Gasoline .... What Is What?

ChangNoi1

Although it stricly not a motorcycle issiue ... I come from the good old simple time of benzine .. but know there are so much different kind of gasoline's it makes me crazy.

What are all the different kind of gasoline one can buy at gasoline stations? What is gasohol in Thailand? With what is it mixed and at what percentage?

Example PTT has

Gasoline 91 and Gasoline 95 .... OK that I understand

But they also have Gasohol 91 and Gasohol 95. Is that mixed with methanol or alchohol? And at what percentage?

And they have Gasohol E20 and Gasohol E85. What is that? What is the meaning of E20 and E85?

At Shell they have

V-Power Gasohol, which is a mixture of gasoline 95 and 10% Ethanol

But they also have "FuelSave Gasohol 91" and "FuelSave 95". What is the different?

Why do I ask?

"Never use gasoline with an octane rating lower than the minimum specified by Kawasaki. Never use “gasohol” with more than 10% ethanol, or more than 5% methanol. Gasoline containing methanol must also be blended with cosolvents and corrosion inhibitors. Certain ingredients of gasoline

may cause paint fading or damage. Be extra careful not to spill gasoline or gasoline oxygenate blends during refueling. When not operating your

Kawasaki for 30 to 60 days, mix a fuel stabilizer (such as STA-BIL) with the gasoline in the fuel tank. Fuel stabilizer additives inhibit oxidation of the fuel which minimizes gummy deposits."

Chang Noi

easy part, Gasohol

Gasohol is gasohol E10 = 10% ethanol most cars since 2006 and a few bikes since 2008 can use it

Gasohol E20 = 20% ethanol, some cars since 2008 and very few bikes can use it

E85, anyone seen it called gasohol? = 85% Ethanol, no bikes and a very few cars (Mitsu 1,8 and Volvo 2,5FT) can use it

all come in 91 and 95 octane RON

Petrol, and petrol wannabes

91 still available

95 available very few places

Shell V-Power is NOT petrol and NOT Gasohol, but blended with 6% Ethanol. I consider its damages on par with E10

When Ethanol blended gasoline is stored for more than 2 weeks, it may separate. To high concentration of Ethanol may enter fuelpump/injection/engine and cause damage. So pure petrol during storage

Fortunately LOS kwakers are tuned to run on 91, which is available all over the country as petrol without ethanol

Usually gasohol is designated with a green color. My Nouvo Elegance has a green sticker on the gas cap that also has 91 in the center of the cap. That means that it is able to use gasohol91 octane.

easy part, Gasohol

Gasohol is gasohol E10 = 10% ethanol most cars since 2006 and a few bikes since 2008 can use it

E85, anyone seen it called gasohol? = 85% Ethanol, no bikes and a very few cars (Mitsu 1,8 and Volvo 2,5FT) can use it

91 still available

Shell V-Power is NOT petrol and NOT Gasohol, but blended with 6% Ethanol. I consider its damages on par with E10

When Ethanol blended gasoline is stored for more than 2 weeks, it may separate. To high concentration of Ethanol may enter fuelpump/injection/engine and cause damage. So pure petrol during storage

Fortunately LOS kwakers are tuned to run on 91, which is available all over the country as petrol without ethanol

According to www.shell.co.th Shell V-Power 95 has 10% ethanol, it is an E10 gasohol. I presume the difference between it and ordinary Shell 95 gasohol is in the additive packages.

Shell no longer market any pure benzine products (as far as I can make out. It's all got at least 10% ethanol.

Edited by 13budgies

easy part, Gasohol

91 still available

According to www.shell.co.th Shell V-Power 95 has 10% ethanol, it is an E10 gasohol. I presume the difference between it and ordinary Shell 95 gasohol is in the additive packages.

Shell no longer market any pure benzine products (as far as I can make out. It's all got at least 10% ethanol.

To bad if even V-Power 95 is now 10% ethanol

easy part, Gasohol

91 still available

Well as long I aware here in Patters there are only 1 or 2 gasoline-stations that still sell 91 Benzine.

Chang Noi

easy part, Gasohol

91 still available

Well as long I aware here in Patters there are only 1 or 2 gasoline-stations that still sell 91 Benzine.

Chang Noi

When you bought your Kawasaki did you notice the E10 sticker on the tank?

It is designed to run just fine on E10 (10% ethanol) gasohol. I put 18000km on my ER6n using only gasohol and 22000km on my Ninja 650R again, all gasohol and had no problems with either of them.

I agree however that it's not a good idea to let a vehicle sit with a tankful of gasohol as there have been many reports of gasohol causing fuel system problems if left sitting for extended periods of time.

But for day to day use your Kwacker will run just fine on E10 gasohol.

If you plan to leave the bike sitting for a long period of time it may be a good idea to fill the tank with gasoline.

Happy New Year!

Tony

Sorry mate, what "damages" are you referring to?

T

vehicles unable to handle Ethanol in fuel, damages are initially plastic and rubberparts in fuelsystem, including tank filler cap, valves, hoses, o-rings, pump, and injectors.

Some also develope damages in head/valves and pistons

I agree kwaker is approved by kwaker LOS to use E10, but many bikes can not handle Ethanol at all

easy part, Gasohol

91 still available

To bad if even V-Power 95 is now 10% ethanol

Too bad that they even charge a premium for it.

easy part, Gasohol

91 still available

One thing that confuses me; I seem to remember that in the states, since the early 90's every gas pump has a disclaimer that says "may contain up to 10% ethanol." Every car or motorcycle on the road seemed to run on it fine, so is tht the same as E10 and why have I never heard of cars breaking down or needing refitting to run on it including those from 70's 80's etc?

easy part, Gasohol

91 still available

One thing that confuses me; I seem to remember that in the states, since the early 90's every gas pump has a disclaimer that says "may contain up to 10% ethanol." Every car or motorcycle on the road seemed to run on it fine, so is tht the same as E10 and why have I never heard of cars breaking down or needing refitting to run on it including those from 70's 80's etc?

dont know, but my 2003/4 Honda VTX 1800cc V-twin was us made, and sure couldnt handle one tank of E10 gasohol, filled by mistake. Fuelpump, o-rings/plastic melted and ended up in engines combustion chamber as glazed black stuff. Mess to try to clean up, and new sparkplugs needed. Probably should have replaced the valves in heads too.

I know Subarus fuel tank/system couldnt handle E10 until 2006 either

While Brazil VW and Ford has been running +E20 since the 70s

easy part, Gasohol

91 still available

Yes, you are quite right- as part of the Clean Air Act which was signed into law in 1990 the EPA mandated the use of ethanol (up to 10%) in gasoline for cities across the US to fight smog starting in the early 90's and therefore all vehicles manufactured for the US market since that time have to be ethanol tolerant. Older vehicles do indeed have problems with ethanol as the plastic and rubber components in older fuel systems are not designed to withstand the corrosive effects of ethanol. Pretty much any vehicle manufactured after 1990 SHOULD be able to run on 10% ethanol gasohol aka E10 gasohol.

I used 10% ethanol fuel in bikes and cars in the US without any ill effects and have used mostly E10 gasohol here in Thailand in all my bikes and have never had any fuel system problems EXCEPT when I let a bike sit for a long time; it seems the ethanol in gasohol can separate from the gasoline if left sitting for prolonged periods of time and this can cause fuel system problems such as corrosion and deposits.

Ride On!

Tony

I know Subarus fuel tank/system couldnt handle E10 until 2006 either

Sorry mate but that's flat out incorrect- I've owned a bunch of Subarus back in the States and lived in a state for a while (MN) that required 10% ethanol in all gasoline and I assure you all my Subarus ran just fine on the stuff. The US isn't like Thailand where you have a choice of gasoline or gasohol, the EPA mandated the use of ethanol in ALL gasoline in certain states plagued by bad air quality. Are you suggesting that Subaru stopped selling cars in ethanol states in the US for 6 years due to fuel issues?!

The only guys who had problems were all the people with "classic" bikes and cars (and that was a LOT of people!). The ethanol ate right through older rubber fuel lines, carb floats, etc and all those parts had to be replaced on older vehicles before they could use the 10% ethanol fuel. Once their fuel systems were upgraded older vehicles ran just fine on gasohol.

Edited by BigBikeBKK