Aeon Atms Are Charging 150 Baht !

There are times when a bank will be having a communications network problem or something similar. Often those kinds of messages are temporary, and the next time you try the same ATM in a few days, it should be fine. You didn't indicate whether the attempts you mentioned were all in a single day, or spread out over time...

Thats what I thought at first but went back the next day and still no joy. Was surprised to see

SCB's attempt at a double shafting with dynamic currency conversion "for my convenience".

Hope its just a network problem as you suggest ...

When you look at the SCB dynamic currency conversion (DCC) rate which is reflected on SCB's Exchange Rate Webpage it calculates out to approx a 3.6% lower exchange rate. Although the page says it's the DCC rate for credit cards when processed through the SCB network, I expect they use the same rate for debit/ATM card transactions. And then to add salt to the wound, you still get hit with your home country bank fee(s) that your home country bank will apply for card foreign transactions. So, say you did a DCC cash withdrawal or point of sale transaction. 3.6% lower DCC exchange rate plus say a 3% additional foreign transaction fee charged by your home country bank (most banks charge in the 1-3% range or higher) plus maybe another home country bank foreign transaction fee of say a $5 flat fee per foreign transaction. That all adds up to at least 6.6% and that percentage could be significant higher "percentage-wise" depending on the transaction amount and if their was a foreign transaction flat fee applied on top of the home country bank's basic foreign transaction percentage fee

It's just a scam which banks/merchants try to hype as being a benefit to the customer; but the only thing it's good for is more profits for the bank/merchants...it that simple. Just say no to DCC!

And open an account with a bank which does not charge a foriegn transaction fee on their debit/ATM card. Fewer of these bank/financial companies everyday providing such cards, but there are still a lot out there...you just need to do your research. Just since January, I've open two new home country bank accounts primarily to get their no foreign tranaction fee debit card (with ATM fee reimbursement if req'd)...and even opened a new home country credit card account which provides a no foreign transaction fee credit card. So, to expand my "Just say no to DCC" phrase, Just say no to DCC and foreign transaction fees!

By the way, used an AEON ATM in western Bangkok yesterday; no 150 baht foreign card fee charged...still free.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It might be quick, easy and no fee... It also might not...

Counter withdrawals are a legitimate, though much more rarely used way of withdrawing funds as an alternative to ATMs.... but it's not nearly as simple or clean as ATMs have been. Here's why:

1. Based on a lot of past TV member reports, some Thai banks and branches will simply refuse to do them, and direct the farang outside to use the ATM instead... If that happens to someone, the alternative is simply to look for another bank or branch and try again. So there's a potential time and hassle factor.

2. Some banks, and I'm thinking SCB in particular, though there may be others, may give a different and lower exchange rate on counter withdrawals than on ATM withdrawals. Most of the time the ATM and counter rate should be the same. But if I remember correctly, I believe SCB was giving a lower rate using something they call Dynamic Currency Conversion. DCC is something you really want to avoid, because that's the bank setting its own lower exchange rate.

3. You also need to be aware of how your home country bank (the issuer of the card you're using) treats foreign counter withdrawals. The Thai bank may not charge a fee for those, but your home country bank may, just the same as many charge a 2 or 3% fee on foreign ATM withdrawals and purchases.

4. And lastly, there's the hassle and risk factor of having to carry around your passport when you go to make counter withdrawals... A small risk of loss, of course. But a major hassle if one happens to lose their passport along the way somewhere. FWIW, I've had other spur of the moment Thai bank transactions from time to time where I didn't have my passport, but only had a laminated color photocopy card of the passport facepage and visa stamp on the reverse that I carry in my wallet all the time. And the banks, I'm thinking SCB and BKKB, accepted that in lieu of the original passport for making deposits (But I've never tried that with a counter withdrawal.)

I agree. Some banks give you the weird look if you ask for this type of transaction. A tourist area is more likely to have success finding banks that do counter cash advances; Bangkok Bank is the one I always go to. But yes, they want to see original passport (not copy). So you must remember to bring it with you.

AEON is still an easier choice, but only if you know where it is.

Well...several days have now passed since the last post by the creator of this thread, TV member Chivas, and nothing new from him....

I did get the impression, as I reread the posts above, that he may be away from home and his Thai wife is the one making the ATM withdrawals. And then he's reporting seeing the debit from his account.

It occurred to me that another possibility -- besides the potential fee coming from his home country bank -- is that some AEON ATMs are not particularly well signed, and have a color scheme that is similar to at least one other Thai bank, Thai Military Bank, with their blue and grey colors.

It's possible that wifey thought she was using an AEON ATM but actually used one from a different, Thai bank.... That would explain the charging of a 150 baht fee, when no one else posting here has seen any fee from AEON.

Withdrew 2 weeks ago and no fee as usual. Not sure when I will withdraw again. I have contacted AEON to verify this rumor.

So the only good point with Aeon is that they give 40000 thb each time (stupid to withdraw less than this) when any other ATM gives a maximum of 20k or 25k (bkk bank it seems).

No, that is just one good point, not paying the 150 THB ATM fee is the best point :rolleyes:

AEON, Big C South, Pattaya, today, E*trade Visa branded debit card, no fee other than the pesky 1% foreign transaction fee now levied by E*trade Bank :angry:

3 good points:

- No 150 baht transaction fee

- best TT exchange rate (the visa/mc exchange rate)

- maximum withdraw 40000 baht one time (I have not tested this, but have done 30000 no problem).

Edited by 4evermaat

After 4 months of no problems Aeon ATMS in Chiang Rai

now responding with "invalid transaction" for standard 7k

withdrawal. 5 attempts at 3 different ATMs 2 locations.

Went to SCB and paid the annoying 150 bt.

Aussie 28 degrees mastercard.

Are you using a "newer" AEON atm machine? I have the exact same problem when I went to RAMA II; they have an aeon center and I tried to use the ATM there and got the "invalid transaction" error. The line was long, so I could not try the othe two atm machine, but they looked new. Maybe hardware conflict?

I went to the Big C shopping center across the street and ran into a small AEON atm (located down 10 meters from Bangkok bank), the older model I was familiar with. Withdrew without a problem.

After 4 months of no problems Aeon ATMS in Chiang Rai

now responding with "invalid transaction" for standard 7k

withdrawal. 5 attempts at 3 different ATMs 2 locations.

Went to SCB and paid the annoying 150 bt.

Aussie 28 degrees mastercard.

Are you using a "newer" AEON atm machine? I have the exact same problem when I went to RAMA II; they have an aeon center and I tried to use the ATM there and got the "invalid transaction" error. The line was long, so I could not try the othe two atm machine, but they looked new. Maybe hardware conflict?

I went to the Big C shopping center across the street and ran into a small AEON atm (located down 10 meters from Bangkok bank), the older model I was familiar with. Withdrew without a problem.

I tried an older model "double wide" atm/deposit machine a "normal width" atm (also older model)

and a shiny new six week old unit at the recently opened Chiang Rai Central Plaza ... same result

each time.

They have the new machine at Carefour in Pattaya and I used it the other day with no problems

I have often wondered if AEON can give more than 40,000 THB at a time but since my US Bank limits me to $1,000 USD per day, I have never been able to try

Anyone with a higher limit ever try ?

Koh Samui. Aeon machines (Tesco and BIG C) both not working for past two days with foreign cards (MC debit) 'Invalid transaction' - Two different machines over two different days, never had this before with either machine for past two years, presume firmware problem and the rollout of the 150b charge (WHICH btw is THE most expensive in the world Ive ever seen)...

Had to use other machines @ 150b

SORRY BUT ITS OVER Robbing b@stards, I mean the press problems when banks in england tried to charge 1 quid, and Thailand try to charge 3x times that or 60% of a daily wage for a withdrawl (on top of banks back home leiving another 2.75% plus 1quid sometimes)... :bah:

Edited by devdrinker

Koh Samui. Aeon machines (Tesco and BIG C) both not working for past two days with foreign cards (MC debit) 'Invalid transaction' - Two different machines over two different days, never had this before with either machine for past two years, presume firmware problem and the rollout of the 150b charge (WHICH btw is THE most expensive in the world Ive ever seen)...

Had to use other machines @ 150b

SORRY BUT ITS OVER Robbing b@stards, I mean the press problems when banks in england tried to charge 1 quid, and Thailand try to charge 3x times that or 60% of a daily wage for a withdrawl (on top of banks back home leiving another 2.75% plus 1quid sometimes)... :bah:

You make a lot of presumptions, considering (other than the OP) there have been no reports of Aeon charging a fee.

They have the new machine at Carefour in Pattaya and I used it the other day with no problems

I have often wondered if AEON can give more than 40,000 THB at a time but since my US Bank limits me to $1,000 USD per day, I have never been able to try

Anyone with a higher limit ever try ?

My card has a $2000 limit. The most I have been able to pull from an Aeon machine is 40k at a time.

To Dev above, you're getting things a bit confused....

Having an AEON machine not work when you try to use your card isn't the same thing as charging a 150 baht fee.

Obviously, IF AEON had begun charging a 150 baht fee for foreign card withdrawals, their machines would work and accept your card in order to collect the fee.

More than likely, it was just some problem with the machines or the communications network that serves them on Koh Samui...which probably isn't the most reliable.

Other posters here continue to report being able to use AEON machines with foreign cards WITHOUT incurring any fee.

Edited by jfchandler

The best way to squash rumor:

Sent: 14 May 2011 10:34

To: Customer Service Development

Subject: Suggestion & Complaint

Dear AEON,

Please find the details of the Customer who has contacted:-

Subject:

Suggestion & Complaint

Name:

jon

Email:

I hear from some of my friends that they are being charged 150 baht from AEON Atm for non-Thai atm cards. I want to confirm that this is true. I use aeon atm machine because of zero-fee charged to atm cards.

Best regards,

AEON Thana Sinsap Team

========================================

Dear Mr.Jon

Thank you for your inquiry.

We would like to inform you that the cardholder using foreign card at our ATM for cash advance,

There might be a handling charge for cash advance from the issuer;

It means your own bank, as the following example.

1. Cash Advance Handling Charge (Imposed by Issuer)

2. Cross Border 0.4% of total cashing amount

3. International Service Assessment (ISA) 1% of total cashing amount

4. Mark-up from Foreign Exchange

So would like you to check with your issuer bank about handling charge for international cash advance.

Customer Service Department

AEON Thana Sinsap (Thailand) PCL

699 Modernform Tower 21 floor. Srinakarin Rd.

Suanluang Suanluang Bangkok 10250 Thailand

Tel: 02-665-0069 Ext#3343 

Fax: 02-665-0379

Sent: 16 พฤษภาคม 2554 14:37

To: AEON Customer Service

Subject: Re: FW: Suggestion & Complaint

But to confirm, no charge is made from AEON?

Regarding to your response , we have no place to charge access fee to foreign card holder.

so there you have it. ;)

Regarding to your response , we have no place to charge access fee to foreign card holder.

Nice to hear, even if it's from an AEON CSR...

Hope it puts to rest the repeated rumoring from posters who say things like: they've heard from someone who's heard from someone who talked to someone who knew someone who used to work at AEON that they're planning to charge an ATM fee at some point in the future... :whistling:

Nice to hear, even if it's from an AEON CSR...

Hope it puts to rest the repeated rumoring from posters who say things like: they've heard from someone who's heard from someone who talked to someone who knew someone who used to work at AEON that they're planning to charge an ATM fee at some point in the future... :whistling:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, why was the OP charged ? ;) Aeon machines are NOT set up for withdrawal charges so perhaps HE can explain. :)

The spouse may have really withdrawn the funds from a Thai bank ATM that looked similar to an AEON ATM causing the 10,000 baht plus 150 baht foriegn card fee to hit his home country bank account. Or, it's his home country bank charging a 1.5% foreign transaction fee (possibly a new fee) since if you take the 10,000 baht withdrawn and take 1.5% of that, it equals 150 baht. Either way the total charge hitting his home country account would have been 10,150 baht, which is the amount that hit his account.

The spouse may have really withdrawn the funds from a Thai bank ATM that looked similar to an AEON ATM causing the 10,000 baht plus 150 baht foriegn card fee to hit his home country bank account. Or, it's his home country bank charging a 1.5% foreign transaction fee (possibly a new fee) since if you take the 10,000 baht withdrawn and take 1.5% of that, it equals 150 baht. Either way the total charge hitting his home country account would have been 10,150 baht, which is the amount that hit his account.

BUT, any ATM will ask to agree with the 150bht charge, EXCEPT Aeon, OP, sort your mrs out. :rolleyes:

Yes... among the various THAI banks, I haven't heard of or seen any that don't have the "permission" menu on the ATM screen regarding the 150 baht fee for using non-Thai bank ATM cards...

AEON doesn't have the "permission" menu because, obviously, they're NOT a Thai bank and thus don't charge the 150 baht fee.

Again for the last time to doubters, the machine charged a 150 baht withdrawal fee, not 1.5%, not foreign transaction fee of 150 baht,and not anything else.

My wife is intelligent with 2 restaurants and starting a Political Diploma course and her husband has been in finance for 26 years.

For WHATEVER reason my card was charged.

As already stated we will use the same machine in around 2 weeks time and report back.If it charges, than simply wont use again.

Edited by Chivas

Again for the last time to doubters, the machine charged a 150 baht withdrawal fee, not 1.5%, not foreign transaction fee of 150 baht,and not anything else.

My wife is intelligent with 2 restaurants and starting a Political Diploma course and her husband has been in finance for 26 years.

For WHATEVER reason my card was charged.

As already stated we will use the same machine in around 2 weeks time and report back.If it charges, than simply wont use again.

Next time, do a 8000 baht withdrawal, and see if the fee is still 150 baht.

[quote name='Chivas'

......As already stated we will use the same machine in around 2 weeks time and report back.If it charges, than simply wont use again.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

^ ? Why?

Other Bank ATM's will charge you certainly the 150 ThB fee, apparently, for one or another strange reason, Aeon charged 150 ThB fee this very day at this very place, it seems your wife was just not lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATED 08/06

Wife as asked went to same ATM yesterday 07/06

Across front of screen is A4 Sheet informing all and sundry that this machine charges 150 Baht.

TIT.

UPDATED 08/06

Wife as asked went to same ATM yesterday 07/06

Across front of screen is A4 Sheet informing all and sundry that this machine charges 150 Baht.

TIT.

Must be the only one in the country,

Take a photo of it, and the page. :)

Not to hijack but does anyone know the max wd limit for Aeon?

I think it's 40,000 baht assuming your ATM/Debit card allows that much per day. I not only the AEON limited, but your ATM/debit card limit which has to be considered. Just today I did another AEON withdrawal for 29,000 baht (no 150 fee charged) which is about 960 USD....the US debit card I was using has a daily limit of 1000 USD so I could have pulled a little over 30,000 baht based on the exchange rate I got which was approx 30.2 baht/USD.

Me and my wife both have nationwide cards and use both machines in buriram...Big C and Tweekit... Doesn't matter what you withdraw....still no charge again today.....never ever been charged 150bht or seen it on the screen...

Me and my wife both have nationwide cards and use both machines in buriram...Big C and Tweekit... Doesn't matter what you withdraw....still no charge again today.....never ever been charged 150bht or seen it on the screen...

Yep, perhaps the OP is being taken for 150bht. from you know who. :sorry: Only joking. :D