TSUNAMI WARNING ISSUED FOR JAPAN, RUSSIA AND OTHER REGIONS

webfact

Japan issues nuclear emergency after massive quake damages nuclear plant

2011-03-12 09:07:03 GMT+7 (ICT)

TOKYO (BNO NEWS) -- The government of Japan has issued a nuclear emergency, ordering the evacuation of people who live near Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s (Tepco) Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, following Friday's massive earthquake, Japan's Nikkei reported.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano initially explained that no radioactive material had been released, but the No. 2 reactor's cooling mechanism for its core had not been able to perform emergency water injections. As a result, an evacuation was ordered for residents within 3 kilometers (1.8 miles) of the plant's No. 2 reactor.

However, during a news conference early Saturday morning, it was announced that a radiation leakage is possible, and the evacuation zone was expanded to 10 kilometers (6.2 miles).

After the earthquake, Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant reactors automatically shut down, but their cores need to be cooled with water as their temperatures continue to rise. A post-earthquake blackout shut down the plant's regular reactor-cooling system, and its backup system ran out of battery sooner than it should have.

Japanese Prime Minister Naoto Kan went on to declare a nuclear emergency, deploying Defense Forces personnel to assess the situation and assist residents. In addition, a chemical protection unit of the Ground SDF has been dispatched from its Omiya post in Saitama Prefecture.

According to the company's Fukushima office, the radiation level inside the building that houses the No. 1 reactor has been rising.

On Friday afternoon, a massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck off the coast of northeastern Japan, creating huge tsunamis that have devastated parts of Japan. It was followed by a series of major aftershocks, including one of 7.1 on the Richter scale.

Tepco said the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant is designed to withstand an earthquake of magnitude 7.9.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-12

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NHK is saying at least 456 believed dead: 256 people have been confirmed dead and at least 200 others are believed to be dead. Plus more than 740 people are missing in several prefectures in the country's northeast.

Death toll in Japan has risen to 287 with 725 missing: /RT @mpoppel

On nuclear power: Japan has the highest safety standards, and among the most professional technicians worldwide, yet even in one of the most technically advanced and responsible societies - breaches can happen.

Yet, Thailand insists on joining the nuclear club.

Interestingly, Thailand' EGAT is keeping as low a profile as they possibly can - regarding their nuclear plant plans. I don't blame them for adhering to secretiveness. They know, that the more the public knows about their plans, the more likely there will be public outcry and demonstrations. If you're going to introduce a nuclear facility to a region, the best policy is secrecy. Heck, they could already be clandestinely starting the construction. Could that happen in Thailand? You bet your congealed pig's blood and fried beetle soup it could.

The above updates from Thai media on the nuclear situation are a bit confusing and contradictory...

Here's what's Reuters was saying as of 9:30 am our time...

(Reuters) - Japan warned of a possible radiation leak on Saturday as authorities battled to contain rising pressure at two nuclear plants damaged by a massive earthquake, and were moving tens of thousands of residents in the area out of harm's way.

Tokyo Electric Power Co said it has begun steps to release pressure at its two nuclear power plants in Fukushima, located some 240 km (150 miles) north of Tokyo.

MORE: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/12/us-japan-quake-reactor-idUSTRE72B09P20110312

On nuclear power: Japan has the highest safety standards, and among the most professional technicians worldwide, yet even in one of the most technically advanced and responsible societies - breaches can happen.

Interestingly, Thailand' EGAT is keeping as low a profile as they possibly can - regarding their nuclear plant plans. I don't blame them for adhering to secretiveness. They know, that the more the public knows about their plans, the more likely there will be public outcry and demonstrations. If you're going to introduce a nuclear facility to a region, the best policy is secrecy. Heck, they could already be clandestinely starting the construction. Could that happen in Thailand? You bet your congealed pig's blood and fried beetle soup it could.

Won't happen.

Right on, brother...

8.8!

dam_n that's a huge earthquake.

I've been hearing that there are minor earthquake swarms occurring around the world an they are supposed to peak next week. It also predicted that one of the first ones would be in Japan.

I can't believe they were correct.

Prepare for possibly one hell of a week.

I've been trying to find the source for that, but didn't see anything in the news. Where did you get that info?

Thanks,

Gaby

Here is a couple of links talking about it. You can also search youtube for March 15th, 2011, Did you hear that four volcanoes erupted last night? The mainstream media is skipping a lot of things occurring. There is more if you look hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1cLs_am5tI

this one is also interesting one done a month ago about a hopi prophecy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnwSTHTEWhk

this is getting nasty, nasty bad :-( :-(

10km radius around unit 1, first evacuate 51,07 people; then 3km radius around unit 2, evacuate 8,049 people.

according to TEPCO, at the gate of the nuclear plant the radioactive value is 20 times higher then normal.

the coolant water level decreases and the fuel rods possibly be exposed. the container pressure raises and release of coolant vapour is planned. this vapour has direct contact with the fuel rods and is radioactive.

source : www.asahi.com Mar12, 2011 at 11.04 Tokyo time

NHK live reporting reactor air has been released to prevent a pressure buildup at the two Fukushima plants, beginning about 9 am today. Not clear about radiation content of the releases.

But NHK also is saying the release had to be suspended at Plant No. 1 due to high radiation levels where the workers handling the valves for the release were located.

Authorities are considering rotating workers in shifts and some kind of remote control of the valves as alternatives.

Edited by jfchandler

Mar 12, 2011, at 11.20h, Fukushima nuclear plant, the fuel assembly is 90 centimeter exposed, in a critical situation and may lead radioactive materials.

a temporary pump is pouring 27,000 liter of water into the reactor.

source : www.nhk.or.jp Mar12, 2011 at 12.03 Japan time

This from a chap I know on another unrelated forum, based in Tokyo, last five minutes . . .

12:50 No tsunami here but...

Japan now being rocked by a series of quakes which is causing tsunami after tsunami, landslides and marooned communities in the mountainous regions. We are back ON tsunami alert as is the whole southern seaboard right the way down to Okinawa, 3000kms away.

The devastation is only now coming to light as is the realization that areas are not responding because they are simply no longer there.Water is sweeping across and through streets and towns as people race to high ground watching bewildered as flood waters not only rise but take houses with them in their path. Have you ever seen a street full of houses just float away, crashing into one another as they go? No, neither have I. This is quite something else. No simulation or movie could match this.

JFC. I used your link yesterday to get NHK news. I spawned VLC player which streamed nicely. Today I pressed the play button & that in turn spawned a new window (also VLC player) which is streaming nicely.

Thai TV - every channel - is studiously avoiding this topic.

Just a few personal notes on this unfolding disaster.

My wife's family in Japan are fine but were spread all over Tokyo when this happened and it was hard for them to get home. My 87 year old father in law walked 12 miles home after midnight across the center of Tokyo. The street was full of people as the trains were stopped and the traffic very slow. So he decided walking was the way to go. Compared to other countries when large earthquakes would happen, the behavior in Japan in exemplary. No looting. No need for army on the streets to protect shops and homes. Just people trying to help themselves and to help others who are not so fortunate. My wife went to University in Sendai and clearly is concerned about her friends there and many are without power so no Internet, Twitter etc (nobody should believe all the hype that these things will help out in all situations, try it if the ISP has no power, or the cell phone provider). But the engineering in Tokyo is simply amazing the way it held up to this earthquake which is hundreds of times more powerful in terms of energy than the Loma Prieta earthquake in San Francisco which was the largest one I have experienced personally but which was tiny compared to this.

On the business side, the Bank's 2 offices in Japan are fine, shaken definitely in Tokyo, but fine.

I am sure all our thoughts are with the Japanese people in this terrible time, particularly with the situation at their nuclear reactors. As the only country ever to have experienced the horror of nuclear attacks this is clearly a matter of huge concern for them (lets not get political, I am just talking about the civilians, not the things which lead up to the war).

So lets all send them our prayers, our support via multinational organizations(Red Cross etc.) and our admiration for how they are handling this as a nation. I could not be more proud of them.

Edited by ianguygil

Right now, the best NHK World stream, sometimes in English and sometimes not, I'm getting is coming from CNN's web site...

http://edition.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream1

Same feed from another site doesn't seem to run as well...

http://jibtv.com/program/?page=0

There was some EQ coverage on the Thai 11 pm TV news last night, and then MCOT 1 was picking up NHK's feed a bit later in the night... I haven't checked Thai TV thus far today, figuring the direct Japan approach is going to be more useful.

JFC. I used your link yesterday to get NHK news. I spawned VLC player which streamed nicely. Today I pressed the play button & that in turn spawned a new window (also VLC player) which is streaming nicely.

Thai TV - every channel - is studiously avoiding this topic.

There already were millions of households without electric power in Japan...but now even for those not blacked out....

TEPCO warns of blackouts, calls for energy saving

TOKYO, March 12, Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. warned Saturday of blackouts in a wide area of Japan, not just in quake-hit areas, as electricity is in short supply after its power facilities were damaged by Friday's powerful earthquake.

Calling on companies and residents to save electricity, TEPCO said demand is expected to reach 38 million kilowatts between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m., Japan time on Saturday, but it can only provide 37 million kw at present.

TEPCO has requested assistance from other utilities firms in providing electricity, but added it is likely to suspend power supplies for about three hours by rotation on a regional basis from Sunday.

TEPCO, the operator of the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, opened valves to release pressure inside the container housing the reactors, a move that led to the release of a small amount of radioactive steam.

Some operations have been suspended at TEPCO's thermal and hydro power generation facilities.

Industry minister Banri Kaieda also issued a similar request for energy savings.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77015.html

Miyagi prefectures and northeast are argiculture land and FOOD supplies of the country. tsunami flooded few agriculture land and destroyed some transportation trucks and facilities. due to the power outage and shortage of water supply, most factories stopped the routine production. <BR> <BR> some scattered news line on Japanese news media are talking about FOOD supplies :-( this is getting terrible every minute ! more than a super quake, a pacific-wide tsunami, a melting nuclear plant :-(

NHK updating on this photo, saying the passengers were able to escape from this train before it was hit by a tsunami.

Train derailed in Fukushima prefecture...Shinchi City area

post-53787-0-06903800-1299904102_thumb.j

oh . . . please check, I get an error while clicking the link : [#10171] You do not have permission to view this attachment.

thanks . . .