Thai Drivers

midas

Semper,

Dont act the idiot ALL the time please.

Are you now stating that Thai drivers without question use lights 100% of the time in the dark ??

Because the mad sods where I am dont...

Did that golfball in your avatar hit both of your eyes? especially motrocyclists, never use lights.

Ok you win ok-cretin of the year award to you.

ANSWER the point raised !!

You stated that thai bikers ALWAYS use their lights ?? Yes or No !!!

Of course they do not.

You stated that thai bikers ALWAYS use their lights ?? Yes or No !!!

If you can show me where I stated this, I'll be happy to pay you a one week holiday anywhere in Thailand. What's wrong with you? Have we been drinking? :rolleyes:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

silliest thing I've seen here - and I admit there's good competition for that title

last year living in Sa Kaeo, high school boys with red bulbs in their headlights, and mirrors reversed, so when heading towards me at night my lights reflected back off their mirrors, with a red light between them to look like a fast vehicle in reverse, on the same side of the road.

Partner's b-in-law, Mr Or-bor-tor, went to speak to the school principal. End of 'craze'

Still in SK, one night outside reading on an otherwise quiet evening, heard a high-revving bike approaching but couldn't see where - no street lights, no lights on the bike. A shout, a thump and quiet. Dogs went crazy, got the torch and found him by the bridge, lucky he'd gone between a tree and a concrete post into a deep ditch, passed out but still holding a flask in his left hand. Whisky I suppose. Wasn't dead, but not moving, neighbours did a ring-around and some friends arrived - also no headlight and carted him away.

and one more re lights; maybe 2yrs ago on Phuket there was a free bulb day, run by students from a technical college, stopping bikes and checking the lights. Found a link - guess this is the same outfit

Phuket Community Foundation

ANYONE WHO HAS DRIVEN on a dark Phuket road at night will know the heart-stopping experience of having a motorcycle with no rear light suddenly appear right in front. Rear-light bulbs cost just 20 baht, yet a straw poll suggests that as many as one in four of all motorbikes on Phuket don’t have a working rear light.

The total cost to the PCF of the first session, during which we made 150 motorbikes safer, was about 7,000 baht. Because we already had the posters, the second session cost almost nothing, yet made more than 100 riders safer in the dark. We have since held more sessions, and will continue to do so regularly.

read more

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Madness

THERE are two things about Thailand that are totally incomprehensible to westerners:

Buddhism and road rules.

The two are inextricably linked, and by understanding one, you gain insight into the other.

Western religions are burdened with the concept of opposites such as good and evil, heaven and hell, and light and dark.

Buddhism recognizes the inherent one-ness of all things and sees these supposed opposites as facets of the unity and totality of existence.

To follow the way of the Thai driver, you too must cast off these illusions of duality, such as the duality of two traffic lanes moving in opposite directions.

The Thai driver sees both lanes as part of the one road, and both directions as an expression of the eternal flow of all things.

When you have grasped this concept, you will then understand why Thais so naturally swerve into oncoming traffic to overtake, and why they are completely serene as they travel along a busy road the wrong way.

It is because there is no wrong way, only ‘The Way’.

It’s the same with traffic lights.

To the enlightened Buddhist driver, red and green are not different colours, but simply different ways of seeing the same traffic light.

Unlearn such deceptive Western notions as ‘right of way’ and your inner eye will open, which is the only way to proceed through an intersection in Thailand.

In Thailand, existence is not seen as a linear progression from birth to death, but rather as an endless cycle of life, death and rebirth.

As one’s soul gains experience and enlightenment from each lifetime, that soul is reincarnated into yet another lifetime until Nirvana is achieved and he, or she, escapes from this eternal cycle into a state of perpetual bliss.

You never die, because life is a mere Honda Dream.

Instead, you simply pass into another life for another chance to attain the wisdom necessary for enlightenment.

You should also never fear death, even when careening along a twisty Phuket highway at 200km an hour with a bottomless chasm yawning right next to the road.

This life will end when it is time, and no matter how often you check your mirrors, a pick-up truck can come screaming up from behind and make that time now.

Accept this as inevitable, and you will be free to follow the way of the Thai driver, overtaking on blind corners and driving in the rain at breakneck speeds without a helmet.

Those who wish to spend a little longer in this lifetime should be especially careful when driving past Buddhist temples, because those drivers coming out have probably just made merit and may be looking for reincarnation while the getting is good.

Be like the water, which is the essence of all life and, as such, has many lessons to teach us.

Water can fit into any container and seep through even the smallest crack, and so too can the Thai driver.

He can manouever into any space between two speeding vehicles, no matter how small or inconvenient it may be, or at what speed he is travelling.

When confronted by an obstacle, water does not stop, but flows around the obstacle, never losing momentum.

So, too must you.

When someone along life’s highway has stopped in the middle of the road to smell the roses, or pick up some fried chicken, you must flow around the obstacle, never stopping your harmonious movement.

Patience is also necessary when leaving a car park and turning across an oncoming lane of vehicles.

You must slowly edge onto the road, keeping an eye out for even the tiniest cracks in the teeming traffic.

What is the sound of one horn honking?

As you travel the road to enlightenment, you will ponder this repeatedly, because it is a sound you will hear quite a bit.

The answer is childishly simple.

It depends on how many times it honks.

One honk indicate that someone is overtaking or coming through, while a series of several honks is meant as a warning to anyone stupid enough to get in the way.

There is also the puzzle of the turn signal.

A blinking left indicator can mean the driver is about to make a left turn, or it can mean he is about to make a right turn or no turn at all.

Understanding intractable questions like these is the secret to mastering the way of the Thai road.

Semper,

Are you now stating that Thai drivers without question use lights 100% of the time in the dark ??

Here they do and most motorcycle lights are always on (for sure on the newer models). Problem is when their light bulb is spent then they don't replace it. I think this is more often a problem in the sticks then in BKK. So i think he got a point that lights are more often on then not.

I see a lot of motorcycles with their headlights on all the time, and I reckon I probably see most of the motorbikes that have no rear light.

To be honest, I'm not bothered about motorcyclist's headlights - if I'm in front of him, its up to him not to drive into me.

But the rear light is much more important; you can't blame someone for bumping into the invisible man...

SC

I totally enjoy driving and riding in Thailand on my moto(not scooter) and car. It does not matter. I do not care for DT BKK but that's due to no one drives, they sit in traffic, big difference. I have witnessed a ton of whack stuff happen of which most have been covered in the previous 6 pages

* Motos with no tail lights, see it all the time

* Cars straddling 2 lanes, see it all the time

* Drive on roads with no lines, road clickers and poor lighting, See and do it all the time

* Cars, Vans driving wicked fast in an all out downpour, See it all the time

* Cabs just pulling out, see it all the time

* Vans cutting in and out of traffic, see it all the time

* Buses just taking a lane when they want it, Been on them when doing it and witness it all the time

* Cars in far right lane flashin beams to let them go, see it all the time( BTW I think it is totally acceptable and is a standard practice in most every country. If you are not gonna fly then get the heck out of that lane)

* Motos on sidewalks, See it all the time

* Motos driving the wrong way against traffic, see it all the time

* Vehicle breaks down on road and they use trees and rocks to warn other motorists instead of flares, see it all the time.

* Clip side mirrors in both my car and on my Moto, Yep done it a few times and had it done to me.

Am I going to complain about it.....Naaaaaaaah. Its pure entertainment to me. Driving and riding here is never a dull moment. I will say Thais are far more tolerant folks then in the west. They drive in very close proximity to one another and I see very few altercations conversely in the US, someone gets within 2 feet of their car or even nip a road line and they are blastin their horn, flipping you off, freak out with road rage and look at you like you are an idiot. Hell, some even will speed up in front of you and jam on the brakes to try and prove a point..How considerate is that? I have always rode a motorcycle so here I am in heaven. US cops bag you constantly. You park on a sidewalk, a ticket. you modify your bike, a ticket. You even slightly lift your front wheel leaving a stop light, a ticket. Here, they smile. biggrin.gif

Back to the thread subject, are Thais considerate......I think they are no different then anyone else on the planet driving. They are not thinking about it. Most are texting, talking, day dreaming and eating. If they do think about it most are usually pretty polite and let you in.

Those who wish to spend a little longer in this lifetime should be especially careful when driving past Buddhist temples, because those drivers coming out have probably just made merit and may be looking for reincarnation while the getting is good.

hmmmm.........interesting post :ermm:

but what do you think went " wrong " here ?

" A 63-year-old man became the latest victim of road rage in Bangkok after being fatally stabbed yesterday afternoon. Chaiwat Limpawatcharapong was found dead inside his car on Pracha-Utit road.

He had been stabbed repeatedly in his neck, head, back, the base of his ear, and his stomach.

"We had just dropped some monks off at the Phra Ram IX Temple," his son Chatchawas Limpawatcharapong, 31, told police, "Then, my dad got angry when another car suddenly cut in front of ours." :o

Some aggressive driving followed, ending with a collision between the two vehicles."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2011/07/19/national/Road-rage-ends-in-fatal-stabbing-30160565.html

Edited by midas

Just because I drive a big expensive car should I have more rights to be on the road than anyone else?

It appears as though some car drivers on here really do believe they are more important than bike riders....

It's simply traffic and both bikes and cars contribute to the gridlock.

It's the idiots who make the traffic worse... Both bikes and cars...

You can't call people idiots for being on the road ??

Until Thailand gets a minister who's going to call it tough and say ok licences for all and anyone stopped without its a 20,000 baht fine then the free for all continues. Employ a multitude of enforcers on commission say 5,000 a legit pull from the 20,000 and you'll end the farce of Thai drivers in 24 months-period.

In the meantime-Insure yourself properly-make your complaint in advance to insurance company and get the legitimate back up you're entitled to and mash one of them-only way they will learn.

I didn't..... I said its the Idiot's who make the traffic worse. Not everyone on the road is an idiot, not everyone on the road makes the traffic worse. Its primarily those people driving / riding stupidly without consideration for others who exacerbate already poor traffic conditions - These are the idiots, not for being on the road, but for doing what they do on the road.

Just because I drive a big expensive car should I have more rights to be on the road than anyone else?

It appears as though some car drivers on here really do believe they are more important than bike riders....

It's simply traffic and both bikes and cars contribute to the gridlock.

It's the idiots who make the traffic worse... Both bikes and cars...

You can't call people idiots for being on the road ??

Until Thailand gets a minister who's going to call it tough and say ok licences for all and anyone stopped without its a 20,000 baht fine then the free for all continues. Employ a multitude of enforcers on commission say 5,000 a legit pull from the 20,000 and you'll end the farce of Thai drivers in 24 months-period.

In the meantime-Insure yourself properly-make your complaint in advance to insurance company and get the legitimate back up you're entitled to and mash one of them-only way they will learn.

I sincerely hope you are not attempting to re-educate a nation which consists of a relatively high number of poor drivers / riders by mashing them...

One of the more daft points I've read on TV.

Semper,

Did that golfball in your avatar hit both of your eyes? especially motrocyclists, never use lights.

A few of the motorbikes don't use their lights... I think in general because something has broken and they can't be bothered to get it fixed.

They don't understand that its being seen which is the key issue here. As long as they can see where they are going then these guys think they are fine.

However, its not ALL the motorbikes is it.. its one or two, which IMO is still one or two too many as I've been close to hitting one or two in the past because I've not seen them until the last second on a dark road.

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

What a load of bike hating rhetoric…… It's the Thai car/pick-up drivers and there lack of space awareness and consideration for other road users, If in the first 3 or 4 vehicles, well they know they will get though a green before it go's red again………So no rush there a!

But I would love to hear how YOU would, if given the job of implementing a new law to move bikes to the back at traffic light.

Where did you get this figure of 50%?.......You say; " OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the Thai traffic?" I got a percentage figure for you; did you know that 95% of all percentages quoted are made up? You, most defiantly fall into that category

Edited by Tonto21

Having made a journey to Khorat and back today, around 300km on Route 24, I can honestly say that the majority of Thai drivers are out to kill you.

Bout time we got some true real time real life experience.

Having made a journey to Khorat and back today, around 300km on Route 24, I can honestly say that the majority of Thai drivers are out to kill you.

Care to elaborate a bit with some specifics or should I read it as funny post? Just asking for clarity reasons as I want to understand what you perceive as wanting to kill you.

I trek to Parachuap Khiri Khan area frequently and seldom have any issues other then sometimes I am in far right lane and a fella in a Camry clocking 130+ beams me to let him by. Buts that OK, I respect that.

Before getting into a taxi, I usually "face control'' the driver. Normally you can see by the face expression what kind of driver is inside. Also, I've noticed that drivers in pink taxis in BKK are much better than in green and yellow ones - don't know why. And of course if you can speak a little bit of Thai helps a lot!

Before getting into a taxi, I usually "face control'' the driver. Normally you can see by the face expression what kind of driver is inside. Also, I've noticed that drivers in pink taxis in BKK are much better than in green and yellow ones - don't know why. And of course if you can speak a little bit of Thai helps a lot!

Pink is a well known calming colour.

Tis why it is the colour of choice for gays.

Don't get into a red taxi whatever you do.

To actually ask this question shows a total lack of knowledge about Thailand.

THAI DRIVERS: Do you think they are considerate? ABSOLUTELY NOT

THE THAI PEOPLE: Do you think they are considerate? SAME ANSWER ... ABSOLUTELY NOT

The Thai people have to be the most inconsiderate, selfish of all peoples I have met around the world. Wherever I go I see Thai people doing what they want completely ignoring everything and everybody around them.

I'll park here because it suits me ... never mind I'm blocking the whole street. You expect me to park over there and walk to my destination ... never. Talking but one step would kill me.. and how else am I to show off how important I am unless everybody can see my Benz.

I'll let my dog out to terrorise anybody that dares to walk up the street. Plus it can poop outside somebody elses gate rather than mine.

I'll stop in the yellow box junction blocking people on my left and right from turning because I'm 10 meters closer to my destination. They can wait ... I can't...

I'll rent out stall space in my shopping mall in areas that should be reserved for public access so I can make more money .. who cares about fire regulations.

I'm a motorcycle driver and I have the right to wait in the zebra crossing for the traffic lights to turn green. Pedestrians trying to cross have no rights.

Laws are made to be broken never followed.. they are an infraction of my right to do as I please.

I'll build on that national forest land because it is public land and I'm a member of the public.

etc...etc..etc...

And unfortunately I see many Farang's doing all the same things here.

Edited by KKK

I could jump a huge queue, then try to merge back in ...

I don't think that makes YOU very considerate.. What gives YOU the right to jump a queue..Are you Thai by any chance? If so you destroyed your own argument.

OP you do understand that letting space for motorbikes to go up front if what causes 50% of the thai traffic?

Motorbikes are so EFFIN slow, having to pass them at every light and then them coming back up and blocking your way is what makes everyone miss every green light.

Keeping them in the back would make the traffic better and SAFER.

Its inconsiderate to let them pass.

I would reckon that you have never ridden a motorbike in your life. How is that a motorcycle, less than a quarter of the size of the average car, be the cause of traffic jams. Letting them all up front of a traffic Q makes good sense. They bunch close together, take off at far higher accelleration than most cars, clearing space for the dozy car drivers who had fallen asleep as they fumble with the gear shift only to find that the light has turned red again.

If all car drivers would line themselves up in a straight line with headlight to tail light instead of the zig-zag fashion you tend to find then the motor cycles could pass on either side allowing those turning left to do so without hinderence, and those turning right or going straight ahead to get into position for a quick getaway.

Just because your car cost 10x the price of a motorbike gives you no right to be the "heh I'm richer, therefore better, than you, cause I got a car" bitch. Motorbikes are far more economical, per passenger mile, than most cars. and therefore good for the environment. Your car only satisfies one thing...your overinflated ego.

Edited by KKK

Yeah a couple points. When coming out of a small soi onto the main Soi approx zero people will yield to let you in. Normally you have to wait till someone is turning INTO your soi & thus partially blocking oncoming traffic & then you bull your way in. Be sure to smile & nod your head as you are doing this.

Second yes junctions are a huge problem. Example Rama 4 where it joins Sukhumvit but this is true for all intersections. Rama 4 gets the green light great Le Mans start. But when the light turns yellow & red the impatient & rude drivers keep coming and block the intersection. Sad to say but these junctions all need police supervising them during morning & night rush hour.

So to answer the OP question. No they are not considerate. I do try & lead by example. I extend my had to allow others to go in front of me.

KKK, agree 100%. What surprises me is that Thais believe themselves to be Buddhists, waiing on each spirit house, wearing amulets, keeping altars on dashboards, however Buddhism teaches Love and Compassion to all living beings, and where is it?

I think everyone is aware of the upsetting parts, so i'll just point out a positive thing,

they signal far more often these days to explain their intention, just a pity that often the signal is left forgotten after the turn, but that also goes for many falang's

I think everyone is aware of the upsetting parts, so i'll just point out a positive thing,

they signal far more often these days to explain their intention, just a pity that often the signal is left forgotten after the turn, but that also goes for many falang's

Yes i have forgotten my signals once or twice too. It happens (mostly on the bike not the car)