High Fiber Drinks

ChiangMaiFun

I buy psyllium seed husk at GNC on the second floor of KSK. The psyllium powder isn't sweetened, so you aren't getting unnecessary sugar as with the orange-flavored fiber sources. List price is 1600 baht for 19 oz (540 g), but GNC members receive a 20% discount on special "member" days. It's worth it to become a member if you plan to stay in CM. During the month of your birthday, members can purchase up to 5000 baht worth of product with a 50% discount, any day during that month. They also have smaller-size bottles and fiber pills, which are handy to use when traveling.

Edited by NancyL

I buy psyllium seed husk at GNC on the second floor of KSK. The psyllium powder isn't sweetened, so you aren't getting unnecessary sugar as with the orange-flavored fiber sources. List price is 1600 baht for 19 oz (540 g), but GNC members receive a 20% discount on special "member" days. It's worth it to become a member if you plan to stay in CM. During the month of your birthday, members can purchase up to 5000 baht worth of product with a 50% discount, any day during that month. They also have smaller-size bottles and fiber pills, which are handy to use when traveling.

GNC?

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun NancyL,

Curious as to how much per day would be your average use of Psyllium powder, and, other than its value as fiber, do you view it as having other nutritional value ?

There are some warnings about Psyllium use: Wikipedia Psyllium Article, and a human container, like this one, which has trouble swallowing, should probably not be using it without a medical consult first. Note some of the warnings are specific to the powder form.

After signing up for GNC membership, if you give them your mobile number, expect to get SMS messages once or twice a week alerting you to their various specials :)

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

The only reason I use psyllium is for the fiber. I think the directions say to use a couple teaspoons in a big glass of liquid 1 - 2 times per day. I have a very "slow" digestive system, so I have found the best results with a couple Thai-sized eating spoons of the stuff in a large glass of water in the morning. I used Metamusil (or a store brand equivalent) in the U.S. for the same purpose, as recommended by a gastro doctor after I consulted him for my problems. (You really don't want me to go into detail about my problems, do you?) One GNC bottle of fiber is good for about 5 weeks of use at my rates.

And yes, once you join and reveal your mobile number you do receive SMS. At least they're in English, unlike the ones from my mobile service vendor. I receive the messages a couple times a week and they've never been about anything of interest to me.

Chiang Mai Fun -- I don't understand your question about "GNC?". I think it's a U.S. -based chain. Most of the products are U.S.-produced. Originally the term GNC stood for General Nutrition Center (or something similar). Judging by how they use their shelf space, it looks like supplement protein powders for body-builders are their biggest sellers. I've never bought much else besides the psyllium fiber from them. I haven't found Centrium Silver Women's formula or a cost-effective calcium supplement here, so I have them sent from the U.S. Those are the only other dietary supplements I use.

The only reason I use psyllium is for the fiber. I think the directions say to use a couple teaspoons in a big glass of liquid 1 - 2 times per day. I have a very "slow" digestive system, so I have found the best results with a couple Thai-sized eating spoons of the stuff in a large glass of water in the morning. I used Metamusil (or a store brand equivalent) in the U.S. for the same purpose, as recommended by a gastro doctor after I consulted him for my problems. (You really don't want me to go into detail about my problems, do you?) One GNC bottle of fiber is good for about 5 weeks of use at my rates.

And yes, once you join and reveal your mobile number you do receive SMS. At least they're in English, unlike the ones from my mobile service vendor. I receive the messages a couple times a week and they've never been about anything of interest to me.

Chiang Mai Fun -- I don't understand your question about "GNC?". I think it's a U.S. -based chain. Most of the products are U.S.-produced. Originally the term GNC stood for General Nutrition Center (or something similar). Judging by how they use their shelf space, it looks like supplement protein powders for body-builders are their biggest sellers. I've never bought much else besides the psyllium fiber from them. I haven't found Centrium Silver Women's formula or a cost-effective calcium supplement here, so I have them sent from the U.S. Those are the only other dietary supplements I use.

"at GNC on the second floor of KSK" it's a shop? brand? sorry but I don't understand

"at GNC on the second floor of KSK" it's a shop? brand? sorry but I don't understand

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ChiangMaiFun,

Yes, General Nutrition Corporation, aka GNC, is a huge chain of health food shops. They sell their own brand of everything. And, indeed, that is the GNC store, in KSK, to which Khun NancyL refers. Link to GNC Thailand. Their stock at KSK is very limited to what you'd find elsewhere, ioho.

You could probably do better baht-wise ordering from the Naiharn Gym which is a TV sponsor, but no idea if Naiharn carries fiber products or not: so check it out. link to TV thread on Naiharn Gym Store

It is not really GNC's fault that they have a limited product line. It is quite expensive to get the Thai FDA to approve new health products and GNC follows the law.

There are mail order outfits here selling unapproved products, but they are quite expensive compared to what is available overseas.

I am not a fan of Psyllium husk for everyday use because it tends to irritate but can get the exact same powder at the health food store for a fraction of the price. Also Psyllium expands a lot and will encapsulate medications capsules and pills and important nutrients from being absorbed by the small intestine.

It's really best suited for short bursts of cleaning or detoxing periods.

Ground flax seeds are better or just small amounts of beans pea's or lentils are very good for daily use.

Have also seen Psy. Seed husks for 290 baht for 200 grams at Rimping but I don't think they carry it all the time but can get it.

I think Ban Suan Pak health food store sells it for about the same or less.

Not sure of the quantity of the product that was mentioned above but I have found GNC to be ripoff expensive in a lot of cases.

Curious as to how much per day would be your average use of Psyllium powder, and, other than its value as fiber, do you view it as having other nutritional value ?

Psyllium seed husk is very effective for lowering cholesterol. Prices are crazy in Thailand for psyllium. In Europe (Czech Republic) I used to buy a box like NancyL buys for 1600 Baht for the equivalent of 50 Baht! But the Mucilin is very cheap here.

BTW, Flaxseed has the most "bang for the baht" Rimping sells 1/2K bags for under 100B. Thats about two months worth for 100B.

Psyllium seed husk is very effective for lowering cholesterol. Prices are crazy in Thailand for psyllium. In Europe (Czech Republic) I used to buy a box like NancyL buys for 1600 Baht for the equivalent of 50 Baht! But the Mucilin is very cheap here.

BTW, Flaxseed has the most "bang for the baht" Rimping sells 1/2K bags for under 100B. Thats about two months worth for 100B.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun CMSteve,

Thanks for that information: spent some time reading up on psyllium and flaxseed today, and came to the conclusion that for adding regular fiber to the diet (i.e., not a remedy for any specifc bowel problem or constipation), flaxseed does, indeed, offer many nutritional benefits compared to psyllium. Sites visited re flaxseed all stressed the importance of grinding it. Wonder if just crushing it up with mortar and pestle will be adequate to promote full absorption. Did not realize that Metamucil is made from psyllium until reading that today on-line.

We like to put King brand rice-bran oil into this body straight, a few ounces per day, by the way: very pleasant taste (our radiation toasted taste buds react to the acidic quality of extra-virgin oil, or any olive oil).

And, while we are on the topic of fiber, what about oatmeal ? Sometimes we drink a slurry of it uncooked. And we note, for this meat-package, feeding it oatmeal (cooked) at night has a definite tranquilizing effect (your mileage may vary).

This thread caused me to consult Dr. Google about benefits of various sources of fiber. I'm going to add some flaxseed for the nutrients, but it would be difficult to totally replace the psyllium because there's something like a 6 to 1 difference in the amount of fiber per tablespoon. Sounds like flaxseed is good on yogurt, in salads, etc unlike the psyllium which has no taste or nutrient value aside from the fiber.

I think it's a good idea to take all high fiber products (not just psyllium) an hour or two distant from consuming medications. That's what my gastro doc said when I started on the psyllium.

I always look for psyllium seed at Rim Ping, but haven't been able to find it lately. GNC is my only reliable source and isn't too expensive if I stock up with the member discount deals.

The orange-flavored sachets of fiber at Pharma are psyllium with a lot of sugar added. Plus, they're an expensive considering how much fiber you get per sachet. I just don't want the calories when I can choke down the unflavored psyllium. I do use the sachets sometimes when I travel, though. Much handier than trying to travel with a small bag of the bulk psyllium.

Orang, I read somewhere recently that warm oatmeal in the evening is good for inducing sleep. So are bananas and warm milk. Those three make a yummy late evening snack and offer some fiber.

Edited by NancyL

Just be careful with starting on flaxseed. You have to work your way up to 1 tablespoon a day, otherwise you'll have to stay near a bathroom!!! Try a teaspoon a day for two or three days before moving on to the full tablespoon. After that you should be fine. Also, make sure they are ground or you chew them up, whole seeds are useless.

This thread caused me to consult Dr. Google about benefits of various sources of fiber. I'm going to add some flaxseed for the nutrients, but it would be difficult to totally replace the psyllium because there's something like a 6 to 1 difference in the amount of fiber per tablespoon. Sounds like flaxseed is good on yogurt, in salads, etc unlike the psyllium which has no taste or nutrient value aside from the fiber.

I think it's a good idea to take all high fiber products (not just psyllium) an hour or two distant from consuming medications. That's what my gastro doc said when I started on the psyllium.

I always look for psyllium seed at Rim Ping, but haven't been able to find it lately. GNC is my only reliable source and isn't too expensive if I stock up with the member discount deals.

The orange-flavored sachets of fiber at Pharma are psyllium with a lot of sugar added. Plus, they're an expensive considering how much fiber you get per sachet. I just don't want the calories when I can choke down the unflavored psyllium. I do use the sachets sometimes when I travel, though. Much handier than trying to travel with a small bag of the bulk psyllium.

Orang, I read somewhere recently that warm oatmeal in the evening is good for inducing sleep. So are bananas and warm milk. Those three make a yummy late evening snack and offer some fiber.

You can buy unflavored, sugar-free Mucilin, NancyL. 180 Baht for 50 doses. A heck of a lot cheaper than what you are paying at GNC for the same thing.

Elektrifed, help me do the comparitive analysis, please. How much net fiber is in each of the "doses" of Mucilin? Is this a psyllium-based product, or is some other fiber source used? What is the country of origin for the psyllium? I really don't want to consume a product that originated from certain countries, like China.

Looking up the English-language version of for the label of my product on the GNC USA website, I see that the recommended "dose" is 6 grams of product (1 rounded teaspoon), which delivers 5 grams of fiber. That means there's 90 "doses" in the 540 gram bottle. So if I'm buying with the 50% member birthday month discount, I'm paying 800 baht per bottle for a price of 8.9 baht per "dose" or 1.8 baht per net gm of fiber.

It would appear that your Mucilin would would be a much better deal at 180 baht for 50 doses, or 3.6 baht per dose. But, the comparison is only relevant only if the net amount of fiber is equivalent. So how much net fiber is there is a "dose" of Mucilin?

Where do you buy this unflavored Mucilin? Is it in capsule or powder form?

Thank you for the details!

Sawasdee Khrup, Fiber-Craven Friends,

Picked up some sugar-free Mucilin (Psyllium) at the drug-store on Thanon Rachdamnoeng today (the one near Moon Muang Road). Package of ten five gram packets for 60 baht. Each packet of powder is described as having "Refined Mucilloid of Ispaghula seeds, 3.5 grams (Ispaghula husks)." And yes, would expect to perhaps find a cheaper price on this at a Boots or a Watson's. Country of origin of Psyllium not described on package, manufacturer listed as in Bangkok.

Also went by Kasem Store (branch near Talat Wararot) to buy some of their delicious tahini (from Mae Hong Son), and found they had flaxseed: bought a package for 110 baht; for an extra ten baht they ground it up fine. Forgot to ask how many grams the package was, but would estimate mabye 150 ? Once ground it bulked up, but assume it will settle a bit over time. Would estimate at a level teaspoon a day this amount of flaxseed would last 100 days.

Happy fiberosity !

Thank you so much, Orang37. I assume you visited what we called the "Two Sisters" pharmacy right across from Montri Hotel. The first one as you're walking from Thapae Gate? After reading this thread, I thought I should pay them a visit. I'm going to have to tear open many packets, but their price works out to 1.7 baht per gram of fiber. They may be cheaper than Boots and Watson's. They definitely were cheaper when I brought them my list of prescription drugs.

Hubby buys his bread at Kasem's Warorot. Next time he needs some, I'll go and check out the flaxseed. I'll probably grind it myself with my Thai mortar and pestle. I love to use it -- it annoys the westerners next door and the Thai ladies in the neighborhood seem to appreciate that I can cook judging by the noises that come out of our home.

You have to treat flaxseed somewhat like good coffee. Try not to grind too much of it in advance as it is oily and can spoil rather quickly. Keep it in an airtight container and keep it from excessive light and temperatures. It lasts months it kept right. If it seems off to you, don't eat it. For the price its just not worth it(Rimping & Yok sell if at 500g for 95B) and no sense in starting the Salem witch trials all over again.

Sawasdee khrap fiber searchers,

Do you know the benefits of papaya? It has a lot of fiber inclusive vitamins, minerals and enzymes and not much sugar.

You can google for it, one example:

http://www.associate...od_health.html.

If you take psyllium for weight loss, you can try the tea from papaya tree leaves, it works and has many benefits.

http://lifestyle.ilo...efits-9530.html

For what its worth.

Edited by Joop50