Does Anyone Have Any Experience, Comments Regarding Streaming Tv?

russianrobert

Dear all,

i have heard about a streaming TV system that allows viewing of British TV over the internet to your TV. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of this company-FlyByTv, this type of system or anyone has any comments.

Their info tells me: it includes all the English channels that you can view in England you can get in Bangkok.

The live feeds through the internet into a set top box anywhere worldwide using a custom made server and custom made box, no need to watch it on your computer via a ip hider or proxy server, this allows you to watch it as it is is the U.K, there is no satellite dish required, just an internet connection of of a minimum of 2mb.

They tell me it costs about 450 euros for first payment and a monthly charge of 20 euros for standard package.

This is not a recomendation. As i said above i am looking for coments about this company/this type of system (can it work in Thailand?) or any other observations generally. Perhaps someone knows of another company better and cheaper?

I have a High-Speed internet (LAN)

Thanks for any information.

Sounds expensive.

The bottom line for any streaming from any source is going to be how good your connection is here locally. I have a 16mbps line and it doesn't always deliver enough bandwidth for streaming. Sometimes it works great, other times it's okay, and every now and then it doesn't work for streaming at all.

So.. I'd recommend you ask for a test link to verify your bandwidth will provide the desired quality.

Many people are using the Slingbox which I reviewed here. A family member hooks it up to the local cable/sat/DVR/tivo and their router, and you can watch those devices anywhere in the world bandwidth allows. With my setup I get over 90 channels from the states. The quality is fine for news and sports, but I prefer a higher quality for movies or tv shows and get those elsewhere.

Sounds expensive.

The bottom line for any streaming from any source is going to be how good your connection is here locally. I have a 16mbps line and it doesn't always deliver enough bandwidth for streaming. Sometimes it works great, other times it's okay, and every now and then it doesn't work for streaming at all.

So.. I'd recommend you ask for a test link to verify your bandwidth will provide the desired quality.

Many people are using the Slingbox which I reviewed here. A family member hooks it up to the local cable/sat/DVR/tivo and their router, and you can watch those devices anywhere in the world bandwidth allows. With my setup I get over 90 channels from the states. The quality is fine for news and sports, but I prefer a higher quality for movies or tv shows and get those elsewhere.

For Slingbox a local cable connection is required in the UK. I don't have that option. The other thing about streaming is that most of the interesting programs are in the evening in the UK. 1am-6am local time here so the option to watch 'live' TV for me anyway is limited. This means i can download and record what i want. to watch later. I believe for this uninterupted streaming is not so much an issue?

Cheers

Edited by russianrobert

Hi Robert. I used to pay "True" the big bucks for the fast connection. Learned that where my village is just outside Bangkok, it's just not possible to get more than 500kb on average, so I now pay just 600 baht a month for the same speed that used to cost me near 2000 baht. I've heard 6mb and even 10 mb, just depends where you are. The post suggesting you do a speed test with a test link, is a good idea to start. Over a week, you will know what you can do or not. If you average over 1 mb go for it. I have found early morning speeds here(overseas sites) are fastest. If like many of us, you will most likely stream lower quality, or if saving not watching live, you will get by. Again. All depends on where you are. Your deal which is uncertain as to quality and speed, sounds expensive to me too. Can get most of what you want for free, apart from the internet connection and hardware, the latter not expensive at Phanthip etc. Good luck.

Sounds expensive.

For Slingbox a local cable connection is required in the UK. I don't have that option. The other thing about streaming is that most of the interesting programs are in the evening in the UK. 1am-6am local time here so the option to watch 'live' TV for me anyway is limited. This means i can download and record what i want. to watch later. I believe for this uninterupted streaming is not so much an issue?

Cheers

1. If you Google 'Slingbox services' you'll find some servers set up to 'rent' you a slingbox and your choice of programming.

2. Well sure, if you're not streaming, either through downloading a torrent or video file of some sort, then bandwidth only comes into play for the time it takes to download the file. Streaming implies a non-stop stream of music of video. You can stream recorded shows or live shows.

I gave up on streaming as to much hassle and found of all places - BBC iPlayer - an add for "hidemyip" I now use this to download programmes from the UK no problem.Not all programmes are available to download but all can be watched live,if you have the stamina and enough black coffee !

I gave up on streaming as to much hassle and found of all places - BBC iPlayer - an add for "hidemyip" I now use this to download programmes from the UK no problem.Not all programmes are available to download but all can be watched live,if you have the stamina and enough black coffee !

I downloaded BBC iPlayer but it told me Programs are only for downloading in the UK. How did you get around that?

I downloaded BBC iPlayer but it told me Programs are only for downloading in the UK. How did you get around that?

Re-read the post carefully.

you would be better off just downloading the stuff you want to watch from the box or uk nova or tv chaos stick it on a memory stick and watch it on tv

As said I signed up for "hidemyip" premium service ,this allows me to select a fake ip from a list of countries and regions for - ahem .. security purposes - selet UK and BBCi (& anything else UK) downloads to HD standard no probs....