Yellow Book

After trying to get a yellow book for over a month now I think I will give up.On enquiring for this mystical little book,we where told by the local office to get certain documents translated into Thai and come back.3,000 baht later plus a 78klm trip to Kon Kaen we visit our local office again with our translated and stamped documents.Guess what not good enough wrong stamp, the majic stamp these lazy so and so's want is in guess where of course Bangkok why in this country is the only stamp in existance in bloody Bangkok.Now I,ll let you in on another secret went to a party yesterday at my best friends house 100klms away,he's a aussie like me just built a house the party was a house warming a lady turns up takes documents off him that had no majic stamp leaves comes back hour and a half later with his yellow book,PRICE 1,500 BAHT AND HE DIDNT LEAVE HOME AND WAS DONE ON A SUNDAY AH AMAZING THAILAND.Wish she worked in my area .I try to do it legally allready 3000 baht out of pocket now a trip to Bangkok on top of that if I even bother no doubt if I go get the magic stamp something else will be wrong.Seem to be their way if they find things wrong you'll give up.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the stamp you need is from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that is what makes a translation of a foreign document legal by law in Thailand and is a normal requirement when providing documents to a District Office (paper from your Embassy to allow marriage is a good example as is registration of a foreign marriage). Normally a local law firm can take care of such paperwork without the need for you to travel to Bangkok (if that is what is required).

The firm we used had initials EEC and assured us their stamp would be ok but it wasn't really dont want to fork out for a law firm because if their stamp differs from this Bangkok one I would say I'll get the same result not good enough go to Bangkok

If the stamp you need is from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that is what makes a translation of a foreign document legal by law in Thailand and is a normal requirement when providing documents to a District Office (paper from your Embassy to allow marriage is a good example as is registration of a foreign marriage). Normally a local law firm can take care of such paperwork without the need for you to travel to Bangkok (if that is what is required).

it isn't expensive for a local translator to handle to courier to send the docs to the MFA in Bangkok for the 'magical stamp'.

No need for you to go down to BKK.

Just like everything else in Thailand, if you can't/don't have time to do it yourself, hire a courier for a couple of hundred baht to do it for you.

Simple.

Once again the inconsistencies of Thailand abound.......I got mine with a short trip to the amphur with the wife, 20 minutes later walked out with the Yellow book all sorted. 200 baht I think we paid. :)

Edited by CharlieH

When I got my Yellow Book the guy handling the paper work showed me 'The Bible'. That is the Amphurs very own book of rules detailing the issuing of just about every document under the Thai sun. He said that every Amphur had one so even though he had never issued a Yellow Book to a farang before he just followed the process detailed in The Book and in a short space of time I was handed my house book free of charge.

I went to immigration to get my documents done to apply for a Thai driving license. The officer told me that with this document, valid for three month only (as far as I remember) I can also apply for the yellow house book. So went to the amphur with my wife and asked for the yellow house book. They spoke a lot and told me that this is the last yellow house book they have and therefore they charged me 1500 Baht. No further documents or issues. Next day in my favorite bar I told my friends that I obtained the last yellow house book and that I'm happy about this. I had to learn that the amphur sold lots of "the last yellow house book" with different charges, I paid most.... it ought to be free of charge.

TIT fatfather

When I got my Yellow Book the guy handling the paper work showed me 'The Bible'. That is the Amphurs very own book of rules detailing the issuing of just about every document under the Thai sun. He said that every Amphur had one so even though he had never issued a Yellow Book to a farang before he just followed the process detailed in The Book and in a short space of time I was handed my house book free of charge.

So much depends on where you live.

My Amphur has the book of rules though AFAIK according to my wife they have never issued one up here.

They had me running down and up to BKK and after about 6 weeks it was approved.

I had gone to the UK embassy and used an agency for the translations and the stuff for the MFA which they then posted to me at home.

I had to do that twice as I asked him through my wife exactly what he wanted and that's what I got but it wasn't enough for him.

You need this and this and this he said.

My instant reply was I got what YOU asked for with a silent (asshol_e) and my wife is now looking daggers at me for upsetting the guy.

So a couple of weeks later I went back to BKK and did it again.

I gave the Amphur the originals and copies and as he was going to give me the book I asked for the originals.

Cannot he said, we have to keep.

You didn't keep my passport of Thai driving licence so if you really want the originals you must pay me 10,000 baht for my costs or I keep everything and you keep the yellow book. I didn't tell him I was going to BKK anyway for something else.

So saying I picked up all my paperwork and he was on the phone to his boss.

OK, no problem he said.

So I got my yellow book but it was hard work.

Q.Yellow Book, why so hard to get ?

A. Because it is only issued to Farangs

Correction: it is only issued to foreigners without permanent resident status.

...and once obtained, what are the precise advantages over not having one?

I already have, in my own name and at my own Thai address:

(1) Thai Driving licence - second five year extension coming up next November;

(2) Thai Bank Account(s)

(3) Post paid mobile telephone account (DTAC)

(4) internet account (Hutch)

(5) admission to some so-called attractions and National Parks/Museums/Relics at Thai price :rolleyes:

...all on the back of the free / hassle free Letter of Residence from Immigration and subsequently, Thai Driving Licence as proof of existence. Can somebody post a list of the things I can only get by having this yellow book?

I'm retired, so don't possess a work permit.

When I asked for a yellow book, my local amphur decided to give me the runaround, too, or take smoothing money.

I walked out minus book, and to this day wonder what I'm missing. :whistling:

(2) Thai Bank Account(s)

(5) admission to some so-called attractions and National Parks/Museums/Relics at Thai price :rolleyes:

...all on the back of the free / hassle free Letter of Residence from Immigration and subsequently, Thai Driving Licence as proof of existence. Can somebody post a list of the things I can only get by having this yellow book?

When I asked for a yellow book, my local amphur decided to give me the runaround, too, or take smoothing money.

Absolutely, what really are the benefits of having a yellow book? I, too, am retired and was given the runaround by both the MFA in Bangkok and my local amphur when I tried unsuccessfully to obtain this hallowed document 2 years ago. Since then I've also managed to open bank accounts and be granted at least 1 annual extension of stay to date by Immigration without one. There seems to me little point in going through all the hassle of obtaining a yellow book if, in the end, it lands up at the bottom of some drawer never to be seen again this side of the next millennium......

If you are a retiree then perhaps it is not worthwhile if you are made to jump through hoops for it. However, if you are married to a Thai but do not have permanent residence (PR), you will need the yellow book if you wish to apply for Thai citizenship.

Some poeple have also claimed they received a "gold" health card for universal health care when they got their yellow books. However, I believe that any such cards issued were issued in error.

I will go for mine later this year when I move into my new house. The blue book will be in my son's name as home owner. Hopefully, because I am in Bangkok it should not be a problem.

(2) Thai Bank Account(s)

Absolutely, what really are the benefits of having a yellow book? I, too, am retired and was given the runaround by both the MFA in Bangkok and my local amphur when I tried unsuccessfully to obtain this hallowed document 2 years ago. Since then I've also managed to open bank accounts and be granted at least 1 annual extension of stay to date by Immigration without one. There seems to me little point in going through all the hassle of obtaining a yellow book if, in the end, it lands up at the bottom of some drawer never to be seen again this side of the next millennium......

In many cases it is very easy to obtain at no cost. If too much hassle/cost etc, then not worth bothering, as you state.

The only commonly mentioned advantage other than supporting a Thai citizenship application, the yellow book holder can also purchase a car or truck in his own name.

May be handy if the wife takes the house and land and turfs you out, at least you can drive away in YOUR OWN car!

The only commonly mentioned advantage other than supporting a Thai citizenship application, the yellow book holder can also purchase a car or truck in his own name.

May be handy if the wife takes the house and land and turfs you out, at least you can drive away in YOUR OWN car!

You do not need to hold a yellow book to buy a car. What is needed is proof of address, the yellow book is only one way to proof your address. There are several other options.

In many cases it is very easy to obtain at no cost. If too much hassle/cost etc, then not worth bothering, as you state.

Having one to start the paperwork trail in applying for citizenship is the 'quantifiable' benefit. That was the main reason we got it for my wife.

The unquantifiable benefits are there too though:

- Most Thai's only need to flash an ID card and copy of their blue book to get whatever service they need in Thailand that requires ID.

- In my wife's experience, having the Passport and Yellow Book seems to be the equivalent, after which no more questions are asked for other bits of superfluous paperwork that may cause extra leg work to get, especially if you don't have them(eg Work Permit, letter from embassy/MFA etc etc).

So true, you can 'live' without one for sure. But having a yellow book, from our three plus years of having one, does seem to knock any opportunity for obstructionism on its head.

Went with my wife to the local land registry here in Chiang Mai and l had a yellow book within 15 minutes and it was free. No repeat visits and my wife just took along the blue book and her id. I just gave them a copy of my passport. I suppose it all depends on where you live as all land registry offices seem to have different rules

You do not need to hold a yellow book to buy a car. What is needed is proof of address, the yellow book is only one way to proof your address. There are several other options.

However most of the other options come at a cost. In ChiangMai 500 baht and a wasted morning or afternoon at immigration every time you want to do anything new at the motor transport office. Or a letter from the embassy which involves about the same cost and sometimes a trip to Bangkok. Of course those that have a work permit can use it but it is not for those on Retirement visas. I have had to buy 5 letters in the last 18 months, if this 2500baht can be saved I can think of many uses for it.

Edited by harrry

Went with my wife to the local land registry here in Chiang Mai and l had a yellow book within 15 minutes and it was free. No repeat visits and my wife just took along the blue book and her id. I just gave them a copy of my passport. I suppose it all depends on where you live as all land registry offices seem to have different rules

Are you sure it was the land office? Believe home register is a function of District Office as is about people rather than land.

I don't no why some offices make it so hard to get a Yellow Book. I got mine here in Bangkok during the first month I retired to Thailand. One visit to the khet/district office with the Thai wife and a Thai friend, all required documents in hand, about 1.5 hours visit, primarily dealt with one official handling our paperwork, a quick 2 minutes visit to his supervisor to initial off in a few places, paid the book issue fee of around a 100 baht or less (can't really remember, but it was really a low fee), and I was walking out of the office with Yellow Book in hand at the end of that 1.5 hour visit. No tea money involved. I was expecting a hard time or rejection, but it didn't happen.

(1) Thai Driving licence - since 1992

(2) Thai Bank Account(s)

(3) Post paid mobile telephone account (AIS)

(4) internet account (CAT)

(5) admission to some so-called attractions and National Parks/Museums/Relics at Thai price ????

(6) thai car and motorcyle in my name

I do not have a yellow book and when i owned my house i had my name in the back of the blue book as residing at the house.

Now i sold the house but I just keep copies of the blue book for the future.

had all the above since way before i ever owned a house

If you are a retiree then perhaps it is not worthwhile if you are made to jump through hoops for it. However, if you are married to a Thai but do not have permanent residence (PR), you will need the yellow book if you wish to apply for Thai citizenship.

Some poeple have also claimed they received a "gold" health card for universal health care when they got their yellow books. However, I believe that any such cards issued were issued in error.

I will go for mine later this year when I move into my new house. The blue book will be in my son's name as home owner. Hopefully, because I am in Bangkok it should not be a problem.

Yes, you do need to be on a tabien baan in order to apply for Thai citizenship. Men with Thai wives and earning at least B40k per month from a job in Thailand and with three years' worth of tax receipts are eligible.

The gold health cards were originally given to every one on a tabien baan, including foreigners and the first issue was sent out automatically. However the rules have changed recently and they are no longer issued to foreigners. Some one must have twigged that a lot of foreigners are getting on tabien baans since the 2008 Civil Registration Act obliged district offices to register all foreigners living in their districts and changed the rules. I don't know that does for stateless people with yellow books - probably cuts them off from healthcare entirely, if they are not in the Social Security Fund as employees. I learned that I am apparently grandfathered into the scheme, as I was on a tabien baan when it was introduced, although I don't remember even receiving my gold card and they are not allowed to issue me a replacement as a foreigner. However, with my alien book and tabien baan I can get free health care at a government hospital, as they all have access to the house registration database. Nice to know, in case I can't afford insurance in future, although my two visits to government hospitals were not too encouraging.

Edited by Arkady

Yes, you do need to be on a tabien baan in order to apply for Thai citizenship. Men with Thai wives and earning at least B40k per month from a job in Thailand and with three years' worth of tax receipts are eligible.

The gold health cards were originally given to every one on a tabien baan, including foreigners and the first issue was sent out automatically. However the rules have changed recently and they are no longer issued to foreigners. Some one must have twigged that a lot of foreigners are getting on tabien baans since the 2008 Civil Registration Act obliged district offices to register all foreigners living in their districts and changed the rules. I don't know that does for stateless people with yellow books - probably cuts them off from healthcare entirely, if they are not in the Social Security Fund as employees. I learned that I am apparently grandfathered into the scheme, as I was on a tabien baan when it was introduced, although I don't remember even receiving my gold card and they are not allowed to issue me a replacement as a foreigner. However, with my alien book and tabien baan I can get free health care at a government hospital, as they all have access to the house registration database. Nice to know, in case I can't afford insurance in future, although my two visits to government hospitals were not too encouraging.

Do you mean the "30 bht card"? If so I was recently given one about 4 months ago. Here on a multi entry non-o and have my own Yellow Book.

Like you not too impressed by Govt hospitals and make my own health care provision anyway.

I don't no why some offices make it so hard to get a Yellow Book. I got mine here in Bangkok during the first month I retired to Thailand. One visit to the khet/district office with the Thai wife and a Thai friend, all required documents in hand, about 1.5 hours visit, primarily dealt with one official handling our paperwork, a quick 2 minutes visit to his supervisor to initial off in a few places, paid the book issue fee of around a 100 baht or less (can't really remember, but it was really a low fee), and I was walking out of the office with Yellow Book in hand at the end of that 1.5 hour visit. No tea money involved. I was expecting a hard time or rejection, but it didn't happen.

...now you've got the 'holy grail' yellow book, I'm interested to hear to what uses you have put it?

What bureaucratic doors have been opened, what regulatory barriers lifted (that couldn't have otherwise been opened by other proof's of identity)? :ermm:

...now you've got the 'holy grail' yellow book, I'm interested to hear to what uses you have put it?

What bureaucratic doors have been opened, what regulatory barriers lifted (that couldn't have otherwise been opened by other proof's of identity)? :ermm:

Long thread and curiously running wild. :blink: don't know how the geezer got a blue book on here, porkies comes to mind.

The reason I got a yellow book in Sukhothai was because the police here wanted money every year I needed a letter for 1 year extension to stay, for proof of address, so my wife and I went to the local government offices they gave us the letter for immigration free of charge saying the police must be mistaken for wanting to charge. :whistling:

The only extra thing that was required for me to obtain a yellow book was a letter from the British Embassy confirming my passport being authentic and true. 1,400 bht. :annoyed:

A quick visit to the main Sukhothai Government offices and picked up the book the following week.

Immigration have a copy of the book on file and don't want copies any more, well not so far.:lol: