Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my dual entry tourist visa (in Toronto) on the 17th of August and arrived in CM on the 24th. The visa app has a section asking for flight/vessel name, number etc. it asks for details of where I was to stay, how long I intended to stay, guarantor etc. I had none of this filled out since I really didn’t know at the time. Yes, I had my one way ticket in my pocket but the fellow at the consulate didn’t care one way or another if any of that was filled out. All he wanted to see was name and passport number. I wish I had a screen grab of the Foreign Affairs website to see how much change has actually happened. So, either the sky is falling or you’ll need to buy a 2,000B throw away ticket to Phnom Pehn.

I got my dual entry tourist visa (in Toronto) on the 17th of August and arrived in CM on the 24th. The visa app has a section asking for flight/vessel name, number etc. it asks for details of where I was to stay, how long I intended to stay, guarantor etc. I had none of this filled out since I really didn't know at the time. Yes, I had my one way ticket in my pocket but the fellow at the consulate didn't care one way or another if any of that was filled out. All he wanted to see was name and passport number. I wish I had a screen grab of the Foreign Affairs website to see how much change has actually happened. So, either the sky is falling or you'll need to buy a 2,000B throw away ticket to Phnom Pehn.

Yet another recent member report from a western country where the Thai consulate isn't asking for or requiring airline tickets and/or proof of accommodation in order to issue tourist visas to its own citizens.

And, that approach is consistent with the web page info re tourist visas for the Thai consulate in Toronto, which makes no mention of either of those things being required for Canadian citizens.

http://www.thaiconsu...o.com/visas.php

Tourist Visas This type of visa will be issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom of Thailand for tourism purposes for a stay longer than 30 days..

1. Requirements for obtaining a tourist visa:

• Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months. The passport must be valid for travelling to Thailand.
  • Visa application form completely filled out for each passport.
  • One recent official passport photograph of the applicant ( 5 x 7cm) taken within six months of application.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Friend of mine just got back from Phnom Penh.

He got a double-entry tourist visa. Did not go through an agent. He went to the embassy himself.

And his passport is north African.

I don't know if they're trying to generate traffic or what, but I'm really thinking this Thaivisa report was a bit of dubious scaremongering.

Before you start condemning the information found on Thaivisa you had better find out what your North African friend had to submit in order to obtain his double entry tourist visa. North African countries already had to supply proof of return tickets and confirmed accommodation before this most recent announcement.

Let me shoot myself in the foot again. Tourism is at its all time low, how else can we $%^& it up ?

The numbers do not bear out your statement.

Really...........not sure who is putting your #'s into yourhead, but since I am part of the tourist industry and it has a direct impact on me first hand, I think I might know a little more than you and actually KNOW what I am talking about. Check the hotels, guests houses, etc., etc., see how many are really even half full, check out the night clubs, take a tour on Walking Street, 4 years ago you bumped shoulders with the crowd, now not even at arm's length and when it does get crowed its much later in the evening. Please do not follow the tourism propaganda reports that's being put out............

Edited by BigSkip

Friend of mine just got back from Phnom Penh.

He got a double-entry tourist visa. Did not go through an agent. He went to the embassy himself.

And his passport is north African.

I don't know if they're trying to generate traffic or what, but I'm really thinking this Thaivisa report was a bit of dubious scaremongering.

Before you start condemning the information found on Thaivisa you had better find out what your North African friend had to submit in order to obtain his double entry tourist visa. North African countries already had to supply proof of return tickets and confirmed accommodation before this most recent announcement.

He gave his apartment address. Did not supply any airline tickets.

Let me shoot myself in the foot again. Tourism is at its all time low, how else can we $%^& it up ?

The numbers do not bear out your statement.

Really...........not sure who is putting your #'s into yourhead, but since I am part of the tourist industry and it has a direct impact on me first hand, I think I might know a little more than you and actually KNOW what I am talking about. Check the hotels, guests houses, etc., etc., see how many are really even half full, check out the night clubs, take a tour on Walking Street, 4 years ago you bumped shoulders with the crowd, now not even at arm's length and when it does get crowed its much later in the evening. Please do not follow the tourism propaganda reports that's being put out............

Perhaps parts of the sex-tourism industry are running slow at present, but check out the higher end of the market. For example, the Hilton is doing well even in this quiet season. Also, check out the Arab and Indian parts of town - always busy. The mix is different these days, but Pattaya is doing fine overall.

Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for Tourist visas for Thailand.

Does this apply to "Visa Exempt" entry also?

What happens if the tourists are staying with friends?

Or if you are married to a Thai citizen and will be staying at their/your residence.

Too me this sounds like another way to kill tourism.

Unfortunately, nothing will stop the throngs of sex tourists heading for Pattaya.

So, what's your problem with it? No one is forcing you to go there.

If you don't like prostitution why are you living in LOS, as the Thai sex industry is huge, or is it just farangs having sex that you don't like?

These "I don't like the sex industry in Thailand" posters always amuse me since most of the guys around here would have NEVER discovered Thailand if it wasn't for the sex industry. Either that or they are female.

Thanks for reminding about George's promise of an update on this thread... post #173... I hadn't noticed that particular post before in the 15+ pages of this thread now... It's now Thursday, and well past the promised early part of the week, and nothing updated.

Clearly, the supposed changes cited in the OP of this thread are not being comprehensively enforced right now....or even communicated, since just in the past couple days there has been direct communication reported by members with consulates in places such as Portland Ore. and Liverpool UK who flatly say that NO policy change has occurred.

And even in nearby SE Asia consulates, in the past few days, there have been very mixed reports from TV members going on tourist visa runs about whether the airline ticket and hotel reservation notions are or aren't being enforced...

Kind of like the supposed new rules for retirement extensions...that never really happened... And kind of like the supposed new rules for 90 day reports that, at least thus far, haven't happened in BKK and other places...

In my old line of work, we had a saying that went something like:

"It's good to be first, but you'd better also be right...." I always thought that was good advice.

It's one thing to say, "We're hearing about some possible changes," or, "Some consulates are tightening their rules..."

It's another thing to flatly say, "The rules have changed and the new rules are being enforced now, period."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Why do people always have ago about the fake teachers on tourist visas?

What about the fake tourists? People who stay as "tourists" but in fact are long term residents. Those that are married or retired but complain about putting money in a Thai bank.

In my opinion the new law is aimed at these people. Those that, in the eyes of the Thai Government, are not tourists.

Can't see it affecting backpackers. They would usually travel around quite a lot and border hop. Would imagine a 30day voa would probably be enough for them.

What about the fake tourists? People who stay as "tourists" but in fact are long term residents. Those that are married or retired but complain about putting money in a Thai bank.

In my opinion the new law is aimed at these people. Those that, in the eyes of the Thai Government, are not tourists.

Can't see it affecting backpackers. They would usually travel around quite a lot and border hop. Would imagine a 30day voa would probably be enough for them.

A man of reason and discrimination, your post will be over looked not enough whining and crying

define "tourist"

define "fake"

Sent off my bare bones (form, photos and PP) visa application to Hull today.

PP with triple entry tourist visa valid for 6 months in my hand. No additional documents sent, said length of stay was 60 days on the form and put down the usual address of where I will be staying which is actually that of the local bar. Reason for visit was tourism BTW.

Regardless of what other issuers are doing, Hull works as per usual.

Just for information, You can get a refund on a Lao Airlines ticket for a $25 US penalty charge, cheaper than a 2000 baht throw away ticket.

Why not just buy a fully refundable ticket from a larger international airline?

As far as i know there is no fully refundable tickets any more. Every airline takes some sort of "handling fee" in cases like this what ever ticket you have bought :angry:

Just for information, You can get a refund on a Lao Airlines ticket for a $25 US penalty charge, cheaper than a 2000 baht throw away ticket.

Why not just buy a fully refundable ticket from a larger international airline?

As far as i know there is no fully refundable tickets any more. Every airline takes some sort of "handling fee" in cases like this what ever ticket you have bought :angry:

Take an email confirmation you have from a previous trip.

Change the dates.

Print it out.

Problem solved.

Some very unresourceful nervous nellies on here.

So what transpired at the George/MFA interview (see post 173)

and more to the point why have the members not been kept up to date with any progress?

Even if George has not made any progress it would be common courtesy to let the members know what has happened.

I am in contact with them, but haven't got the right guy on the phone yet. Will advise soon.

Take an email confirmation you have from a previous trip.

Change the dates.

Print it out.

Problem solved.

Some very unresourceful nervous nellies on here.

Thanks for posting the obvious.

You don't hear from others about such procedures simply because most of them know that posting such recommendations is against forum rules.:lol:

I just telephoned the Royal Thai Consulate in Brisbane and asked for their current requirements for a 60 day tourist visa and they advised that there were no changes to requirements providing you are an Australian citizen.

Flight number of the airline you will be flying into Thailand on OR a copy of your airline ticket.

There is a space on the visa application form to put the flight number.

Application by mail.

From the "Application for Visa" form. Royal Thai Consulate-General, Brisbane.

Date of arrival in Thailand.

Traveling by.

Flight No or Vessels name.

Duration of Proposed Stay.

Date of previous visit to Thailand.

Purpose of Visit. [ Tourism][Transit][business][Diplomatic /Official][Other](please specify)

Proposed Address in Thailand.

Name and Address of local Guarantor.

Tel/Fax.

Name and Address of Guarantor in Thailand.

Tel/Fax.

Signature and Date.

Attention for Tourist and Transit Visa Applicants.

I hearby declare that the purpose of my visit toThailand is for pleasure or transit only and in no case shall I engage myself in any profession or occupation while in the country.

Signature and Date.