Work Permits & Penang - Take Care!

Following a fraud 2 weeks ago, Penang is now asking for an extra document for Non I B applications.

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE APPLYING FOR THEIR FIRST NON I B VISA. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A WORK PERMIT AND ARE APPLYING FOR ANOTHER VISA THEN IT'S OK.

It seems that sombody tried to apply for his first NON I B visa with papers from a company that had gone bankrupt and was out of business. As a result of this, Penang is now insisting for a letter from the Labour office that confirms that your sponsoring company is real and functioning.

If you don't have this paper, then no visa.

If you already have a work permit and are renewing, then no problems. This applies to first-time applicants.

There were 2 guys on the same bus as me who were refused and had to return to BKK with a TOURIST visa in order to get the required new document.

Rob

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would this apply to overseas companys ???

I have read about people using thier home country employer or even thier own comapny to sucessfully apply in Penang.. Does this now mean only Thai companies can be a sponsor company ??

I have read about people using thier home country employer or even thier own comapny to sucessfully apply in Penang.. Does this now mean only Thai companies can be a sponsor company ??

==================================================

<[Complaining about other people's spelling is absolutely irrelevant to the subject matter of the thread and, as demonstrated later on in this thread, stirs up a great deal of animosity, therefore I have erased these comments and references to it. Show your maturity by keeping the discussion civil and to the point. Thank you. /Meadish]>

The subject-matter under discussion is about a Business Visa for Thailand. I completely fail to understand what you're going on about "Overseas-Companies" ????? Surely you must be able to grasp, that only a Thai Legal Entity is able to "sponsor" such an instrument (for Thailand; daaaaa !). Unless you are talking about a Thai Company which is part of a Multi-National organization, but then still: the Thai legal entity is the only one which is in a position to issue such required sponsorship.

:o

If you already have a 1 year non-immigrant visa, you don't go out of the country to renew it.  You do it have immigration.  You never have to leave the country if you don't want to.

Do you extend it at the immigration office? Would you please inform me about this procedure?

I love the timing on this. :o

All right guys, I need some urgent help on this. I am leaving next week (trying to get my plane tickets today or tomorrow) to go to Penang to get my first Non-immigrant visa. And soon after, work permit.

I have:

My current passport and stamps (of course)

A Sponsor letter from the company

A Visa Application form

And ... a photocopied:

กรมทะเบียนการค้า

ใบสำคัญแสดงการจดทะเบียนห้างหุ้นส่วนบริษัท

I can roughly translate this to:

Department of Registered Commerce (not Ministry of Commerse)

Proof Of Company Share and Registration

Again, this is just a photocopy.

Is there something else that I need? What would that be, and how would I get it?

Any urgent help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

the subject-matter under discussion is about a Business Visa for Thailand. I completely fail to understand what you're going on about "Overseas-Companies" ????? Surely you must be able to grasp, that only a Thai Legal Entity is able to "sponsor" such an instrument (for Thailand; daaaaa !). Unless you are talking about a Thai Company which is part of a Multi-National organization, but then still: the Thai legal entity is the only one which is in a position to issue such required sponsorship.

Total spherical objects

I know many people here sponsored into positions in Thailand by foreign companies - e.g. UK company based in UK with no overseas office.

The most common job titles are "buyers", "consultants", "quality controllers" etc.

It is a total myth that only Thai legal entities are allowed to sponsor employees.

If that were the case, there would be no foreign correspondents or media personnel in the kingdom, let alone the hundreds of other types of employees of foreign-based companies.

Go read the Alien Business Law (1999) again and learn the truth instead of listening to Bar Stool Lawyers.

I have:

A Visa Application form

And ... a photocopied:

กรมทะเบียนการค้า

Is there something else that I need?  What would that be, and how would I get it? 

Thanks!

Last time I applied for a NON-B in Penang they only issued me a 3 months and I had to get back after that WITH my WP.

Then they would give me the 1 year witch they did.

Please note that the immigration officer also mentionned in my pasport that I had to present my workpermit next time I applied for a WP...

Just got my second Non-B in the UK. Last years had expired. They where very quick. No hassle at all. Sent it on Wednesday recieved it Friday. THEY PROCESSED AND SHIPPED IT OUT SAME DAY :o If you apply in your own country its a lot easier. You need to be in your own country to apply. I just mailed it for convenience.

Edited by Pui

If you already have a 1 year non-immigrant visa, you don't go out of the country to renew it.  You do it have immigration.  You never have to leave the country if you don't want to.

Actually no not always. Some people can't get the extension to their Visa (for various reasons...not making the minimum wage etc.) so they need to get a multiple from Penang and do 3 monthly runs. Although I've heard CM Immigration will extend every 3 months or so (doesn't seem to happen everywhere though).

Also if you have a one year Visa.....you most likely already have had it extended (otherwise it would only be good for 3 months (generally)).

==================================================

The subject-matter under discussion is about a Business Visa for Thailand. I completely fail to understand what you're going on about "Overseas-Companies" ????? Surely you must be able to grasp, that only a Thai Legal Entity is able to "sponsor" such an instrument (for Thailand; daaaaa !). Unless you are talking about a Thai Company which is part of a Multi-National organization, but then still: the Thai legal entity is the only one which is in a position to issue such required sponsorship.

Actually a letter from a Brit or American company (or some other country) saying you're looking to set up an office here, or want to check out potential business opportunities will generally/often get you Non-imm B from most Western Embassies/Consulates.

So you're kind of mistaken (although in Asia it's probably more correct).

Ooops soz I see Gaz has said the same!

Edited by meadish_sweetball

My source tells me that said person was a Filipino. This is really going to suck for a lot of people. More paperwork, more hassle.

I just had the same problem with a farang, they were asking for a list/paperwork of all foreign employees with WPs that work for us.....they used to do the same a few years ago as well (so we used Khota Bharu then).

Just got my second Non-B in the UK. Last years had expired. They where very quick. No hassle at all. Sent it on Wednesday recieved it Friday. THEY PROCESSED AND SHIPPED IT OUT SAME DAY  :o If you apply in your own country its a lot easier. You need to be in your own country to apply. I just mailed it for convenience.

Not so much being in your own country per se (although I agree you should be in the country where you're applying to) rather a lot of Western Consulates/Embassies are VERY quick and efficient (sp?).

So an American in the UK would get it just as quick and easily as a Brit in the UK (and the other way around).

We are talking about the Penang consulate and it appears, as shown by the OP that

"Penang is now insisting for a letter from the Labour office that confirms that your sponsoring company is real and functioning."

This obviously in reaction to sponsor-letters presented that have been 'issued' by non-existing companies.

Under Thai rules the consular-officer can request any further documents deemed as necessary.

It makes sense that they company in Thailand sponsoring should actually exist.

I could imagine, they would accept as well a sponsor letter by a alaysian company

which is well with the area of the Penang consulate.

A consulate in Europe might be happy with a local sponsor or a thai sponsor.

If one extents the stay within Thailand, talking about the annual extension, the immigration office requests all kind of company - documents, incl. copy of registration, tax-reorts, VST - reports, salary-lists etc.

International companies in Thailand, wether wholly or partly foreign owned, are still registered in Thailand.

I love the timing on this.  :o

All right guys, I need some urgent help on this.  I am leaving next week (trying to get my plane tickets today or tomorrow) to go to Penang to get my first Non-immigrant visa.  And soon after, work permit. 

I have:

A Visa Application form

And ... a photocopied:

กรมทะเบียนการค้า

Is there something else that I need?  What would that be, and how would I get it? 

Thanks!

Im in JML's shoe's.

I am going to Panang this Sunday for a non I B. All I have is a letter from the sponsering company.

Is this going to be sufficient?

Can I obtain an application form while I'm there?

Do I need photos etc?.....My sponser hasn't mentioned anything else other than go to Panang and get a visa.

All this talk has got me worried....

HELP!

:D

What specific documentation are they looking for from the Labor Ministry?

Does the labor ministry have a format for this?

In India, atleast for Indian nationals the Thai embassy asks for a pre- approval letter from the ministry of labor for issuing Non-B

Is the consulate in penang requesting the same document....

if thats the case...this would certainly make getting a B from penang a whole lot more complicated

As stated, this rule applies to NEW applications for Non B, not renewals.

I am surprised that an updated copy of the Nangsue Raprong (business license) wouldnt suffice since that document is renewed and officially stamped every 6 months (they usually ask for a 3 month updated copy). How could the Labour Department issue a document verifying that a company does or does not exist? Only the Commercial Registration Dept that can do that. Labour Dept deals with Labour issues.

Perhaps this situation needs further clarification from some of the experts on this bulletin board?

As stated, this rule applies to NEW applications for Non B, not renewals.

I am surprised that an updated copy of the Nangsue Raprong (business license) wouldnt suffice since that document is renewed and officially stamped every 6 months (they usually ask for a 3 month updated copy). How could the Labour Department issue a document verifying that a company does or does not exist? Only the Commercial Registration Dept that can do that. Labour Dept deals with Labour issues.

Perhaps this situation needs further clarification from some of the experts on this bulletin board?

Ok, an easy answer, and a question.

DavieA, any time you need to get a visa, you will have to bring photos with you. Usually 1, but for this one, stock up with 2.

Otherwise, I am the same as you, I was planning on just showing up at whatever Thai embassy the taxi driver brings me to, giving them a bunch of paper work, and kissing a$$ in whatever way it needs to be kissed.

I tried calling the Thai consulate in Malaysia. The info I have is:

PENANG

Royal Thai Consulate-General

No. 1, Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman

10350 Penang

Tel. (60-4) 2268029, 2269484

Fax:(60-4) 2263121

E-mail : [email protected]

Can anybody verify this?

Just got my second Non-B in the UK. Last years had expired. They where very quick. No hassle at all. Sent it on Wednesday recieved it Friday. THEY PROCESSED AND SHIPPED IT OUT SAME DAY  :o If you apply in your own country its a lot easier. You need to be in your own country to apply. I just mailed it for convenience.

Can you tell if you made the application in person in the UK or applied for it in the post from Thailand ??

Why are people going to penang for visa's, and work permits?is it easier,cheaper, is it legal. Just curious>

Because you must obtain a non immigrant B visa to obtain a work permit and such a visa requires a job offer in most cases. So the person arrives without a visa and looks for a job on a 30 day visa free entry - when he finds it he takes paperwork to Penang or another Consulate to obtain the required B visa.

For those with a work permit but who are unable to obtain an extension from immigration (normally because income lower than required) Penang is the normal choice as it is the only close Consulate where a multi entry B visa can be easily obtained. They then can do the 90 day work permit/entry shuffle for about 15 months before having to visit Consulate again.

Yes - what is being done is legal. No - they do not obtain work permits in Penang.

Currently an employee of ours is caught in Penang with this situation. I called the consulate and also had one of the Thai staff talk to them. I haven't heard if they will issue a non-immigrant B or not. (The applicant has not returned, although he was due back today).

All of the papers were in order, including a copy of the companies registration. Apparently they now want this verified, rather than just the existing papers. I don't know a lot about it, but I will have to check this out and will try to make further posts as soon as I know.

We have a lot of people who apply in Penang--maybe 10 to 20 per year, so they know the company. I was surprised they gave us a hassle. A few years ago the ministry of labor asked them to accept any of our applicants as we are well known to them.

We have a lot of people who apply in Penang--maybe 10 to 20 per year, so they know the company.  I was surprised they gave us a hassle.  A few years ago the ministry of labor asked them to accept any of our applicants as we are well known to them.

Bureaucracy in action... I recall one guy posting on another board years ago that some paranoid consular official in the States wanted documentation that the company he worked for (UPS) actually existed. This will all die down after a while but in the meantime, it'll be a hassle for anybody planning their visa renewal in Penang.

I can't confirm or deny what the moment-to-moment visa policy is at Penang, but I have my doubts that the original post was an accurate assessment.

If it was indeed a Filipino that was rejected, then this is routine - in order for a Filipino - or Indian, or Indonesian (plus several other countries) to obtain an initial Class B visa, they must have their employment pre-certified by the Labor Department, via issuance of a WP3 certificate, and they must then RETURN TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY to obtain the initial Class B visa. I do not know if Penang was previously in the habit of processing such WP3 cases for third-party nationals - which they were not supposed to do - and are now enforcing that rule - but this is my guess.

The fact that the rejectee was told he needed a form from Labor Ministry strongly suggests to me that this was the WP3 requirement, and not a requirement that would be imposed on citizens of non-WP3 countries.

I believe it very unlikely that Thai diplomatic posts would be told that it was their job to check on the operational status of companies - as long as the registration printout was not older than six months (which is the long-standing, universal standard at all Thai government offices).

Then again, if it was specifically Penang that gave visas to all the Filipinos who got deported, they may be over-reacting to being chastised for that.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

In regards to Non-Immigrant "B" visas: The Consulate-General in Calgary, Alberta, Canada follows the following rules given to us by the Thai Embassy in Ottawa:

1. For a Single Entry Non-Immigrant "B", "ED" or "O" visa, we require a Letter of invitation from an entity within Thailand. This visa is good for 90 days. The Thai entity would then apply for and obtain a work/study/volunteer permit for the applicant. The applicant would have to extend this Permit every 90 days at any Immigration Department office up to the end of their contract. NOTE: as of July 2004, the Thai company is no longer responsible for paying for the Permit and extensions. Some companies still do; other companies either pay and then deduct the cost from the applicant's pay or the applicant must pay for it up front.

2. For a Multiple Entry Non-Immigrant "B" visa ONLY, (the only type of Multiple-Entry visa we issue) the Letter of Invitation must be from a company outside of Thailand and must state that this company outside of Thailand will be responsible for all the applicant's expenses while they are in Thailand.

I understand that the rules vary according to the country; however, this is how it is done in Canada.

With very kind regards,

Francie Lorren

<snip>

Please, I would like to encourage those of you who know something about the current situation, or can figure out what is the document Penang wants. Especially you, Scott, you seem to be able to find the most info on this soon. I have not booked my plane tickets yet because of this, but maybe I should just book them for Tuesday, in case I need to make an emergency visit to a Ministry somewhere on Monday. I love the fact that these Ministry's are moving all the way out to Nontaburi, nice and convenient.

I feel like this document from the Department of Registered Commerse is probably what they are looking for, but until someone can step up with some real idea, I just have that feeling like I may be wasting a trip to Penang.

Thanks for anyone who can put a real clarity on this.

Edited by george