verify the documents as there has been a history of forged documents from there. I guess the embassy do some verification first before sending on to HK.