Pai

Loaded

I have a few days coming up and plan a short stay in Pai. I haven't been up there for many years, so I'm sure things have changed.

Accommodation

I'm looking for a nice bungalow with a good view away from noise and breakfast. Budget is 1,000 - 1,500 per night. It's off season now and I'm going during the week so should be able to negotiate down from any standard price. Will be driving so a few km outside of town isn't a problem.

Food

Restaurants?

Things to do?

Any other tips?

Things have changed but Pai is best in the rainy season IMO. You'll have no trouble finding accommodation - this place well out of town down the hill from my abode has a great view of the mountains and gardens to check out all the butterflies, dragonflies and fireflies. 575B but no breakfast now.

http://www.yellowthailand.com/puravidapai/bungalows.php

River should be raging for rafting. Have a good one...

Have you checked out my thread on the General forum... "My Thailand and why I love it" ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/464412-my-thailand-and-why-i-love-it/page__st__50

I covered a fairly recent trip to Pai by motorbike. It is a sleepy little town with not much to do. I stayed comfortably at the Brookview Motel (pictures shown on my topic) . The motel was clean, quiet, comfortable and reasonable. It had a nice over-look of the stream below. They had free snacks at the pagoda, but no meals. However, a 200 meter walk back towards town there is a nice, reasonable cafe with good food. The waitress was very pleasant to us. Cost of the motel was 450 baht for a double bed with private bathroom in a small cottage. The Brookview is on the far side of Pai, on the right, on the road towards Mae Hong Son..

opium trek......work wonders for meee

Those were the good old days. :D

I remember those days. I remember a mate of mine buying substances that were not legal to transport to Chiang Mai for his own personal use. The problem was the police-check if you are travelling by bus. He solved the problem by opening a large bag of Lays potato chips. He put the substances at the bottom of the bag and closed with an elastic band. When he got on the bus he placed the bag in the overhead shelf above some really loud and obnoxious Israelis just in case. In Chiang Mai he casually lifted the bag as he exited the bus.

I remember being offered a kilo of grass for $100 near the waterfall on my first visit.

So.. we're discussing how to run drugs now?

I feel my 'all time low' cup that once seemed so solid is now in serious danger of being awarded to someone else! :(

Quick.. let me think of something.. :unsure: It's my Achilles heel as I've never done drugs of any kind. I did once transport something highly illegal without knowing about it though. The chick did 5 years in jail for it. So I guess I know how NOT to do it, does that count? Please?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I remember being offered a kilo of grass for $100 near the waterfall on my first visit.

That must have been quite some time ago indeed. Anyway I was out for a bike ride and noticed that some idiot has just dug a giant pond across the road from Pura Vida where used to stand a lovely orange grove. Putting in....another guesthouse. I just don't understand the business model. So the ambiance there might not be so great right now but Pai has been so overbuilt that you will have dozens of top end places vying for your custom well within your budget.