Quality Of Life

hi, please could you tell me if 22k pounds after tax is a good income to have a great life in thailand

I would of thought so :o

but I guess it depends how much of a "great life in thailand" you're planning to have

Have you been to thailand before or is this a new venture???

Where are you planning on staying?

What dyou intend doing when you're here?

Will you be buying land, building houses, supporting a family???

I think we need some more info to give you the best advice.

hi , ive never been to thailand before. would be looking to buying a home or condo around phuket for 60 to 80 thousand pounds, my brother would be coming with me so my 22k would be for spending as i wouldnt have no mortgage. i would be really grateful for peoples opinions on where to live also.

First of all you may be best off starting in the Phuket Forum or doing a search for costs of living etc.

I dont think im qualified to give you advice whether or not you'll have enough money - but thats a fairly substantial amount...

the other thing that im a little confused about is why you would be prepared to put down 60-80k on a property in a country you've not been too before.

So Im guessing that you must already have some work & work permit/visa sorted out - whoever you'll be working for may be best able to advise you.

sorry cant be more help - but you need to wait for some more qualified TV members to reply.

hi , ive never been to thailand before. would be looking to buying a home or condo around phuket for 60 to 80 thousand pounds, my brother would be coming with me so my 22k would be for spending as i wouldnt have no mortgage. i would be really grateful for peoples opinions on where to live also.

Hi Toffo9,

Phuket is getting very busy (over-developed?). Prices for houses have sky rocketed and it's my opinion that buying a house in Phuket is risky. I think that the lack of control over growth will result in the Pattaya-zation of Phuket. Meaning, prices will drop and everyone will have to be very competitive to compete. Forgive me Pattaya residents. This is the feeling I got when visiting Pattaya. I did enjoy myself of course... plenty of very nice locals and expats. I just couldn't help imagining that the endless hotels and guesthouses are full very much of the year. Some buddies told me that there aren't enough tourists coming and therefore accommodations are very cheap.

Stay away from the touristy areas if you want to get a good deal on a house. Staying within striking distance is easy. In other words, you could live just off of Phuket and get a much nicer house for the same money or less.

Additionally, there will be a serious water problem in the very near future. You can't drive more than a couple minutes anywhere in the southern half of Phuket and not see shop houses, housing estates and construction. It doesn't seem like the local government has a plan with we run out of water this coming dry season.

I'm tired of Phuket to be perfectly frank. I've been here for over 12 years. The traffic alone is driving me crazy. I'm looking at moving to Phang Nga Province near Phang Nga Town. It's lovely, quiet and surrounded by mountains. It's an hour's drive to Phuket, so when I'm ready to party hardy, it's easy.

I hope this helped. :o

hi, please could you tell me if 22k pounds after tax is a good income to have a great life in thailand

I know of poeple that live very well on 8k a year (though they have no rent as they own the property)

Unless you are drinkning very heavily or getting with many many girls the amount of 22k is huge for thialand.

In the uk the average family earn less than 30k and have to pay for children morgage and car. So in real terms 22k is a massive amount of money,

I think you should be able to live of 2000bht a day (not including rent) very well with some past times built into this type of figure