Toyota Corolla Twin Cam 16 Valve

Stuart

The reverse Gear sometimes fails (too often to ignore) to engage for up to 40 seconds or longer (occasionally).

I have been told to flush out the gearbox and replace the oil. The 'mechanic' wanted 4,500 Baht to do this. Is there any truth in what he suggests?

The clutch is ok. The car is in excellent condition at 21 years.

Any help would be appreciated!

I am a little confused as i am not sure wheather you have an auto gear box or a manual.

if its a manual you have a linkage problem, and no amount of oil changes will cure that.

first things first, if auto gear box take the car for a run, bring it up to operating temprature, and then, with the engine running, and car in neutral check the level of the auto transmittion fluid.

next, auto gearboxes have a series of filters and a sludge trap normally located at the bottom of the pan. if the filters are clogged, you may find a delay in engaging the selected gear. Curious that its only in the reverse gear.There are also vacum actuated shifting devives to actuate the selected gear. this may be part of the problem, as its 21 years old. i have a 5 speed manual version, recently purchased, and so far so good, they are great little cars.I suggest you take it to a toyota dealer, and ask for a complete service of the transmittion.

If any one can recommend the "best" toyota dealer in CM I will be gratefull for the info. I am going to try the dealer near central Airport Plaza, as i want a complete service done to mine.

4500 baht just to change the oil seems rather exessive.

Good luck, and let me know how it works out.

(forgive the poor spelling as its late and i am tired)

Kind regards,

Dr F

For the record

, Toyota dealer near airport flyover today changed engine oil. Repaired aircon relay, changed 3 light globes, and repaired clutch master cylinder, but new one on order.

Oh, and they painted the tyres a pleasing black colour.

Totoal cost 1295 Baht. There is a very helpfull girl whos job appears to be assisting ferang who's Thai Language skills dont extend to explaining mechanical problems.

Kind Regards,

DrF