Campaign For Impeachment Of Thai FM Surapong

webfact

Here we go. The Dems now want PTP disolved because Thaksin is going to Japan.

How will impeaching a minister get the PTP dissolved?

tulsathit Democrats have extended their Thaksin visa campaign beyond Surapong. They have implicated Yingluck and sought dissolution of PT.

from twitter. guess the dems fancy the prosepcts of an uprising that will dwarf the last one. hopefully the charter will be changed before this circus goes on again

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you don't believe the Japanese minister that said that the Thai government requested Japan to give Thaksin a visa?

I don't believe anything that starts with the words, "The opposition Democrat Party...."

It wasn't "the opposition Democrat Party" that stated that the Thai government had requested Japan to give Thaksin a visa.

OK, here's the WHOLE opening paragraph (my emphasis).

The opposition Democrat Party yesterday launched a campaign to seek impeachment of embattled Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul, whom it accused of helping ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra get a visa to Japan despite his status as a fugitive convict.

You are right, the Dems never stated that the Thai government had requested Japan to issue the visa. They accuse the Thai government of doing it.

Here we go. The Dems now want PTP disolved because Thaksin is going to Japan.

How will impeaching a minister get the PTP dissolved?

tulsathit Democrats have extended their Thaksin visa campaign beyond Surapong. They have implicated Yingluck and sought dissolution of PT.

from twitter. guess the dems fancy the prosepcts of an uprising that will dwarf the last one. hopefully the charter will be changed before this circus goes on again

I hope Tulsathit's got it wrong. There are justifiable reasons to take down this government but even if true, this visa issue is not one of them. Sack the FM, sure.

Given the recent revelations about the lies told in regards to the extradition warrant I would have thought the Dems would be keeping a pretty low profile right about now.

Apparently not. Their arrogance and stupidity just continues to dig them a much bigger hole for themselves politically and in the minds of the general populace.

WOW so you know what the ENTIRE general populace of Thailand is thinking? Cool neat trick.. cause all the Thai's I know and talk to are sick of the PTP already for not doing anything to this point that they promised but rather spending all their time on things that seem to be benefiting only one man... funny that

OK, here's the WHOLE opening paragraph (my emphasis).

The opposition Democrat Party yesterday launched a campaign to seek impeachment of embattled Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul, whom it accused of helping ex-prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra get a visa to Japan despite his status as a fugitive convict.

You are right, the Dems never stated that the Thai government had requested Japan to issue the visa. They accuse the Thai government of doing it.

And here's reports of the Japanese government confirming it: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-15/thaksin-granted-visa-to-japan-after-sister-sworn-in-as-thailand-s-premier.html

Thaksin was granted a visa by Japan at the request of the Thai government, Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told reporters today.

I hope Tulsathit's got it wrong. There are justifiable reasons to take down this government but even if true, this visa issue is not one of them. Sack the FM, sure.

Thailand does deserve a qualified and diplomatic FM for sure. Maybe Surapong should just resign

I think we can all see where this is going if the Dems do go for disolution over this, and it isnt going to be nice

Given the recent revelations about the lies told in regards to the extradition warrant I would have thought the Dems would be keeping a pretty low profile right about now.

Apparently not. Their arrogance and stupidity just continues to dig them a much bigger hole for themselves politically and in the minds of the general populace.

And another point would be a simple question asked: " What passport was used for a Japan visa issuance"? IF Thaksin was using a Montenegrin passport, wouldn't all this hullabaloo be in vain as using a non-Thai passport would be out of Thai jurisprudence?

No, not when the request was made from thailand. Not rocket science as far as knowing what's going on here with the visa BS.

Foreign Minister Shrugs Off Impeachment Effort

Foreign Minister Surapong Towijakchaikul has played down the Democrat Party's impeachment attempt against him, claiming that it is just the Opposition's way of doing things and insisting that the new government has no intention of aiding former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towijakchaikul has commented on the Democrat Party's attempt to impeach and bring criminal charges against him, saying it is simply the Opposition's nature to do so.

Surapong insisted he has never violated any law and urged the Democrats to stop resorting to such a political ploy.

In any case, he reiterated that the current administration aims to work hard with support from lawmakers.

The foreign minister asked the Opposition to put politics aside and work together with the government to benefit the country and the people.

When asked whether he would be targeted for criticism, particularly during the government's policy announcement at Parliament, Surapong said he is prepared to answer all policy-related inquiries.

He reaffirmed that the new government has no intention of aiding former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

He urged the Opposition to stop playing political games or they would further alienate the people.

The foreign minister also said that he has been briefed about the current problems at the Foreign Ministry.

However, Surapong did not go into detail, saying that he will wait until the government's official policy statement is delivered.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra remarked on the impeachment attempt, saying the issue will be clarified by the Foreign Ministry according to procedure.

However, Yingluck believes that Surapong has not overstepped his authority nor his appointment as foreign minister is considered the government's weakness.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-08-19

footer_n.gif

The Dems really should be focusing on shooting down the domestic policies and campaign promises that PTP made. There's enough ammunition for them to use. The current government's actions re Thaksin going to Japan should be way down the list. In my humble opinion the average man on the street isn't concerned with politics and really couldn't give two shits about what Thaksin's up to. They're more concerned with putting bread on the table etc. The Dems would gain more brownie points after their election loss in pointing out the new government's failings regarding what it's going to do for the Thai people. There's a lot of sitting ducks for them to take a shot at.

The job of the opposition is to keep the government in Check

That is all things

Not just the things you think are important

So basically by the Dems actions so far we're going to be treated to another millenium of wailing and gnashing of teeth every time Thaksin takes a dump as opposed to criticising the government for their failure to live up to election promises etc. which any opposition with the maturity above that of the average 10 year old would do. Can't wait.

Edited by mca

K. Surapong reaffirmed that the new government has no intention of aiding former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

So the Japanese official saying the Thai government explicitly asked for a visa for k. Thaksin to be granted, is lying through his teeth?

So basically by the Dems actions so far we're going to be treated to another millenium of wailing and gnashing of teeth every time Thaksin takes a dump as opposed to criticising the government for their failure to live up to election promises etc. which any opposition with the maturity above that of the average 10 year old would do. Can't wait.

In this case, the Democrats aren't worried about Thaksin. They're going after the government ministers that are assisting him.

The Dems really should be focusing on shooting down the domestic policies and campaign promises that PTP made. There's enough ammunition for them to use. The current government's actions re Thaksin going to Japan should be way down the list. In my humble opinion the average man on the street isn't concerned with politics and really couldn't give two shits about what Thaksin's up to. They're more concerned with putting bread on the table etc. The Dems would gain more brownie points after their election loss in pointing out the new government's failings regarding what it's going to do for the Thai people. There's a lot of sitting ducks for them to take a shot at.

Agreed. It seems the DEMS still do not realise how they lost the election. I believe that the perception that Thaksin was behind PT was quite instrumental in winning the votes of the North East. However, instead of trying to counter that, they are going after his stooges. By doing that, they will merely alienate themselves more from this very important grassroot voting class.

Amazing that considering how highly educated Abhisit is, they can't formulate a simple strategy to try and win future elections.

Agreed. It seems the DEMS still do not realise how they lost the election. I believe that the perception that Thaksin was behind PT was quite instrumental in winning the votes of the North East. However, instead of trying to counter that, they are going after his stooges. By doing that, they will merely alienate themselves more from this very important grassroot voting class.

Amazing that considering how highly educated Abhisit is, they can't formulate a simple strategy to try and win future elections.

In most elections there are winners and losers, or maybe some who win more than others. Amazingly even in Europe with an agreed average high level of education not all parties participating in an election win enough seats to be able to form a government. Amazing, truly, even in Thailand.

As for 'Dem's not realising they lost the election', plain and simple BS. The Dem's have taken up their position as (largest) opposition party and are functioning. They do their job whereas Pheu Thai party members and cabinet members seem only interested in 'get Thaksin back'. The only 'grassroot voting class' the Dem's may upset are red-shirts from North and North-East who wouldn't vote for Dem's even if there were no other parties to vote for. Get real, dear chap.

Edited by rubl

What contempt you must have for Thai people to think they can't piece together the fabric of lies that is the PTP. I understand Thaksin and his family's motivations. They're greedy leeches that suck whatever they can from the public treasury and whatever monies they can garner for selling favors. What I absolutely don't understand is those that would defend or support them in those endeavours.

In most elections there are winners and losers, or maybe some who win more than others. Amazingly even in Europe with an agreed average high level of education not all parties participating in an election win enough seats to be able to form a government. Amazing, truly, even in Thailand.

As for 'Dem's not realising they lost the election', plain and simple BS. The Dem's have taken up their position as (largest) opposition party and are functioning. They do their job whereas Pheu Thai party members and cabinet members seem only interested in 'get Thaksin back'. The only 'grassroot voting class' the Dem's may upset are red-shirts from North and North-East who wouldn't vote for Dem's even if there were no other parties to vote for. Get real, dear chap.

You've lost me there. I posted "It seems the DEMS still do not realise how they lost the election" which you edited to be "As for Dem's not realising they lost the election". As far as I know, the Dems did lose the election. Further, they lost the election due to the number of wards they lost in the North East. What's unREAL about that?

You've lost me there. I posted "It seems the DEMS still do not realise how they lost the election" which you edited to be "As for Dem's not realising they lost the election". As far as I know, the Dems did lose the election. Further, they lost the election due to the number of wards they lost in the North East. What's unREAL about that?

In this case it doesn't matter. As for 'lost to wards lost in NE' ???????

In this case it doesn't matter. As for 'lost to wards lost in NE' ???????

a 'ward' is an area of population in which eligible voters get to vote from a list of candidates standing for election in said ward. Must admit that I've only heard 'ward' used in reference to local/regional government, the norm wrt MP's is 'constituency'. Hope this clarifies, uncle Rubl.

Using my favourite phrase of the moment in the interests of fairness and balance I seem to recall a certain ex-Deputy PM who gave the job as his secretary to his common law wife's son. A lad who by his own admission after studying abroad for a number of years wasn't too sharp at writing Thai.

Cronyism? Nah. Suitability for the job? I guess so. :unsure:

Edited by mca

Ah yes..... the visa BS, same same the passport BS, along the same lines as the 'Interpol warrant' BS....

Never, in the history of Thailand has so much BS been created by so many people about one man.

Isn't Public-Relations wonderful ?! :lol:

Ah yes..... the visa BS, same same the passport BS, along the same lines as the 'Interpol warrant' BS....

Never, in the history of Thailand has so much BS been created by so many people about one man.

Isn't Public-Relations wonderful ?! :lol:

Politics is all PR

They could shelve the plans for nuclear power indefinitely and build some BS powered ones.

" Chiang Rai has suffered some power shortages recently Sombat. I want you to phone the press and state that Thaksin Shinawatra has been given the keys to the city of New York for his fight in clearing his name against the obviously trumped up charges against him. Say that the use of the phrase "trumped up charges" came direct from Brad Pitt "

PM defending foreign minister

news2011-08-20_01-07-41_255408200001_Yingluck13.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 August 2011 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has once again defended Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul, saying that Mr Surapong has the due quality.

Speaking in counter to the Democrat Party’s movement to impeach the minister, Ms Yingluck said she would let everything go on according to the procedure while the government was ready to clarify. She believed that Mr Surapong had done in line with the procedure and he was not the ‘weakest link’ of the government as criticized.

The Democrat Party is reportedly preparing to impeach the minister for allegedly negotiating with Japanese authorities to get a special visa for ex-Prime Minister Police Lieutenant Colonel Thaksin Shinawatra before the government elucidates the policy statement to Parliament.

Ms Yingluck said, besides, that it was normal for the foreign minister to meet with ambassadors of any countries because the government has a policy to enhance healthy ties with other countries. She then asked the society to give Mr Surapong and her government a chance to work.

The prime minister stated that her government was so eager to work and ready to explain everything. She also stressed that she did not make a wrong choice to select Mr Surapong as the foreign minister.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-20 footer_n.gif

How does assisting an individual who is wanted in connection with crimes in the country she is Prime Minister in obtain a visa improve ties between Japan and Thailand? Irrespective of the individuals involved it shows how weak law enforcement actually is here to a global audience.

She also stressed that she did not make a wrong choice to select Mr Surapong as the foreign minister.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-08-20 footer_n.gif

She selected him?

Actually she's saying nothing but the truth if indeed her brother selected Surapong. :D

PM defending foreign minister

Ms Yingluck said, besides, that it was normal for the foreign minister to meet with ambassadors of any countries

Her troubles began on August 9 when she announced the name of Thailand’s new foreign minister — a distant relative loyal to Thaksin with no diplomatic or ministerial experience.

Surapong Towichukchaikul did himself no favours when he called a meeting two days later — his first as a minister — with a Japanese diplomat to request a visa for Thaksin to visit Japan.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/views/161959-thaksin-revival-risky-for-thai-pm.html

Reuters - August 19, 2011

The above action was taken even before he assumed his office spaces last Wednesday.

Edited by Buchholz

What contempt you must have for Thai people to think they can't piece together the fabric of lies that is the PTP. I understand Thaksin and his family's motivations. They're greedy leeches that suck whatever they can from the public treasury and whatever monies they can garner for selling favors. What I absolutely don't understand is those that would defend or support them in those endeavours.

And the other team... the erstwhile squeaky clean and always politically correct opposition? What's their track record on nepotism, cronyism and graft apart from some self-proclaimed divine right to the front row at the deep trough of feudal patronage?

The Thai people knew EXACTLY what they were getting when the (s)elected this pig in a poke. The last thing they need is another foreigner telling them they don't know what's good for them.

Thaksin IS the next big thing for Thailand, always has been, always will be and there's bugger all that all these disaffected gum-beaters can do about it.