Red Shirts Oppose Social Studies Textbooks Claiming False Information

webfact

Red Shirt claims social studies text book teaches students against them

BANGKOK, 7 April 2011 (NNT)-The Red Shirt claimed a social studies text book for Mattayom 3 (Grade 9) students contained false information which could lead students to believe that they were the cause of all the places being burnt down across the country while the Office of Basic Education dismissed the claim saying that schools could adapt the curriculum to the current events to teach their students.

Deputy Secretary-General of the Office of the Basic Education Commission Mr. Somkiat Chobpol said also that the Office of Private Education Commission had no policy of changing the curriculum which were accredited and nationally approved to be included in the secondary education in 2008.

Mr. Somkiat said it was entirely up to an individual interpretation to teaching a class regarding the content, adding that social studies in Thai secondary education focused more on religions and cultures rather than politics. He has already ordered an investigation into the matter. If the school found to have taught against the Red Shirt, a warning would be issued accordingly.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-04-07 footer_n.gif

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took me more than one time to quite grasp what this news report actually said. It's a particularly poor translation.

If anyone else is confused, this is my take:

- A Red Shirt* claimed that the current textbooks "could lead students to believe that they** were the cause of all the places being burnt down across the country***".

- The Office of Basic Education rubbished this claim and basically clarified the curriculum.

- The Office of Basic Education nonetheless opened an investigation based on the Red Shirt claims and will reprimand any school found to be pushing a political agenda at schoolkids.

* not sure if the group issued a statement or one of the leaders has piped up on his own or what...

** the Red Shirts or the schoolkids?

*** presumably in May last year.

Just to add, if the textbooks could lead students to believe that the Red Shirts were the cause of all the places being burnt down across the country, what could the YouTube videos of Red leaders calling for arson and Red supporters committing arson lead students to believe? :huh:

So what should replace red shirts in the textbooks? Perhaps fake reds, Cambodians or aliens? If Phua Thai are so confident of winning the election they won't have to wait long to re-write history, so why the hurry? :whistling:

Perhaps they could learn about the Thammasat University massacre and its impact on Society or any other of the airbrushed events in Thai history?

It took me more than one time to quite grasp what this news report actually said. It's a particularly poor translation.

- A Red Shirt* claimed that the current textbooks "could lead students to believe that they** were the cause of all the places being burnt down across the country***".

- The Office of Basic Education rubbished this claim and basically clarified the curriculum.

- The Office of Basic Education nonetheless opened an investigation based on the Red Shirt claims and will reprimand any school found to be pushing a political agenda at schoolkids.

* not sure if the group issued a statement or one of the leaders has piped up on his own or what...

Ummm I would say that there is some room for nuance in the statement "if the school is found to have taught against" ..... It doesn't seem tp say that the school cannot teach the facts at all. It seems to say that subjective information would be looked at and punished. Fact: Arisaman amongst others called for the burning of BKK. Fact: Bangkok had many buildings burned. Fact: The reds rallied at provincial offices upcountry and some red leaders were identified and charged with the burning of provincial offices in places like Nong Khai. No anti-red bias in stating facts.

So what should replace red shirts in the textbooks? Perhaps fake reds, Cambodians or aliens? If Phua Thai are so confident of winning the election they won't have to wait long to re-write history, so why the hurry? :whistling:

Thaksin is a past master at rewriting history. Just like all the fascists before him.

These people are dangerous bas%%%%s. Yes, dangerous.

I wonder if there is a textbook that explains to Thai students how corrupt their country is and how the economy and political/legal processes are monopolised by a network of bloated, unaccountable parasites.

There could be another textbook explaining the role of the armed forces and police in Thailand. It could explain the culture of patronage, kickbacks, extortion and violence so prevalent in those institutions.

The judiciary would merit a volume too.

Part quote:

"........ He has already ordered an investigation into the matter. If the school found to have taught against the Red Shirt, a warning would be issued accordingly."

The bottom line on this point is that Thai teachesr, including university lecturers do push there own political opinions quite strongly onto students.

My adult son, and his university colleagues, were threatened quite stongly that if their lecturer discovered they ever went to a PAD rally (several years back) then they would automatically fail any courses taught by that lecturer.

The class complained and the response was mind your own business and be quiet.

Edited by scorecard

Leaders of the anti-government 'Red Shirt' protests in Bangkok have surrendered, after troops stormed their camp. They say they gave themselves up to prevent more bloodshed. But it fueled an increase in violence in the Thai capital, as determined demonstrators set buildings on fire - including a TV station and the stock exchange.
Russia Today

Rioters set fires at the stock exchange, electricity headquarters, banks and government offices. Siam Theatre, a much loved city institution, collapsed in flames. Hundreds of people had to be rescued from the burning headquarters of Channel 3 television. The death toll since fresh outbreaks of violence on Thursday now stands at 51.
The Telegraph (UK)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/7741635/Bangkok-in-flames-as-protesters-refuse-to-back-down.html

Bangkok burns as Thai Red Shirts run amok after leaders' surrender
The Times (UK)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article7130366.ece

BANGKOK (AP) — Downtown Bangkok became a flaming battleground Wednesday as an army assault forced anti-government protest leaders to surrender, enraging followers who shot grenades and set fire to landmark buildings, cloaking the skyline in black smoke.
The Associated Press
http://www.infiniteunknown.net/2010/05/19/thailand-thai-stock-exchange-on-fire-power-blackouts-red-shirt-leaders-surrender-bangkok-under-curfew/

With army tanks, troops and police moving into their rally site, Thailand's antigovernment Red Shirt leaders called an end to their two-month-long occupation of Bangkok's main commercial district on Wednesday afternoon and said they would turn themselves in to the police. Meanwhile, on the streets outside the protest area, gunfights still raged between armed Red Shirts and their sympathizers and government soldiers.
Street battles still raged around the capital as Red Shirts outside the main protest area and their sympathizers burned tires and some buildings and exchanged fire with soldiers at checkpoints meant to choke off access to the main rally.
Time Magazine
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1990184,00.html#ixzz1IqGvn7xt

"Red shirt" protesters earlier torched at least 17 buildings in the capital Bangkok, including the Thai stock exchange and Central World, Southeast Asia's second-biggest department store complex.
Reuters
http://www.tehrantimes.com/Index_view.asp?code=219740

The army declared the situation "under control" Wednesday even as some rank-and-file red shirts defiantly turned to arson and looting as soldiers closed in. The protesters hurled grenades and set fire to one of the country's biggest shopping malls, as well as the Thai stock exchange, several banks and the headquarters of the Metropolitan Electricity Authority.
National Public Radio [NPR](USA)
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126965716

As the protest leaders announced the surrender, grenades directed at the troops exploded. One journalist was injured. Shortly after the surrender news, angry protesters tried to set fire to a shopping mall. They drove away journalists who tried to film them.
Agence France Presse [AFP]
http://www.smh.com.au/world/bangkok-on-fire-as-red-shirts-give-up-20100519-ver1.html

Bangkok, May 20: Irate anti-government protesters set fire to at least 35 buildings in Bangkok in a violent rampage
Deutsche Presse-Agentur [DPA]
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/politics/post-protest-rampage-in-bangkok-leaves-16-dead_100366698.html#ixzz1IqN15tth

and on and on and on...

Thugs and Criminals Red Shirts/Peau Thai who backed their criminal acts. They actually believed they would remove the Government last May with these acts and gain power with no charges laid .

The saddest part is so many Thais still support them. If I was a Thai Teacher ( I am an English Teacher so dont get involved) I would tell the students what happened and actually I know some of the Thai teachers in my school do exactly that .

The same Peau Thai Mob are wanting to gain power and do all it can to get a former PM and absconded convicted criminal pardoned. They have always supported criminal acts.

From the OP:

The Red Shirt claimed a social studies text book for Mattayom 3 (Grade 9) students contained false information which could lead students to believe that they were the cause of all the places being burnt down across the country while the Office of Basic Education dismissed the claim saying that schools could adapt the curriculum to the current events to teach their students.

'claimed', 'contained false info'.

So tell me:

- Aren't all school books in Thailand standard and fixed before the start of the school year?

- Is the book mentioned set for the coming school year (2011-2012)?

- What is the info objected to and why?

- Maybe my understanding of this funny language called English, but 'students to believe they are the cause?'. Poor students, blamed again, just like in 1976 :ermm:

This kind of cretinism should not be tolerated. Facts are facts.

quite right! the books should detail the Army's shooting of innocents - spot on!

I agree with you there. It should all be there. The army's shooting of innocents. The red shirts shooting of innocents. The army's shooting of their own. The red shirts shooting of their own. The red shirts shooting of grenades. The red shirts burning of buildings.

Ummm I would say that there is some room for nuance in the statement "if the school is found to have taught against" ..... It doesn't seem tp say that the school cannot teach the facts at all. It seems to say that subjective information would be looked at and punished. Fact: Arisaman amongst others called for the burning of BKK. Fact: Bangkok had many buildings burned. Fact: The reds rallied at provincial offices upcountry and some red leaders were identified and charged with the burning of provincial offices in places like Nong Khai. No anti-red bias in stating facts.

another post by the famous 'all yellow if gold' poster! no analysis, no independence and no objectivity - I will not go so far as another poster to say 'JD' is being paid to write these things but he sure is biased - talk about 'better dead than red' propaganda - shame on you!

quite right! the books should detail the Army's shooting of innocents - spot on!

Quite right! Put it next to those lines on red-shirts torching some real estate in Bangkok, demolishing phonebooths, vandalizing ATM's and some how targetting SCB and BBL all in the name of democracy. Spot on, dear sir, let's have it :-)

I agree with you there. It should all be there. The army's shooting of innocents. The red shirts shooting of innocents. The army's shooting of their own. The red shirts shooting of their own. The red shirts shooting of grenades. The red shirts burning of buildings.

You left out the red shirts killing the security forces. The red shirt leaders incitement to commit terroristic acts. The red shirt leaders vowing to carry on the fight but surrendering when it became physically dangerous for them. The government offering early elections twice, once in March before the redshirts started lobbing petrol bombs on April 9th, and once before the security forces moved in on the Rachaphrasong encampment. etc etc But all in all you covered it pretty well!

another post by the famous 'all yellow if gold' poster! no analysis, no independence and no objectivity - I will not go so far as another poster to say 'JD' is being paid to write these things but he sure is biased - talk about 'better dead than red' propaganda - shame on you!

Since you are attacking me and not what I posted (and making some innuendo that just aint right) may I assume that you found nothing factually incorrect in my post? Remember, replying to the content of the post is usually better than attacking the poster :)