Flood Warnings 2011

iainiain101

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's do a pretty picture. This is water spilling at the Mae Kuang reservoir, 5:30pm today.

post-64232-0-95126800-1317306781_thumb.j

Nice shot.

Couple more that are nice from an artistic point of view (bear with me). Note that these pictures aren't mine; found them on another forum. (So can't post a link as per the forum rules)

post-64232-0-12597100-1317308492_thumb.j post-64232-0-03164500-1317308506_thumb.j

post-64232-0-22916800-1317308524_thumb.j post-64232-0-37108000-1317308538_thumb.j

(I have a couple more that are humorous, but will hold off on posting those until I can assess the fall-out from these pics; I may get called all kinds of names again, and mods putting in serious over-time reviewing all the posts reported by the esteemed readership but without a clear rule-breaking rationale. Edit: It should also be noted that some pictures are definitely NOT amusing in any way; some very dramatic ones too. )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

This is the next typhoon following Nesat. It's tracking farther south, and it sort of looks like about the same track as TS Haitang, whose remnants are causing the rain in northern Thailand now.

http://www.usno.navy...ings/wp2211.gif

Way back somewhere towards the beginning of this thread, someone (lightly) lampooned a high-ranking Thai Hydro official for saying that the water levels should return to normal/flood dangers be passed by around November 15th

This makes sense. Both this and Nesat could (I would hazard 'are likely to') dump a lot of water (around) here; weather systems like this are what cause most of our extreme (wet & windy) weather.

Why cant people - westerners? - simply take the advice of Thais who are almost certainly more knowledgeable and better educated in this field than they are?

(I apologise to any posting satirical western meteorologists out there)

BTW, as this thread is for info, my point is - expect turbulence till the 15th. The Thai MET said so, not me!

Hi Everyone, hopefully one of you could help us with the following:At the moment we are in bangkok but should arrive in chiang mai next monday. We booked a week at the ratilanna riverside but I am very concerned about the floodings.I already contacted the hotel and they told us that they are experiencing flooding at this moment but that it should be ok by next monday.To be honest, I can hardly believe that everything would be a-ok by monday if they are having knee high floodings at the hotel at this time.Does anyone here have more information on the region around the hotel and maybe the hotel itself?

We booked a week at the ratilanna riverside but I am very concerned about the flooding. Does anyone here have more information on the region around the hotel and maybe the hotel itself?

Hi , Ratilanna is almost opposite my condo, and yes, in a severe flooding area. BUT Monday is far. Flood can go down very fast, if the river does not breaks its banks any more, and if the drainage is enough to evacuate the water. After, if the hotel is on high place, the problem is just the access. So Flood outside hotel does not mean flooded hotel.

Unfortunately, I am not exactly there, and cannot go there, except by boat from my place. So better keep in touch with live information here ... and maybe ask your question on Saturday or Sunday. So many parameters to handle. not easy to be sure about anything. Right now, water is increasing around this place, but slowly, and should not be worse than last night... my guess...

Good luck and try to get in touch with anybody there.

Philippe

Mae Ping Villa / Imperial Sports Club: River has risen aabout 5cm over past 1.5 hrs. Very soon to break banks here.

You might just be OK, it's been going down at San Sai the last three hours.

Good Luck!

There's a 6-7 hour delay from San Sai -> Nawarat bridge. Peak of 4.76 @ 19:00 should indicate a Nawarat bridge peak of 4.89 or 4.90 between 1:00 and 2:00 am. So - not quite as bad as 4.94 but getting pretty close...

...and as for when that peak hits other places, I have no idea. Water level in a moo baan near HD road was going up for 8 hours while Nawarat level was falling during the day today.

We booked a week at the ratilanna riverside but I am very concerned about the flooding. Does anyone here have more information on the region around the hotel and maybe the hotel itself?

Hi , Ratilanna is almost opposite my condo, and yes, in a severe flooding area. BUT Monday is far.

I agree - impossible to predict Monday.

Just wanted to add, I have stayed at the Rati Lanna before, it's a high quality building and as such I am willing to bet they built it high enough it wouldn't flood. Of course if you can't get there that's not much help...

Hi Everyone, hopefully one of you could help us with the following:At the moment we are in bangkok but should arrive in chiang mai next monday. We booked a week at the ratilanna riverside but I am very concerned about the floodings.I already contacted the hotel and they told us that they are experiencing flooding at this moment but that it should be ok by next monday.To be honest, I can hardly believe that everything would be a-ok by monday if they are having knee high floodings at the hotel at this time.Does anyone here have more information on the region around the hotel and maybe the hotel itself?

If you can change to a different hotel then I would do so. It's pretty much in THE most affected area. Suggest to book something in the Old City area.

Started raining (moderately heavy) here at ex-Carrefour on the Superhighway, a short while ago....

Local rain does NOT matter when the source of flooding that is of the most concern originates from the river. What matters is sustained rain North of town. But a local shower is not going to make a difference. Looking at the below, it probably stopped by the time you read this.

post-64232-0-95264200-1317312362_thumb.j

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hi , Ratilanna is almost opposite my condo, and yes, in a severe flooding area. BUT Monday is far.

I agree - impossible to predict Monday.

Just wanted to add, I have stayed at the Rati Lanna before, it's a high quality building and as such I am willing to bet they built it high enough it wouldn't flood. Of course if you can't get there that's not much help...

that is what i was thinking. They are doing these big truck bus things that give tourists access to that area. I'm not sure what that is all about but saw loads of guys with suitcases on them. You pretty much cant drive down that road unless you have a very good 4X4.

Hi Everyone, hopefully one of you could help us with the following:At the moment we are in bangkok but should arrive in chiang mai next monday. We booked a week at the ratilanna riverside but I am very concerned about the floodings.I already contacted the hotel and they told us that they are experiencing flooding at this moment but that it should be ok by next monday.To be ...

If you can change to a different hotel then I would do so. It's pretty much in THE most affected area. Suggest to book something in the Old City area.

Seconded - change if you can. Around Nimmanhemin is also good. Many nice hotels, great area, and no flooding.

Hi Everyone, hopefully one of you could help us with the following:At the moment we are in bangkok but should arrive in chiang mai next monday. We booked a week at the ratilanna riverside but I am very concerned about the floodings.I already contacted the hotel and they told us that they are experiencing flooding at this moment but that it should be ok by next monday.To be ...

Seconded - change if you can. Around Nimmanhemin is also good. Many nice hotels, great area, and no flooding.

As for the Rati Lanna, it's in a picture I posted yesterday. It's the building at the top right hand side in the picture..

I'm very familiar with that hotel. Ya might wanna think about canceling that one and looking at something more in town. Lotus or Orchid would both be good. Nice and dry there.

I've just got back from the Doi Saket Dam. Went there with the village vice head man. He is friends with the people there there so I thought I would share what I was told. The gates at the dam are not being opened and closed. They are open full stop. They will be open for at least the next 5 days. Maybe more depending on the rain. The amount of water being given off from there is incredible. The picture below gives in Skant justice. This was taken by my Nephew this morning.

Also I would suggest if you can, pay the dam a visit. It's a pretty incredible sight. Of course the downside from this is that I think there will be no quick escape from the floods.

I live about 6 km from Doi saket and we are in danger of being flooded by the water level in the drains rising. It's creeping up slowly but surely and is now at street level.

Keep safe everybody.

297271_263543257019233_100000906833717_798669_1003806309_n.jpg