Kata + Karon Accomodation

rycmai

i'm heading for phuket island for 2 weeks starting april 7. i have an old LP guidebook (2007) which lists some budget placess.i found kata on sea's website, and they dont take reservations. i was wondering if any of these that are listed take reservations and what are the rates:

- flamingo

- little mermaid

-karon guest house

- bazoom hotel

- fantasy hotel

also, if u know of any other in the 5-800 baht range, i'd be interested in knowing too.

websites would be helpful. thanks

You might check Kata Villa.

It's across from the Karon Beach Resort (and obviously Karon Beach), they have a pool and you are walking distance into Kata Center.

I think your timeframe is still technically high season, not sure what you are going to be able to find in the 5-800thb range........................

I think you need a new guidebook as at least two of those are closed!

PM on the way with a suggestion.

I think he means Fantasy Hill, which is open. Also Bazoon Hostel in Karon is open afaik.

I think you need a new guidebook as at least two of those are closed!

PM on the way with a suggestion.

I think he means Fantasy Hill, which is open. Also Bazoon Hostel in Karon is open afaik.

Bazoom has been closed for nearly four years!

Edited by madmitch

On Koktanode Road, opposite MOm Tris Boathouse there are some cheap options, Da's Bungalows,

Kata Rock Inn,

some new small hotel but forgot the name, just opened a few months ago and cheap, Cool Breeze Bungalows.

Have the taxi drop you off opposite the Boathouse and you can find something there.

Most of the hotels in Phuket seem to be using mid April as the cut off for low season rates. A few start low season rates on 1 April. Occupancy rates were still quite high when we were there last week. The budget end (means sub 2,000 baht in Phuket!) looked much tighter though, so booking ahead would be necessary I think. Above 3,000 baht the popular hotels (ie glowingly-reviewed on web-sites) were mostly full, but you would not need to book ahead if you are less fussy or are spending serious money. Expect double what you would pay on the South East (Pats etc) coast at any level.

Why do all these posters do their recommendations by PM? Scared of having their mates' places critiqued by others in the know? On the other hand, if they can give you something that is more than a flophouse in the back end of Patong for your 800 baht budget then go with it. From what I saw of trawling the internet you will struggle at that price, certainly in the first half of this month.

[For anyone looking for up-market in Kata/Karon I can recommend the 5* Centara Grand Resort. It's on the beach (very top end of Karon), brand new and sensibly priced at 5,200 for a sumptuous large double with excellent breakfast buffet, presumably to get a clientèle base. That's a lot I know but you see what some of the other 5 stars charge around Phuket - seriously stupid money in the 10s of k baht. Mostly Russian/Slavic languages when we were there - but I think that applies to foreign resorts generally in Thailand now].

Why do all these posters do their recommendations by PM? Scared of having their mates' places critiqued by others in the know?

Some posters own various rental accommodations and don't advertise on open forum in case George wants sponsor money.

Edited by Old Croc

Why do all these posters do their recommendations by PM? Scared of having their mates' places critiqued by others in the know?

Some posters own various rental accommodations and don't advertise on open forum in case George wants sponsor money.

It's against forum rules for a forum member to actively promote own business. Read rule 10)

And yes, both Phuket local moderators own & operate accomodation businesses. But we don't offer on the open forum. Like everyone else we sent PMs to any member requesting information.

It's against forum rules for a forum member to actively promote own business. Read rule 10)

And yes, both Phuket local moderators own & operate accomodation businesses. But we don't offer on the open forum. Like everyone else we sent PMs to any member requesting information.

OK - no sweat.