Train Row Escalates

andyfletch

Having a single track station on a Mass Transit system, with bi-directional working through it is a complete non-starter!!!!!!

I don't quite agree with this statement.

There is no way to expand Saphan Taksin station to accomodate two tracks as then the station would block the highway. If they used 'spring switches' that were lined for the forward route then with a computer controlled signal system, they can make sure there is never more than one train in the area of the station at the same time. It is the least of their problems.

As far as train failure is concerned,if that's a major problem then with the stub track at the existing station they could keep a machine capable of pulling back a dead train. Cheaper than building a new station perhaps.

Personally I will be glad when I see the first piece of steel rail laid beyond the existing station, being a Thonburi resident myself..

Captain FanThaksin says "Let's not rush it, let's study it" What a crock. They've been f***ing around for two years now and still no tracks. The line runs almost to Petkasem Road. Where was Thaksin when the guideway was being built? Surely this is not another Hopewell project? I guess the P.M. has friends in the tunnel boring business

At least governor Apirak has the balls to stand up to Thaksin in the interests of the people of Bangkok. Thaksin says"Who will supply the carriages?" Well what's wrong with the BTS skytrain just continuing for another 2 kms to the "end of the line"?

The ridership will be huge as there is no way into town except by car, bus or boat.

""Build it and they will come!!! ""

TRANSPORT MINISTER EXPECTS PM TO DISCUSS WITH BANGKOK GOVERNOR ABOUT THE EXTENSION ROUTE FOR THE BTS ON 4th NOVEMBER

Transport Minister PHONGSAK RAKTAPHONGPHAISARN (พงษ์ศักดิ์ รักตพงศ์ไพศาล) said on Friday the 4th of November, Prime Minister THAKSIN SHINAWATRA may invite Bangkok Governor APHIRAK KOSAYOTHIN (อภิรักษ์ โกษะโยธิน) for further discussion on the construction of the new BTS routes.

Mr. PHONGSAK said the government's standpoint of implementing any project is to consider public benefits primarily. He said the government does not want the general public to shoulder the burden, and insisted that the BTS extension plan is unrelated to political issues.

The Transport Minister revealed that the government has a project to construct more than 200 linking routes. The officials are currently studying the project, and he expects that the project will be able to open for an auction over the next couple of month. He also believes that this will provide more convenience to commuters from other provinces while they are travelling to Bangkok.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันศุกร์ที่ 28 ตุลาคม 2548

Having a single track station on a Mass Transit system, with bi-directional working through it is a complete non-starter!!!!!!

I don't quite agree with this statement.

There is no way to expand Saphan Taksin station to accomodate two tracks as then the station would block the highway. If they used 'spring switches' that were lined for the forward route then with a computer controlled signal system, they can make sure there is never more than one train in the area of the station at the same time. It is the least of their problems.

As far as train failure is concerned,if that's a major problem then with the stub track at the existing station they could keep a machine capable of pulling back a dead train. Cheaper than building a new station perhaps.

Personally I will be glad when I see the first piece of steel rail laid beyond the existing station, being a Thonburi resident myself..

Captain FanThaksin says "Let's not rush it, let's study it" What a crock. They've been f***ing around for two years now and still no tracks. The line runs almost to Petkasem Road. Where was Thaksin when the guideway was being built? Surely this is not another Hopewell project? I guess the P.M. has friends in the tunnel boring business

At least governor Apirak has the balls to stand up to Thaksin in the interests of the people of Bangkok. Thaksin says"Who will supply the carriages?" Well what's wrong with the BTS skytrain just continuing for another 2 kms to the "end of the line"?

The ridership will be huge as there is no way into town except by car, bus or boat.

""Build it and they will come!!! ""

So how would they run through trains? - the stub track is the connection to the extension, if the station remains as it is at present, therefore nowhere to keep the shunter!

Also even with a modern computer controlled signalling system, it would not be possible to keep the headways up in the rush hour - 2 minute headway, a 20second dwell time at the station, startup and clearing the block? - no way it will work. Maximum would be 10 trains an hour in each direction, and that is cutting it very fine.

And that also assumes that BTS ( if they are to operate the extension, which would make sense!!) have sufficient rolling stock.

It needs some serious redesign of that area, and probably major modifications to get it to work properly

Andy,

OK OK Ten trains an hour would still be better than ZERO trains an hour!

Even if only half of the arrivals continued on to Thonburi, it would still be better than what is happening now. During peak times there could be an operator at each end of the train and switching over controls would be almost instantaneous.

Whoever approved going to a single track at that point should be drawn and quartered and sent to his room.

'nuff said

~

UPDATE

In an act of supreme benevolence and patronage, the exalted and supreme overlord has seen fit to bestow upon the toiling and lowly masses, his timely and opportunistic blessing:

SKYTRAIN EXTENSION: Thaksin gives Apirak his blessing

Published on November 05, 2005

Bangkok governor says he has green light to complete rail line to Thon Buri. The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) yesterday received Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s nod for its plan to extend the Skytrain route from Saphan Taksin to Thon Buri.