And So You Bought The Sg2

where did you get the 32GB Class 10 Micro SD memory card ?

anywhere in bkk ?

i can only find 32 GB Class 4 Micro SD memory cards

pls let me know.

Amazon. Had a friend bring me two ...

Cheers,

rudi

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i9100T works with AIS and True. As mentioned by a few other posters.

so i9100t will work with AIS without any modding?

I am using a 9100T (stock) on AIS 3G without issue, in fact the performance of successfully receiving/completing calls has proven superior on the AIS network to True Move in my experience.

I've had one for about 3 weeks now. The first phone that has impressed and excited me since the Nokia N95.

So fast and the screen is beautiful.

Its replaced my laptop, books and all other things I'd carry around.

Battery life is not great, but the other day I watched 3 hours of video and surfed the internet for about 4 hours and still had 34%. And it was in Vientiane, so it was using signal from the Thai side of the river. (Supposedly it takes more battery power when the signal is low)

One of the more amazing things it does is that the voice recognition is actually good enough that I use it instead of typing most of the time.

It truly is a good phone.

One app that I highly recommend is the SETCPU app. It allows you to lower the cpu setting when the screen is off. It runs full speed at 1.2gig when off, so you will have more battery life.

The other app I purchased was Phone Locator Pro. It completely secures your phone if lost or stolen. You register the sim from within the app. In the app, you tell it which other phone you will receive sms to and from (to control the phone if lost).

It takes pics of the user, while screen is locked. The selling point for me, was that if the sim card is replaced, it sms or emails you the new number! And with a series of sms commands from the 2nd. phone, you can get tracking info, pics of user, etc etc.

And tech support was great.

This is a toy for me, I use a custom rom and use a lot. Battery life for me is not that important, as I have chargers in the house and car. Charging is super fast, so why worry?

If anyone is interested, Kies just reported a new firmware for my AIS-version GSII... I can't tell you which at the moment, because it is in the middle of the download/upgrade.

<edit to modify the phone version>

Edited by wxpwzrd

One app that I highly recommend is the SETCPU app. It allows you to lower the cpu setting when the screen is off. It runs full speed at 1.2gig when off, so you will have more battery life.

The other app I purchased was Phone Locator Pro. It completely secures your phone if lost or stolen. You register the sim from within the app. In the app, you tell it which other phone you will receive sms to and from (to control the phone if lost).

It takes pics of the user, while screen is locked. The selling point for me, was that if the sim card is replaced, it sms or emails you the new number! And with a series of sms commands from the 2nd. phone, you can get tracking info, pics of user, etc etc.

This is a toy for me, I use a custom rom and use a lot. Battery life for me is not that important, as I have chargers in the house and car. Charging is super fast, so why worry?

You might want to check out Oxygen Rom, it has the SETCPU functionality built in.

If you're in USA be careful who and what you set the system up to take pictures off - wired article

You can buy 3 spare batteries and a charger from Hong Kong through Ebay for $10, shipping included, for the SGS2. I got spare batteries for my Desire this way, took about 2 weeks to arrive, no duties added. The batteries are marked as higher capacity than the original though I found the actual capacity about 2/3 of the original, a little disappointing but still very usable and dirt cheap. Very convenient just popping in a new battery when you're running out of juice.

You might want to check out Oxygen Rom, it has the SETCPU functionality built in.

If you're in USA be careful who and what you set the system up to take pictures off - wired article

You can buy 3 spare batteries and a charger from Hong Kong through Ebay for $10, shipping included, for the SGS2. I got spare batteries for my Desire this way, took about 2 weeks to arrive, no duties added. The batteries are marked as higher capacity than the original though I found the actual capacity about 2/3 of the original, a little disappointing but still very usable and dirt cheap. Very convenient just popping in a new battery when you're running out of juice.

a couple days ago i just did an upgrade from the stock firmware of the I9100T ANDROID 2.3.3 (thats what TRUE is selling) to ANDROID 2.3.4.

now the phone show just I9100 and not I9100T

post-41457-0-80876700-1314972260_thumb.p

looks like the default battery last longer and the phone works more stable.

furthermore it looks like samsung is offering an extending battery with 2000mAh (EB-K1A2EBEGSTD)

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1239719

http://samsung.mobil...=EB-K1A2EBEGSTD

http://blog.clove.co...eb-k1a2ebegstd/

How did you update it? kies?

a couple days ago i just did an upgrade from the stock firmware of the I9100T ANDROID 2.3.3 (thats what TRUE is selling) to ANDROID 2.3.4.

now the phone show just I9100 and not I9100T

post-41457-0-80876700-1314972260_thumb.p

looks like the default battery last longer and the phone works more stable.

furthermore it looks like samsung is offering an extending battery with 2000mAh (EB-K1A2EBEGSTD)

http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1239719

http://samsung.mobil...=EB-K1A2EBEGSTD

http://blog.clove.co...eb-k1a2ebegstd/

@jayk1993

as far as i know kies do not offer ANDROID 2.3.4 yet for thailand.

furthermore i wanted some european languages support with native character sets but also wanted to be able to write thai.

just went to MBK (store name i think was ENTERPRICE SOLUTION at the mobile phone floor (cost 200thb) about 30min

i also did an upgrade for my GALAXY S1 (now also works more stable) to ANDROID 2.3.4

post-41457-0-07987500-1314976965_thumb.p

I just bought my GS2 from PowerBuy in Tukom Pattaya for 18400 - 6% for using my SCB credit card =17,296 and it came with a free samsung 450 bt headset.

I had intended to buy the AIS model i9100 and had requested it but when I got home I realized they gave me the i9100t model. Since I don't have any 3G coverage where I live here and use wifi/2G I'm not too worried but I still have the option to bring it back and get the i9100 instead.

After reading through this very helpful thread it seems that both models will work on all 4 bands. I have been a long time member over at xda and I get the same impression from reading over there as well.

My biggest disappointment is the lack of NFC hw that I misunderstood was included with all i9100 and just missing the support here in Thailand. I have come to realize that very few of the i9100 being sold even have this hw in them. Even though it's not much used now I have full intentions of keeping this phone for a while and really wanted the NFC to be included.

One question I have for the fellow TV members is about registering the samsung account. I see that when doing it through the phone I get the thai disclaimer but the rest of the process seems to be in English. Since the Thai Samsung site seems to be completely in Thai (must use google translate), I'm wondering where you non thai readers are registering your phones? If you register through the phone I still have no idea where to go online if I lost my phone to use the locator function. Must that be done via the Thai samsung site? If someone would be so kind as to enlighten me on this it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT::

Just wanted to add a few details I forgot. Mine had NO stickers for AIS or TRUE on the box nor did any of them in PowerBuy. I check and mine is made in China which doesn't bother me since even the Iphone is made in China. Quick search on Ebay and I find tons of cheap batteries and accessories that offer free shipping to Thailand that I have just ordered. I have just installed Keis and notice that when I plug my phone into the computer and start up keys it tries to connect and then comes back at me with an error that this version of keis (2) will not connect to my device. I installed the latest Keis version so not quite sure what the deal is there. Will keep working on it and see. I have all the drivers installed such that I can use adb and ODIN without issue so I don't think it's a driver issue. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Still trying to figure out where I can register the phone for warranty in English using my Thai address.

Edited by Jayman

I cannot figure out how to stop international roaming on SG2 (my first Android phone so not experienced with it)? Is there a setting for voice calls in/out to be fixed to a network? When I choose preferred network it sometimes roams to Laos when the Thai signal is weak. Can I stop this happening for voice calls?

I cannot figure out how to stop international roaming on SG2 (my first Android phone so not experienced with it)? Is there a setting for voice calls in/out to be fixed to a network? When I choose preferred network it sometimes roams to Laos when the Thai signal is weak. Can I stop this happening for voice calls?

You should probably contact the service provider and disable international roaming. You may be able to do this on-line, if One-2-Call, or with a service command. But maybe best to call. Which service provider are you using?

If I remember correctly, I did it from within Kies itself. It opens up a browser and you register from within, or their app store.

Thanks but I can't get Kies to play nice with my phone. It keeps telling me that my device is not compatible. No clue what's up with that but do I really need Kies anyway?

You can register it through the phone, just add it as an account. I registered mine this way, Settings - about phone - Software update - then click search for update. Then it should prompt you to register, (but I dont think you will get an update). If you need Kies or not is up to you, you can have all your contacts, apps, email backed up through google, your photos can just be dragged and dropped from the phone itself to your computer. If you want a hands off approach, automatic updates, and easy back up solution use Kies.

If I remember correctly, I did it from within Kies itself. It opens up a browser and you register from within, or their app store.

Thanks but I can't get Kies to play nice with my phone. It keeps telling me that my device is not compatible. No clue what's up with that but do I really need Kies anyway?

Thanks.. I tried installing kies on another computer and get the same result with it telling me my device is not compatible with keis 2. Not sure how that could be. Fact is, I can sync my phone and do all I need in that dept with other things. I could always use air keis if I need to. The only reason I was looking at keis was for firmware updates. Is keis the only way to get them? I guess I just throw a custom rom on there and don't worry about it.

The other question about the samsung account is the tracking feature. From where on the web do we access that? I also want to register my phone with samsung for the warranty but the site is all in Thai. I have the samsung account that was setup on the phone but where can I use this info to log in somewhere. The thai samsung doesn't seem to have any login. I link would be greatly appreciated.

You can register it through the phone, just add it as an account. I registered mine this way, Settings - about phone - Software update - then click search for update. Then it should prompt you to register, (but I dont think you will get an update). If you need Kies or not is up to you, you can have all your contacts, apps, email backed up through google, your photos can just be dragged and dropped from the phone itself to your computer. If you want a hands off approach, automatic updates, and easy back up solution use Kies.

try "samsung uk" in google

Thanks.. I tried installing kies on another computer and get the same result with it telling me my device is not compatible with keis 2. Not sure how that could be. Fact is, I can sync my phone and do all I need in that dept with other things. I could always use air keis if I need to. The only reason I was looking at keis was for firmware updates. Is keis the only way to get them? I guess I just throw a custom rom on there and don't worry about it.

The other question about the samsung account is the tracking feature. From where on the web do we access that? I also want to register my phone with samsung for the warranty but the site is all in Thai. I have the samsung account that was setup on the phone but where can I use this info to log in somewhere. The thai samsung doesn't seem to have any login. I link would be greatly appreciated.

I have been using an old bb curve for 3 + years now and while doing exceptionally well for what I need (email, a bit of surfing, talking, music), its getting tired.

My mate has one of these sg2 thingys, and once you wipe all the fingerprints and oils of it, looks very nice I must say. But he is always having to charge his. My question to you guys is now that you have had it for a while, would you spend 20k on it again if you lost yours?

I have been using an old bb curve for 3 + years now and while doing exceptionally well for what I need (email, a bit of surfing, talking, music), its getting tired.

My mate has one of these sg2 thingys, and once you wipe all the fingerprints and oils of it, looks very nice I must say. But he is always having to charge his. My question to you guys is now that you have had it for a while, would you spend 20k on it again if you lost yours?

Question is not a simple answer. Are you the kind that would spend a lot of money on high quality sun glasses? If so, how would you take care of them? Like a cheap pair off 100thb throw aways?

I spent 17k on this phone and will take care of it as I do my laptop. I think it's a wonderful device and comes with a free service to help you track and recover your phone if you lose it. You can also pay for other services (very cheap) that will add even more advanced features like take pictures of the person holding your phone and record stuff and send it to you.

All that being said, if I lost any expensive item I would be quite upset about it. If there were newer options to replace this with I might look into them before dropping the cash to see that I was making the right decision.

If you are asking if the phone is worth the price tag... I would have to say yes.

You should probably contact the service provider and disable international roaming. You may be able to do this on-line, if One-2-Call, or with a service command. But maybe best to call. Which service provider are you using?

I think your correct, but why cannot this functionality be in the phone? Some of us near live borders and do international travel as well. What a pain to contact service provider each time? Must be a reason I suppose?

I think your correct, but why cannot this functionality be in the phone? Some of us near live borders and do international travel as well. What a pain to contact service provider each time? Must be a reason I suppose?

Agree, sorry.

Try Settings, Wireless and network, Mobile networks, Network operators...Search networks, or Select automatically. Maybe try manually selecting the Thai SP? Or unchecking "Select automatically"? (Not sure, I can't model this.)