Thai Govt Must Look For Exits As The Perfect Storm Gathers

webfact

Thailand has a large amount of foreign reserves to bolster their economy for some time and exports seem to be doing quite well. No matter who is in charge or what promises are kept the gov. will have to burn thru a lot of that reserve to keep the economy moving due to forces outside thailand which will affect the bottom line. Populist spending by political parties in thailand are just the way its done by all of them dem or ptp, without it the thai people would have nothing as this country is based on corporate taxes not income tax.

^ I think steveomangino should be PM :D

Seconded.

Thanks....maybe one day ;-)

but not sure I would be the kind of person to suck up to the godfathers, which is part of the road to being an election winner. You have to be a bit of a prostitute to succeed in Thai politics. Little wonder that Chuwit takes to it like a duck to water.

And when I say suck up, I mean it in the more figurative sense...the thought of spending some quality time with Sanoh and a bit of rusty tromboning or a seafood dinner with the likes of Sudarat isn't quite my thing. NTTAWWT.

The rule of the city, is if you are incompetent, be honest, and if you are a crook, be clever. That way the chaps trust you. I do not believe the hybrid honest yet clever has ever been tested, due to n=0. 555555555

Thailand record exports in June

Thailand government borrowing at 42%

Of course the world is having a tough time of it, but I reckon just about any country in Europe would swap to have these figures. Just as the article above mentions, Korn injected money into the economy, and there is potentially 18% of GPD available to stimulate the economy if required (not that they will necessarily use it).

http://www.reuters.c...K00319720110523

If nothing else, the USD continuing to tank means that oil is getting cheaper in baht terms, so every cloud has a silver lining. The 3.5% GDP growth at the lower end of the scale may be all that is achieved, but in global terms that would probably be considered fantastic.

I fail to see when the USD tanks it makes oil cheaper since it takes more dollars to buy it. The baht has not appreciated that much.

Thailand has a bit of a cushion as it has room to borrow. I certainly hope there is no EU/USA style borrowing or printing of money.

Perhaps, if the government made an effort at collecting all taxes due, there might be some revenue to fund the proposed development plans.

Starting with Thaksin and his Children, perhaps?

Children already been exempted. Thaksin's gains will be soon.