Local Advice Is Very Much Appreciated.

trevorg

Hope you can give some advice please.

We're (wife, 3 kids and I - I'm the only driver) driving from Ta Phraya (100km NE of Sa Kaew) to Phuket, leaving on Friday. Total distance (according to Google Earth is 1122km). I want to arrive on Sunday 24th as I'm meeting up with my sister and family who are over from Oz.

I've allowed 3 days driving, but it's no problem if we arrive a day earlier.

I have a 19 year old HiAce diesel minibus, which has recently been serviced and fairly reliable, but I am unable to insure for breakdown due to it's age.

Enough background, and this is too 'particular' for a Google search and the site search ended up with too many long threads with minimal information.

I'm looking for 'basic' places to stay with no booking for 1 night in and around the following:

For the 1st night.

Phetchaburi

Cha Am

Hua Hin

or on the 'inland' main road.

Driving from Chumpon either:

4 to Ranong

or 41 further south and 'crossing East to West' on the 4006 and then the 4

or going further South on the East Coast to Khian Sa and 'crossing East to West' on the 44

and then relevant places to stay for the second night.

I would also appreciate any recommendations

Cha Am, just go down to the beach road. Bunch of hotels and guesthouses from 400 baht

Hua Hin, avoid beach area if low price is desired, but look for signs on main road Petchkasem, from 450 baht.

Surat Thani, 100 Islands resort and spa, opposite Tesco, 590 baht for nice rooms and great pool

have a nice trip :)

Cha Am, just go down to the beach road. Bunch of hotels and guesthouses from 400 baht

Hua Hin, avoid beach area if low price is desired, but look for signs on main road Petchkasem, from 450 baht.

Surat Thani, 100 Islands resort and spa, opposite Tesco, 590 baht for nice rooms and great pool

have a nice trip :)

Hi

Even wit the age of the mini bus you could do it comfortably in 1 day, OK you have kids so stop off at Chumpon for the night then down to Phuket. B)

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated!

I do remember driving a similar aged HiAce round Australia in 1992, 25,000km in 3 months - this should be a doddle, but I'm still apprehensive!:rolleyes:

Take your time and keep speed according to vehicles condition and age, thats 90-120 kmh depending on your believe in reincarnation :)

I drive a lot around in Thailand, and dont like to do more than 700km a day. Consentration gets lower, and why not get to see some new places :)

Thank you for your suggestions, much appreciated!

I do remember driving a similar aged HiAce round Australia in 1992, 25,000km in 3 months - this should be a doddle, but I'm still apprehensive!:rolleyes:

Take your time and keep speed according to vehicles condition and age, thats 90-120 kmh depending on your believe in reincarnation :)

I drive a lot around in Thailand, and dont like to do more than 700km a day. Consentration gets lower, and why not get to see some new places :)

You can shake your fist only so many times a day before fatigue sets in .:annoyed:

Thanks for the replies guys, we made it to 'Jacks beach about 20 km south of (excuse spelling) Prabuan Kirikhan, total 660km in 9 hours (steady 105kmh) with a 1 hour lunch stop and a bit of a traffic jam to get off the ring road towards Samut Sakhon, Found a brand new 2 bedroom villa with air (&wireless) for 1000 a night. Drove along Beach road at Cha Am but it was only 2pm so carried on. Should arrive Phuket tomorrow no problem!