Best Combo Of Safety And Value Cars

amykat

'Histavia' disagree trucks are safer than many cars and there are guys on here who have survived to prove it.

There other threads on this kind safety thing and the main point is still being missed.

Histavia disagrees with himself

"What is important is how the car protects its passenegers....."

Any Thai sold pickup/suv with 2 airbags has better passenger protection, due to large deformation sones and strong passenger case, than any car less than 3 million baht sold in Thailand. In addition any highrised/4x4 pickup/suv has the advantage of carrying passengers higher over road surface, reducing impact on passengers in side crash.

In barrier crashes at 55 kmh most cars do well, and 4-5 stars is almost the norm. In Thailand more than 70% of the vehicles on highways are 2-3 tons pickups or larger, and most cars are crushed to nothing in an impact with vehicle weighing more than double cars weight.

The chances of a Truck not crashing because they were not build to go over 70

are very slim, im not against Pik Ups, if used for what they were built for.Im pissed of seeing a Fortuna upside down every month.

'Histavia' disagree trucks are safer than many cars and there are guys on here who have survived to prove it.

There other threads on this kind safety thing and the main point is still being missed.

Any Thai sold pickup/suv with 2 airbags has better passenger protection, due to large deformation sones and strong passenger case, than any car less than 3 million baht sold in Thailand. In addition any highrised/4x4 pickup/suv has the advantage of carrying passengers higher over road surface, reducing impact on passengers in side crash.

In barrier crashes at 55 kmh most cars do well, and 4-5 stars is almost the norm. In Thailand more than 70% of the vehicles on highways are 2-3 tons pickups or larger, and most cars are crushed to nothing in an impact with vehicle weighing more than double cars weight.

While I don't disagree with what you say, what is the reality regarding the percentage of accidents involving pickups vs cars? It could well be that cars and their drivers are more likely to avoid accidents than those driving pickups. I really did feel less safe driving a triton than my own car. It had awful brakes, had a high centre of gravity and was much less maneuverable than my own car - I couldn't just flick it around on twisty roads. Many of the accidents I see on the roads here involve pickups, but that could involve both drivers (their education) and their vehicle. Perhaps pickup drivers feel more invincible than those in cars. I certainly take it a lot more easy than those driving pickups at 150km/h going by me! But really I would love to see some official stats of accidents involving pickups vs passenger cars.

Never seen such stats for Thailand. My safety thoughts this time is on crash safety only. In what vehicle do I have a chance of survival when a truck hits me. On the highways traffic consist of 70-80% pickups or larger vehicles. Doing 3-4k km trips several times a year in LOS, 90% of all roadside wrecks are pickups or larger, surpising many are single vehicle accidents. I believe it more reflects the number of miles they cover and how tired the drivers are, than vehicles qualities.

Active safety most cars are better than any pickup/suv. But there is no secrete the cars with most safety features are also the ones involved in most accidents in the US and Europe. Sad stats for highend Audi Quattros, better for Audi low end 2wd

On a side note, a tourbus with one driver going nonstop from Chiang Mai to Phuket just had a major accident few km before destination in Phuket. Driver asleep

are very slim, im not against Pik Ups, if used for what they were built for.Im pissed of seeing a Fortuna upside down every month.

at 160 kmh, my 2010 Vigo on stock 17 inchers handles much better than my 2007 Camry did, both loaded with 500kg.

Fortuna upside down every month says a lot about its drivers and sales volume. Not much about its capabilities

Wonder why Audi Quattros are involved in so many accidents, and Audi 2 wd is not. Could it be the drivers?

I reckon the Honda City is good for value for money and safety. Mid range City's have airbags and ABS and it costs less than a Jazz or Vios.

I hire cars whenever I need one, so I've driven all the Thai built cars from Jazz, City and Vios up to Fortuna and CRV.

Favourite for driving enjoyment must be the Accord .... but the Altis was a pleasant surprise. I guess 1 million taxi drivers can't be wrong?

God Give Us Strength.There are Ferangs here who put Half a Ton in a Camry !!!.Its a futile argument, Lipstick on a Pig, trucks dont Handle Well,and thats half the Fun.Im on the road every day, i see them break away on the Mountains fully loaded to overloaded,or one up, they are bloody lethal in inexperienced hands.:o

at 160 kmh, my 2010 Vigo on stock 17 inchers handles much better than my 2007 Camry did, both loaded with 500kg.

Fortuna upside down every month says a lot about its drivers and sales volume. Not much about its capabilities

Wonder why Audi Quattros are involved in so many accidents, and Audi 2 wd is not. Could it be the drivers?

+1,:)

God Give Us Strength.There are Ferangs here who put Half a Ton in a Camry !!!.Its a futile argument, Lipstick on a Pig, trucks dont Handle Well,and thats half the Fun.Im on the road every day, i see them break away on the Mountains fully loaded to overloaded,or one up, they are bloody lethal in inexperienced hands.:o

5 adults and a few bags is 450 kg. 60 liter of fuel ad 50 kg. Thats 500kg, or 900 pound if you prefere. Thats what the Camry is made for, at least according to Toyota. But the soft suspension is unable to handle it at speed. and the auto overheats

wasnt trying to make Camry look bad, simply replying to your claim of lousy handling pickups. There are pickups, and there are good handling pickups and Suvs. What a Mazda BT50 can manage at 80 kmh a Vigo or Pajero Sport can do at 120 kmh

and because there are quiet a few "bloody leathal" vehicles at Thai Highways, I prefere to be protected by the vehicles I have mentioned in this thread. Senn them all crashed and made my choise accordingly

Just to add some fun to the ''practicality snoozefest" :P

Here are some cars that are a bit different - though in BKK, you do see plenty of beautiful cars on any given day.... these are just from this afternoon jap.gif

Almost Magnum P.I. (he had a 308GTS (Targa), not a GTB like below, but close enough - this is pretty awesome to see in BKK):

post-68285-0-06626200-1305801069_thumb.j

Or, perhaps an old-school 965 (911 Turbo):

post-68285-0-55313100-1305801181_thumb.j

And in the background of that 965 above there is this for the folks who like the VW (it is mint btw):

post-68285-0-36718400-1305801205_thumb.j

Or perhaps for a Lolls Loyce Silver Spur for highway comfort:

post-68285-0-17257800-1305801220_thumb.j

On-topic, there is a car in every pic above that combines safety and value (plus some character) - I know george is a fan of the brand! wink.gif

Defensive driving is the best way of collission avoidance.

Chose a vehicle with at least Dual Air Bags, Anti-Lock ABS Brakes. If more Airbags are available better, but in a small car, you are still limited with protection provided by these air bags.

On the less expensive sedans:

Chevrolet Cruze is listed in the US as one of the safest cars. It is sold in Thailand, but not sure if it is similar to the US domestic product for safety.

Ford Focus, Honda City, Civic, and Accord, Toyota Vios, Altis, and Camry, and Hyundai Sonata are all fairly good cars. Just have to make sure you pick a model that does have all the safety features.

Ford Ranger Open Cab or the 4 door Pickups are a good choice for safety and reliability, but resale value in Thailand is poor.

Toyota pick ups are notorius for being light in the rear and lose traction easily. They are nice, but many complaints of that problem from owners.

Isuzu pickups are the same body and many times engine as the Chevrolet. They feel heavier and more stable on the road than the Toyota's.

Would not even consider the Mitsubishi or unfortunately Nissan (who used to produce a fine pick up).

Most safety features on all these pick ups require the biggest engine and top line models.

Cheepies are bought all the time, and those are the vehicles with the highest safety problems.

Isuzu MU 7 nice, but looks like a water buffalo.

Toyota Fortuna is over rated, many times without all the safety features unless buying top models.

Ford Escape and Everest are similar to the Ford Pick ups, but the Escape is rated in the US as one of the safest SUV's.

Honda CRV has gotten smaller and seems to suffer some safety flaws with the recent changes to body and interior.

Need to make sure you do get all the safety features you wish and chose the model accordingly.

And remember, SUV's and Pick ups do not handle the same as a car or sedan. They are not meant for aggressive or high speed driving.

Drive defensively and be alert and prepared are the best safety you can give yourself or family and friends.

For a smallish car maybe the Nissan Tiida

March this year the top model

[in Thailand says 6 airbags] =

4 Airbags

Driver, Passenger, Side Curtain Airbags

ABS with EBD and Brake Assist System

Believe will be on sale here later this year.

It is based on the Renault Megane platform and in Europe has a 5* crash test rating.

Also on sale late this year the new Almera..

Defensive driving is the best way of collission avoidance. +1

The middle bit is self opinionated

Drive defensively and be alert and prepared are the best safety you can give yourself or family and friends. +1

You started good and ended good.:lol:

Defensive driving is the best way of collission avoidance. +1

The middle bit is self opinionated

Drive defensively and be alert and prepared are the best safety you can give yourself or family and friends. +1

You started good and ended good.:lol:

yeah, the best safety is not for sale, it is the driver.

but when shit happens, of course caused by someone else :rolleyes: , the choise of vehicle can save life :) .

both vehicles active abilities like light/visibility, handling/steering/brakes

and its ability to protect its occupants.

Chose a vehicle with at least Dual Air Bags, Anti-Lock ABS Brakes. If more Airbags are available better, but in a small car, you are still limited with protection provided by these air bags.

Chevrolet Cruze is listed in the US as one of the safest cars. It is sold in Thailand, but not sure if it is similar to the US domestic product for safety.

Ford Focus, Honda City, Civic, and Accord, Toyota Vios, Altis, and Camry, and Hyundai Sonata are all fairly good cars. Just have to make sure you pick a model that does have all the safety features.

Ford Ranger Open Cab or the 4 door Pickups are a good choice for safety and reliability, but resale value in Thailand is poor.

Toyota pick ups are notorius for being light in the rear and lose traction easily. They are nice, but many complaints of that problem from owners.

Isuzu pickups are the same body and many times engine as the Chevrolet. They feel heavier and more stable on the road than the Toyota's.

Would not even consider the Mitsubishi or unfortunately Nissan (who used to produce a fine pick up).

Most safety features on all these pick ups require the biggest engine and top line models.

Cheepies are bought all the time, and those are the vehicles with the highest safety problems.

Toyota Fortuna is over rated, many times without all the safety features unless buying top models.

Ford Escape and Everest are similar to the Ford Pick ups, but the Escape is rated in the US as one of the safest SUV's.

Honda CRV has gotten smaller and seems to suffer some safety flaws with the recent changes to body and interior.

Need to make sure you do get all the safety features you wish and chose the model accordingly.

And remember, SUV's and Pick ups do not handle the same as a car or sedan. They are not meant for aggressive or high speed driving.

Drive defensively and be alert and prepared are the best safety you can give yourself or family and friends.

With this vast array of your obviously hands on tested info, am l right in assuming you are a test driver for perhaps a well known motor magazine ?. :unsure:

With this vast array of your obviously hands on tested info, am l right in assuming you are a test driver for perhaps a well known motor magazine ?. :unsure:

You are cutting Mr Transam,hes a Car Thief.:D

And remember, SUV's and Pick ups do not handle the same as a car or sedan. They are not meant for aggressive or high speed driving..

I don't want to detract from your great post, but that's ^ a sweeping statement that's just not true. There's plenty of average to poor handling cars out there that would be downright put to shame in the corners and under brakes by a Fortuner Sportivo, or Pajero Sport (the latter if fitted with decent tires - the Bridgestone Duellers it comes with are junk).

And remember, SUV's and Pick ups do not handle the same as a car or sedan. They are not meant for aggressive or high speed driving..

I don't want to detract from your great post, but that's ^ a sweeping statement that's just not true. There's plenty of average to poor handling cars out there that would be downright put to shame in the corners and under brakes by a Fortuner Sportivo, or Pajero Sport (the latter if fitted with decent tires - the Bridgestone Duellers it comes with are junk).

indeed

and my 1993 Range Rover still handles more G force in curves than most cars

The fact that Trucks, SUV's, and 4X4's handle differnt from a car is a broad sweeping statement. But a fact that they are not meant for aggressive and high speed driving, as many sedans are not meant to drive like that either.

That said, a high proile vehicle does have higher roll over incidence due to centers of gravity and height/weight proportion.

These vehicles are meant to be driven sanely, not "on the edge".

They do their job well as designed, but not to exceed these norms.

Drivers with true experience and knowledge can push these vehicles to the limit, and they pretty much can feel that limit. Not suggested for your average driver.

Needs proper training in these areas and years of experience to know how and when to react to the vehicle and surface/road conditions.

Needs proper training in these areas and years of experience to know how and when to react to the vehicle and surface/road conditions.

Are you suggesting SUV drivers need special training?

If so, you're joking, right? :D

If not, that's the single biggest piece of misinformation I've ever read, well, except for

;) Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Not suggesting SUV drivers need special training. Just trying to say these vehicles handle different at high speed and aggressive sport car style driving, that's all.

Sorry if anything was miscommunicated. :D

Not suggesting SUV drivers need special training. Just trying to say these vehicles handle different at high speed and aggressive sport car style driving, that's all.

Well, every car is has it's own design criteria, and it's always a trade-off between cost, handling, comfort, load carrying ability and NVH. No point singling out SUV's though, because they simply aren't below-par these days - when you compare them to similarly priced cars, and drive them at legal'ish speeds.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

• 1 year later...

Sorry if anything was miscommunicated. biggrin.gif

Well, every car is has it's own design criteria, and it's always a trade-off between cost, handling, comfort, load carrying ability and NVH. No point singling out SUV's though, because they simply aren't below-par these days - when you compare them to similarly priced cars, and drive them at legal'ish speeds.

"Below par"?

Well - it epoends what you mean by "par"....

Most of the SUVs in Thailand are merely modified pickups and have all the problems of poor collision performance, poor handling, high CoG, old-fashioned - or rather rudimentary - design and construction and even drum brakes on the rear.

As pickups are probably the most common form of 4 wheel transport in Thailand that doesn't mean they are "below par" here.

"Below par"?

Most of the SUVs in Thailand are merely modified pickups and have all the problems of poor collision performance, poor handling, high CoG, old-fashioned - or rather rudimentary - design and construction and even drum brakes on the rear.

As pickups are probably the most common form of 4 wheel transport in Thailand that doesn't mean they are "below par" here.

He said 'not below par'. Secondly, you have dug up a thread of more than a year old.

"Below par"?

Have you been in a Coma ?smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

I am bumping up this thread to give an illustration of the arguments exchanged (there were mostly opinions exchanged, few hard facts or images). I believe this video makes the case about bigger vs smaller quite eloquently.

No wonder, here the car being t-boned is... a Honda Civic.

Definitely gave up looking for a car. biggrin.png