Singapore Recommendations

curtklay

I'm thinking about skipping next year's Songkran fun :wacko: and spending the week in Singapore. Having never been there, I'd like to find a good tour package. It will be just my wife and self, and I know that we would like to see the zoo, night safari, Universal Studios, and the incredible architecture. Beyond that, I'm open to suggestions.

I'm hoping for some good recommendations and advice from you guys. Hotels restaurants, things to do, etc. It would be especially nice to find a tour operator who can plan a fun filled vacation week, and handle all the transportation. Your experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I don't really think you need a tour package as Singapore is not that difficult to get around, what with good taxi's and subway.

Personally, I like Hotel Re!. It's reasonably priced (for Singapore) and within easy walking distance of the subway and Clarke Quay. Clarke Quay has dozens of small restraunts and bars.

There is also the tour of the river, and you must see the Marina Bay Sands hotel. Sentosa Island, where Universal is located. Finally, Tawandang German Brewery has two locations in Singapore. If you have a discount card from here, they will honor it, but not for the 15% you get here, only 10%.

Singapore ain't cheap, but it is a great place to visit. Have fun.

Hey Curt! Hope all is well with you. I agree that a tour is probably not necessary there. It's really easy to get around and pretty much everybody speaks English. But! Sometimes a package can get you better rates for hotels. It's worth checking this out for sure.

How about the travel section of the Post? I see ads there all the time for tours around Asia. Just a thought.

Singapore is expensive for sure. Not cheap. But it is a nice place to visit.

I agree that a tour is not really needed in Singapore. Late last year I had a few days there for a conference, staying at the Bayview Hotel on Bencoolen Street. About $SG200 per night - there are cheaper places around, but it was an ok location and booked by the conference organisers. Room and service was fine, although the pool was very small (I didn't matter was it was quite cool compared to Bangkok). My wife was there also, and we had a couple of days looking around. We either walked or used the underground, which is similar style to Bangkok BTS/MRT but more lines.

I recommend Chinatown for eating/drinking. There is a street market mainly for tourists. Its ok though and there are plenty of restaurants with cheapish (for Singapore) food and drinks (e.g. $SG5 for big bottle of beer). The chilli crab was nice. There are also many Chinese-style restaurants/diners that locals fill up in the evenings.

Sentosa is worth a visit for a day. Didn't pay to go into Universal Studios but others have said its ok.

Clarke Quay has a lot of restaurants. Although when we went there it was early, during the week, and almost no-one around. And compared to Chinatown the prices are not cheap (e.g. happy hour $SG10 for 2 small beers).

There were a lot of tourist brochures in the hotel. One that looked interesting but we didn't have time was a guided walking tour by Original Singapore Walks.

There seem to be a lot of locals walking and shopping around Arab Street and Bugis, which created a good atmosphere. As opposed to Orchard Road, which is more just window shopping.

Just a few ideas.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your thoughts and tips. They are much appreciated, and have given me a starting point.

Sounds like the first thing I need is a suitcase full of money.

Let me be the first to wish a HAPPY SONGKRAN to all!

I don't really think you need a tour package as Singapore is not that difficult to get around, what with good taxi's and subway.

Personally, I like Hotel Re!. It's reasonably priced (for Singapore) and within easy walking distance of the subway and Clarke Quay. Clarke Quay has dozens of small restraunts and bars.

There is also the tour of the river, and you must see the Marina Bay Sands hotel. Sentosa Island, where Universal is located. Finally, Tawandang German Brewery has two locations in Singapore. If you have a discount card from here, they will honor it, but not for the 15% you get here, only 10%.

Singapore ain't cheap, but it is a great place to visit. Have fun.

not that much to see or do in Singapore the Sea city state we love to hate. Basically in 48 hours you have seen all and do not waste your time trying it is an empty heart place where every one is in the claws of the rulers family.....EXCELLENT TRANSIT CHANGI AIRPORT. IN....AND....OUT