Yellow Book

If you are a retiree then perhaps it is not worthwhile if you are made to jump through hoops for it. However, if you are married to a Thai but do not have permanent residence (PR), you will need the yellow book if you wish to apply for Thai citizenship.

Some poeple have also claimed they received a "gold" health card for universal health care when they got their yellow books. However, I believe that any such cards issued were issued in error.

I will go for mine later this year when I move into my new house. The blue book will be in my son's name as home owner. Hopefully, because I am in Bangkok it should not be a problem.

Yes, you do need to be on a tabien baan in order to apply for Thai citizenship. Men with Thai wives and earning at least B40k per month from a job in Thailand and with three years' worth of tax receipts are eligible.

Yes, the gold card is the same thing as the 30 baht card and people still call it that but the Surayud government made it free and the admin cost of collecting the 30 baht was more than 30 baht. Maybe its still available to foreigners in other district offices. I am only going on what my district office in Bangkok told me.

The gold health cards were originally given to every one on a tabien baan, including foreigners and the first issue was sent out automatically. However the rules have changed recently and they are no longer issued to foreigners. Some one must have twigged that a lot of foreigners are getting on tabien baans since the 2008 Civil Registration Act obliged district offices to register all foreigners living in their districts and changed the rules. I don't know that does for stateless people with yellow books - probably cuts them off from healthcare entirely, if they are not in the Social Security Fund as employees. I learned that I am apparently grandfathered into the scheme, as I was on a tabien baan when it was introduced, although I don't remember even receiving my gold card and they are not allowed to issue me a replacement as a foreigner. However, with my alien book and tabien baan I can get free health care at a government hospital, as they all have access to the house registration database. Nice to know, in case I can't afford insurance in future, although my two visits to government hospitals were not too encouraging.

Do you mean the "30 bht card"? If so I was recently given one about 4 months ago. Here on a multi entry non-o and have my own Yellow Book.

Like you not too impressed by Govt hospitals and make my own health care provision anyway.

Yes, its the same as the 30 baht card but its now free as the Sarayud government decided the admin cost of collecting the 30 baht was more than 30 baht. It's worth keeping in your back pocket for a rainy day but most of the government hospitals are effectively bankrupt as a result of the scheme which is not properly funded by the government and therefore you cannot expect wonderful service or treatment.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't no why some offices make it so hard to get a Yellow Book. I got mine here in Bangkok during the first month I retired to Thailand. One visit to the khet/district office with the Thai wife and a Thai friend, all required documents in hand, about 1.5 hours visit, primarily dealt with one official handling our paperwork, a quick 2 minutes visit to his supervisor to initial off in a few places, paid the book issue fee of around a 100 baht or less (can't really remember, but it was really a low fee), and I was walking out of the office with Yellow Book in hand at the end of that 1.5 hour visit. No tea money involved. I was expecting a hard time or rejection, but it didn't happen.

...now you've got the 'holy grail' yellow book, I'm interested to hear to what uses you have put it?

What bureaucratic doors have been opened, what regulatory barriers lifted (that couldn't have otherwise been opened by other proof's of identity)? :ermm:

Long thread and curiously running wild. :blink: don't know how the geezer got a blue book on here, porkies comes to mind.

The reason I got a yellow book in Sukhothai was because the police here wanted money every year I needed a letter for 1 year extension to stay, for proof of address, so my wife and I went to the local government offices they gave us the letter for immigration free of charge saying the police must be mistaken for wanting to charge. :whistling:

The only extra thing that was required for me to obtain a yellow book was a letter from the British Embassy confirming my passport being authentic and true. 1,400 bht. :annoyed:

A quick visit to the main Sukhothai Government offices and picked up the book the following week.

Immigration have a copy of the book on file and don't want copies any more, well not so far.:lol:

I know at least one farang who is not a PR and is on his wife's blue book. I don't think he asked for that but that is what his district office issued, maybe to save a book as they are free. I don't know of any advantage to having a blue book over a yellow one. They count equally as proof of address and I believe both count towards your period of residence when assessed for points if applying for Thai citizenship on the basis being married to a female Thai citizen. The only possible advantage of a blue book may that that Thais are more familiar with the blue ones but they look the same apart from the colour and the TR13 designation instead of TR14 and I never heard of any problem encountered by some one using a yellow book. I don't think a district office will issue a blue book with a foreigner who is not a PR as householder but they may have flexibility for other inhabitants of the house.

I've just heard of the Yellow Book, which seems to be easy to get in our District. I also wonder what real advantages, if any, it offers to me (retired).

There's one possible advantage that might be quite big. The good expensive Bangkok hospitals charge higher prices for foreigners, so the Yellow Book could easily pay for itself in medical treatment.

Can anyone confirm that such hospitals accept the Yellow book as proof of residency for charging patients the Thai price? (And by the way, does anyone know the approximate surcharge for foreigners charged by Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospitals?)

I got my yellow book within 30 minutes. The wife took the blue book , filled in some forms, I signed, showed my passport and had a copy made for them , then I was issued the yellow tabian Ban book.

I was told though that the book was only valid until my visa ran out and when I got a new visa I had to return to get the yellow book updated.

I was told though that the book was only valid until my visa ran out and when I got a new visa I had to return to get the yellow book updated.

That's interesting... another wrinkle in the yellow book blanket! I will pop in past the amphur when I am home next month with my new passport and visa and see if he reckons it needs updating.

For Dah farang who has either been denied one or thinks it's much ado about nothing; in my case no "bureaucratic doors have been opened" or "regulatory barriers lifted" but as stated before, it has been accepted as a proof of where you live and reduced a paper chase. For example, in Udon, a foreigner applying for a Thai driving license at the local LTO had to take a trip to Immigration in Nongkhai to get a letter of residence that the LTO south of Udon would accept. Pretty much a day wasted with the waiting at each end of the long drive. However, the LTO accepts the yellow book as proof of where you live so a Thai DL can be had within a few hours.

It's not a great empowering document but it's a handy one. It's just a pity that most amphurs are ignorant of the procedures and piss so many people off. The Udon amphur issues them but if you come under the jurisdiction of the Nong Bua Lamphu amphur, less than an hour west, you can forget about it.

I've just heard of the Yellow Book, which seems to be easy to get in our District. I also wonder what real advantages, if any, it offers to me (retired).

There's one possible advantage that might be quite big. The good expensive Bangkok hospitals charge higher prices for foreigners, so the Yellow Book could easily pay for itself in medical treatment.

Can anyone confirm that such hospitals accept the Yellow book as proof of residency for charging patients the Thai price? (And by the way, does anyone know the approximate surcharge for foreigners charged by Bumrungrad or Bangkok Hospitals?)

I would be interested in a source for that dual price information as it is not what I have found to be the case. Top line hospitals are expensive for everyone.

...I was told though that the book was only valid until my visa ran out and when I got a new visa I had to return to get the yellow book updated.

Did you arrive in Thailand with a tourist visa and have permission to stay for 60 days, or did you arrive with a non-immigrant visa and have permission to stay for 90 days?

At any rate, I can't see how the validity period of the visa enters into it, since this validity is for travel to Thailand, not for staying in Thailand.

...It's not a great empowering document but it's a handy one. It's just a pity that most amphurs are ignorant of the procedures and piss so many people off. The Udon amphur issues them but if you come under the jurisdiction of the Nong Bua Lamphu amphur, less than an hour west, you can forget about it.

Who is the immediate superior of the amphoe chief, ie the person to whom one would make a complaint if refused the yellow book? Is it the provincial governor?

My amphur Doi Saket sends me a letter very year asking that I drop by and verify that I am living at my recorded address to keep my yellow book active. I have been doing this for numerous years. I give them a copy of my passport and extension to stay stamp bases on retirement and a copy of my next report date for immigration, my wife gives a copy of her ID and blue house book. There is a form in Thai that is filled out, basically the address three times, dated and signed. There is no updated information inserted into my yellow book. Yes sir, every year.

Good question. I think one should inquire with the DOPA (department of provincial administration.

www.dopa.go.th

Edit: they have a call center for this kind of questions: http://www.dopa.go.th/callcenter1548/index.php

But maybe the government call center, 1111, will also deal with these kind of questions

Edited by Mario2008

I would be interested in a source for that dual price information as it is not what I have found to be the case. Top line hospitals are expensive for everyone.

Perhaps it's only anecdotal, but more than one employee of Bangkok Hospital told me they used dual pricing. Googling just now, the first hit is a thread (Does Bumrungrad Have Dual Pricing For Thai And Farang?) in this very forum, where the clearest post states "bumrungrad makes discount card(*) available to residents only. have to show passport with a one year visa"

On one visit to Bangkok Hospital I half-jokingly showed admission my Thai driver's license and asked if that would get me Thai price. They specifically answered that house registration document was needed. I didn't know about "the yellow book" then and didn't inquire further.

(* - Does that mean Thais without discount card pay the same price as foreigners? No idea.)

Edited by singburisam

And as you clearly stated you do not have to be Thai to obtain a discount card - I have done so at another hospital and did not need to show any paperwork (and they claim card is only available to Thai). From bills of a Thai neighbor for emergency heart treatment at Bangkok Hospital (over a million baht) do not believe it would have cost me more. You may always have incidents, approved or not, but do not believe it is general policy at all.

And as you clearly stated you do not have to be Thai to obtain a discount card - I have done so at another hospital and did not need to show any paperwork (and they claim card is only available to Thai). From bills of a Thai neighbor for emergency heart treatment at Bangkok Hospital (over a million baht) do not believe it would have cost me more. You may always have incidents, approved or not, but do not believe it is general policy at all.

::confused:: What I clearly stated is that Bangkok Hospital did imply they have dual pricing:

... On one visit to Bangkok Hospital I half-jokingly showed admission my Thai driver's license and asked if that would get me Thai price. They specifically answered that house registration document was needed. I didn't know about "the yellow book" then and didn't inquire further.

Bumrungrad and Bangkok might have different policies. I agree that many hospitals, including the best one, in the North Central region do not have dual pricing.

What I would like, instead of confused and conflicting anecdotes, is a report from "the horse's mouth." Surely someone in this forum has a friend or relative who works in billing for a major Bangkok hospital like Bumrungrad or Bangkok.

Bangkok Hospital does NOT have a double standard -- all nationals pay the same.

I don't know whether it would be more charitable to assume "nationals" was a typo for "nationalities" or the opposite. In the former case, would it be rude to ask why you felt no need to cite your evidence?

With Google one can find anecdotes of double pricing by Bangkok Hospital; e.g. from another forum

I need an MRI scan on my shoulder, the only local hospital with a MRI scanner is the Pattaya Bangkok hospital. I had the wife call them and explain what was needed and was quoted a price of 12,600 baht, so she proceeded to make an appointment for me. All was fine till she had to give my full name, there was a short silence and they then asked if I was Farang? the Mrs answered yes but what has that to do with anything, she was then told that being the case the price would be 18,800 baht for the scan.

My Lass was incredulous and asked if there was something so different between my shoulder and that of a Thais and she was informed that was not the case but there was a two tier pricing system in the hospital :unsure: they are not joking, a 33% difference :wacko:

She then called the hospital in Siricha the next nearest with a MRI scanner, explained the situation again and was quoted the sum of 9,300 baht. The lass then asked the question as to if that was the same for everybody, as her husband was a foreigner. The spokesman said there is but one price and that is the one we had been given! Guess where I am going :D

(I assume by Pattaya Bangkok hospital, this poster refers to the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital which is a branch of Bangkok Hospital.)

One might argue that foreigners receive different or better service, but that wasn't the question posed. As I stated earlier 2 or more employees of Bangkok Hospital implied to me that they practiced dual pricing.

Sorry to disrupt a thread about Yellow Books, but for someone to claim with no evidence whatsoever that the Hospital does not practice dual pricing is annoying. I'm of the opposite disposition: I have evidence, but still seek a more informed opinion, if such is available in this forum.

(And the question is very relevant to the "Yellow Book" as getting Thai price for a major medical procedure might be the biggest argument for obtaining the Yellow Book.)

^ But getting 'Thai price' may mean getting 'Thai service'... or using 'Thai parts'.

I seriously doubt that a Yellow Book will guarantee a better pricing policy anywhere, be it a hospital or even getting the bloody thing itself. It's supposed to be free; mine was but I bunged the chap a hah loy because he needed a bit of pushing to get it done. In my previous post, it was accepted at an LTO without the need for a letter from Immigration. This may not be the case for all LTO's. Some people were enabled in buying a car in their own name with it, others didn't need it. Since half the amphurs are ignorant of it's use and how to issue it, there must be a higher percentage of Thai people in administrative positions who wouldn't even have a clue what it is.

It is only a document that may be accepted as a proof of residential address by some people and some entities; that is all. If you can get one, well done. If you can't, don't worry too much.

My amphur Doi Saket sends me a letter very year asking that I drop by and verify that I am living at my recorded address to keep my yellow book active. I have been doing this for numerous years. I give them a copy of my passport and extension to stay stamp bases on retirement and a copy of my next report date for immigration, my wife gives a copy of her ID and blue house book. There is a form in Thai that is filled out, basically the address three times, dated and signed. There is no updated information inserted into my yellow book. Yes sir, every year.

Interesting. I got my yellow book in Khet Talingchan, Bangkok over two years ago. Still living at the same address as when I got the yellow book...I have never got such a letter. Interesting how policies vary from office to office.

Edited by Pib

The Thai wife and I use the same hospital network which is Thonburi Hospital here in Bangkok. Same prices...same discounts like getting 20% off on annual exams during the Queen's birthday month of Aug, etc. Treated exactly the same in terms of medical service and pricing. And Thonburi don't have a clue I have a yellow book. Same prices for everyone.

Edited by Pib

I have a Yellow Book from Nonthaburi and there is no expiry date, it is not linked to my visa in any way shape or form.

To those going on about Hospitals, I just went with my wife, my passport and driving license and got registered at 2 Government Hospitals not private ones. I recently had a Vaseovasectomy (Reversal), and paid the price of under 6000 baht (yes six thousand baht) for it, so no double pricing there.

I have a Yellow Book from Nonthaburi and there is no expiry date, it is not linked to my visa in any way shape or form.

To those going on about Hospitals, I just went with my wife, my passport and driving license and got registered at 2 Government Hospitals not private ones. I recently had a Vaseovasectomy (Reversal), and paid the price of under 6000 baht (yes six thousand baht) for it, so no double pricing there.

Alrighty!!!...starting the baby making process again...sincere good luck...maybe you'll have twins.;)

Done mine with my wife, got all the documents they required. Two visits in all. No backhanders nothing, just a nice smile to the boss at the Office.

exactly the same here....no issues at all....not even asking for tea money

second visit included a little chit-chat with the mayor at the local amphoe (10 mins max)

"have a coke and a smile and &lt;deleted&gt;" <-------- worked good for me :)

Edited by Ricci

Interesting. I got my yellow book in Khet Talingchan, Bangkok over two years ago. Still living at the same address as when I got the yellow book...I have never got such a letter. Interesting how policies vary from office to office.

The Civil Registration Act does require district offices to cancel tabien baans of foreigners without PR, if they no longer have valid visas. Doi Saket seems to be taking this quite seriously. If you turned up with a tourist visa instead of a retirement extension, they would cancel your yellow book. I think khets in Bangkok are too busy to bother with such formalities.

I'm sitting in Bangkok hospital-Chanthaburi writing this. I walked over to billing and asked if farangs has the pay more. The answer was " yes"

There is also numerous ad's for discount cards, and one of the says only for Thai's.

I know Samjetiv <SP> advertises on the sign on road " no foregeiner surcharge"

My yellow book was issued in Khet Talingchan, Bangkok, just down the road from Nonthaburi. No expiration date on my yellow book either (I just looked at it again...so did the Thai wife)...and no mention of any link to any visa....when I got the yellow book I was on a retirement visa and been in the country only about two weeks. During the application process a copy of the passport with retirement visa was part of the documentation. About a month ago the Khet office sent us a letter saying the house numbers in our moobaan was going to be renumbered, so bring your tabien baan (i.e., blue book) to the office to get the new house number/address issued. I went along with the wife who took the blue book and I took along my yellow book. They issued the new house number, which basically changed our house address, and updated both our blue book and my yellow book with the new address (they ink stamped in the address change along with khet official initials...whole new books or a new page was not created). So, I figure if the yellow book required yearly renewal, even if there was some expiration date only reflected in their computer database, they would have spotted it/raised the issue as the yellow book was now 2.5 years old from the issued date.

I'm sitting in Bangkok hospital-Chanthaburi writing this. I walked over to billing and asked if farangs has the pay more. The answer was " yes"

There is also numerous ad's for discount cards, and one of the says only for Thai's.

I know Samjetiv <SP> advertises on the sign on road " no foregeiner surcharge"

Change hospitals.