Setting Up Dual Wan System

rounder8

Hello,

Right now I have TRUE 10mbit line (the best one available to this condo) which is kinda crappy... I get only 5mbits and line goes down and lags multiple times a day. I desperately need better internet for my job so I figured I need a backup line. I'm living on Rama 3 in Bangkok. I'll connect the lines together with dual WAN router. Which company should I go for? The companies should use different lines so if TRUE goes down it would be very unlikely the other line would go down at the same time and cause a connection cut on my dual WAN system. Is TRUE a good line to begin with or should I dump TRUE and get two new lines that works well together?

Edited by rounder8

I have heard some of the ISPs lease the line from TRUE. I'm not sure if it's true but if it is then those are not good cancidates for a backup connection because if TRUE goes down they are very likely to go down then as well...

I'm living on Rama 3 in Bangkok. I'll connect the lines together with dual WAN router. Which company should I go for?

I'm in that area and get very reliable service from CSLoxinfo - my 3MB connection consistently gives me 2.4 real world download speed.

True is good

As for the others - depends greatly on the time you ask, e.g. that changes all the time.

If you're serious about a good connection, get the 2,500 Baht / month 5Mbit premier line from 3BB. 3BB normal lines are crap though.

Another option: Get 100Mbit cable internet from True. If you're in BKK there's a good chance you can get that.

I have TOT and 3BB, figuring 2 crap lines would make one good one. The only problem with that is that I get a lot of interference on the house's telephone lines when both are active so it's no good. The house has 2 lines and the carriers won't install their own as this is a moo baan and laying new cables is a strict no-no. I guess they don't want cables cluttering up this rather pretty moo baan. Sigh.

Crushdepth:

Very interesting. Can anyone confirm that CSLoxinfo doesn't use same lines as TRUE?

nikster:

So is that 5mbit premier line supposed to be really good connection that doesn't cut at all? It seems like a high price to pay for such a slowish connection... But for me realiability is of major importance .. second comes the speed...

100mbit cable sounds like the nuts for me ... i have never heard those are available... I will ask if its possible to get that but i believe it's not because even that ultra highspeed 50mbit line is not available in my rather distant location...

Crushdepth:

Very interesting. Can anyone confirm that CSLoxinfo doesn't use same lines as TRUE?

nikster:

So is that 5mbit premier line supposed to be really good connection that doesn't cut at all? It seems like a high price to pay for such a slowish connection... But for me realiability is of major importance .. second comes the speed...

100mbit cable sounds like the nuts for me ... i have never heard those are available... I will ask if its possible to get that but i believe it's not because even that ultra highspeed 50mbit line is not available in my rather distant location...

Nobody knows for sure what the difference is between 3BB standard and premier. The official story is that premier has a lower contention ratio (fewer users per line) and supposedly should be better for international connections, but there doesn't seem to be much proof to this story. Those who have tried both indicates no difference. For sure there are no difference in the reliability between the two.

Nobody knows for sure what the difference is between 3BB standard and premier.

i tried both. result: in my area (2km east of Sukhumvit) both are crap. i also have TOT. quite reliable till recently, now crap too. :bah:

question: i have both lines in my home. what are my alternatives concerning other providers? any help highly appreciated!

:jap:

i tried both. result: in my area (2km east of Sukhumvit) both are crap. i also have TOT. quite reliable till recently, now crap too. :bah:

question: i have both lines in my home. what are my alternatives concerning other providers? any help highly appreciated!

Try CSloxinfo SME 4mb or 2mb I had that before and was always as advertised 24/7. Only SME product their normal home user product is traffic shaped to hell.

It seems CSLoxinfo is using the same line as TRUE and it's actually impossible to have them both working at the same time. So I chose 3BB instead. TRUE did just got better though ... I called the customer center like 5 times and somebody fixed the line. DL speed increased from 5mbit to 10mbit :)

Try CSloxinfo SME 4mb or 2mb I had that before and was always as advertised 24/7. Only SME product their normal home user product is traffic shaped to hell.

Loxinfo on which phone please? TOT or TT&T?

TOT

thanks! assuming i can get loxinfo, do i have to cancel TOT because of any potential signal interference or can i keep TOT for a loxinfo trial period?

You can only use one provider at the time, but you can logout from one and login to another. I've done that in the past.

TOT

thanks! assuming i can get loxinfo, do i have to cancel TOT because of any potential signal interference or can i keep TOT for a loxinfo trial period?

You can only use one provider at the time, but you can logout from one and login to another. I've done that in the past.

why not just have 2 separate phone lines?

u can only have 1 adsl provider on a line. so u would need cancel the tot adsl service but keep the line. or order another TOT line if u wish to keep tot adsl as well.

in 2007 i paid 23,000 Baht tea money to get a TOT line on top of the existing TT&T line. have strong doubts that i can get an additional line. thanks for the advice! will cancel TOT temporarily and try Loxinfo.

TOT

did not read your post before i answered Negreanu's post Phil. if that works than i save myself quite some hassles. thanks!

question1: logging in/out via modem/router access? or just by switching off the TOT router and switching on the Loxinfo modem/router?

question2: any alternative ISP for the TT&T line available?

In my case I just logged out, entered the login details from the other ISP into the same modem/router and logged in again. I'm not sure about the technicalities behind it but it worked for me.

I use 3BB and have a great connection. I don't see why it should be different in your area, maybe your lines are noisy, that is very very common here due to partly the shoddy way they wire things up, partly due to the moist climate.

Have you considered asking 3BB directly for a 3BB line? That might get you a better line. I did that about a month ago and they put their own line in after just 2-3 days of waiting. More details here

As for alternative I think you should be able to use Loxinfo through the TT&T line as well. Loxinfo used to have a free one-day trial package, you could drop into their office on 3rd road, just next to TOT, and ask for one and try it out.

i appreciate any advice Phil! :jap: it can't be the lines. my home was built (finished in 2006) and i made sure to have dedicated lines, no connections, directly to the routers in my study to be used exclusively for internet purposes. we don't use fixed phones, only mobiles.

TOT was not great in speed (we tried various megabit versions, even the very expensive ones "same same") very reliable until a few weeks ago. with 3bb (formerly Maxnet) always problems. there was a time when Maxnet switched me off on the dot at 19.00 hours. my complaints were met with the usual thai excuses :bah:

now i experience something weird. most of the time both connections conk off simultaneously and my old trick plugging from one router to the other one does not work anymore.

now i will try Loxinfo and/or any other available provider. TRUE and CAT are telling me "no can do".

I would still ask 3BB for a 3BB line, just to try it out. They didn't charge me anything for it. Lines can corrode here in a matter of months, not years. Even if the lines in your house are good, it might be a problem with teh wires from the connection box on the street to the switch.

That will only work if both ISPs use the same circuits at least as far as the DSLAM (and probably beyond). So this will only give a measure of redundancy for problems affecting the routing after the point where they split, if indeed there is such a point and that one ISP isnt just reselling the a service provided by the other.

Either way, doing it like that wont help you if your line develops a fault, and it wont give you more bandwidth.

Personally if I was paying two subs a month to get some back up I would want two lines, two modems and a load-balancing router. That would be worth having. And I would make sure that the two ISPs were in no way related.

I bought Linksys RV042 as it was recommeded here in the forum. Also I should have 3BB backup connection available by tomorrow. I'm trying to get this RV042 working with my single TRUE connection right now but I can't figure out how to configure it... It ways WAN1 IP is 192.168.1.35 instead of the outside ip visible to other internet users... I don't know why... Can someone please help me configure RV042?

My hardware:

-Zyxel P660HW-T1 router for TRUE

-Huawei SmartAX MT880 for 3BB

-Linksys RV042 dual WAN router

-Linksys WAP54G wireless access point

How to get all that crap work together?? :blink:

Edit: I forgot to mention that my RV042 is running on default settings right now (automatic ip address)...

Edited by rounder8

How to get all that crap work together?? :blink:

i gave up months ago and hid the crap in one of the cupboards because i got angry whenever i saw it :bah:

i meant: Linksys RV042

Edited by Naam

Personally if I was paying two subs a month to get some back up I would want two lines, two modems and a load-balancing router. That would be worth having.

i have all that but never got the crap working :bah:

TRUE to my knowledge works using PPPoE. My Zyxel router has TRUE PPPoE configured and it has DHCP enabled. That means I should use RV042 with setting "Obtain IP address automatically"? That's what I tried: RV042 gets IP address 192.168.1.35 from Zyxel but it internet access is not working. I have tried both gateway mode and router mode on RV042 but I noticed no difference. Should I use gateway mode or router mode and what is the difference?

I'm confused ....