Toyota Hilux Parked For 2 Years

Klarre

And your tale about a Television program on how ' they ' tackle an old find, doesn't mean they are correct or use the correct approach. From your words, their approach wouldn't be mine. :)

No, of course not. It depends on the car and the circumstances. But it does illustrate that not all gas goes bad, tires develop flat spots, etc.. just from a few years of storage.

If the gas was leaded then perhaps fine. IF the tyres did not deflate then perhaps fine but here we are talking LOS. :)

LOS doesn't make the tires deflate more than normal.. but I'd agree if they lost pressure damage could be an issue. But I wouldn't assume damage. I'd inflate them to normal pressure, inspect, and then drive them.. All I'm saying is don't assume all tires will go bad.

I've had no issues with unleaded premium going bad.. normally when I put a car up I add Stabil, fill the tank, run it a bit, and then put it up that way. I'll change the fuel after longer them 3-4 years, but it's good enough to drive to servicing. Same with diesel, but this bio-diesel stuff is different.. I wouldn't put up a car with bio in it.

You are assuming a member checks his tyre pressures often, but most who store in LOS go abroad and leave the ride unattended.

Unleaded gas is crap from manufacture, after about 3 weeks it's properties are naff. Will ignite but is crap. Additives gone. Yes put storage additives in to stabilize it but this is LOS. :)

flat spots is very much reality on any size of vehicle. All manufactorers supply cars with storage pressure, usually 50% higher than recommended driving pressure and usually similar to the max pressure tyre can handle according to tyres marking on sidewalls. Dealer is to deflate it to recommended driving pressure on delivery check.

flatspots can occure within 3 months if stored at recomended driving pressure. Small spots only detected at high speed, above 160 kmh, as vibration in vehicle. Cure, new round tyres :)

Old wives tale..

160kmph high speed? You must mean in the driveway.. :rolleyes:

Reality, spendt some years in the auto make business, and decades as importer/dealer

Or do a simple check in any dealers lot here in LOS, all new pickups come with 45 psi from factory

50% of sold vehicles in LOS are pickups, then another 35% is Vios types small cars, and for both above 160kmh/100mph is considered high speed. Take into consideration LOS speedlimits, Highways 90 kmh and Expressways 120 kmh, above 160kmh is high speed in LOS indeed

Really squared tyres, which can occure within 6 months of storage with recomended driving pressure only, vibration starts at 80 kmh.