Price of computer package in Thailand

andyst

...I'm just wondering what an approx. price of a computer package in Thailand. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just something to surf the net, download MP3s and upload photos onto - maybe the odd game every now and again. I would be looking for a package including everything: computer, monitor, software and also a digital camera. Like I said, I don't want anything fancy, just a standard system that can do those things.

I know the prices can vary from system to system and shop to shop, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a ball park figure for what I'd require. Anything would sufice, just to give me a rough idea of what to budget for when I land in LOS. Thanks.

Edited by andyst

...I'm just wondering what an approx. price of a computer package in Thailand. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just something to surf the net, download MP3s and upload photos onto - maybe the odd game every now and again. I would be looking for a package including everything: computer, monitor, software and also a digital camera. Like I said, I don't want anything fancy, just a standard system that can do those things.

I know the prices can vary from system to system and shop to shop, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a ball park figure for what I'd require. Anything would sufice, just to give me a rough idea of what to budget for when I land in LOS. Thanks.

Roughly:

20,000 baht will get you something that works - just about.

40 - 50,000 and you're smoking.

If you want a lap top, add 50% to the above.

You'll get a better deal in the west. Bring over a good lap top with 3 years international warranty is my advice.

Thanks. No chance of getting a laptop in the west though, as I'll be flying to Thailand straight from S Korea. Desktop computers here are usually cheap, but laptops seem waaay too overpriced in my opinion (at least 3x desktop prices). Buying a desktop here and taking it to Thailand is simply not an option.

I may be possible to uy the digital camera over here, as they seem to be relatively cheap. Anybody know approx howb much I could get a decent one for in Thailand? I reckon it would cost about $150 for a pretty good one here.

Thanks. No chance of getting a laptop in the west though, as I'll be flying to Thailand straight from S Korea. Desktop computers here are usually cheap, but laptops seem waaay too overpriced in my opinion (at least 3x desktop prices). Buying a desktop here and taking it to Thailand is simply not an option.

I may be possible to uy the digital camera over here, as they seem to be relatively cheap. Anybody know approx howb much I could get a decent one for in Thailand? I reckon it would cost about $150 for a pretty good one here.

14k baht is about the absolute minimum price for a complete computer system (including a 17" monitor) and will be able to surf the net and do basics. But for video, graphics, music then andyst's price range is more accurate, 25k.

Digital cameras, you can get an idea of prices at the below url. This site is about 10% higher then if you shop around.

http://www.tohome.com/catalog.aspx?catalog_id=345

Wow, thanks for that link, seems like most of the Japanese cameras are much more expensive in Thailand. Aiptek seems reasonably priced though, what's the lowdown on them? I assume due to the price that they're a local company, so no import taxes etc. I've never heard of Aiptek, what's their reputation like? Are they cheap simply because they're Thai, or are they known to have problems?

Wow, thanks for that link, seems like most of the Japanese cameras are much more expensive in Thailand. Aiptek seems reasonably priced though, what's the lowdown on them? I assume due to the price that they're a local company, so no import taxes etc. I've never heard of Aiptek, what's their reputation like? Are they cheap simply because they're Thai, or are they known to have problems?

Actually I find the prices not that much different then outside of Thailand. I recently bought a Konica-Minolta DImage A200 for 27,000B (658 USD) and overseas street prices are around 699 USD.

The Aiptek is the very low end of the spectrum with minimum resolutions and features and have no experience with them. My feeling they are just a step above webcams :o

Camera Prices in Thailand:

www.fivatech.net

www.meecamera.com

www.worldcamera.co.th

www.fotofile.net

www.thaicameracafe.com

www.akibkk.com

Camera pricese in Japan

http://www.kakaku.com/camera/

From a direct comparison, you'll see that certain models are 50% (or more) cheaper in Japan.

As for which model to buy... you cannot get a portable (light/slim) camera that will take the same pictures as a heavy/bulky one: you sacrifice picture quality for portability. When buying, also consider the battery (expensive? AA?) and the memory card (expensive? max capacity? speed?). For models which have no viewfinder, remember that taking any pics in bright sunlight will be nearly impossible. Try to buy brand name... the cheaper ones (like aiptek) aren't worth the trouble.

Thanks for the links. Japanese cameras are pretty expensive here too, simply because the Korean government taxes anything Japanese so highly (they aren't even close to forgiving them for WW2!). The Korean cameras are more reasonably priced though, so it would be possible to buy one of them. I think they're usually good quality.