Internet Connection Problems

steveb

Having problems with my internet connection.It works okay and then change a page and can't connect. Try it a few times then will connect. Close the browser and open and cannot connect until trying a few times before can open a page.

Just had the technician from true test the line and he said the line is okay and it's my computer problem.He thought it may be a virus and have to re-install windows.I scanned for viruses but none found. Anyone have any suggestions of what to do before having to re-install windows. Could it be a network connection problem and if so,what to do.

If it is common to all web sites? It may be your not getting names resolved at the dns vary fast. Do you know which dns you are using? modem type? which isp? and which browser? then again it can be heavy traffic and will get better later. I have had a bad internet day with ToT as the delay before pages are found no matter the dns is up to 4 seconds sometimes - international bandwidth has been the pits all day. A 5 min 360p clip on youtube buffered for 37 min before I could watch it. Our ToT at its finest. It might just get better.

Yes it is common to all web sites and using true dns and billion modem type from true isp. and both Firefox and internet explorer browser. The technician said it is the computer problem as he tested everything and connected the lan to his laptop and I saw it worked smooth but when connected to my computer it's not a stable connection.

Yes it is common to all web sites and using true dns and billion modem type from true isp. and both Firefox and internet explorer browser. The technician said it is the computer problem as he tested everything and connected the lan to his laptop and I saw it worked smooth but when connected to my computer it's not a stable connection.

What a truly awful experience you must be having.

Is it dial-in? Try to turn the modem sound on or listen on another phone plugged into the line. Do you hear the modems (yours and the modem you are dialed into) constantly drop the connection and then renegotiaite (high hum, low hum, ... ) the connection? Then the problem is either switching equipment inside your apartment building or the phone lines from your apartment to the service. Good luck trying to lay the blame. ADSL might do better.

Is your computer hardwired to the modem/router or do you have a wireless modem/router and using a wireless connection to your computer?

If a wireless connection, the problem can easily be caused by your computer setup (like a incorrect driver for the wireless chip in your computer). I've had the problem before with my computer where I would lose my internet IP connection. But if hooked up to the router via RJ45 (hardwired) I could maintain a rock steady connection 24/7. I've had this problem twice: once due to a laptop wireless chip "driver" problem, and second time due to a Bluetooth wireless chip "driver" problem which was important to interfacing with/making my separate wireless chip driver work properly...on my particular laptop if the Bluetooth function is not working properly it impacts my wireless function.

If using a wireless connection, first trying hooking up to your router/modem via a RJ45 hardline connection. You may have tried that already, but I can't really be sure from your posts. Good luck.

Edited by Pib

Having problems with my internet connection.It works okay and then change a page and can't connect. Try it a few times then will connect. Close the browser and open and cannot connect until trying a few times before can open a page.

Temporarily disable your anti-virus software AND firewall, then try browsing the web. If you still encounter problems, you can rule out AV and firewall as being the cause.

Also try:

Clear Windows DNS Cache

Just had the technician from true test the line and he said the line is okay and it's my computer problem.He thought it may be a virus and have to re-install windows.I scanned for viruses but none found.

What AV program did you use to perform the scan?

Avira Rescue CD

A linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections.

How to use

HijackThis Log

Scan your computer to find settings changed by spyware, malware or other unwanted programs. Trend Micro HijackThis generates an in-depth report to enable you to analyze and fix your infected computer.

How to use

Malwarebytes

Detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.

How to use

System Sweeper

A recovery tool that can help you start an infected PC and perform an offline scan to help identify and remove rootkits and other advanced malware. In addition, Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper can be used if you cannot install or start an antivirus solution on your PC, or if the installed solution can’t detect or remove malware on your PC.

How to use

Reset Windows Hosts file

This article helps you reset the hosts file back to the default.

View Article

BTW, stay away from programs that claim to enhance network or system performance (this includes registry cleaners). Use proven tools above to scan your computer for malicious software. To get rid of junk files, run the Disk Cleanup utility.

Could it be a network connection problem and if so,what to do.

See post #5.

Edited by Supernova

Couldn't solve the problem and had to re-format. Everything is working fine now and internet connection is good. Been using Nod32 and it didn't detect any viruses but it seems like it must have been some kind of virus. Switched to Kaspersky so hope it will do better at catching viruses. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

If you download Malwarebytes do not get the registered copy as it sometimes blocks websites.

Come on man....it just block the dodgy websites with malware like scripts within them. If you don't want it to do that, just turn off 'website blocking'. :)

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

All are talking abort speed, but the problem here in Thailand is rather Bandwidth. When you sign up for an internet service, you accept that you speed is dependent of how many user is on line. Bandwidth/user then give what is available for you to surf. If many is on line you might get in the situation that you can not connect or are jumped off. So the internet providers here is Thailand is actually selling a lot of AIR, like an airplane company selling 300 seats in a plane which have only seats for 98. Or a car company selling you a car to be delivered next week, you pay and they tell you sorry you have to wait 3 month, even though you have played.

This lack of bandwidth are driving many of us crazy, also be course the providers try to convince you that if you upgrade to a higher speed you will be better of. This is absolutely not true, as as the servers are the same and the bandwidth problem is not reduced. But if no one is online then of course you have a faster download as the only difference is the limit for download speed. But otherwise you are still stuck in the slow bandwidth muck. The people from the providers don’t know anything about servers and bandwidth, where I live. Questions send to headquarter remain un answered, The reason is that if you have many subscribers and small bandwidth you earn more money, which of course is more interesting than good service. I am convinced that the providers consult each other, so the service and prices is the same, and you will find little to no change by trying a new provider .Unfortunately Thailand have no protection for consumers and is one of the few countries where you can sell "AIR" and get away with it..

If you want to look closer the download Bitmeter from Cnet or other, and you can follow you speed as is. You will also see as load rises the servers will multiplex your connection. ( send a bit to you stopping and sending to another , and then return to you for a morsel), as a sure sign that the bandwidth is used up.

So when buying insist to get informed about bandwidth, security for logon, and minimum speed you can get. If we al do that then maybe it will get better, what else can vi do? Naj Burriram just upgraded from 6 mb to 8mb, with no better connection but occasionally higher download, on 3bb.

s3it