Rugby World Cup?

now France 25 Japan 18 after 55 minutes play

I'm using this link has been most reliable of the ones I tried; commentary teams vary in quality, thought the NZ ones for Scotland Romania were particularly poor (Murray Mexted and someone) and dreadfully patronising towards Romania who with just a little luck (or ref ending the game with 10 to go!) could have won.

After the captains' interviews Mexted said Romania would not make top-tier rugby while they accepted defeat so well - peculiar thing to say when the R captain, in his second (or third?) language, English, was merely polite in defeat and thanked his team, the opponents and the crowd.

Scotland, about 2/10 - Georgia will feel more confident after that poor showing.

Murray Mexted is a plonker

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now France 25 Japan 18 after 55 minutes play

I'm using this link has been most reliable of the ones I tried; commentary teams vary in quality, thought the NZ ones for Scotland Romania were particularly poor (Murray Mexted and someone) and dreadfully patronising towards Romania who with just a little luck (or ref ending the game with 10 to go!) could have won.

After the captains' interviews Mexted said Romania would not make top-tier rugby while they accepted defeat so well - peculiar thing to say when the R captain, in his second (or third?) language, English, was merely polite in defeat and thanked his team, the opponents and the crowd.

Scotland, about 2/10 - Georgia will feel more confident after that poor showing.

Yes a total arse when in reality they tired towards the end and it allowed us to breathe a sigh of relief. Not a bad team at all.

Japan lost their shape towards the end of the last game. Bit of a shame that...ruined what could have been a real nailbiting finish.

Agreed.

I thought (hoped) he was finished as a commentator, suppose with so many matches they were desperate . . . his comments re Romania really were 'off' I thought, maybe he was hoping for some controversy, a tantrum, but the Romanian captain was well-mannered and polite, as a captain representing his country should be.

Just to add here, i don't like Grant Fox as a commentator either.

who are these blokes?

Edited by Atmos

been a tough encounter

too many warnings from the ref and too slow with that yellow card - should have gone against Sheridan when he was penalised, at this level - how many warnings should a team get from the ref?

Expect Argentina to fade last 20min as their subs won't be match for England's, England by 10, may be a day of flattering scores - Scotland, France and now England?.

And you wonder why the ABs walk around with such so called arrogance, with a performance like we saw from The power houses of NH rugby today, you have to think that they're playing poorly so the ABs will fail into that trap of thinking that they've sewn the whole thing up again.... gee that's sneaky :D

England always seem to struggle in the early group games, they always seem to get through and into the final stages at the end though, eh (erm except 1999 - and the l;ast time NZ won in 1987)? Can't say I like the black kit though - what's wrong with the old white 'n' lions kit from the last RWC.

I would not use early games as base of identifying winners - it takes a lot more to continue early form (along with inevitable injuries that come with sprinting out the box). AB's had some sticky second half moments with Tonga too of course, and that was also "a walk in the park". They won, as expected, as did all the "big NH teams" - and that's what counts in the end - 2003 showed that with some dreadful and boring play from England, but they held up that Web Ellis silverware in the end.

Edited by wolf5370

England were worse than dreadful and boring what was their game plan? Infringe continually and hope no penalty kicks went over? There is 'winning ugly', but today's match was worse than that - not saying they deserved to lose, but none of them would enjoy watching that match replayed.

if eg Romania, Japan and Argentina had won today . . . (big if, I know) . . . then what a tournament we'd have.

Instead, no surprises, many of the upcoming games have no value in the overall competition, but still important to the individual teams and their supporters (Romania v Georgia in Palmerston North, anyone?)

Will watch USA v Ireland, two reasons, in my town of birth, New Plymouth, and USA Eagles basing themselves at my former club, Tukapa Rugby Club - so sentimental value; but expect Ireland by 15-20.

One things today's matches have shown us, with all the crucial points coming in the last 15min, is the value of good substitutes, something the smaller countries lack.

3233936.jpg?795

Edited by Atmos

I reckon it's great to see a rugby minnow nation to get up and have a crack at a major one, even if they lose, it would give them plenty of heart that they are closing the gap in skill levels, they def weren't low in their determination and passion. As said earlier, a couple of shock results would have made things interesting!

I reckon it's great to see a rugby minnow nation to get up and have a crack at a major one, even if they lose, it would give them plenty of heart that they are closing the gap in skill levels, they def weren't low in their determination and passion. As said earlier, a couple of shock results would have made things interesting!

I thought the two forced early subs for Argentina were outstanding yesterday. Sure they ran out of steam late on but what a fine performance!

And you wonder why the ABs walk around with such so called arrogance, with a performance like we saw from The power houses of NH rugby today, you have to think that they're playing poorly so the ABs will fail into that trap of thinking that they've sew

Edited by Hackett

none, or didn't you know that?

Unfortunately these teams rarely meet in RWCs

only three times for a 100% record, three wins 91, 95, 99, including two home losses for the England side.

and disappointingly, the win average drops to just 79.3% in the history of matches between these countries1905-2010, England winning 6 from 34..

Edited by Atmos

And you wonder why the ABs walk around with such so called arrogance, with a performance like we saw from The power houses of NH rugby today, you have to think that they're playing poorly so the ABs will fail into that trap of thinking that they've sewn the whole thing up again.... gee that's sneaky :D

Yep, you're good flat track bullies but bottle it against the big boys when it actually matters.

Less of the arrogance, or so your recoed would suggest. ;) btw, i'm not taking the piss, i've just looked at the RWC record books. The AB's would be better off buttoning it up!!

Now thats banter but its gotta hurt!!!!!!!!! :D

Edited by carmine

several rugby threads running . . . four

thought the Ireland-USA the best so far, not the best conditions but both sides played well, saw stats at end Ireland had 70% possession, USA made 101 tackles, lots of running and good defence

now looking forward to SA putting 30+ on Wales.

^ I was wrong with that pick!

stats at end of match, SA won 17-16 with 42% territory, 40% possession, and gave away 10 penalties (v 5 by Wales)

Wales-Samoa on Sunday 18th; Samoa play their first game midweek Weds 14th v Namibia, think this is one of the few occasions a team has 2 matches in 4 days

Edited by Atmos

^ perhaps the ball choked? One Welsh win v SA in 105 years is enough . . .

read an article questioning if the new ball for this RWC is a problem for kickers - or is this just an excuse for the two poor kickers in that Arg-Eng match? Nothing else to blame at a fully-enclosed stadium.

see Lawes has been cited for putting his knee into the Argentine player on Saturday, I will be surprised if he gets any penalty (but don't quote me, i have been wrong before)

darn, wish the Georgians had done one on the Scots !

anyway its been a good tournament so far, apart from the usual different interpretations of laws by certain refs.

an interesting fact that i have been keeping a close eye on wink.gif is that apart from W. Samoa all the other favourites for the games played so far haven't been able to overturn the handicaps layed out by the bookies prior to kick off and i still cant believe that the all Blacks are still a great price at 4/6.

IMHO the Wallabies will come unstuck like they usually do when they come up against teams with stronger packs. the Irish game should be a good marker !

darn, wish the Georgians had done one on the Scots !

anyway its been a good tournament so far, apart from the usual different interpretations of laws by certain refs.

an interesting fact that i have been keeping a close eye on wink.gif is that apart from W. Samoa all the other favourites for the games played so far haven't been able to overturn the handicaps layed out by the bookies prior to kick off and i still cant believe that the all Blacks are still a great price at 4/6.

IMHO the Wallabies will come unstuck like they usually do when they come up against teams with stronger packs. the Irish game should be a good marker !

I suppose you must be nervous about qualifying. To be honest, the way things are standing, you'd be as well staying where you are and playing the French. I can see the Blacks choking on le coq again (and then going on to win the tournament)

I can't see them getting to the end without a disappointment, and that would be the least that they could hope for....

SC

Edit: anyway, see you in the Final; I can't see us beating you twice....

Edited by StreetCowboy

5627226.jpg

KICKING ON: Russia halfback Alexander Yanyushkin gets a taste of Stadium Taranaki during the captain's run last night.

Nuclear war today; we not quite, but it is USA v Russia played at Taranaki Stadium, New Plymouth, 2.30pm Thai time.

While neither team likely to make it past pool play, a lot of rivalry here and I hope it's a good close game. Last result was USA won 32-25 earlier his year.

And a Welshman! Russian national team director Kingsley Jones, assisted by former Kiwi league and England rugby international Henry Paul. Add in Eddie O'Sullivan from Ireland for the USA and it's a wonderful mix of cultures (and accents!)

In Taranaki the rumour was that Hilary Clinton and Vladimir Putin were to attend, but no; the Russian Deputy Prime Minister is there instead, as well as a Russian billionaire and Miss Russia. Also the US ambassador and the Marines band.

Adam Byrnes playing for Russia has an interesting story; he's played for Queensland and Melbourne Rebels and was born in Oz to a Russian mother, she went there after WWII, says he could only speak Russian till he started school at 5, genuine heritage there - and one more accent on the field.

As always - may the best team win!

Atmos - the Man from Taranaki