Thailand Expands Visas On Arrival List To 48

The Phuket News - Tuesday, 31st May 2011 10:10

The government has added six countries to the list of those whose citizens qualify for 30-day tourist visas on arrival in Thailand.

Five of the countries are former Soviet bloc states – the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Poland and Slovenia. The sixth is the tiny European principality of Lichtenstein.

The visas-on-arrival list now totals 48 countries.

At overland border checkpoints, with the exception of Malaysia, the visa-on-arrival period granted is 15 days.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/wp-post.php?id=25255

Not only is it wrong on that term (it is visa exempt entry) they are wrong about land border entry being 15 days for all (it is up to the agreements with the specific country) and Malaysia only has a longer entry if using the Malaysian border. A few countries even get 90 days at a land border.

• 1 month later...

The article was probably not intended as a hoax but it seems to have been written by someone who does not understand the subject matter.

The up-to-date list of the 28 countries whose nationals qualify for the visa on arrival is here on the webseite of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Liechtenstein is not a recent addition, it has been on that list for many years. The same is true for the other five countries that are mentioned.

The period of permission to stay for holders of a visa on arrival is 15 days, as the article says in the body of its text, not 30 days as indicated in the first, bold sentence. This newspaper article is best ignored completely.

• 3 weeks later...

polish embassy http://www.bangkok.polemb.net/index.php?document=1

the first paragraph (at the top, middle of the page):

"KOMUNIKAT DLA OSÓB ODWIEDZAJĄCYCH TAJLANDIĘ

2011-08-09

Ambasada RP w Bangkoku uprzejmie informuje, iż z dniem 11 sierpnia 2011 r. obywatele RP zostali zwolnieni z obowiązku wizowego przy wjeździe do Królestwa Tajlandii w celu turystycznym na okres nieprzekraczający 30 dni. Właściwe władze imigracyjne Tajlandii zostały poinformowane o ww. zwolnieniu wizowym."

Google translate of the above message:-

"NOTICE TO VISITORS OF THAILAND

2011-08-09

Embassy in Bangkok kindly informs that on 11 August 2011 Polish citizens were exempt from visa requirements when entering into the Kingdom of Thailand in the destination for a period not exceeding 30 days. The competent immigration authorities of Thailand have been informed of the above. visa exemption. "

I'm from the Czech Republic and I can confirm that visa on arrival is no longer needed.

I arrived today to Suvarnabhumi (from Hong Kong) and got my passport stamped for 30 days without visa or pay.

It is also on local Czech news today, 30 days at the airport and 15 days at ANY land crossing.

Maximum stay is 90 days every six months.

Edited by HKBKK

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Seeing that this topic has not yet been brought to a conclusion I would like to thank londonthai for having brought up the subject and I can confirm that the six countries mentioned in the OP are now in the MFA's list of of countries qualifying for visa-exemption, presumably already since 11 August 2011 as mentioned by londonthai. The MFA tacked them on at the end of list, rather than inserting them in alphabetical order. Strangely, these countries are still on the MFA's current list of countries qualifying for the visa on arrival. Perhaps the MFA forgot to delete them from this list.

I have now annotated the old list of the Immigration Bureau accordingly:

Visa Permission - updated 20120711.pdf