Importing My Thai Wifes Car From Uk

Hi Guys, my wife and i are moving back to live in Thailand after living in the UK for 2 years and she wants to bring her car home, which she has owned and had registered to her for 18 months that she has driven it and will not be selling it upon return as it is her pride and joy, I would like to know if she will still have to pay import duty on the car on entering Thailand and if so at what rate

many thanks

Patrick

the short answer is she will have to pay duty (unless she is a returning diplomat). The amount depends on various factors such as engine size , customs estimate of the cars value etc. As a rough guide she should expect to pay , in total, considerably more than the cars current value in the UK. Its possible to do , but expensive.

I'll move this to Motoring, there are quite a few threads on vehicle import, but the general consensus of opinion is don't bother. The duty rates of up to 300% of the vehicle's value in Thailand are really just not worth it.

Like others say - not worth it, also as many members tried to do that already, they just lost their cars if the customs skunks found their car attractive. Happened to more than few as I recall reading. Customs will crank up the fees and taxes and you will just be forsed to walk away and they later get a hold of the car for cheap.