New Car Market For Thailand In 2011 And Beyond

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know anything about the minor changes to Honda City in Sept 2011 or the New Honda Civic?

The City minor change will no doubt follow the lead of the Jazz minor change released earlier this year, i.e. revised bumper design, and dual airbags/ABS standard across all models.

There's pics of the new Civic all over the net now - styling and packaging has taken another major detour (as seems to be normal for the Civic), and it now looks like a slightly larger version of a City, while also managing to be about as boring as an Altis. Big step backwards from the current model IMHO.

Does anyone know anything about the minor changes to Honda City in Sept 2011 or the New Honda Civic?

The City minor change will no doubt follow the lead of the Jazz minor change released earlier this year, i.e. revised bumper design, and dual airbags/ABS standard across all models.

There's pics of the new Civic all over the net now - styling and packaging has taken another major detour (as seems to be normal for the Civic), and it now looks like a slightly larger version of a City, while also managing to be about as boring as an Altis. Big step backwards from the current model IMHO.

My GF has been calling all over Thailand to find present City auto ABS 574k baht in white or red metallic, baht to no vail.

Facelift in September is 10-30k baht increase, providing airbags in all models, so 30k for todays low end and 10k baht for todays high end. New bumpers, but no clear info on new lights

My GF has been calling all over Thailand to find present City auto ABS 574k baht in white or red metallic, baht to no vail.

Facelift in September is 10-30k baht increase, providing airbags in all models, so 30k for todays low end and 10k baht for todays high end. New bumpers, but no clear info on new lights

Yep, word is the minor change will release next month..

I agree that the styling of the new Civic seems a bit boring and was hoping for a bit more whammy :rolleyes:. A more futuristic looking version of the current Civic would have been great.............as such I am thinking of saving some pennies and going for the minor change City instead!

Edited by Chewbacka

I agree that the styling of the new Civic seems a bit boring and was hoping for a bit more whammy :rolleyes:. A more futuristic looking version of the current Civic would have been great.............as such I am thinking of saving some pennies and going for the minor change City instead!

Even in minor change form, the updated City is still going to be a fairly reasonable step down from the Civic (new or current).

IMHO, the most exciting entry into the C-Segment will be the 2012 Focus, in particular the sedan version which has sharper looks and better NVH than the hatch variant. The Cruze minor change coming in November this year is also worth considering - it's based on the "Series II" version the Aussies came up with a few months back (heavily refined suspension, revised AT, and improved NVH), but will feature an upgraded range of E85 gasoline engines, and an all-new 2.2L diesel.

IMHO, the most exciting entry into the C-Segment will be the 2012 Focus, in particular the sedan version which has sharper looks and better NVH than the hatch variant. The Cruze minor change coming in November this year is also worth considering - it's based on the "Series II" version the Aussies came up with a few months back (heavily refined suspension, revised AT, and improved NVH), but will feature an upgraded range of E85 gasoline engines, and an all-new 2.2L diesel.

What about the new Camry? Any idea on what changes will be made and when it will be put in the market? Will the price change? Thanks.

What about the new Camry? Any idea on what changes will be made and when it will be put in the market? Will the price change? Thanks.

Here it is (apologies for pic quality):

2012camry.jpg

Upon initial release, engines and drivetrains will carry over from the current models, so it's more of a general refresh rather than an all-new model. Exterior is going the Lexus square edges route for better highway fuel effeciency, and the Interior will get a facelift too. Prices will increase - that's just customary - expect +20K to +50K over current models.

Latest news on the official launch date remains March 2012. There will be a new 2.5L drivetrain coming in 2013 (perhaps late 2012) with the first minor change to the new model.

Different class and price bracket to the 2012 Focus and 2011 Cruze minor change though of course.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Upon initial release, engines and drivetrains will carry over from the current models, so it's more of a general refresh rather than an all-new model. Exterior is going the Lexus square edges route for better highway fuel effeciency, and the Interior will get a facelift too. Prices will increase - that's just customary - expect +20K to +50K over current models.

Latest news on the official launch date remains March 2012. There will be a new 2.5L drivetrain coming in 2013 (perhaps late 2012) with the first minor change to the new model.

Different class and price bracket to the 2012 Focus and 2011 Cruze minor change though of course.

Thanks for that. You suggest that the engine and drivetrain in the new Camry will be changed at some point. Might this occur mid-year, before the 2013 model? Or is it more likely to come 2013 or after? Thanks again.

Thanks for that. You suggest that the engine and drivetrain in the new Camry will be changed at some point. Might this occur mid-year, before the 2013 model? Or is it more likely to come 2013 or after? Thanks again.

Most likely would be Aug-Nov 2013, but the engines will be available before then (Camry engines are not made in TH), so market pressures could bring it forward. The 2.5L drivetrain has been designed for hybrid, so we may only see this engine only in the top model in TH.

Also worth noting that when the Hybrid 2.5L version launches, it'll be getting awfully close to the 2M Baht price point, which means it's be competing practically head-on with the all-new 2012 (F30) BMW 3-series.....

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Also worth noting that when the Hybrid 2.5L version launches, it'll be getting awfully close to the 2M Baht price point, which means it's be competing practically head-on with the all-new 2012 (F30) BMW 3-series.....

Right, which is much smaller. And not a hybrid.

Right, which is much smaller. And not a hybrid.

You're thinking of the current E90 series - I'm talking about the new F30 3 series, which is growing in size and will be powered by super-effecient 4cyl turbo engines, starting at 1.6L capacity. I don't think there's any question that the rest of the car will best a Camry, so IMHO, a very real threat to Camry Hybrid once it gets within 20% of BMW prices ;)

• 1 month later...

Updates..

Chery:

2011: H13 van - released

2011: A13 sedan and hatchback - released

2011: A3 sedan and hatchback - TBC

2011: QQ22 7-seater mini MPV - TBC

2013: un-named Pickup Truck to be locally assembled

BMW:

2011: All-new 6 series - released

2012: New F30 3 series

Chevrolet:

2011: New Colorado (codename GMI700) - November release planned.

2011: Cruze minor change in November.

2011: Captiva minor change - released, but new diesel in November - TBC.

2012: All-new Colorado-based PPV (SUV)

????: New Aveo (codename T300)

Ford:

2011: New Ranger (codename T6) - October

2011: Last minor change for the Escape - released

2012: All New Escape model based on 2012 Focus platform.

2012: New Focus

2012: New Everest

2013: Fiesta minor change

Honda:

2011: Jazz minor change in February - released

2011: New BRIO Eco car (codename 2CV) - released

2011: City minor change in September.

2011: New Civic (codename 2HC) in November.

2012: New CR-V

2013: New Accord

2013: New Jazz

2014: New City

2014: Civic (2HC) minor change

Hyundai:

2011: New Sonata - released

Isuzu:

2011: New D-Max (codename RT-50) - November

2012: New RT-50 based PPV (SUV) to replace the MU-7

Land Rover:

2011: New Evoque - Oct/Nov

Mazda:

2011: New Mazda 3 - released

2012: New BT-50 (codename T6) - November

2013: New Mazda 2

2013: New MX-5

2013: New RX-x

Mercedes Benz:

2011: C-class minor change - released

2011: New SLK - released

2012: New S-Class

2012: E-class minor change

Mitsubishi:

2011: Triton minor change - released. Euro IV models in Nov/Dec

2011: Pajero Sport minor change - released. Euro IV models in Nov/Dec

2011: Lancer EX minor change - released

2012: Eco-car enters production in Sep 2011 for an early 2012 release.

2013: New Triton (Nismitsu)

Nissan:

2011: New 'Almera' March based eco-car sedan, official release October 7th

2011: Teana minor change. Oct/Nov

2012: New TIIDA

2012: New C Segment sedan (codename L12F) to compete with Corolla/Civic/3/Focus.

2013: New compact sedan (TIIDA Latio replacement)

2013: New Teana

2013: New Navara (Nismitsu)

2013: March minor change

Porsche:

2011: New 911 - released

2011: 918 Spyder - released

2011: Panamera Hybrid - released

2012: New Boxster

2012: New Cayman

2013: New Cajun SUV

Suzuki:

2012: New eco-car

Toyota:

2011: VIGO/Fortuner minor change - released. Euro IV versions in Nov/Dec

2011: New Yaris / Vios - TBC

2012: New Camry.

2013: New ALTIS.

2014: New Hilux (codename IMV2)

2014: Eco-car project under consideration

Good update. Do you know if the new Ford Escape will be available in diesel?

No real info on this, but the engines will most likely be shared with the 2012 Focus (where the Escape gets it's platform from), so a diesel version would be expected for the Thai market.

Video related:

That would get my attention as a buyer , and would be a "home run." so long as the price was significantly less than the Captiva.

It seems that Chevrolet are going forward with the new engines in the Colorado. Have you got any updated power out put figures for them yet?

Also will the new 2.2 Ranger double cab be in the lower end of the road tax bracket, 1000THB for single cabs to 7000Thb for double cabs and engines above 2.5 or am I reading it wrong?

It seems that Chevrolet are going forward with the new engines in the Colorado. Have you got any updated power out put figures for them yet?

Also will the new 2.2 Ranger double cab be in the lower end of the road tax bracket, 1000THB for single cabs to 7000Thb for double cabs and engines above 2.5 or am I reading it wrong?

The latest on the Colorado is that it will be launching with 2.5L and 2.8L engines. The 2.8L power figures stand as previously quoted (200HP), but no-one's been able to get me any info on the 2.5L yet - it could be they are going to carry-over the existing Isuzu engine then launch the 2.2L at a later time, or that the 2.2L originally discussed has been replaced by a higher capacity unit.

It appears the base Ranger double-cab will be the 6MT 2.2L starting in the high 600's (before rebate).

It also looks like Mazda will have a base-spec double-cab BT-50 5MT 2.2L for around 500K.

Haven't done the math on road tax as yet, but 2.2L will be marginally cheaper than 2.5L, but no way down to single-cab prices.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The latest on the Colorado is that it will be launching with 2.5L and 2.8L engines. The 2.8L power figures stand as previously quoted (200HP), but no-one's been able to get me any info on the 2.5L yet - it could be they are going to carry-over the existing Isuzu engine then launch the 2.2L at a later time, or that the 2.2L originally discussed has been replaced by a higher capacity unit.

It appears the base Ranger double-cab will be the 6MT 2.2L starting in the high 600's (before rebate).

It also looks like Mazda will have a base-spec double-cab BT-50 5MT 2.2L for around 500K.

Haven't done the math on road tax as yet, but 2.2L will be marginally cheaper than 2.5L, but no way down to single-cab prices.

Hey Mr Moon, how reliable is your information? The reason I ask is because it is very different to what I've been told recently in regards to the new D-Max, Ranger and BT-50.

Isuzu told me the new D-Max will be released in the next couple of weeks, Ranger end of November and BT-50 not until Jan 2012 which is quite a bit different to your updated post earlier.

And how can Ford's base 2.2 Double Cab cost around 680,000baht while Mazda'a base 2.2 double cab be only 500,000 baht?!

Hey Mr Moon, how reliable is your information? The reason I ask is because it is very different to what I've been told recently in regards to the new D-Max, Ranger and BT-50.

Isuzu told me the new D-Max will be released in the next couple of weeks, Ranger end of November and BT-50 not until Jan 2012 which is quite a bit different to your updated post earlier.

And how can Ford's base 2.2 Double Cab cost around 680,000baht while Mazda'a base 2.2 double cab be only 500,000 baht?!

Well, there's release dates, and then the date that actual customer deliveries start, and they're rarely the same - especially in Thailand. Rest assured that all new model pickups will be released at or before the Nov Motor Expo, and all brands will be taking bookings there though. Thai's are accustomed to waiting months for their cars..

Pricing info is taken from the (leaked) excise tax dept docs - which may not contain every variant that will ultimately be released and doesn't contain any spec - so the base Mazda 4-door could be cab/chassis, and the base Ford 4-door at launch might be the XLS, not the XL.

As for general accuracy of my "what's coming" posts - usually pretty good, but plans do change (e.g. Chev not launching the Colorado with the 2.2L diesel, Yairs/Vios delayed etc). If you go back to the start of this one and the previous one's I've posted here, you'll see I've been pretty much on the money - However I make no promises - I don't own these companies :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hi MRO, what do you know about the minor change for the honda city? I saw a few pics on the net but not sure if its really the update we will get.

It's a pretty minor, minor change. The front grille is now chrome, front/rear bumpers have been (mildly) updated, there's new alloy wheel designs, and slightly changed tail lights (now 2 white stripes instead of 1).

It will also most likely get dual airbags as standard across the range (as per Jazz minor change), but this is not yet confirmed.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hi MRO, what do you know about the minor change for the honda city? I saw a few pics on the net but not sure if its really the update we will get.

It's a pretty minor, minor change. The front grille is now chrome, front/rear bumpers have been (mildly) updated, there's new alloy wheel designs, and slightly changed tail lights (now 2 white stripes instead of 1).

It will also most likely get dual airbags as standard across the range (as per Jazz minor change), but this is not yet confirmed.

Thanks, are there any official photos available yet? When will it be available in showrooms? Thanks:)

Thanks, are there any official photos available yet? When will it be available in showrooms? Thanks:)

Nothing official that I've seen, no. But the brochures have already gone to the printers, so it won't be long before they surface somewhere online ;)

Release is imminent - but no date announced yet - my guess is when inventory levels of the outgoing model have dwindled enough.

Nothing official that I've seen, no. But the brochures have already gone to the printers, so it won't be long before they surface somewhere online ;)

Release is imminent - but no date announced yet - my guess is when inventory levels of the outgoing model have dwindled enough.

A little searching just dug up a brochure on goaonwheels.com. I can see the new grill but not liking it that much. However the interior has different sear material. I won't post the full link here, but it easy to access:)

A little searching just dug up a brochure on goaonwheels.com. I can see the new grill but not liking it that much. However the interior has different sear material. I won't post the full link here, but it easy to access:)

hehe, there you go :)

Only thing is that that is the version for India, but I guess that the Thai version will be close to it.

hehe, there you go :)

Only thing is that that is the version for India, but I guess that the Thai version will be close to it.

Had a look at that site, and can't see anything that stands out as being different to the Thai model...