Are There Laws About Construction Times Here?

kburn

i rent a house in Ekamai and a new house is being built behind mine, about 2 meters from my bedroom windows. their usual work hours seemed to be around 6am to 11pm everyday. so far they've mostly been digging and driving piles(horrible) but 3-4 nights a week from 12-4am they fire up the cranes and excavator to unload delivery trucks. also during this late night work they turn on a bunch of high powered lights that completely illuminate the inside of my house even with the blinds down.

as you can imagine it's been next to impossible to get a good nights sleep. we've talked to them several times and they'll be good and shut things down at a decent hour for a couple of days then go right back to their old ways. we've also asked to speak to the manager and for a phone number for the owner and construction company but they just play dumb saying they don't know.

does anyone know if there are any laws regarding this? any ideas about what i can do? i don't want to move. i've lived here 4 years and really like this house and area.

here's the view from my bedroom

post-28927-0-65188400-1303541457_thumb.j

A Thai housing contractor told me that withing a residential area work could not start prior to 0700, nor go past 1800. This is in Chiang Mai so cannot help on your area. The local Ampor could answer the question, I would imagine.

Why not have a word with the farang in the picture, maybe he can help?

Thats a heavy duty piledriver, are you sure its a house being built and not a condo?

Depending on who you talk to, you will hear various stories about pile driving being banned, not to be carried out within 30 metres of residential property etc etc.

Yes there are laws, a visit to you local khet office (Khet Ekamai?) or does it come under Thong Lor? will give the answers.

As mentioned by a previous poster, who do you think will enforce them?

Some of these construction companies are police owned, so basically a no win situation.

Mods, why not move this over to the Real Estate and Housing forum where more knowledgeable posters such as Trogers will no doubt reply.

You have just demonstrated an excellent reason for rental over buying. Granted you might not want to move but at least you have the option.

Also brought to mind is the general difference of city life and country existence. The odd trade-offs play for some and not for others.

You have just demonstrated an excellent reason for rental over buying. Granted you might not want to move but at least you have the option.

Also brought to mind is the general difference of city life and country existence. The odd trade-offs play for some and not for others.

Indeed. And despite what I said above, some 15 years ago we purchased a very nice plot of land in my wife's village and one day we will build a nice house there when we have time to supervise its building. There is no right or wrong, whatever works for you.

Thats got to be driving you crazy.... If you know a Thai who is likely to be respected by the Police at Thonglor station taking him along with you when you make a formal complaint might improve your chances of something being done about this.

Although I don't know for sure, I think there must be some law prohibiting construction outside of normal office hours. You may need to make some form of 'donation' to help things along when you visit the police station - You are well within your rights to file a formal complaint and doing so is at least worth a try.

Construction going on during the high season in a tourist area is in a way even worse, it threatens people in their livelyhood, think of the people owning the hotel next to the building site. But examples are rare of local authorities enforcing a construction stop during the high season, or maybe at least a rule that noisy work shouldn't start before 10AM, so that tourists are not hammered out of their bed.

Edited by keestha