Need Bike Paint Ideas

KRS1

Project CBR 195 starts on Monday and I need some ideas for the paint job, preferably a track bike color scheme. If you have a link with bikes post em up ! B)

I also may need some front projectors like on the Sachs Madass, so if you have a source let me know please.

Thanks

I remember at some bike show seeing an R6 or something with all the world's racetracks painted on on it.

Or take your national flag and fade it

ducati.jpg

You can look to race cars too.

These are kinda old school, but memorable and retro is always cool.

paint swatches

BENETTON%20B186-05.jpg

pork cuts

1971_porsche_917-20_pink_pig-01.jpg

Edited by ttakata

• 3 weeks later...

I always paint myself. Pylac makes every color you'll need in automotive grade lacquer. It's a spray can, but if you get the distance, pile up and timing just right a glass finish can be accomplished. Another coat of clear lacquer helps also. Runs about 150 baht a can. Need 4 to paint a CBR 150.

If your going to do some designs with tape, remove the tape while the paint is still wet

I always paint myself. Pylac makes every color you'll need in automotive grade lacquer. It's a spray can, but if you get the distance, pile up and timing just right a glass finish can be accomplished. Another coat of clear lacquer helps also. Runs about 150 baht a can. Need 4 to paint a CBR 150.

If your going to do some designs with tape, remove the tape while the paint is still wet

One can never have enough clear coat...:D

That's interesting. I used to help with some automotive painting back home when I was a teen, we used to remove the tape when the paint was already dry and just used rubbing compound to smooth the edges before applying the clear coat...

I guess you paint in really thin layers to avoid bleeding/dripping.

BTW dude, where do you get your paints in Chiang Mai?

Problem with pealing the tape when it dries is that sometimes it will pull up the paint also, especially with thick acrylics.I usually pull the tape just when its starting to set. First coat is usually a thin coat just to cover everything up, but then the next coat i spray depends on what it takes to get it glassy. Don't follow the directions on the spray can man, it says to hold the can away about 8-10" and you'll get a sandy finish...i find that 4-5" works best to pile up the paint to get glass, and shake that biatch for about 5 minutes straight and spray a little out first each time the can sits to blow out the drip splatters.

I usually go to a few different places to get paint when i was in Bangkok based on color selection, but here in chiang mai i've seen Pylac on the other main road that runs parrallel to Kaew Nawarat (forgot the name)

Before crossing the bridge over to Kaew Nawarat there's a parts shop on the left, that has a color chart for paint also, but i dont think its Pylac. Shop is by the Esso.

Ratchwithi road also has a small paint shop at the beginning of the soi by the moat.

Chang Puak road has a shop on your right in the one way area before it turns into two lanes. Front looks like a thai hardware store in back they have paint, but i didnt get a close look at what type.

In Bangkok Homepro had Pylac so i assume it should be the same in CNX.

Pylac is predominantly sold at hardware stores. The cans are labeled with a designation like 'Honda Click Silver' ...etc....and have a color dot on the cap.

Problem with pealing the tape when it dries is that sometimes it will pull up the paint also, especially with thick acrylics.I usually pull the tape just when its starting to set. First coat is usually a thin coat just to cover everything up, but then the next coat i spray depends on what it takes to get it glassy. Don't follow the directions on the spray can man, it says to hold the can away about 8-10" and you'll get a sandy finish...i find that 4-5" works best to pile up the paint to get glass, and shake that biatch for about 5 minutes straight and spray a little out first each time the can sits to blow out the drip splatters.

I usually go to a few different places to get paint when i was in Bangkok based on color selection, but here in chiang mai i've seen Pylac on the other main road that runs parrallel to Kaew Nawarat (forgot the name)

Before crossing the bridge over to Kaew Nawarat there's a parts shop on the left, that has a color chart for paint also, but i dont think its Pylac. Shop is by the Esso.

Ratchwithi road also has a small paint shop at the beginning of the soi by the moat.

Chang Puak road has a shop on your right in the one way area before it turns into two lanes. Front looks like a thai hardware store in back they have paint, but i didnt get a close look at what type.

In Bangkok Homepro had Pylac so i assume it should be the same in CNX.

Pylac is predominantly sold at hardware stores. The cans are labeled with a designation like 'Honda Click Silver' ...etc....and have a color dot on the cap.

Thanks for the info. Should come in handy as I recently resprayed the seat cowl (bought a OEM one with a couple of light scratches for 400 baht on Ebay) on the gixxer and despite being very careful the finish isn't as good as the stock fairings. Fortunately the colour matches as it's a black bike!

I used the Leyland cans plus clear coat as I didn't know any better - when I finally return to normal working hours I think I'll get some Pylac and try again. The seat cowling has never even been on the bike yet as I normally ride with a passenger but the fact the finish isn't as good still annoys me.

Haha...i always try to get a car or bike in some color that I can spray myself incase it gets scratched !

Painting is an art ! But the Pylac cans make it easier, the pressure is lower and almost the same as a gravity fed low pressure spray rig, the spray pattern is also butterflied. 4-5" spray length is for the Pylac cans (The actual cans are red with white cap and have a cartoon picture of a car on it)

spray in straight lines back and forth overlapping just enough so each pass 'melts' together.

Those Leyland cans are like painting with hurricane force winds, the passes have to be more than twice as fast as with the Pylac cans to get glass !

I use one of these to avoid a sore index finger, the 'Can Gun', best freaking specialty tool ive ever used, if you get one, get this one nothing else compares. only $7.

cangun1.jpg

Edited by KRS1